Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Losing faith, or still behind him 22:05 - Jan 5 with 7826 viewsolympicdale

Serious question. How are the majority here feeling about Coleman, are you behind him, or are you starting to/lost faith in him, after all the threads on here, be interesting to hear peoples real thoughts about our gaffer.

Myself personally, I'm finding myself losing faith, im gettin tired of his stubbornness, and his apparent unwillingness to change, when its clearly evident something isnt working.

Life is a game of fate.

Losing faith, or still behind him on 12:01 - Jan 6 with 1444 viewsTTNYear

I'll keep going because of a season ticket, in the mean time I look forward to the rest of the games going sommat like this

Turn up around 3-04pm, merry from the 'Shall we have one more before the shyte' pints in the Cem. Watch moribund, dull lifeless, football, for 40 minutes. Go in the Dale Bar at half time to help with the pain (the only highlight of the half tbf) Come out 5/10/15 minutes (this will increase as the season progresses) into the second half to be greeted by more turgid bile. Watch the opposition realise that we aint got a clue how to break them down. Then see a scrappy winner for either side interspersed with comedy cameos by Gorgeous and others. Can't fooking wait.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Anti-cliquism is the last refuge of the messageboard scoundrel - Copyright Dorset Dale productions

Losing faith, or still behind him on 12:06 - Jan 6 with 1433 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Losing faith, or still behind him on 11:55 - Jan 6 by SkiptonDale

I disagree about the EXPECTATION to play sexy football, I just think any kind of positive display (not necessarily result) would be nice. Yesterday was a shambles, had we battled hard and had plentiful of chances we could have a bit of pride in the fact we lost but went for it with everything we had! To be fair, the red card made that harder, but on the whole recent results and performances haven't been good enough (until the 2nd half when we have a 3 goal deficit). The Bradford and Cheltenham games just seem to have papered over cracks.

To conclude, I've lost faith.

This Red card business really winds up the fans......we have an appalling disciplinary record.

With a very small squad we cannot afford players facing bans week in week out.

Coleman tactics don't endear him to the fans......get rid.
Losing faith, or still behind him on 12:24 - Jan 6 with 1405 viewsLee_Bullet

Losing faith, or still behind him on 10:19 - Jan 6 by Ralphs12

Really important transfer window all things considered.

What worries me about the current team/squad ok, craney is on peanuts, bbm I'm thinking will be looking to go into coaching. The lack of game time the two are getting you're asking alot of tutte jk and cav. As was the case under eyre with Jonah playing constantly. If we could get in as has been mentioned elsewhere either a winger or two, allowing for a change in formation this leading on to a centre mid getting a rest. Or A N other centre mid on loan, for me it would only have to be a young championship/prem player just to allow abit more rotation of the central trio.

Spot on! The way we play we rely a lot on our midfield 3 getting hold of the game and forcing the play up the pitch. Equally when we lose the ball they have a lot of ground to fill to cover the wide positions.

We seemed to keep Grimes central yesterday to link up with Gornell who was in for a tough game and struggled. So that left Grant our only option on the right (who we rely on too much when struggling in a game IMHO), and a left hand-side consisting of a left back who put a great shift in.

Yesterday Tutte and Cav had off days which you'd expect now and again with the amount of work they have put in during recent games and the fact they never get a rest. This meant we very rarely managed to work the ball past the half way line, and the usual link-up and movement with Grimes was missing.

Coleman could have put Adebola on for Gornell a lot earlier, but our lack of quality midfield options off the bench is a worry, even more so when Coleman seems to want to stick to the same system.

If he's going to turn things round A lot will depend on who he can move on in the transfer window, our bench is full of players who offer nil or little impact and this needs to change, my worry is these aren't really the players others clubs are going to want.

That will lead to us selling 1 or two of our best players, and if we sell Tutte and Grimes for say 100k combined that would be a mistake of ginormous proportions!

I want Coleman to do well but I feel he has a miracle to work this January, he's made some mistakes with the players he's brought in so far and this is probably his last chance to get things right. You have to give the guy a chance though.
Losing faith, or still behind him on 12:41 - Jan 6 with 1378 viewsChaffRAFC

I'm still behind him as I've said and I'll explain why. At the beginning of the season I had the expectation that this season was always going to be one to build on wherever we finished. A mid-table position is fine with me and possibly even more than I expected. A squad has been set up with people he knows will work for him and they're on short term deals, the squad isn't being built around them. Some of them aren't brilliant but they'll run through brick walls for Coleman.

