Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report 17:57 - Apr 14 with 7678 viewsNorthernr

Big thanks (and sympathies) to Alex for filling in for me this week...

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/62332
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 10:20 - Apr 15 with 1645 viewsRed_Ranger

I dont like calling people out but thought JCS was at fault for second goal. No-one has mentioned this, report or otherwise. Purely out of interest does anyone agree?
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 10:31 - Apr 15 with 1590 viewsterryb

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 10:20 - Apr 15 by Red_Ranger

I dont like calling people out but thought JCS was at fault for second goal. No-one has mentioned this, report or otherwise. Purely out of interest does anyone agree?

He was definitely caught out, but it was Willock losing the ball on the halfway line that caused the initial problem.
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 10:56 - Apr 15 with 1514 viewsnadera78

I like Smyth. He's a good guy, works hard in attack and defence, brings pace and attitude to our team, and clearly very much wants to play for QPR. He has his limitations, of course, but I'm happy to overlook those because of the positive things he brings. In the Championship he's best used as an option off the bench - get him on in the second half when we need something, let him run at tiring defenders, make space for other players to work in.
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 11:14 - Apr 15 with 1480 viewsMonkey_Roots

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 10:56 - Apr 15 by nadera78

I like Smyth. He's a good guy, works hard in attack and defence, brings pace and attitude to our team, and clearly very much wants to play for QPR. He has his limitations, of course, but I'm happy to overlook those because of the positive things he brings. In the Championship he's best used as an option off the bench - get him on in the second half when we need something, let him run at tiring defenders, make space for other players to work in.

Agree.

I just wish his finishing and decision making was a bit better - he could absolutely be our top scorer, and the fact that he is often a sub, that speaks volumes for our forwards.
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 11:31 - Apr 15 with 1426 viewssilverbirch

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 08:50 - Apr 15 by RsinWales

Excellent report! Many thanks.

We really are blessed with two great report writers on this site. The quality is way beyond anything I can read anywhere else.

Can only hope that the confidence of the team was not blown away by the gulf in performance between us and Hull. If they felt it like Alex saw it, there could be a lot of damage done...

Yes, we are lucky to have Clive’s writing, to have a high quality sub too is great.
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 12:28 - Apr 15 with 1316 viewsdaveB

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 21:02 - Apr 14 by ParkRoyalR

Abroad so didn't get to game but friend messaged to say Chairs attitude 2nd Half was abysmal (never seen that before myself) so I was much relieved to see Loft for Words group-think is very much alive as Alex becomes the 3rd match reviewer to give Jimmy Dunne a 3 this season.

Frey scored a 5 against Birmingham (for being involved in one move) a performance politely complimented as ineffective, whereas Dykes gets 3 verses of narrative and a 2 (even Austin got a 5 or 6 the day our fans nearly started fighting each other in the side stand at Peterborough arguing over how abject he was)

I posted after Plymouth game cutting inside Dunne with Cook holding a position too deep was a weak-point in our defence that Paul Smyth did well to negate until withdrawn and the the Plymouth Left Back nearly exploited by cutting inside Dunne and shooting over late on.

If I could see this, why, against arguably the two best left sided attackers in the league could Cifuentes not see this risk? Playing Willock in front left Dunne exposed to this against the best player in the league, early goal down and we're struggling.

Cifuentes should have started same team as at Plymouth and got to Half-Time at 0-0 and then risked all 3 of Willock / Andersen / Chair as the opposition tired.

Still let's play to our audience and blame Lyndon + Jimmy heh.

I thought Chair had a poor game but attitude wise he didn't stop trying to create things, just nothing really came off for him.

The match ratings were a bit harsh but Dunne had a poor game and was hooked at half time, that doesn't mean to say he's terrible or there is an agenda against him, it happens he was due a poor game after an outstanding few weeks for him.

I do genuinely love how you've given up on Frey/Armstrong after one bad game each but despite how many bad games Dykes has you just won't have it that he's crap and want to keep giving him more chances.
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 12:52 - Apr 15 with 1266 viewsthehat

Thanks Alex for the report.

Always easy with hindsight perhaps having the 3 luxury players away from home was not the right set up. None of them are great without the ball and all are very poor at tracking back.

It's gone now so it's all about Saturday - Biggest game of the season and if we play our A game hopefully we will have enough to get the 3 points.

