Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Steve Cook 17:38 - Apr 1 with 6412 viewsNed_Kennedys

Got to say he has been our best signing for ages: a real leader, loads of experience and a great defender. Fan feedback from his previous clubs was unanimously positive and he’s been colossal in our relegation fight. By far our player of the season IMO.
Fantastic bit of business by the club and thank goodness we have him for a second year.
Steve Cook on 19:46 - Apr 1 with 2350 viewsdubaistu

I'd snap up Carl Rushworth up from Brighton (Swansea today keeper on loan), contacted until end of next year with the Seagulls. Only 22 and looks a really good prospect.
Steve Cook on 21:36 - Apr 1 with 2112 viewsdm97

Steve Cook on 18:07 - Apr 1 by cpgerber

If I recall, his signing was criticised by some on this forum at the time because "it's not what the club should be doing".

But I thought it was exactly what was needed, a seasoned pro who's been around for a while and who gets on with the job. Someone who would put in a shift. Shudder to think what could have been if we went for a Sean Goss type academy kid instead.

Its all about getting the balance right. Agreed, we can't just do signing like this, but these are needed and then pick the rough diamonds to learn and grow around the seasoned core.

1/2 of them who add quality and character is great (the Cooks, Hills, R.Dunnes), but as a club we shouldn’t be signing 4 of them in a summer window - at least 2 of whom aren’t improvements. Don’t get me wrong Cook is colossal, but the club has to, and will, go back to signing your Willocks and Paals in summer. Nourry even said as much at end of Jan window hinting the summer will be different.
Steve Cook on 21:38 - Apr 1 with 2105 viewsWestonsuperR

Excellent post-match interview by Cook today, must be on the shortlist for Player of the Year, Cook or JCS IMO.
Steve Cook on 21:47 - Apr 1 with 2013 viewsstainrods_elbow

Steve Cook on 17:58 - Apr 1 by QPRcounsellor

He gave a brilliant and inspired interview after a game this season and one fan on here criticised him for being too negative!

One of the best signings in years.

That was me, and I was mainly worrying that he looked worryingly depressed (as he did) when we were in much more of a hole. Obviously, I'm delighted he's smiling now.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Steve Cook on 21:52 - Apr 1 with 2020 viewsbosh67

Great post match interview. Absolutely grounded. Sheffield Wednesday is huge. Like that the gaffer and Cook see that.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Steve Cook on 21:55 - Apr 1 with 1951 viewsstainrods_elbow

Steve Cook on 18:07 - Apr 1 by cpgerber

If I recall, his signing was criticised by some on this forum at the time because "it's not what the club should be doing".

But I thought it was exactly what was needed, a seasoned pro who's been around for a while and who gets on with the job. Someone who would put in a shift. Shudder to think what could have been if we went for a Sean Goss type academy kid instead.

Its all about getting the balance right. Agreed, we can't just do signing like this, but these are needed and then pick the rough diamonds to learn and grow around the seasoned core.

The LfW opinion piece opined at the time that he was a 'stop gap' and we were being too generous giving him two years even! (He's 32!) As I've been publicly and happily consuming plenty of humble pie since Marti's arrival, I've still plenty more left over for just about everyone else.

This place is all about provocation and opinion, but nothing stays the same in football. Meanwhile, I'm still gorgeously gobsmacked that the Rs are (almost certainly) staying up!
[Post edited 1 Apr 21:55]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Steve Cook on 22:07 - Apr 1 with 1893 viewsHoopstar

My memory of the LFW piece was nothing to do with how good a defender Steve Cook is - he has always been a quality defender, and one easily capable of playing at this level for 2-3 years from that point on.

The piece made the argument that we'd turned Dickie and Dunne, two players we thought we could sell for far more then we paid for, into wrecks of themselves and had to bring in someone like Steve Cook to plug the gap.

Cook has been immense, and would 100% be my captain for next year. A real, genuine football guy that seems to understand the fan aspect. Brilliant as he has been - we ain't selling him for ££s at the end of next season.

