Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Did Begovic play Subbuteo or 4-2-4?? 00:15 - Jan 31 with 1983 viewsJules4367

I have been trying to find a reason for Begovic’s apparent inability or reluctance to distribute the ball quickly and give our speedsters a chance to threaten defences.

Time and again we see Chair, Smyth or Armstrong sprinting away with Begovic having ‘stickem gum’ on his gloves and not even looking to release the ball.

Yes, I’m sure people will tell me that he is simply doing what Marti has instructed and that we MUST play out from the back but I know (from the crowd screaming at him to release quickly and the reaction of the speedsters) that I am not the only one who sees his slow release as contributing to our shortage of attacking chances!

He seems to want all the players in their assigned places before he will let go of the ball. It reminds me of when my brother, friends and I used to play Subbuteo, 4-2-4 and plastic disc table football when much much younger and positioning the pieces before restarting ! He waits till he has waved
Paal, Clarke salter, Cook, Cannon and Field into position then when all set up - he then releases the ball and play restarts!!

Surely if we can see it and the players can see it he must see it!!!

Perhaps he is one of those players who just cannot improvise or see an opportunity in front of him!

The aim of the defence is to stop goals but, if you cannot do that, at least help the attack!!

He doesn’t!!!

[Post edited 31 Jan 0:16]
Did Begovic play Subbuteo or 4-2-4?? on 08:52 - Jan 31 with 1775 viewsTheChef

I thought there were a couple of times he tried to release the ball early and long to the wings but er, I think both times the ball went out of play...

We're definitely missing Dieng's distribution.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Did Begovic play Subbuteo or 4-2-4?? on 09:40 - Jan 31 with 1697 viewsmart_Goblin

I have stated it before and I’ll say it again that I think Begovic is a big part of our problem . Not all of it of course but a sizeable slice .

He does try to release the forwards occasionally but my issue is with how long he takes to just take a simple goal kick . Even if you are doing it short just get it down and play but as the OG post states, he seems belligerent in having us set up in our ‘correct’ positions first which means of course the opposition are too. And then we wonder why we are struggling to get out of our own corner flag areas .
He chooses to start going long every time Dykes has gone off which means it’s invariably coming straight back when we need to keep it most and as for my main gripe which is his complete stubbornness and refusal to ever step outside his box for any reason…it’s unbelievable.
I’ve said before so many times that nearly every goalkeeper now , no matter the division is stepping out of their area when their team have possession and playing as a deep lying centre back which means we can push the centre backs wide and the full backs on or into midfield to create extra options which we desperately lack .
He refuses bluntly and even in the last few seconds on Sunday when Huddersfield had all 10 outfield players camped on the edge of their box , and they hoofed it down field ….he still waved his arms around standing still in his area as if to say “oh you actually want ME to bring the ball foward and help?”
It’s criminal and he is hampering so much of how Marti wants to play . If Marti hasn’t got hold of him he needs too as this is one of the many reasons why we’ll be dragged into league 1.

Not doubting his shot stopping ability but as part of how we attack teams and beat teams he is a liability .
Did Begovic play Subbuteo or 4-2-4?? on 09:50 - Jan 31 with 1658 viewsTheChef

Did Begovic play Subbuteo or 4-2-4?? on 09:40 - Jan 31 by mart_Goblin

I have stated it before and I’ll say it again that I think Begovic is a big part of our problem . Not all of it of course but a sizeable slice .

He does try to release the forwards occasionally but my issue is with how long he takes to just take a simple goal kick . Even if you are doing it short just get it down and play but as the OG post states, he seems belligerent in having us set up in our ‘correct’ positions first which means of course the opposition are too. And then we wonder why we are struggling to get out of our own corner flag areas .
He chooses to start going long every time Dykes has gone off which means it’s invariably coming straight back when we need to keep it most and as for my main gripe which is his complete stubbornness and refusal to ever step outside his box for any reason…it’s unbelievable.
I’ve said before so many times that nearly every goalkeeper now , no matter the division is stepping out of their area when their team have possession and playing as a deep lying centre back which means we can push the centre backs wide and the full backs on or into midfield to create extra options which we desperately lack .
He refuses bluntly and even in the last few seconds on Sunday when Huddersfield had all 10 outfield players camped on the edge of their box , and they hoofed it down field ….he still waved his arms around standing still in his area as if to say “oh you actually want ME to bring the ball foward and help?”
It’s criminal and he is hampering so much of how Marti wants to play . If Marti hasn’t got hold of him he needs too as this is one of the many reasons why we’ll be dragged into league 1.

Not doubting his shot stopping ability but as part of how we attack teams and beat teams he is a liability .

Ha yeah I spotted that on Sunday too at the end - I was like "Begovic where the fck are you??" Like he was rooted to his goal line the whole time.

Did Begovic play Subbuteo or 4-2-4?? on 10:53 - Jan 31 with 1545 viewsdaveB

Cook had a go at him in the first half for not releasing the ball quicker, Willock was in so much space on 2/3 occasions as they were pushing forward to attack Drewe but he ignored that option.
Did Begovic play Subbuteo or 4-2-4?? on 11:08 - Jan 31 with 1483 viewstraininvain

Begovic is the proverbial square peg in a round hole given the style of football we’re trying to play. He’s pretty much incapable of playing as a sweeper keeper and his distribution is nowhere near the level required to pass out from the back.

But here’s the reality- it’s not his fault. It’s pure mismanagement from the club to sign a keeper suited to Ainsworth’s style of football but wholly unsuited to the obvious mid season managerial change that most of us saw coming.

