Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Joe Walsh 14:26 - May 4 with 8444 viewssilky

Special mention to Joe. Thought he had a really solid game. Never saw much of him before today and was really impressed with his display.

Great end to the season! ๐Ÿ‘Œ

Poll: Do you think this current QPR team has got what is takes to go up this year?

Joe Walsh on 16:45 - May 5 with 1364 viewshubble

Joe Walsh on 16:22 - May 5 by Esox_Lucius

From what I have seen of him, and hearing agreement from one of the 1st team players that he is the best GK currently at the club, I wouldn't rule out an appearance between the sticks for Matty Salamon at some point next season. His age is against him atm though.

Hmm, that's very interesting. Apparently his contract expires in June, so I assume the club will get that sorted ASAP.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Joe Walsh on 17:50 - May 5 with 1244 viewsRangersw12

Joe Walsh on 18:41 - May 5 with 1132 viewsPaddyhoops

Kid was brilliant. An 8 from me.
Joe Walsh on 18:49 - May 5 with 1105 viewsjoolsyp

Looking at the highlights he got down really quickly to a couple of those shots, something our more, ahem, senior keeper has struggled with in a few games this season. I know Asmir gets a lot of flak on here but actually I wouldn't be averse to giving him another year (if the price is right) and slowly integrate Joe as first choice over the course of the season. Good pro to learn from.
[Post edited 5 May 20:03]
Joe Walsh on 19:07 - May 5 with 1061 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Joe Walsh on 13:44 - May 5 by nix

Yes, that all makes sense Brian. It's hard to test that in any other way than playing I guess but you need a credible alternative in case it all goes tits up (as I said earlier with Green and Lumley when they got the yips). I tend to get over-excited at the thought of bringing our own guys in and many haven't ended up making it.

I get over-excited too, Nix!
And you've nailed it - it's very hard to test.

I'm a fully paid-up member of the Goalkeepers' Union. But...

In the amateur game many, many great goalies never get a chance because management are reluctant/hesitant/scared to change the player in the one position that they (usually) have no experience or understanding of. They are scared because you can chance a young outfield player in a different position, hoping that someone will cover for him or coax him through, but a goalie is a different thing, isn't it?

He's a bit young, isn't he?
He's a bit thin, isn't he?
He's a bit quiet, isn't he?
He's a bit loud, isn't he?

There's always a reason to not make the change, whereas in every other position management find reasons to make changes:

He's faster than X, we'll bring him in?
He works harder than X?
He's stronger...
etc.

In the professional game, I wonder if many goalkeeping careers are wasted in the same way.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Joe Walsh on 19:17 - May 5 with 1034 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Joe Walsh on 19:07 - May 5 by BrianMcCarthy

In the amateur game many, many great goalies never get a chance because management are reluctant/hesitant/scared to change the player in the one position that they (usually) have no experience or understanding of. They are scared because you can chance a young outfield player in a different position, hoping that someone will cover for him or coax him through, but a goalie is a different thing, isn't it?

There's always a reason to not make the change, whereas in every other position management find reasons to make changes:

He works harder than X?
He's stronger...
etc.

In the professional game, I wonder if many goalkeeping careers are wasted in the same way.

A lot of people outside of coaching (like me) know what a bad keeper looks like but not what a good one looks like too.

Seems a lot of subtle skills go unnoticed to me.
Joe Walsh on 19:18 - May 5 with 1032 viewsnix

Joe Walsh on 19:07 - May 5 by BrianMcCarthy

He works harder than X?
He's stronger...
etc.

Yes I agree it's more of a risk for the manager because I suppose they look bad too if the goalie sucks and as you say it's more obvious in that position cos it's hard to cover for it.

I imagine for the same reason it's hard to get decent loans for our goalie at a League 1 or 2 club as their managers don't want to risk it either, so they don't get a loan at all or they're sitting on the bench while the gnarly old pro gets to play.