Similiar-ish situation with Hayden potentially this year as he has come out saying he'd love to stay on past this season. He's clearly a better player at his role then anyone we've had, and frees Field up but he has just turned 29 and would likely command a high, if reduced, wage. Do we push the boat out and try and sign him to keep building on this period of success, or look for a cheaper, younger alternative that is a higher risk ability wise but may be a sellable asset in two years time?
Steve Cook on 22:17 - Apr 1 with 1845 viewsaston_hoop

Steve Cook on 22:07 - Apr 1 by Hoopstar

My memory of the LFW piece was nothing to do with how good a defender Steve Cook is - he has always been a quality defender, and one easily capable of playing at this level for 2-3 years from that point on.

The piece made the argument that we'd turned Dickie and Dunne, two players we thought we could sell for far more then we paid for, into wrecks of themselves and had to bring in someone like Steve Cook to plug the gap.

Cook has been immense, and would 100% be my captain for next year. A real, genuine football guy that seems to understand the fan aspect. Brilliant as he has been - we ain't selling him for ££s at the end of next season.

Similiar-ish situation with Hayden potentially this year as he has come out saying he'd love to stay on past this season. He's clearly a better player at his role then anyone we've had, and frees Field up but he has just turned 29 and would likely command a high, if reduced, wage. Do we push the boat out and try and sign him to keep building on this period of success, or look for a cheaper, younger alternative that is a higher risk ability wise but may be a sellable asset in two years time?

The Hayden one is interesting, he's been superb and the clamour to sign him this summer will be Johansen levels of noise. But also, he'll presumably be looking at big wages (thats a guess, of course I can't know what he's on). Johansen permanently was a mistake. It will be very interesting to see how the board view this one

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Login to get fewer ads

Steve Cook on 22:19 - Apr 1 with 1840 viewsdaveB

Steve Cook on 22:17 - Apr 1 by aston_hoop

The Hayden one is interesting, he's been superb and the clamour to sign him this summer will be Johansen levels of noise. But also, he'll presumably be looking at big wages (thats a guess, of course I can't know what he's on). Johansen permanently was a mistake. It will be very interesting to see how the board view this one

yeah agree with this, if we can get Hayden I'd sign him but not on a daft contract for multiple years
Steve Cook on 22:26 - Apr 1 with 1806 viewsOldPedro

Steve Cook on 22:19 - Apr 1 by daveB

yeah agree with this, if we can get Hayden I'd sign him but not on a daft contract for multiple years

I guess it will come down too what agreement he comes to with Newcastle as I his contract with them still has 2 years to run. If he gets a good payout from them, he might not be looking for so much in wages from us.

Other point will be, other Championship clubs might try and sign him and offer him more money.

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Steve Cook on 09:03 - Apr 2 with 1544 viewsTheChef

Funny how as a club we've benefitted in recent times from these types of experienced CBs - Dunne, Hill, Nelsen, Cullip, etc.

Keeping him and JCS fit has also been a big help (kudos to the medical team - that strategy of a slow fitness build up from pre season appears to be paying off).

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Steve Cook on 09:16 - Apr 2 with 1477 viewssexton

Steve Cook on 09:03 - Apr 2 by TheChef

Funny how as a club we've benefitted in recent times from these types of experienced CBs - Dunne, Hill, Nelsen, Cullip, etc.

Keeping him and JCS fit has also been a big help (kudos to the medical team - that strategy of a slow fitness build up from pre season appears to be paying off).

And nearly fifty years ago we had McLintock and Webb.
Steve Cook on 09:22 - Apr 2 with 1428 viewscpgerber

Its not impossible, but I find it hard to believe that last season we had a clutch of players "out injured" at any given time and now we're at the end of a tough season and basically have a fully fit squad.

Certainly highlights the prospect of some players just refusing to play or, more likely, faking injuries for one reason or the other.

If I'm not mistaken, JCS has just equalled his most games in a single season ever. Very happy with that, as I think he is an excellent player and alongside Cook, one of our best CB pairings in ages.
Steve Cook on 09:32 - Apr 2 with 1383 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Steve Cook on 09:22 - Apr 2 by cpgerber

Its not impossible, but I find it hard to believe that last season we had a clutch of players "out injured" at any given time and now we're at the end of a tough season and basically have a fully fit squad.

