Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Arry. 12:02 - Oct 11 with 9967 viewsShackletonR

What would he bring to us, really. Answers on a post card please.

"Stan work hard, could score goals in the air, and was complete team player. He headed balls off the line, and he had so much skill, balance, finesse and amazing touch. His mobility, that electrifying burst of 30 yards was exciting to watch"...Don Shanks.

Arry. on 11:28 - Oct 12 with 1258 viewsKonk

Arry. on 09:58 - Oct 12 by daveB

he's useless, took a poor Spurs side from bottom to top four with 18 months, took Portsmouth from bottom 4 in the Championship to regular top ten finishes and an fa cup win, hopeless manager, never done anything, the sort of manager we can turn our nose up at as we never spend big to achieve very little.

Seriously he is a top manager, gets the best out of his players, builds very good sides and plays attacking football. If he has a strong chairman like Daniel Levy he is even better as he is not allowed to bankrupt the club. I think he'd be a disaster at Rangers as we'd give him free reign and he would spend like a maniac but lets not just dismiss him as a poor manager when he clearly isn't

The players Redknapp inherited at Tottenham has missed out on CL football on the final day the previous season. Ramos was a disaster, but Redknapp inherited a good group of players. Although the way he tells it, it was like leading Wealdstone to the CL on a budget of £80.

And Jol may have spent more than Redknapp (net), but Redkapp benefited by having most of the Jol signings there when he joined. All the Tottenham I know thought Jol was very, very unlucky to get binned and he's still very popular down the Lane, whereas I don't know any who were especially gutted about Redknapp going.

Also, given the wages they were paying down at Pompey, they didn't really overachieve. Their cup run in 2008: Ipswich, Argyle, PNE, Man United (fair play), WBA and Cardiff.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Arry. on 11:44 - Oct 12 with 1238 viewsSpiritofGregory

Arry. on 11:28 - Oct 12 by Konk

The players Redknapp inherited at Tottenham has missed out on CL football on the final day the previous season. Ramos was a disaster, but Redknapp inherited a good group of players. Although the way he tells it, it was like leading Wealdstone to the CL on a budget of £80.

And Jol may have spent more than Redknapp (net), but Redkapp benefited by having most of the Jol signings there when he joined. All the Tottenham I know thought Jol was very, very unlucky to get binned and he's still very popular down the Lane, whereas I don't know any who were especially gutted about Redknapp going.

Also, given the wages they were paying down at Pompey, they didn't really overachieve. Their cup run in 2008: Ipswich, Argyle, PNE, Man United (fair play), WBA and Cardiff.

All the Spurs fans I know were gutted to see Redknapp leave.

Anyway, lets hope Hughes turns it around and lifts us from the bottom and in January we can finally address our defence. There isn't much wrong with our team, it's just that bloody defence. Our midfield oozes class and Zamora and Cisse are both quality strikers.
Arry. on 12:11 - Oct 12 with 1208 viewsdaveB

Arry. on 11:28 - Oct 12 by Konk

Redknapp came in a season and a half after Jol finished fifth, in that time they lost Carrick, Defoe, Keane, Kabboul and many others, they were 11th the year before he came so he did take over a side that was no better than mid table and turn them into a top 5 team for 3 years in a row. Thats not a bad effort and the wages they were paying at pompey are similar to what we are now, he got to a cup final and mid table, we are bottom and out of the cup before the clocks change.

As I say I'm not suggesting we should get him in but these messages about how poor a manager is are ridiculous.
Arry. on 12:14 - Oct 12 with 1207 viewsJuzzie

What about the legacy he left behind at Portsmouth. Yes, they won the FA Cup and played AC Milan amongst others in Europe but at what cost for the future. They're right royally f****d.

Arry. on 12:21 - Oct 12 with 1201 viewsdaveB

well depends on who you blame for that, for me it's the owner and boards job to run the club, if they can't afford to pay high wages then don't pay them, if they can't afford big transfers then don't spend big money. When the manager comes to the board and says I would like two midfielders and a striker say "we've got 10million to spend so see what you can get" rather than "Sign who you like money is no object"

Redknapp was given stupid money to spend, just as Alan Perrin was as well and he bought some right shit before Redknapp came back and kept them up again.

he also left them with several players with a high sell on value like Defoe, Crouch, Diarra, Yakubu and others.

If we go tits up it's the boards fault not the manager imo.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Arry. on 12:36 - Oct 12 with 1197 viewsClive_Anderson

Didn't Portsmouth make a profit on their transfers overall?

The reason they are screwed is because of a series of very dodgy owners rather than some mad spending spree.
Arry. on 12:38 - Oct 12 with 1195 viewsjeffro

Not advocating change yet......

But...

If I was given the chance to swap Hughes with Redknapp now, I would bet every penny I earn that a Redknapp QPR team will accumilate more points than a Hughes QPR team come May..