I wonder are most of the Prem goalies transferred in from other clubs, as it must be even harder cutting your teeth at that level.
Joe Walsh on 19:34 - May 5 with 1006 viewsQPROslo

That was a very promising debut. Based on that 1 game, all to little I know, and the bits from Devopment games I've seen of Salamon (sp.?), it looks like we have some good young Keepers at the Club.
Login to get fewer ads

Joe Walsh on 19:39 - May 5 with 994 viewsrichpr

Joe Walsh on 17:50 - May 5 by Rangersw12

A 9 from me. Would have been a 10 if he had used a hanky instead of his sleeve before the first save.
Joe Walsh on 19:50 - May 5 with 956 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Let's be fair now, if any of those went in he'd have been disappointed.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Joe Walsh on 20:26 - May 5 with 881 viewsextratimeR

Very impressed with Joe Walsh, instant rapport with Steve Cook, (also with Jake not playing and Cannon in back four) it would have felt a bit different against potentially a very good forward line.

I actually thought his kicking had more distance and accuracy than Begovic,( admittedly not a great benchmark!

As I say, some great saves and a very impressive display.

Well done Joe!
Joe Walsh on 21:39 - May 5 with 793 viewsLogman

Looks good. Very early days though. Its not until he's playing regular Championship football and being systematically targeted that we will know if he is good enough. Certainly though, in him and Salomon we have two that are well worth developing.
Joe Walsh on 01:09 - May 6 with 663 viewsVancouverHoop

Joe Walsh on 18:49 - May 5 by joolsyp

Looking at the highlights he got down really quickly to a couple of those shots, something our more, ahem, senior keeper has struggled with in a few games this season. I know Asmir gets a lot of flak on here but actually I wouldn't be averse to giving him another year (if the price is right) and slowly integrate Joe as first choice over the course of the season. Good pro to learn from.
[Post edited 5 May 20:03]

That's probably because you and I watch a fair bit of the NHL, where a senior keeper who slowly transitions to a younger one isn't that uncommon. But it's a longer season, so a poor game now and again over 80 odd isn't as disastrous as it could be in the Championship. Having said that I agree with you. It's worth the risk, otherwise it's talent wasted. Begovich might be a better teacher/mentor than he is a top level keeper at this point.
Joe Walsh on 07:40 - May 6 with 520 viewsdmm

It's worth remembering we have another promising young keeper in Murphy Mahoney. He was getting rave reviews at Swindon until a bad injury in December cut short his season long loan there. As with Walsh and Salamon, his current contract ends this summer.
Joe Walsh on 07:46 - May 6 with 511 viewsGloucs_R

Joe Walsh on 07:40 - May 6 by dmm

It's worth remembering we have another promising young keeper in Murphy Mahoney. He was getting rave reviews at Swindon until a bad injury in December cut short his season long loan there. As with Walsh and Salamon, his current contract ends this summer.

He was getting mixed reviews. Good shot stopper but not great a crosses and didn't command his box very well. Let in a few howlers too. All standard stuff for a young keeper in fairness.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Joe Walsh on 07:59 - May 6 with 490 viewsdmm

Joe Walsh on 07:46 - May 6 by Gloucs_R

He was getting mixed reviews. Good shot stopper but not great a crosses and didn't command his box very well. Let in a few howlers too. All standard stuff for a young keeper in fairness.

Ah, okay. I must have only seen the good reviews. He is on the short side for a keeper. For his size, you have to be pretty exceptional, like an Alex Smithies or a Lee Camp, to make it at a high level.
Joe Walsh on 09:06 - May 6 with 431 viewsGloucs_R

Joe Walsh on 07:59 - May 6 by dmm

Ah, okay. I must have only seen the good reviews. He is on the short side for a keeper. For his size, you have to be pretty exceptional, like an Alex Smithies or a Lee Camp, to make it at a high level.

I thought that too but read somewhere that he's 6'1. Which is small for a keeper these days. But he looks smaller.

Poll: Are we staying up?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024