| England 21:38 - Oct 6 with 3702 views | digswellhoop | Harry Kane great player but how many more micky mouse games do they play now compared with the proper players |  | | |  |
| England on 20:18 - Oct 7 with 1072 views | derbyhoop | Given his stats and longevity it's hard to argue that Kane should be considered as the best England striker of all time. Greaves' record is similar but Greaves barely contributed outside the box. Rooney and, much earlier, Finney don't even come close. In terms of best England player ever, you cannot ignore Charlton, Moore, Banks and Shilton. They have to be in the mix. |  |
| "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one's lifetime." (Mark Twain)
Find me on twitter @derbyhoop and now on Bluesky |
|  |
| England on 10:34 - Oct 8 with 820 views | TheChef |
| England on 20:18 - Oct 7 by derbyhoop | Given his stats and longevity it's hard to argue that Kane should be considered as the best England striker of all time. Greaves' record is similar but Greaves barely contributed outside the box. Rooney and, much earlier, Finney don't even come close. In terms of best England player ever, you cannot ignore Charlton, Moore, Banks and Shilton. They have to be in the mix. |
Shilton should have retired after the 86 World Cup though - but he wouldn't do that by himself and Bobby Robson didn't have the balls to tell him otherwise. |  |
|  |
| England on 10:44 - Oct 8 with 803 views | W7Ranger |
| England on 20:18 - Oct 7 by derbyhoop | Given his stats and longevity it's hard to argue that Kane should be considered as the best England striker of all time. Greaves' record is similar but Greaves barely contributed outside the box. Rooney and, much earlier, Finney don't even come close. In terms of best England player ever, you cannot ignore Charlton, Moore, Banks and Shilton. They have to be in the mix. |
Shilton? Not for me. But I am of an age where I only ever remember/saw the 80's onwards Shilton. Mainly the 86, 88 and 90's Shilton, who I feel was a the weak link in those tournaments, particularly in 86 and 90. Beaten in the air by a midget, who's arm wasn't even extended to score the Hand of God goal. And in '90 wasn't great v West Germany. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for the deflected goal off of Parker, but he was terrible in the shoot out. From what I've seen of 70's Shilton, he was a great keeper. But went on 5 years too long for England imo. Contraversial opinion, but I think Pickford's a better 'keeper - certainly better than the 80's onwards Shilton. |  | |  |
| England on 10:48 - Oct 8 with 791 views | TheChef |
| England on 10:44 - Oct 8 by W7Ranger | Shilton? Not for me. But I am of an age where I only ever remember/saw the 80's onwards Shilton. Mainly the 86, 88 and 90's Shilton, who I feel was a the weak link in those tournaments, particularly in 86 and 90. Beaten in the air by a midget, who's arm wasn't even extended to score the Hand of God goal. And in '90 wasn't great v West Germany. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for the deflected goal off of Parker, but he was terrible in the shoot out. From what I've seen of 70's Shilton, he was a great keeper. But went on 5 years too long for England imo. Contraversial opinion, but I think Pickford's a better 'keeper - certainly better than the 80's onwards Shilton. |
Ah come on be fair - in the West Germany shootout he dived the right way every time! Just ten seconds too late |  |
|  |
| England on 10:51 - Oct 8 with 773 views | W7Ranger |
| England on 10:48 - Oct 8 by TheChef | Ah come on be fair - in the West Germany shootout he dived the right way every time! Just ten seconds too late |
I can do that ffs!! |  | |  |
| England on 11:23 - Oct 8 with 728 views | Monkey_Roots |
| England on 20:10 - Oct 7 by digswellhoop | I ment never had nations leaves with poor teamsin |
I actually much prefer the Nations League to what came before. With the Nations League you actually play teams that are much better quality compared to the meaningless games against Andorra and San Marino. Don’t get me wrong, I really hate the international breaks, as I just want my weekends filled with QPR, fantasy football and Super 6 considerations, but this format I think is much much better. I also think Kane is the best England striker in my lifetime, and probably our best chance of winning something with England. I really hope he gets the Ballon D’or, but he’s English, and therefore likely to get overlooked for Rodri or Yamal, because Spain are the w@nk material for world football. [Post edited 8 Oct 11:25]
|  | |  |
| England on 11:35 - Oct 8 with 681 views | TheChef |