Handy that Preston have a long midweek trip and game Tuesday night.
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 13:19 - Apr 15 with 1225 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 11:14 - Apr 15 by Monkey_Roots

Agree.

I just wish his finishing and decision making was a bit better - he could absolutely be our top scorer, and the fact that he is often a sub, that speaks volumes for our forwards.

If anybody sees Paul Smyth today just tell him to watch Ollie Watkins game clinching goal for villa yesterday.
Clear through he just focused on the onrushing keeper and put the ball over him into the corner for a superb goal.
No concern for the tackle from behind ( straight red and PK everytime ) just stay calm and go high or low depending on where the keeper is .
I know he is a brilliant striker but its always the same basics just beat the keeper forget about the defender
Login to get fewer ads

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 13:28 - Apr 15 with 1201 viewsgazza1

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 13:19 - Apr 15 by CLAREMAN1995

If anybody sees Paul Smyth today just tell him to watch Ollie Watkins game clinching goal for villa yesterday.
Clear through he just focused on the onrushing keeper and put the ball over him into the corner for a superb goal.
No concern for the tackle from behind ( straight red and PK everytime ) just stay calm and go high or low depending on where the keeper is .
I know he is a brilliant striker but its always the same basics just beat the keeper forget about the defender

That is why Smyth cost two pence and Ollie Watkins cost Β£50 million!!!! Smyth will score 1 in a 100 with that type of opportunity and Ollie Watkins every other time, if he gets a bit of luck.

Scoring goals is not easy, the hardest thing to do in football.
[Post edited 15 Apr 13:29]
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 13:40 - Apr 15 with 1161 viewsTheChef

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 13:19 - Apr 15 by CLAREMAN1995

Didn't really notice at the time but Smyth had a lot more time to shoot after he'd rounded the keeper, but he rushed it and scuffed the shot.

His first chance after half time somehow looked a lot easier, could have sworn it was in from where I was sat. Still not seen a replay of it though.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 14:00 - Apr 15 with 1096 viewsTheChef

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 13:40 - Apr 15 by TheChef

Didn't really notice at the time but Smyth had a lot more time to shoot after he'd rounded the keeper, but he rushed it and scuffed the shot.

His first chance after half time somehow looked a lot easier, could have sworn it was in from where I was sat. Still not seen a replay of it though.

Found it - five minute mark here. Maybe not the easiest but still should hit the target (i.e. score).

As for the third goal I don't think many keepers are saving that.

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 14:15 - Apr 15 with 1068 viewsPaddyhoops

Great report Alex. Didn’t realise that you had written the report.
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 14:27 - Apr 15 with 1042 viewsParkRoyalR

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 08:49 - Apr 15 by Northernr

Because it was pointed out after repeated reference that I didn't write the bloody Millwall away match report, so we've had to pivot to a groupthink conspiracy that I only agree to employ match reporters as long as they agree to give Dykes a 2 instead of a 4 and continue my personal vendetta against Jimmy Dunne (who's just about my favourite member of the current squad).

Northern......
Apologies for making a bad weekend for us R's even worse on a Monday morning, if you hav'nt given Jimmy Dunne a 3 score this season, then that's one I've got wrong...although another opinion that seems to have become a LfW fact is that Dunne was very poor in 1st Half of season, where I thought he was the only one on your Titanic who decided to find a bucket and try to do something,

Monkey.....
Apologised to Brian last week as he's a topman like Northern and it seemed I played the man and not the ball, although have disagreed with the 'on his heels' Dykes jibe for a very long time now (he was'nt on his toes when trying to intercept the ball for Hull's first two goals and for both Smyth's chances on Saturday)

Dave B....I hav'nt given up on Armstrong just can't see a Winger, a 10 or a Lone Striker in him as are the preferred forward positions theses days, hope I'm wrong, and it was'nt Armstrong's fault the way we played against Sheffield Wednesday. Frey likewise needs a pre-season but has been poor from the off (one side-foot finish aside) missing simple headers yes but all-round play against Birmingham was so poor, just looked like they'd given the shirt to a fan that day; how Dykes gets a 2 for Saturday and Frey gets a 5 v Birmingham is a mystery to me as if you scored Dykes nothing more than his involvement in Smyth's 2nd chance then he scores more than Frey. Still think Smyth is our best option when we opt for a 2nd striker and getting in the right spaces and will surely start taking some of those chances soon.