Hughes has the next 3 home games Reading , Soton & Everton 7 points , anything else is failure and he needs to go.
Arry. on 12:41 - Oct 12 with 1191 viewsAntti_Heinola

Arry. on 12:21 - Oct 12 by daveB

well depends on who you blame for that, for me it's the owner and boards job to run the club, if they can't afford to pay high wages then don't pay them, if they can't afford big transfers then don't spend big money. When the manager comes to the board and says I would like two midfielders and a striker say "we've got 10million to spend so see what you can get" rather than "Sign who you like money is no object"

Redknapp was given stupid money to spend, just as Alan Perrin was as well and he bought some right shit before Redknapp came back and kept them up again.

he also left them with several players with a high sell on value like Defoe, Crouch, Diarra, Yakubu and others.

it's not the money he spent on transfer *fees* though, is it, dave?

Bare bones.

Login to get fewer ads

Arry. on 12:46 - Oct 12 with 1182 viewsdaveB

what was it spent on then? A club with a crowd of 19,000 spending an average of 70k a week on wages and spending 8-9 million on players was always going to go bust, same as us really.

As I say blame the owners and board for the spending rather than one of the managers they had in that period

Arry. on 12:47 - Oct 12 with 1184 viewsTHEBUSH

Arry. on 12:21 - Oct 12 by daveB

Yeh, but I think you'd find he wouldn't stay long at a club that didn't have money to spend.
Arry. on 12:54 - Oct 12 with 1172 viewsR_from_afar

Arry. on 20:42 - Oct 11 by Match82

Well no, it's international week

Although in all serious I agree. We've made our bed with Hughes, have to ride it out. I haven't lost the faith yet that results will come, just need one win to kick start it.

I agre (and like the rather mind-boggling mixed metaphor).

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Arry. on 13:03 - Oct 12 with 1169 viewsR_from_afar

'Arry would certainly be a real old school manager....

In his own words:

"I have a big problem, I can’t write, so I don’t keep anything. I’m the most disorganised person and I’m ashamed to say in the world, I can’t work a computer, I don’t know what an email is, I can’t, I have never sent a fax and I’ve never sent a text message".

Perahps we could get Ashley Cole to give him lessons in modern electronic communications if he does become our manager.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Arry. on 13:06 - Oct 12 with 1163 viewsSpiritofGregory

Arry. on 12:14 - Oct 12 by Juzzie

What about the legacy he left behind at Portsmouth. Yes, they won the FA Cup and played AC Milan amongst others in Europe but at what cost for the future. They're right royally f****d.

Portsmouth's problems started when they were relegated. They never went into administration whilst they were in the Premier league. It's relegation and losing Sky money that cripples a club. Harry never took them down.

There's a very fine line between getting it right/wrong. You can either go one way or the other. When Matthew Harding pumped his millions into Chelsea there is no doubt that they were spending much more then what was coming in. That club has since gone from strength to strength.

Harry may have spent money at Spurs but at least he got a top 4 finish - twice. They only didn't quality for Champions league this year because Chelsea fluked it, and his head was turned by the England job but who can blame him for that.
Arry. on 13:15 - Oct 12 with 1150 viewsadhoc_qpr

What legacy is Hughes going to leave for us currently? Worst ever prem away record? Making us the classic media example of 'you can't buy success' (even though other bigger clubs do just that...)

If anyone thinks the money for a new training ground, scouting and youth set up will still be there after relegation they are kidding themselves.

Hughes needs to focus on getting results now and worry about infrastructure later.
Arry. on 13:19 - Oct 12 with 1147 viewswestolian

Talk of a new manager ?

Can i just check, it is only the 2nd week in October isn't it ?

I've found a team sheet for the weekend - anyone interested ?

Arry. on 13:22 - Oct 12 with 1143 viewsJuzzie

Arry. on 13:06 - Oct 12 by SpiritofGregory

Portsmouth's problems started when they were relegated. They never went into administration whilst they were in the Premier league. It's relegation and losing Sky money that cripples a club. Harry never took them down.

There's a very fine line between getting it right/wrong. You can either go one way or the other. When Matthew Harding pumped his millions into Chelsea there is no doubt that they were spending much more then what was coming in. That club has since gone from strength to strength.

Harry may have spent money at Spurs but at least he got a top 4 finish - twice. They only didn't quality for Champions league this year because Chelsea fluked it, and his head was turned by the England job but who can blame him for that.

They never went into administration whilst in the PL 'cos the PL did everything they could to ensure they didn't as they didn't want the image of the PL tarnished. Once out of the PL, they didn't give a fook what happend to them.

I agree about the Boards are the ones who pay the transfer fee, pay the wages but they do so in blind faith/panic as they trust the manager has identified the right players to keep them up. Clearly Portsmouth didn't have the right players, and it's the manager who picks the players.

Chelsea may have gone from strength to strength but their debt grows some £25m+ or more each year but they keep going because they are subsidised by the owner. Same with Man City, Fulham and I guess the same with us at the moment.