| England on 11:23 - Oct 8 by Monkey_Roots | I actually much prefer the Nations League to what came before. With the Nations League you actually play teams that are much better quality compared to the meaningless games against Andorra and San Marino. Don’t get me wrong, I really hate the international breaks, as I just want my weekends filled with QPR, fantasy football and Super 6 considerations, but this format I think is much much better. I also think Kane is the best England striker in my lifetime, and probably our best chance of winning something with England. I really hope he gets the Ballon D’or, but he’s English, and therefore likely to get overlooked for Rodri or Yamal, because Spain are the w@nk material for world football. [Post edited 8 Oct 11:25]
|
Well they won the World Cup so inevitably it'll be a Spanish winner for the next Ballon d'Or. |  |
|  |
| England on 11:47 - Oct 8 with 645 views | francisbowles |
| England on 11:35 - Oct 8 by TheChef | Well they won the World Cup so inevitably it'll be a Spanish winner for the next Ballon d'Or. |
Hopefully Rodri. Yamal and Messi will split the Latin vote and Harry will triumph. |  | |  | Login to get fewer ads
| England on 12:40 - Oct 8 with 593 views | TheChef |
| England on 11:47 - Oct 8 by francisbowles | Hopefully Rodri. Yamal and Messi will split the Latin vote and Harry will triumph. |
I mean personally I'd give it to the centre back Cubarsi, he was fkin immense and only 19 years old. |  |
|  |
| England on 13:03 - Oct 8 with 565 views | Monkey_Roots |
| England on 11:35 - Oct 8 by TheChef | Well they won the World Cup so inevitably it'll be a Spanish winner for the next Ballon d'Or. |
Portugal never won the World Cup, yet Ronaldo won it loads. Cubarsi was excellent, but Ballon D’or worthy? |  | |  |
| England on 15:31 - Oct 8 with 472 views | daveB |
| England on 12:40 - Oct 8 by TheChef | I mean personally I'd give it to the centre back Cubarsi, he was fkin immense and only 19 years old. |
Olise for me, he is incredible but didn't have a great World Cup so that might cost him. Would love to see Kane win it |  | |  |
| England on 15:39 - Oct 8 with 460 views | Match82 | Willing to sign up for Harry Kanes stats being inflated by playing more games if you're willing to sign up for "proper players" like Dixie Dean having inflated stats because they played in a system with 5 strikers and only 2 defenders. |  | |  |
| England on 16:36 - Oct 8 with 413 views | W4Hoop |
| England on 20:10 - Oct 7 by digswellhoop | I ment never had nations leaves with poor teamsin |
Well that clears it up... |  | |  |
| England on 17:26 - Oct 8 with 371 views | Paddyhoops | Rooney scored lots but was basically a flat track bully . Kane is an outstanding striker and does it at the top level time and time again. If anything, he’s a better all round player than he was 5 years ago . England are lucky to have him . |  | |  |
| England on 22:24 - Oct 8 with 267 views | NorthantsHoop | Harry Kane, what a super footballer he is, deserves all the success that the game offers. The move to Bayern Munich no doubt that it has pushed him up to a higher level. We are probably witnessing for England our greatest centre forward. |  | |  |
| England on 23:34 - Oct 8 with 221 views | daveB |
| England on 17:26 - Oct 8 by Paddyhoops | Rooney scored lots but was basically a flat track bully . Kane is an outstanding striker and does it at the top level time and time again. If anything, he’s a better all round player than he was 5 years ago . England are lucky to have him . |
Rooney was great in 2004 but after that his record in tournaments was awful, didn't score in a World Cup until 2014 and even then went out in group stages. |  | |  |
| England on 23:38 - Oct 8 with 215 views | NewcastleHoop | Every national side in Europe plays in the Nations League. Playing in the Nations League means a higher proportion of England's matches are against fellow Division A sides than in past decades. Yes there are terrible European teams, but they're in Divisions C and D, so England don't play them. Until the mid-80s England played Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland every year. Spain, Croatia and Czechia in the Nations League is an upgrade on that. Yes, when England are drawn in a qualifying group for a major tournament, you can look at the single worst team in the group and think "Mickey Mouse". If it's San Marino, Gibraltar or Liechtenstein, the three remaining part-timers, you'd have a point - I'll give you fully-pro Andorra too. But there were terrible teams in the 70s and 80s, you were just more likely to have heard of them, because the map of Eastern Europe hadn't yet exploded into 30-odd little bits. Luxembourg, Malta and Cyprus were around for ages before they went full-time and got semi-respectable. Iceland, hopeless for decades before they knocked England out of the Euros. Denmark - bleedin' Denmark didn't have a full-time manager until 1979! Turkey were a joke team until the 90s. Who else are we calling Mickey Mouse? Faroe Islands - just ask Claudio Ranieri what happens if you turn up expecting to run eight goals through those Viking whale wrestlers. Kazakhstan have gone from unable to trap the ball, to the Euro 2024 playoffs. Kosovo did for Jon Dahl Tomasson as Sweden manager. So to answer your question Digswellhoop - about the same number. [Post edited 9 Oct 1:55]
|  | |  |
| |