Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Marti channeling El Tel? 11:20 - Dec 5 with 1552 viewsBrisbaneR

Listening to the Open All R's podcast I was interested as Gary Micklewhite described how Terry Venables corrected the problem of sending crosses over the byline for he & Steve Burke. "Where are you aiming?" "The six yard box" "well aim for the penalty spot then" - problem solved. He also told them as he started the conversation that they were the best crossers of a ball at the club. Simple.

It isnt hard to imagine Marti calling in Ilias Chair and telling him he is one of the most talented ball players at the club. "Now Ilias, I want you to put the ball in the danger areas quickly, one touch then send it" "But what if there's no one there boss?" "Getting someone there is my job Ilias, leave that bit to me".

I know its only one half of football but there did seem to be a distinct change. I'm probably getting carried away by this comparison I know, but it's exciting to see long term issues potentially be addressed at last.
[Post edited 5 Dec 2023 11:30]
Marti channeling El Tel? on 11:31 - Dec 5 with 1478 viewsAntti_Heinola

Good point, but definitely worth noting that in both cases (and others) the wide player on the other side made a run to pressure the full back and give us an extra body in the box. I think many times in the past Chair has delayed crossing because he looked up and saw Dykes marked by four defenders with no one else in sight. As you say, MC clearly encouraging players to attack the box more.

Bare bones.

Marti channeling El Tel? on 11:33 - Dec 5 with 1450 viewsdaveB

the number of players in the box is a big change and is why we are having a lot more chances in games, that Stoke game we regularly had 3/4 players in the box rather than the usual 1
Marti channeling El Tel? on 12:00 - Dec 5 with 1350 viewsderbyhoop

Beckham once said he put the ball into danger areas. It was the job of others to get on the end of them.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Marti channeling El Tel? on 12:21 - Dec 5 with 1282 viewsbosh67

I didn't realise until recently that Gary Micklewhite is closely related to Michael Caine. Michael Micklewhite of course.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Marti channeling El Tel? on 13:45 - Dec 5 with 1073 viewshubble

Marti channeling El Tel? on 12:21 - Dec 5 by bosh67

I didn't realise until recently that Gary Micklewhite is closely related to Michael Caine. Michael Micklewhite of course.

Maurice Micklewhite was his birth name.

Although if he had been Micky Micklewhite, things might have turned out differently...

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024