Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Family 17:33 - Jun 17 with 888 viewsdmm

No, not mum, dads, brothers, sisters, etc. The 60s/70s prog rock band. I'm currently listening and re-listening to their '68 album "Music in a Doll's House" and find myself knocked out by it all over again. I was utterly fascinated with this album as a teen in the good old days, particularly when on the wacky.

Is anyone else on here a fan of this stupendous band?
Family on 17:53 - Jun 17 with 828 viewsW4Hoop

Don't know this album but I played Bandstand until it wore out. Burlesque was down and dirty. Great band that broke up too soon.
Family on 18:01 - Jun 17 with 817 viewsThird_Division_South

Fearless was a great album and I just loved Roger Chapmans voice. Saw them quite a few times also
Family on 18:02 - Jun 17 with 817 viewsdmm

Family on 17:53 - Jun 17 by W4Hoop

Don't know this album but I played Bandstand until it wore out. Burlesque was down and dirty. Great band that broke up too soon.

Bandstand is a great album and I can't listen to Burlesque without it becoming an earworm for weeks!

Give Music in a Doll's House a listen. It's more "proggy" but magnificent nonetheless.

Family on 18:05 - Jun 17 with 813 viewsdmm

Family on 18:01 - Jun 17 by Third_Division_South

Fearless was a great album and I just loved Roger Chapmans voice. Saw them quite a few times also

It's pretty much my theme tune these days!
Family on 20:29 - Jun 17 with 709 viewsHotCurrie

I used to work with Rob Townsend who was the drummer in Family. He became a session drummer after they broke up and played on a few big hits. By the time I met him, he was running the Tours department at Wembley Stadium by day (I was a teenage Tour Guide) and gigging with Paul Jones's Blues Band at night. He was (and I presume still is) a lovely bloke with a raft of great rock and roll stories.
Family on 20:43 - Jun 17 with 692 viewsSonofpugwash

Roger Chapman sounded like a goat on acid.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Family on 20:44 - Jun 17 with 689 viewsqpr_1968

Family on 20:43 - Jun 17 by Sonofpugwash

Roger Chapman sounded like a goat on acid.

did he have any kids.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Family on 20:45 - Jun 17 with 687 views222gers

Count me in….saw them quite a few times at the Marquee and had a drink with them in the Intrepid Fox over the road.
Bandstand great, particularly Burlesque.
The Marquee was unlicenced in those days, so both bands and fans would drink in the Fox.
Another band we had a pint with was Ten Years After.
Login to get fewer ads

Family on 21:06 - Jun 17 with 647 viewsBoston

Family on 20:44 - Jun 17 by qpr_1968

did he have any kids.

Yeah, but the Nanny brought them up.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Family on 22:09 - Jun 17 with 605 viewsPinnerR

A Leicester band who were just getting big when I arrived at the University. Chappo would regularly come into the Student Union bar, have a couple of pints, then leave a tenner for us students to have a pint on him. Loved the band ever since
Family on 22:57 - Jun 17 with 556 viewsVancouverHoop

Family on 22:09 - Jun 17 by PinnerR

A Leicester band who were just getting big when I arrived at the University. Chappo would regularly come into the Student Union bar, have a couple of pints, then leave a tenner for us students to have a pint on him. Loved the band ever since

Ditto. Except I was at the art college, where Jim King formed the original band. Saw them numerous times and, IMHO, were much better than their albums indicate.
Family on 23:01 - Jun 17 with 550 viewscolinallcars

There were many fine bands that I first saw as support band to better known ones.
I first saw Family playing as support to, I think Rod Stewart or maybe the Jeff Beck group with Rod.
Other support bands were Mighty Baby, and Hookfoot, two of whom went on to play in Elton John's band.
Family on 23:10 - Jun 17 with 542 viewsBoston

Family on 23:01 - Jun 17 by colinallcars

There were many fine bands that I first saw as support band to better known ones.
I first saw Family playing as support to, I think Rod Stewart or maybe the Jeff Beck group with Rod.
Other support bands were Mighty Baby, and Hookfoot, two of whom went on to play in Elton John's band.

Did you ever see Daddy LongLegs?
[Post edited 17 Jun 23:10]

Family on 23:19 - Jun 17 with 519 viewscolinallcars

Family on 23:10 - Jun 17 by Boston

Did you ever see Daddy LongLegs?
[Post edited 17 Jun 23:10]

Name sounds familiar, but no, not really. As they say, if you can remember the 60's you can't have been there.
Family on 23:29 - Jun 17 with 514 viewsBoston

Family on 23:19 - Jun 17 by colinallcars

Name sounds familiar, but no, not really. As they say, if you can remember the 60's you can't have been there.

Mate of mine. Was a mate of Joe Strummer in the early 70's, they kept in regular contact, he has a few unusual Clash memorabilia from the early days.

Family on 06:30 - Jun 18 with 439 viewsdmm

I think Bam of Mighty Baby knocked around Portobello Road in the 60s/70s. My sister had a bit of a fling with him. I've still got a vinyl demo of their first album somewhere.
Family on 12:04 - Jun 18 with 357 viewsjohnhoop

Music in a Doll’s House is a superb album and one of my all time favourites.More melodic and whimsical than anything they did after. The tracks are all short but run together seamlessly, which probably owes a lot to Dave Mason’s production. Saw Family a lot around that time, including their support at the Stones Hyde Park gig, the mostly forgotten Weeley festival and numerous times indoors.
Sometimes wonder what the reaction would be if an album as startlingly creative as that were released now.
Family on 14:04 - Jun 18 with 311 viewsSonofpugwash

Bumped into Al Kooper backstage at Reading Festival 1971 whose backing gutarist was Hookfoot's Caleb Quaye...."F*cking genius" he kept saying.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024