Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis 18:47 - Oct 15 with 6912 viewsNorthernr

If you've come out of recent QPR games thinking "what the fck was that?" then help is at hand in the form of two deep dive analytical pieces for you this international break.

First, it's Dan Lambert returning to us for a second season looking at how an amateurish press and highly risky man v man approach behind it means you can consistently get in on our goal with just one or two correctly executed passes.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/61070/qpr%E2%80%99
QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 16:44 - Oct 16 with 2111 viewsTK1

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 15:49 - Oct 16 by ngbqpr

I agree TK, maybe he doesn't read the club as well as he thinks.

I know Clive isn't fond of fanbases (including a section of ours 'of a certain vintage' - eg me and, judging by the recent poll, a majority of LFWers) who like to think their club has a certain way of playing, a DNA etc - West Ham 'academy', Everton 'School of Science' etc etc.

However what I would say of our fanbase after 50 years of observation is we like to be entertained - and (if I may slip into a Beale-ism) we enjoy front foot football. When your team rarely wins much, this is what keeps you coming back.

This may be centred round a maverick number 10, of which we have been blessed with so many. It could be WarbsBall at its best, when we didn't pIss around with it at the back but got it forward smartly, and won home games 4-2. Equally it could look more old school on paper, but involve Sinton feeding Les, or Cook plonking it on Furlong's reliable bonce. EXCITING.

All of those variants are on top of the "players who give 100% for the shirt / empty the tank / leave nothing out on the grass." I don't think I've heard Gaz say much if anything about aspiring to an exciting brand of football. I think he wants to build a cave, Olly-style - but the Olly teams, including the ones GA played in, were fun to watch as well as being organised, and having some street smarts.

Yes, agree strongly with this. There is a QPR way, and it does matter, because when we deviate too far from it - thinking in my lifetime Mullery, Harford (R), Hart (obviously), Sousa, JFH and unfortunately Ainsworth - it's like watching us trying to dance in clothes that don't fit. It jars. It feels like the whole club is buffering. Ainsworth has us buffering to the point of crashing.

There have been experienced managers who've got away with pragmatic football because they've got the required results or improved a preceding disaster, like Gregory, but Gareth is not John Gregory. He is not getting the required results.

Luigi De Canio is a good example of house style winning out over genuine substance. He couldn't speak English, barely took any training sessions, had a lot off-field distractions, but he knew enough to get QPR playing with a bit of flair and in a style that suited the club and the players. Losing 12 and winning 12 out of 35 games = that's very QPR. Ainsworth losing 16 and winning 5 out of 25 is not gonna work no matter how many times he tells me to have faith.
QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 17:13 - Oct 16 with 2009 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Blackpool just out of the play-offs now.
QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 18:52 - Oct 16 with 1831 viewsR_from_afar

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 12:41 - Oct 16 by Northolt_Rs

Maybe he’s just not very good….

Granted, Ainsworth is not the most technically proficient coach - no laughing at the back, please - and is absolutely not delivering at the moment but I will draw people's attention to a line from that fascinating analysis:

"I also do think the players aren’t carrying the instructions out well enough in a lot of the examples shown above".

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 19:33 - Oct 16 with 1748 viewssprocket

Delayed reading as I knew it wasn't going to be pretty. Damning I'd say. You cannot blame the manager completely but the Wycombe stats are no surprise. I cannot believe the owners are sitting on their hands while it's burning but the last couple of years have numbed me to the shitshow that's going on. If we wait too long Warnock will be employed and/or it will be too late to turn it around.
QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 19:38 - Oct 16 with 1739 viewsterryb

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 18:52 - Oct 16 by R_from_afar

Granted, Ainsworth is not the most technically proficient coach - no laughing at the back, please - and is absolutely not delivering at the moment but I will draw people's attention to a line from that fascinating analysis:

"I also do think the players aren’t carrying the instructions out well enough in a lot of the examples shown above".

Perhaps that is because they don't understand the instructions or what they are being asked to do?