I’m sure Marti must be desperate to replace Begovic with a keeper more suited to the role but there’s no budget to do so. He/we have Amit Bhatia to thank for such brilliant joined up thinking.
Did Begovic play Subbuteo or 4-2-4?? on 11:19 - Jan 31 with 1428 viewsmart_Goblin

Did Begovic play Subbuteo or 4-2-4?? on 11:08 - Jan 31 by traininvain

Begovic is the proverbial square peg in a round hole given the style of football we’re trying to play. He’s pretty much incapable of playing as a sweeper keeper and his distribution is nowhere near the level required to pass out from the back.

But here’s the reality- it’s not his fault. It’s pure mismanagement from the club to sign a keeper suited to Ainsworth’s style of football but wholly unsuited to the obvious mid season managerial change that most of us saw coming.

I’m sure Marti must be desperate to replace Begovic with a keeper more suited to the role but there’s no budget to do so. He/we have Amit Bhatia to thank for such brilliant joined up thinking.

Although I agree with you for the most part , which manager he suits has nothing to do with him just being so slow to distribute the ball from a goal kick or from his arms . But especially goal kicks. It’s like he has a superstitious procedure that he must go through before he can pass the ball backwards into our own corner flags whilst the opposition regroup and squeeze the last breathe out of us .

In fact I’d say there is an argument that being at Bournemouth shows this is more his style as his kicking under Ainsworth was shocking .

And this is our bloody captain remember.
No urgency in anything he did on Sunday and he’s getting slower .
It’s like we should all be humbled and grovelling of his presence in a QPR shirt. Such a whiff of Hughes/ Redknapp era. Drives me nuts
Did Begovic play Subbuteo or 4-2-4?? on 11:20 - Jan 31 with 1427 viewsTheChef

It's a shame we're not more safe otherwise I'd be tempted to give the other keepers a go, looking to next season.

But I suppose Begovic's experience has to count for something?

Although I'm still not keen on having a goalkeeper as captain.

Did Begovic play Subbuteo or 4-2-4?? on 11:39 - Jan 31 with 1383 viewsdaveB

I'm not sure he was suited to Ainsworth either, a crap short term signing
Login to get fewer ads

Did Begovic play Subbuteo or 4-2-4?? on 11:59 - Jan 31 with 1323 viewstraininvain

Did Begovic play Subbuteo or 4-2-4?? on 11:39 - Jan 31 by daveB

I'm not sure he was suited to Ainsworth either, a crap short term signing

We’re talking about the same Ainsworth who complained at the start of this season re the law change to add more time at the end of games for time wasting etc. Wouldn’t be surprised if Begovic taking his time on goal kicks etc was part of the appeal!
Did Begovic play Subbuteo or 4-2-4?? on 13:32 - Jan 31 with 1191 viewsGaryBannister86

Did Begovic play Subbuteo or 4-2-4?? on 11:19 - Jan 31 by mart_Goblin

Although I agree with you for the most part , which manager he suits has nothing to do with him just being so slow to distribute the ball from a goal kick or from his arms . But especially goal kicks. It’s like he has a superstitious procedure that he must go through before he can pass the ball backwards into our own corner flags whilst the opposition regroup and squeeze the last breathe out of us .

In fact I’d say there is an argument that being at Bournemouth shows this is more his style as his kicking under Ainsworth was shocking .

And this is our bloody captain remember.
No urgency in anything he did on Sunday and he’s getting slower .
It’s like we should all be humbled and grovelling of his presence in a QPR shirt. Such a whiff of Hughes/ Redknapp era. Drives me nuts

Absolutely - he stinks the place out, on and off the field. Saw him giving his gloves to some kid after the game, had to wonder if he would have his card machine with him.

An awful signing. Like to think a DofF would have said nope, we have 3 decent young keepers, lets use them instead.
Did Begovic play Subbuteo or 4-2-4?? on 13:46 - Jan 31 with 1143 viewsconnell10

Did Begovic play Subbuteo or 4-2-4?? on 13:32 - Jan 31 by GaryBannister86

Absolutely - he stinks the place out, on and off the field. Saw him giving his gloves to some kid after the game, had to wonder if he would have his card machine with him.

An awful signing. Like to think a DofF would have said nope, we have 3 decent young keepers, lets use them instead.

Agree , I don't think he really wants to be here and see QPR as a massive step down for him. Probably only here because he opened a goal keeping school near us.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Did Begovic play Subbuteo or 4-2-4?? on 15:28 - Jan 31 with 1049 viewsmart_Goblin

Did Begovic play Subbuteo or 4-2-4?? on 13:46 - Jan 31 by connell10

Agree , I don't think he really wants to be here and see QPR as a massive step down for him. Probably only here because he opened a goal keeping school near us.

I’d say that’s almost certainly the reason
Did Begovic play Subbuteo or 4-2-4?? on 21:05 - Jan 31 with 910 viewsSpaceman_P

Did Begovic play Subbuteo or 4-2-4?? on 13:46 - Jan 31 by connell10

I like the bloke and he's made a few good saves for us.... BUT this comment is spot on the money.
Did Begovic play Subbuteo or 4-2-4?? on 21:44 - Jan 31 with 868 viewsconnell10

Did Begovic play Subbuteo or 4-2-4?? on 15:28 - Jan 31 by mart_Goblin

I’d say that’s almost certainly the reason

Yes and that reason sucks.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Did Begovic play Subbuteo or 4-2-4?? on 12:20 - Feb 1 with 708 viewsDannyPaddox

Begovic. Subbuteo school in Chiswick you say? Yes his distribution could be sharper, a lot sharper, but for me he’s won and saved us more points than he’s lost.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024