Terry B has called it the way I see it, does'nt make us right, but if you want to depress yourself even more (than if you've read all the above) watch Ebere Eze's highlights v Liverpool, one touch, get the ball out from under your feet and play the pass you see.
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 15:09 - Apr 15 with 927 viewsE1Hoop

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 14:27 - Apr 15 by ParkRoyalR

Northern......
Apologies for making a bad weekend for us R's even worse on a Monday morning, if you hav'nt given Jimmy Dunne a 3 score this season, then that's one I've got wrong...although another opinion that seems to have become a LfW fact is that Dunne was very poor in 1st Half of season, where I thought he was the only one on your Titanic who decided to find a bucket and try to do something,

Monkey.....
Apologised to Brian last week as he's a topman like Northern and it seemed I played the man and not the ball, although have disagreed with the 'on his heels' Dykes jibe for a very long time now (he was'nt on his toes when trying to intercept the ball for Hull's first two goals and for both Smyth's chances on Saturday)

Dave B....I hav'nt given up on Armstrong just can't see a Winger, a 10 or a Lone Striker in him as are the preferred forward positions theses days, hope I'm wrong, and it was'nt Armstrong's fault the way we played against Sheffield Wednesday. Frey likewise needs a pre-season but has been poor from the off (one side-foot finish aside) missing simple headers yes but all-round play against Birmingham was so poor, just looked like they'd given the shirt to a fan that day; how Dykes gets a 2 for Saturday and Frey gets a 5 v Birmingham is a mystery to me as if you scored Dykes nothing more than his involvement in Smyth's 2nd chance then he scores more than Frey. Still think Smyth is our best option when we opt for a 2nd striker and getting in the right spaces and will surely start taking some of those chances soon.

Terry B has called it the way I see it, does'nt make us right, but if you want to depress yourself even more (than if you've read all the above) watch Ebere Eze's highlights v Liverpool, one touch, get the ball out from under your feet and play the pass you see.

Perhaps the reason that Frey got a 5 at the Birmingham game and Dykes a 2 yesterday is that 2 different people were awarding scores. In the Birmingham game the marks spread between a 5 and an 8 with Frey with a 5 the joint lowest. Yesterday the scores ranged from 2 to 5 with Dykes the lowest on 2. So both were the lowest scores awarded for that game
This is correct for me as all three of our forwards are not producing much. The finishing from all our front players has been woeful for the last six games.
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 15:11 - Apr 15 with 915 viewsdaveB

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 14:27 - Apr 15 by ParkRoyalR

Northern......

Monkey.....

What was Dykes involvement in Smyths second chance other than getting there too late for the follow up?
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 15:25 - Apr 15 with 863 viewsNorthernr

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 15:09 - Apr 15 by E1Hoop

Perhaps the reason that Frey got a 5 at the Birmingham game and Dykes a 2 yesterday is that 2 different people were awarding scores. In the Birmingham game the marks spread between a 5 and an 8 with Frey with a 5 the joint lowest. Yesterday the scores ranged from 2 to 5 with Dykes the lowest on 2. So both were the lowest scores awarded for that game
This is correct for me as all three of our forwards are not producing much. The finishing from all our front players has been woeful for the last six games.

Absolutely right.

People's fascination with the ratings has always perplexed me, and can be very disheartening if you've just written 3,000 words about a fcking QPR game only for the main talking point to be whether somebody deserves a 5 or a 6.

I've been through this before and I'm loathe to do it again for risk of being lectured on what Steve Clarke thinks about it all again by somebody who wasn't in Hull but has had a text message from his mate about it, but I will always go out to bat for the people we hire and use here because the good ones take a long time to find and Alex is clearly fcking good (and he was actually at the fcking game!!) so here goes...

When we do the individual marks they are, to some extent, pinned to a team mark. So if we beat somebody 4-0 away that's going to be up around an 8/9 team mark and the marks will reflect that i.e. probably almost exclusively between 7-9. If we get beaten 4-0 at home by Blackburn then that's going to be a 2/3 team mark and the marks will reflect that as well.

It's blatantly fcking obvious and totally right that you'll be getting higher marks across the board for a 2-1 home win against Birmingham than you are for a 3-0 away defeat at Hull. To win the game and still only get a 5 does not reflect well on Frey.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 15:28 - Apr 15 with 853 viewsParkRoyalR

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 15:11 - Apr 15 by daveB

What was Dykes involvement in Smyths second chance other than getting there too late for the follow up?