Our league position is fine, yes, our home form is poor but we've put in some very decent performances throughout the season, mainly away from home granted but does anyone seriously think we'll go down? No chance I don't think. Let Coleman finish off the job he's doing.

I do think a lot of our supporters have a spoilt attitude and expect more than a club of our size is expected to achieve. I think Hill proved it could be done but I also think he had much more of a budget and the expectation was very low when Hill took charge. People need to realise that Keith Hill is gone, he's history that we can look back on fondly but I don't agree that he set the standard we should achieve, he exceeded it. All these shouts of get Keith Hill back are a sign that people haven't moved on. It's like being in love with a bird, who you're batting above your average with, being madly in love to the point of wanting to marry her, then she f##ks off and starts banging some other guy who's 6"3 and built like a brick sh1thouse and hung like a rounders bat. Every bird that you get involved with after that doesn't live up to her but there comes a point where you've got to move on. I think the decline in attendances is partly down to this, partly down to money and partly down to Coleman but there's no way that 600 people have stopped going purely because of this season.

If the fans can cut him some slack, Coleman will eventually get it right I reckon. This season was always one to build on, if he fails next season to build a squad that challenges for the playoffs then fair enough, I'll hold my hand up.

I've been watching Dale for 20 plus years and no, I've not seen as much as many have but is this up there with Barrow, Simpson, Eyre, Buckley etc? Nowhere near for me. Some people who were hurling abuse yesterday were backing Barrow just before he was sacked! I don't get that but there you go!

John Coleman's Barmy Army

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Losing faith, or still behind him on 12:56 - Jan 6 with 1349 viewsseasidedale

Losing faith mainly for our lack of disipline, the lack of plan B and the negativity. I know in the past we have had poorer managers and teams but its never felt loke this. I understand the financial aspects but I think we are in a spiral, no money to make changes, so less is coming in which means even less to make changes with so something is going to break
Losing faith, or still behind him on 13:10 - Jan 6 with 1336 viewsYouTubeDale

Losing faith, or still behind him on 11:41 - Jan 6 by klmblue

Give the man a chance
look at the likes of forrest ,blackburn , wolves and if coleman got the bullet how much compensation would we have to pay which we probably dont have
How long was he in charge at accy .? And look wat happened at old trafford 20+ years ago when mark robbins scored a equaliser at the city ground
The rest is history

Bang on! Rochdale can't be a hiring and firing club.

I too feel we are just one chip short of a full butty, so to speak. We are nearly there and as some have stated this January is critical to get right with the miniscule financial resources at our disposal.What a juggling act ! Finding another Antwi (assuming he plays like that every week!) is not impossible for Coleman's amount of years in the game. He's on the phone till 9pm every night trying to sort it out. Just finding that one chip could mean all the difference and we find ourselves moving in the right direction again. Yes, we are at a pivotal moment. Are we moving up or down the League or staying put?

There is too much of Coleman in the team at the moment to change it. Bringing in a new manager at this time, whoever he might be, would be risky in the extreme. If we find ourselves in the Conference, little Rochdale would find it a mammoth task to resurface.

I stand behind Coleman and his record with meagre resources and say there is enough about him to be safe at the end of the season. He has put together a team which scores goals but needs to stop goals against in order to get that feel-good factor back again.

If fans are still voting with their feet by staying away then get rid if you have to when we are mathematically safe.

For me it's a no-brainer...keep Coleman.

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

Losing faith, or still behind him on 13:21 - Jan 6 with 1307 viewsSandyman

Sorry Chaff mate, but settling for "little old Rochdale" and average division 4 fayre won't wash any more with a lot of fans. And why should it? We've been there and done that for long enough. Apart from a few glimmers of hope, there has been precious little from Coleman's side to hang your hat on so to speak. That comparisons *are* being made with Barrow and Simpson (neither of whom got us relegated btw) by supporters should set alarm bells ringing, as should the decline in support similar to what those two caused.

Was talking to some occasional Dale fans in my local after yesterday's debacle. They went to watch Sacred Heart instead. Under £3 for a pie and a pint, free admission and a 6-0 win. Compared with me watching two pub teams yesterday, £2.90 a pint, £2 a pie and £250+ for a season ticket, Hearts are a tempting option!!

This club has to get its backside in gear again and strive to achieve something. Others are on limited resources. Coleman hasn't given home fans much to cheer about, and is driving too many away. You don't need me to tell you the impact that will have on a club like ours, especially as our saleable assets c/o Coleman are £0.