Certainly highlights the prospect of some players just refusing to play or, more likely, faking injuries for one reason or the other.

If I'm not mistaken, JCS has just equalled his most games in a single season ever. Very happy with that, as I think he is an excellent player and alongside Cook, one of our best CB pairings in ages.

Definitely a possibility of players faking injuries last year. I don't suppose we'll ever know for sure.

I thought that Williams dictating an extended pre-season was a damning indictment of the fitness levels under the last management team. We can call it a slow start, we can say that it was to prevent injuries later in the season, but we weren't fit enough for the start of the season or for many, many weeks after it, and nobody changed the start date.

It's as odd a thing as has happened at Rangers in living memory, and that, my friends, is saying something.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Steve Cook on 09:43 - Apr 2 with 1299 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Steve Cook on 22:26 - Apr 1 by OldPedro

I guess it will come down too what agreement he comes to with Newcastle as I his contract with them still has 2 years to run. If he gets a good payout from them, he might not be looking for so much in wages from us.

Other point will be, other Championship clubs might try and sign him and offer him more money.

Yeah, he's going to have no shortage of offers as he's simply too good at this level. Just don't see us signing him permanently unfortunately.
Steve Cook on 10:18 - Apr 2 with 1192 viewsderbyhoop

Steve Cook on 22:17 - Apr 1 by aston_hoop

Allegedly, Hayden is on around £50k per week with 2 years to run on his Newcastle deal. He knows he has no future there, so it will depend on whether they offer an acceptable payoff (£1 million?) so he can go on a free.
We'd probably be front runners to sign him but wages will almost certainly be an issue.

As to Johansen, he looked a decent signing based on his loan spell, but went downhill far more rapidly than anybody could have anticipated.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Steve Cook on 10:26 - Apr 2 with 1144 viewsTheChef

Steve Cook on 09:32 - Apr 2 by BrianMcCarthy

Definitely a possibility of players faking injuries last year. I don't suppose we'll ever know for sure.

I thought that Williams dictating an extended pre-season was a damning indictment of the fitness levels under the last management team. We can call it a slow start, we can say that it was to prevent injuries later in the season, but we weren't fit enough for the start of the season or for many, many weeks after it, and nobody changed the start date.

It's as odd a thing as has happened at Rangers in living memory, and that, my friends, is saying something.

Well you definitely feel injuries less in a winning team compared to a losing team. You don't want to lose your place when the team is doing well.

Still think the medical team deserve a lot of credit though.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Steve Cook on 10:47 - Apr 2 with 1086 viewsCamberleyR

Steve Cook on 09:16 - Apr 2 by sexton

And nearly fifty years ago we had McLintock and Webb.

David Webb wasn't as old as people think he was when we signed him though, he was only 28 so not really at veteran stage by then.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Steve Cook on 13:17 - Apr 2 with 904 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Steve Cook on 19:44 - Apr 1 by NorthantsHoop

Stevie Cook has been great all season and Clarke- Salter has been superb since pairing with him.

Great pair and no shock we are playing way better with that pair commanding the middle.
I watched the video from the Cardiff fan that Boston uploaded and every cross they had we dominated .
Also Marti mentioned he immediatly addressed our defensive and attacking corners seeing how poor we were before he arrived and look at us now.
Cook is the ultimate Pro and team player even in his moment of glory scoring the winner he deflected praise in the interview saying its all about the team.
Fair play to everybody the dark clouds are moving away
Steve Cook on 13:54 - Apr 2 with 781 viewslondonscottish

Steve Cook on 21:47 - Apr 1 by stainrods_elbow

That was me, and I was mainly worrying that he looked worryingly depressed (as he did) when we were in much more of a hole. Obviously, I'm delighted he's smiling now.

I didn't think he was looking depressed last time. To me, he just looked like a bloke who was taking his job very seriously.

Still is. Top fellah.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Steve Cook on 14:36 - Apr 2 with 701 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Steve Cook on 10:26 - Apr 2 by TheChef

Well you definitely feel injuries less in a winning team compared to a losing team. You don't want to lose your place when the team is doing well.

Still think the medical team deserve a lot of credit though.

I agree completely. Doing a great job this year.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024