What was Dykes involvement in 2nd Chance?

1) Held the ball up well midway inside our half
2) Decent lay-off to Field who played it long to Smyth who's now 40 yards upfield
3) Despite scoreline, runs past Field & Willock who's 15 yards ahead to support Smyth
4) With Smyth again veering weirdly right, Dykes makes up 40yd headstart to get in box
5) At this point not a single other R's player managed to get within 30 yards of them
6) Hull keeper does well to get back to his feet and block off Dykes's run

Have a re-watch on highlights if you disagree, now in my book that level of desire is worth a 3 score on its own!
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 15:32 - Apr 15 with 835 viewsNorthernr

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 15:28 - Apr 15 by ParkRoyalR

2) Decent lay-off to Field who played it long to Smyth who's now 40 yards upfield
3) Despite scoreline, runs past Field & Willock who's 15 yards ahead to support Smyth
4) With Smyth again veering weirdly right, Dykes makes up 40yd headstart to get in box
5) At this point not a single other R's player managed to get within 30 yards of them

Have a re-watch on highlights if you disagree, now in my book that level of desire is worth a 3 score on its own!

I'll take the mark from the guy who was actually at the game.

Unbelievably poor to be pulling apart somebody's work who was at the game based on what you've seen on YouTube and a text from a mate, just because he's dared to say King Lyndon (one away goal in two and a half years) wasn't very good.

Interactive ratings for Hull on Saturday currently at...

smir Begovic 4.58
Jimmy Dunne 4.19
Steve Cook 5.02
Jake Clarke-Salter 4.33
Morgan Fox 4.61
Isaac Hayden 4.05
Sam Field 5.11
Chris Willock 5.65
Lucas Andersen 4.09
Ilias Chair 4.42
Lyndon Dykes 2.25

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 15:51 - Apr 15 with 757 viewsParkRoyalR

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 15:32 - Apr 15 by Northernr

I'll take the mark from the guy who was actually at the game.

Unbelievably poor to be pulling apart somebody's work who was at the game based on what you've seen on YouTube and a text from a mate, just because he's dared to say King Lyndon (one away goal in two and a half years) wasn't very good.

Interactive ratings for Hull on Saturday currently at...

smir Begovic 4.58
Jimmy Dunne 4.19
Steve Cook 5.02
Jake Clarke-Salter 4.33
Morgan Fox 4.61
Isaac Hayden 4.05
Sam Field 5.11
Chris Willock 5.65
Lucas Andersen 4.09
Ilias Chair 4.42
Lyndon Dykes 2.25

Fair enough, I 100% agree you get a much better perspective of a game when you're there than if you watch it on TV,

I don't think I'm pulling apart somebody's work if I disagree respectfully, just reckon if you're scoring a 2 you're at Mark Hateley levels of phoning it in, which if Dykes was, those who do watch the games on TV would have blown up the forum on Saturday at 5pm,

I disagree with a fair few of your opinions on players and even the Manager but most posters seem to agree with you, so I'll save that post for when we've stayed up, hopefully on Saturday night!
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 15:56 - Apr 15 with 735 viewsNorthernr

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 15:51 - Apr 15 by ParkRoyalR

Fair enough, I 100% agree you get a much better perspective of a game when you're there than if you watch it on TV,

I don't think I'm pulling apart somebody's work if I disagree respectfully, just reckon if you're scoring a 2 you're at Mark Hateley levels of phoning it in, which if Dykes was, those who do watch the games on TV would have blown up the forum on Saturday at 5pm,

I disagree with a fair few of your opinions on players and even the Manager but most posters seem to agree with you, so I'll save that post for when we've stayed up, hopefully on Saturday night!

I haven't expressed an opinion about Saturday, scored any players, or questioned the scoring of the players because I was at a wedding instead. It's why I paid for Alex to go and do the report instead.

Mind you I have watched the extended highlights on YouTube and a couple of mates text me Saturday to say we were "fcking crap" so, hey, maybe I should have just written the report myself after all based on what I already thought of the players prior to the game.
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 16:04 - Apr 15 with 691 viewsParkRoyalR

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 15:56 - Apr 15 by Northernr

I haven't expressed an opinion about Saturday, scored any players, or questioned the scoring of the players because I was at a wedding instead. It's why I paid for Alex to go and do the report instead.