If the board are happy with that, so be it. Coleman stays. A lot of fans won't.
Losing faith, or still behind him on 13:22 - Jan 6 with 1302 viewsSalwaDale

Losing faith, or still behind him on 12:41 - Jan 6 by ChaffRAFC

I'm still behind him as I've said and I'll explain why. At the beginning of the season I had the expectation that this season was always going to be one to build on wherever we finished. A mid-table position is fine with me and possibly even more than I expected. A squad has been set up with people he knows will work for him and they're on short term deals, the squad isn't being built around them. Some of them aren't brilliant but they'll run through brick walls for Coleman.

Our league position is fine, yes, our home form is poor but we've put in some very decent performances throughout the season, mainly away from home granted but does anyone seriously think we'll go down? No chance I don't think. Let Coleman finish off the job he's doing.

I do think a lot of our supporters have a spoilt attitude and expect more than a club of our size is expected to achieve. I think Hill proved it could be done but I also think he had much more of a budget and the expectation was very low when Hill took charge. People need to realise that Keith Hill is gone, he's history that we can look back on fondly but I don't agree that he set the standard we should achieve, he exceeded it. All these shouts of get Keith Hill back are a sign that people haven't moved on. It's like being in love with a bird, who you're batting above your average with, being madly in love to the point of wanting to marry her, then she f##ks off and starts banging some other guy who's 6"3 and built like a brick sh1thouse and hung like a rounders bat. Every bird that you get involved with after that doesn't live up to her but there comes a point where you've got to move on. I think the decline in attendances is partly down to this, partly down to money and partly down to Coleman but there's no way that 600 people have stopped going purely because of this season.

If the fans can cut him some slack, Coleman will eventually get it right I reckon. This season was always one to build on, if he fails next season to build a squad that challenges for the playoffs then fair enough, I'll hold my hand up.

I've been watching Dale for 20 plus years and no, I've not seen as much as many have but is this up there with Barrow, Simpson, Eyre, Buckley etc? Nowhere near for me. Some people who were hurling abuse yesterday were backing Barrow just before he was sacked! I don't get that but there you go!

Pretty much agree with all of this.

I haven't moved on from the Hillcroft years and if there was any chance of either of them coming back then I would be delighted and I would take a chance, pretty much regardless of the consequences. The reality(I guess) is that there is no chance of either returning and I think we'd risk a lot more by getting rid of Coleman.

TBBT

Login to get fewer ads

Losing faith, or still behind him on 13:44 - Jan 6 with 1274 viewsmaybee

Some fine sentiments there Chaff.

However.

Based on the home games I've witnessed this season, I feel that we are in a worse state as a club that we were 12 months ago, and it was pretty dire then!!!

Our tactics are all wrong. I don't care what JC & JB tell us, when you have one of the widest pitches in the league, you need to play with a winger at home.

I do not like the insistance that our keeper rolls the ball out short all the time. It's fine on occasions, but yesterday (and at several other recent games) it puts our defenders under unnecessary pressure when everyone knows what's coming, and the away team pushes up. I'm sick of the full backs getting to half way and then passing backwards!!! Even a complete novice can see that if you insist on playing as we do under JC, your fullbacks need to push and provide service to the forwards from wide positions. I guess it boils down to them simply not being good enough...especially Mcintyre, who has regressed rapidly after a good start.

I hate to see our midfield playing too deep; especially if we are chasing the game.But I think that they feel compelled to cover the central defence which needs a leader.

I have lost patience with JC's mindless substitutions. If he thinks that bringing Donnelly on yesterday was correct, then he should resign on the spot. The game was absolutely crying out for Adebola to combat their huge defenders, and for Putterill to run at them down the flanks. Coleman told us in Summer that George Donnelly was "a really exciting player that the fans would love" Sorry John...but you are completely wrong. I feel sorry for him, because he is rapidly becoming a laughing stock.

I am also worried that we have a very good keeper in Ben Smith who never gets a game, even if to give Lillis a rest. When he came into the players lounge yesterday for his MOM award, Lillis looked close to tears!!!

I am also appalled at our sheer amateurish discipline. The number of stupid needless fouls and the bickering at officials is a horrible reflection of our Management team. It's already costing us in terms of suspensions, and it is not what I want to see from my team. Yesterday, Rafferty (has he got anything between hie ears?) was lucky not to be red carded in the first half...on Tuesday, Grant should have walked etc etc etc.