Arry. on 14:20 - Oct 12 with 1121 viewsheadhoops

phart
magilton
houston
sousa
dowie
frank fuc£ing Sibley

and we are arguing over Hughes and Redknapp.

bring back jimmy Cowan.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Arry. on 15:30 - Oct 12 with 1094 viewsdaveB

Arry. on 12:47 - Oct 12 by THEBUSH

Yeh, but I think you'd find he wouldn't stay long at a club that didn't have money to spend.

nor would Mark Hughes or any manager in the Prem
Arry. on 15:40 - Oct 12 with 1089 viewsKonk

Arry. on 13:06 - Oct 12 by SpiritofGregory

If Abramobvich hadn't turned up the week he did, Chelsea would have been fu cked. They were £100m in debt when that was a lot of money in football terms. I fuc king hate that cu nt.

Arry. on 15:47 - Oct 12 with 1081 viewsMr_Seabass

I know this is a hyperthetical thread, but how can anyone dispute that Redknapp would not be a good thing for us if it materialised?

His track record has clearly been illustrated on other threads - who cares what he's done at other clubs - move on...

We all hated the prospect of taking on Warnock - 'northern tw*t' etc... look at his track record?

I'm sorry, but Hughes has had more than enough time - spent far too much money (not his fault granted) but signing too many players is! Warnock turned us around within a few months, so at what point do we see Hughes do the same?

Lets just face it - Hughes isn't right for us - we tried it - it didn't work - move on...
Arry. on 15:50 - Oct 12 with 1077 viewsClive_Anderson

Arry. on 15:40 - Oct 12 by Konk

If Abramobvich hadn't turned up the week he did, Chelsea would have been fu cked. They were £100m in debt when that was a lot of money in football terms. I fuc king hate that cu nt.

Aaaaggh don't remind me, I had sleepness nights for a week when he appeared just as they were about to get their comeuppance.

Apparently Spurs turned him down as well.
Arry. on 15:57 - Oct 12 with 1074 viewsKonk

Arry. on 15:50 - Oct 12 by Clive_Anderson

Aaaaggh don't remind me, I had sleepness nights for a week when he appeared just as they were about to get their comeuppance.

Apparently Spurs turned him down as well.

I even penned a BRILLIANT song about it after they lost to Hapoel Tel Aviv and had us singing it on the train to an away game. Gutted beyond words. Who would have guessed at that time that a Jewish bloke would roll up and rescue those horrible cun ts?

Arry. on 16:17 - Oct 12 with 1054 viewsShackletonR

It sounds like MH has still got the dressing room on his side, from what Clint Hill has been saying. Once that starts to go side ways then he is in trouble, chairman are close to one or two players, so TF will know that the players are buying in to Hughes way of thinking at the moment but not playing to it. Also understanding that injuries are hampering a settled side, plus not having the luck you sometimes need.

The general feeling is MH is still the right man for the job, the international break has come at the right time for him to get players back, have a think about what his best team is, then stick to it, (barring injuries) and hope we can put a full 90 minutes in like we have done in certain stages in games, where we have played good football, then get that first win. If this doesn't happen and we lose the next game, then the next, player confidence will be gone, so will the dressing room, so will TF patience, then MH will be too.

Harry Redknapp is available with no compensation needed, so is the ideal person to come in and give the place the new manager lift, a bit like Warnock of the championship, not for the long term but for the short term, with the idea of being established in the premier league. I hope that MH turns it around as we have had to much fair ground waltzer rides since the money came in. (previously too) then we can have stability, but one things for sure is old 'ARRY' is never far away until that happens.

"Stan work hard, could score goals in the air, and was complete team player. He headed balls off the line, and he had so much skill, balance, finesse and amazing touch. His mobility, that electrifying burst of 30 yards was exciting to watch"...Don Shanks.

Arry. on 19:12 - Oct 12 with 1021 viewsDylanP

Arry. on 10:08 - Oct 12 by adhoc_qpr

I agree it's too early to panic and to give Hughes more time is the correct, sensible decision - but i think you are downplaying what a poor job Hughes is doing...

He's had carte blanche, spent a ton of cash on our most expensive ever team and delivered our worst away start to a season.

His away record is beyond awful and the worst thing is we don't look any better now than we did at the end of last season.

Let's give Hughes time but if in 5-6 weeks time we have not shown dramatic improvement and picked up at least 1 home and 1 away win - i would absolutely support the board if they decided Hughes was an expensive mistake and they wanted to make a change.

I'm not downplaying anything.

I am saying that it would be a disaster to switch managers this season and any decision should be taken only if the consequence of inaction is worse than a disaster.

Right now, we all have to keep our heads and be patient. (Obviously, I find that much easier to say on a weekday than I do on a Saturday afternoon when we are losing to WBA/WestHam/etc....)

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Arry. on 20:40 - Oct 12 with 1002 viewssilky

Some good points made and all, but has anyone thought of the fact that Arry wouldn't even consider Managing QPR as his profile is to high?

Just saying......

Poll: Do you think this current QPR team has got what is takes to go up this year?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024