Mind you I have watched the extended highlights on YouTube and a couple of mates text me Saturday to say we were "fcking crap" so, hey, maybe I should have just written the report myself after all based on what I already thought of the players prior to the game.

You sure you did'nt........I'm joking!

And I'll add Alex to my apologies list........I just hope he does'nt live on the Isle of Wight too!
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 16:05 - Apr 15 with 692 viewsdaveB

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 15:28 - Apr 15 by ParkRoyalR

It's comical the lengths you go to defend him, are you seriously trying to give him credit for that chance, for the first time all game he finds a QPR player within 2 yards of him, well done Lyndon.

Smyth went weirdly right as the keeper came out to him and they had two men going to the line so he created an angle for himself, pretty much what Begovic needed to do for the second goal. His mistake was not taking an extra touch rather than just shooting but to his credit Smyth remains the only attacking player we have putting himself into positions to get chances

Dykes is the centre forward of course he should be the most advanced attacking player ahead of the midfield for the follow up and when it does come he's had his eyes on the ball unaware of where the defenders are and just runs into the keeper

I was at the game and he was dreadful throughout, some of his crossing just toe punted across hard and high to Chair, if it was the other way around you'd lose your mind. Consistently in the wrong position for a delivery in the box every time whilst he waves his arms in the air at not getting the perfect cross. His hold up play non existent in the final third, lost it almost every time.

He should have been bombed out after that miss against Hull at home last season but we gave him a 3 year deal instead

He's no different to Conor Washington in that ever 3/4 months he'll take one of his chances and everyone hopes that will turn it around then you wait 2/3 months for the next goal. He's still living off a good 4 weeks during lockdown 3 years ago
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 16:10 - Apr 15 with 665 viewsTheChef

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 16:05 - Apr 15 by daveB

It's comical the lengths you go to defend him, are you seriously trying to give him credit for that chance, for the first time all game he finds a QPR player within 2 yards of him, well done Lyndon.

Smyth went weirdly right as the keeper came out to him and they had two men going to the line so he created an angle for himself, pretty much what Begovic needed to do for the second goal. His mistake was not taking an extra touch rather than just shooting but to his credit Smyth remains the only attacking player we have putting himself into positions to get chances

Dykes is the centre forward of course he should be the most advanced attacking player ahead of the midfield for the follow up and when it does come he's had his eyes on the ball unaware of where the defenders are and just runs into the keeper

I was at the game and he was dreadful throughout, some of his crossing just toe punted across hard and high to Chair, if it was the other way around you'd lose your mind. Consistently in the wrong position for a delivery in the box every time whilst he waves his arms in the air at not getting the perfect cross. His hold up play non existent in the final third, lost it almost every time.

He should have been bombed out after that miss against Hull at home last season but we gave him a 3 year deal instead

He's no different to Conor Washington in that ever 3/4 months he'll take one of his chances and everyone hopes that will turn it around then you wait 2/3 months for the next goal. He's still living off a good 4 weeks during lockdown 3 years ago

You finally found the solution Dave, we need to play behind closed doors to get the best out of him

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 16:15 - Apr 15 with 643 viewsRangersw12

Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 16:05 - Apr 15 by daveB

πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Excellent analysis
Three is the cursed number as QPR fall in a hole at Hull - Report on 16:21 - Apr 15 with 612 viewsParkRoyalR

You asked a me a question and I answered it. Fair enough if you can see something different.

Willock is a forward, Dykes ran 15 yards past him and Willock is not within 20 yards of Dykes & Smyth when the ball broke loose, Dykes does'nt run into the Keeper, the Keeper gets up and blocks his run, good defending, if anyone should be questioned its where was Willock as we could have had a 3 on 2 if he could have been as arsed as Dykes.

I'd add that Paul Smyth veering right at Plymouth when running through on goal was one of the weirdest pieces of play I have seen in all my time watching football. Agree Smyth is getting in good positions which is why I posted a bit back he should be our preferred 2nd striker ahead of Frey or Armstrong.

Armstrong & Chair have both toe-punted crosses from great positions in our last two games, so maybe he's just as bang average as them or maybe he's just returning the favour.

Dykes like Dunne, like Cook and JCS has his weaknesses but as Terry B called it, he's by far the most effective of a bad lot, Conor Washington he ain't. All my opinion mind!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024