That is how it looks to me!
QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 22:01 - Oct 16 with 1565 viewsBenny_the_Ball

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 14:28 - Oct 16 by TK1

The other really worrying thing is that I am not watching these home performances and thinking 'nearly'. I'm watching two or three goal defeats thinking 'could've been worse'. We're so far off at home, millions and millions of miles. Away we can scrape it - like Cardiff, Boro - or feel unlucky (Southampton) but at home we're never really in with a chance. Your most experienced player getting himself sent off after half an hour with a ludicrous two-footer on the halfway line isn't really unlucky. And the last two home games have been two of the most inept, hopeless showings I can remember, including that last relegation season from this level.

It's quite astonishing he's still here. Players must be wondering WTF. Nobody is in charge.

Agree. There have been no fine margins. We're getting our arses handed to us by teams who themselves were in poor form. In some cases (e.g. Watford and Blackburn), the opposition declared early and it could've been a lot worse. Finances notwithstanding, I can't believe GA's still in the job.
QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 00:42 - Oct 17 with 1459 viewsNorthernr

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 22:01 - Oct 16 by Benny_the_Ball

Agree. There have been no fine margins. We're getting our arses handed to us by teams who themselves were in poor form. In some cases (e.g. Watford and Blackburn), the opposition declared early and it could've been a lot worse. Finances notwithstanding, I can't believe GA's still in the job.

Like you say, on two different occasions in a season that is only 11 games old we've been beaten 4-0, and the only reason it wasn't AT LEAST 7-0, 8-0 is because the opposition called the dogs off. Those teams are currently 17th and 20th in the league.
QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 07:51 - Oct 17 with 1307 viewsjohnhoop

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 00:42 - Oct 17 by Northernr

Like you say, on two different occasions in a season that is only 11 games old we've been beaten 4-0, and the only reason it wasn't AT LEAST 7-0, 8-0 is because the opposition called the dogs off. Those teams are currently 17th and 20th in the league.

Yet over half the international break has now gone so it appears that the board have no intention of taking any action at this juncture.
You have to wonder whether it’s
a) because they are so detached from what’s happening that they don’t realise the seriousness of the position we’re in.
b) are aware of it but somehow believe that the current management is capable of turning things around.
c) that they’re relaxed about us being relegated so that we can reset in League One with more favourable financial conditions.
d) or that they simply don’t give a monkey’s any more.
Login to get fewer ads

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 08:28 - Oct 17 with 1266 viewsNorthantsHoop

We can't or won't play through the centre of the pitch. We lack any serious pace and quality in central midfield. Teams like Sunderland and Coventry just stepped up a gear through players like Pritchard and Allen in central midfield able to pass quickly and accurately getting in behind our centre backs. When you watch QPR at home we often get overloaded in the centre of the pitch, massive gaps because of Ainsworth's obsession with wing backs, which seems to me a dated way of playing. In the Coventry game there was a period when we had about 3 or 4 players loaded on the right of the Coventry area in the 1st half and it was so tight by the time anybody got a cross in, it usually ended up high and wide and Coventry had everyone back. Unfortunately we do not have a Pritchard, Bannen or Allen player who can drive forward from centre midfield. I always thought Chair could do this role but because he holds onto the ball so long he will either get caught dithering or try to beat everyone himself. Anyway Ainsworth shoves him wide left yet another example of obsession with wing backs. I remember only a few seasons back how Eze's influence changed once he was moved inside from wide and was able to run through centre of the park and look how he progressed.
[Post edited 17 Oct 2023 8:29]
QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 08:31 - Oct 17 with 1250 viewsDejR_vu

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 12:57 - Oct 16 by TK1

I don't think this is his level. The things he is good at - motivation, vibes, team bonding, underdog football - will only take him so far with players of this level playing teams with good managers and smart coaches. I'm not sure he reads the game nor this club as well as he thinks.
He clearly struggles setting up teams to do anything other than sit back, defend for their lives and hit it long on the counter. Away from home against a better team: fine, he can do that. Give a home game he needs to win, he doesn't appear to have an idea, as this (and our eyes) proves. I bet he gets something out of the next two or three games though, enough to really leave us high and dry come the new year. All three are games he can set for.

The away form has been far better than the home because it’s easier to set up to try not to lose and hit on the counter, than to set up proactively to try to win. It’ll be interesting to see the performance and body language of the players at Huddersfield. They know he’s under pressure. I wonder if they’ll put the effort in, but fall short, not because they’re bad eggs, the opposite, because they know we’ll go down with him in charge. I know there’s a big debate about throwing a manager under the bus, but he’s so far out of his depth, the Board should have acted. It shouldn’t be on the players, but I think they’re the only ones at the club with a clue, sadly.
[Post edited 17 Oct 2023 8:51]

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 08:37 - Oct 17 with 1241 viewsDejR_vu

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 15:49 - Oct 16 by ngbqpr

I agree TK, maybe he doesn't read the club as well as he thinks.

I know Clive isn't fond of fanbases (including a section of ours 'of a certain vintage' - eg me and, judging by the recent poll, a majority of LFWers) who like to think their club has a certain way of playing, a DNA etc - West Ham 'academy', Everton 'School of Science' etc etc.

However what I would say of our fanbase after 50 years of observation is we like to be entertained - and (if I may slip into a Beale-ism) we enjoy front foot football. When your team rarely wins much, this is what keeps you coming back.

This may be centred round a maverick number 10, of which we have been blessed with so many. It could be WarbsBall at its best, when we didn't pIss around with it at the back but got it forward smartly, and won home games 4-2. Equally it could look more old school on paper, but involve Sinton feeding Les, or Cook plonking it on Furlong's reliable bonce. EXCITING.

All of those variants are on top of the "players who give 100% for the shirt / empty the tank / leave nothing out on the grass." I don't think I've heard Gaz say much if anything about aspiring to an exciting brand of football. I think he wants to build a cave, Olly-style - but the Olly teams, including the ones GA played in, were fun to watch as well as being organised, and having some street smarts.

I can’t believe any fan base in the country, at any level, would be happy watching what’s being served up. It’s caveman football being executed poorly.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 08:56 - Oct 17 with 1206 viewsAntti_Heinola

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 07:51 - Oct 17 by johnhoop

Yet over half the international break has now gone so it appears that the board have no intention of taking any action at this juncture.
You have to wonder whether it’s
a) because they are so detached from what’s happening that they don’t realise the seriousness of the position we’re in.
b) are aware of it but somehow believe that the current management is capable of turning things around.
c) that they’re relaxed about us being relegated so that we can reset in League One with more favourable financial conditions.
d) or that they simply don’t give a monkey’s any more.

Well, or
E) they want to get someone lined up properly rather than sacking then losing another few weeks while getting their preferred candidate

Bare bones.

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 09:16 - Oct 17 with 1151 viewsR_from_afar

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 19:38 - Oct 16 by terryb

Perhaps that is because they don't understand the instructions or what they are being asked to do?

That is how it looks to me!

What you say might be true but some of the things the players aren't doing well enough are not complicated. Let me state again, though, that Ainsworth is not delivering and he must take ultimate responsibility for our unacceptable start to the season.

Here are some lines from the analysis piece. These are basics which the players are not getting right:

Failure to track runners the full length of the pitch, and they get a very good chance in our own box from about three passes".

"We have players losing their markers in a man to man system".

"Basic errors like tracking runners really cost us in both the goals shown".

"There are three QPR players highlighted in close proximity in an aim to prevent the cross in the first place. They don’t, it falls to Eccles and he scores from a free shot on goal".

It doesn't matter who our manager is, if the players fail to do these simple things, we will suffer.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 09:47 - Oct 17 with 1098 viewsR_from_afar

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 08:56 - Oct 17 by Antti_Heinola

Well, or
E) they want to get someone lined up properly rather than sacking then losing another few weeks while getting their preferred candidate

Or
F: They're actively trying to sell the club and don't want all the cost of yet another managerial change, and in any case, FFP makes that additional expense difficult.

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 10:19 - Oct 17 with 1039 viewsAntti_Heinola

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 09:16 - Oct 17 by R_from_afar

What you say might be true but some of the things the players aren't doing well enough are not complicated. Let me state again, though, that Ainsworth is not delivering and he must take ultimate responsibility for our unacceptable start to the season.

Here are some lines from the analysis piece. These are basics which the players are not getting right:

Failure to track runners the full length of the pitch, and they get a very good chance in our own box from about three passes".

"We have players losing their markers in a man to man system".

"Basic errors like tracking runners really cost us in both the goals shown".

"There are three QPR players highlighted in close proximity in an aim to prevent the cross in the first place. They don’t, it falls to Eccles and he scores from a free shot on goal".

It doesn't matter who our manager is, if the players fail to do these simple things, we will suffer.

I see your point, but to my mind the players look utterly confused about what they are supposed to be doing. If you are confused on the pitch, if you're not sure of pattern of play or tactics, these are the kinds of things that happen.

Bare bones.

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 10:20 - Oct 17 with 1037 viewsAntti_Heinola

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 09:47 - Oct 17 by R_from_afar

Or
F: They're actively trying to sell the club and don't want all the cost of yet another managerial change, and in any case, FFP makes that additional expense difficult.

if we go down, they'll lose more than the cost of sacking a manager and a couple of coaches, so i doubt it.

Bare bones.

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 10:45 - Oct 17 with 977 viewsTK1

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 10:20 - Oct 17 by Antti_Heinola

if we go down, they'll lose more than the cost of sacking a manager and a couple of coaches, so i doubt it.

They don't want to go down. Of course they don't! But they may have no choice. I just don't think *anyone* in any position of power is up to the task: the manager is not a Championship manager; none of the board know instinctively anything about football either. Yes, they own a club. None of them grew up going to matches, watching teams. They've got into it as a hobby later in life and have picked it up in middle age - even the CEO is not someone who grew up going to or watching football matches. Everyone is adrift. It's all guesswork and hunches. Was there any mention of footballing philosophy at the fans forum? No, because nobody has one.

Nobody is in charge of the sporting model now. Nobody with any power has the slightest idea what they're doing, football-wise. All the coaches do, obviously, Chris Ramsey has a track record but where is he in all this? There are vested interests galore among the coaches and, besides, no power.

Losing Les Ferdinand without having a replacement or a plan to quickly appoint one looked like a disaster to me at the time, and really feels catastrophic now. Glad those clown memes worked - but how is it turning out? It's going to wreck the club. Someone other than Gareth Ainsworth, Lee Hoos, Richard Reily, Amit and Reuben needs to oversee the footballing structure of the club, but they should've sorted that out in the summer.
[Post edited 17 Oct 2023 10:47]
QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 10:48 - Oct 17 with 955 viewsNorthernr

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 10:45 - Oct 17 by TK1

They don't want to go down. Of course they don't! But they may have no choice. I just don't think *anyone* in any position of power is up to the task: the manager is not a Championship manager; none of the board know instinctively anything about football either. Yes, they own a club. None of them grew up going to matches, watching teams. They've got into it as a hobby later in life and have picked it up in middle age - even the CEO is not someone who grew up going to or watching football matches. Everyone is adrift. It's all guesswork and hunches. Was there any mention of footballing philosophy at the fans forum? No, because nobody has one.

Nobody is in charge of the sporting model now. Nobody with any power has the slightest idea what they're doing, football-wise. All the coaches do, obviously, Chris Ramsey has a track record but where is he in all this? There are vested interests galore among the coaches and, besides, no power.

Losing Les Ferdinand without having a replacement or a plan to quickly appoint one looked like a disaster to me at the time, and really feels catastrophic now. Glad those clown memes worked - but how is it turning out? It's going to wreck the club. Someone other than Gareth Ainsworth, Lee Hoos, Richard Reily, Amit and Reuben needs to oversee the footballing structure of the club, but they should've sorted that out in the summer.

Do you want to write this week's preview mate?
QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 11:32 - Oct 17 with 827 viewsNortholt_Rs

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 10:45 - Oct 17 by TK1

Chris Ramsey has a track record….. it looks pretty shít for the last ten years though.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 11:50 - Oct 17 with 792 viewsTK1

QPR’s consistent, persistent failures out of possession – Analysis on 10:48 - Oct 17 by Northernr

Do you want to write this week's preview mate?

Ha! I couldn't fill your shoes adequately.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024