I worry that the whole team will need rebuilding yet again if we can survive to Summer, because most of the defensive signings are simply not good enough. I further worry that JC does not rate Jason Kennedy, and seems intent on winding up Tutte and Grimes to the point where they will seek a move away. If this happens, Lord help us.

I reckon that yesterday will have knocked off another 150 pay on the day supporters from the gate against Gills in 2 weeks. We simply cannot afford for this to continue.

I was told yesterday that 6 Goldbond agents had packed their rounds in just before Xmas...most in direct protest at the performances. Again, this deprives us of vital income...moreso when things are bad on the pitch.

Have we been worse? Almost certainly yes. Our relegation season in the 70's was considerably worse, and a couple of other seasons shortly after were horrible to endure. The difference back then was that we were surviving by the skin of our teeth financially, and had hardly ever (until Dave Cross & Alan Taylor) made any money from signings.

It was also pretty grim (rubbish infact) under Barrow. Although time numbs the memories, it feels as bad as Barrowball watching our utterly baffling home form this season. At least under Barrow, we knew how to grind out boring 1-0 wins at home, but were hopeless away. I remember wondering just what Joe Hinneghan did under Barrow....and I still wonder what on Earth he does today. Andy Thorpe is perfectly capable of doing the job on his own.

I really am struggling to take any positives from our recent form. I suppose that Grimes finding his scoring touch is good, and if played correctly, we have as potent a forward line as most. Bennett shows promise and looks like he has potential, but still makes mistakes.

Oh yes... Wimbledons support yesterday was superb. I don't think it's been mentioned, but they were very vocal, and had fantastic numbers given their league position and the distance they travelled. Well done to them.
Losing faith, or still behind him on 13:53 - Jan 6 with 1252 viewsDalenet

Losing faith, or still behind him on 13:44 - Jan 6 by maybee

However.

Based on the home games I've witnessed this season, I feel that we are in a worse state as a club that we were 12 months ago, and it was pretty dire then!!!

Our tactics are all wrong. I don't care what JC & JB tell us, when you have one of the widest pitches in the league, you need to play with a winger at home.

I do not like the insistance that our keeper rolls the ball out short all the time. It's fine on occasions, but yesterday (and at several other recent games) it puts our defenders under unnecessary pressure when everyone knows what's coming, and the away team pushes up. I'm sick of the full backs getting to half way and then passing backwards!!! Even a complete novice can see that if you insist on playing as we do under JC, your fullbacks need to push and provide service to the forwards from wide positions. I guess it boils down to them simply not being good enough...especially Mcintyre, who has regressed rapidly after a good start.

I hate to see our midfield playing too deep; especially if we are chasing the game.But I think that they feel compelled to cover the central defence which needs a leader.

I have lost patience with JC's mindless substitutions. If he thinks that bringing Donnelly on yesterday was correct, then he should resign on the spot. The game was absolutely crying out for Adebola to combat their huge defenders, and for Putterill to run at them down the flanks. Coleman told us in Summer that George Donnelly was "a really exciting player that the fans would love" Sorry John...but you are completely wrong. I feel sorry for him, because he is rapidly becoming a laughing stock.

I am also worried that we have a very good keeper in Ben Smith who never gets a game, even if to give Lillis a rest. When he came into the players lounge yesterday for his MOM award, Lillis looked close to tears!!!

I am also appalled at our sheer amateurish discipline. The number of stupid needless fouls and the bickering at officials is a horrible reflection of our Management team. It's already costing us in terms of suspensions, and it is not what I want to see from my team. Yesterday, Rafferty (has he got anything between hie ears?) was lucky not to be red carded in the first half...on Tuesday, Grant should have walked etc etc etc.

I worry that the whole team will need rebuilding yet again if we can survive to Summer, because most of the defensive signings are simply not good enough. I further worry that JC does not rate Jason Kennedy, and seems intent on winding up Tutte and Grimes to the point where they will seek a move away. If this happens, Lord help us.

I reckon that yesterday will have knocked off another 150 pay on the day supporters from the gate against Gills in 2 weeks. We simply cannot afford for this to continue.

I was told yesterday that 6 Goldbond agents had packed their rounds in just before Xmas...most in direct protest at the performances. Again, this deprives us of vital income...moreso when things are bad on the pitch.

Have we been worse? Almost certainly yes. Our relegation season in the 70's was considerably worse, and a couple of other seasons shortly after were horrible to endure. The difference back then was that we were surviving by the skin of our teeth financially, and had hardly ever (until Dave Cross & Alan Taylor) made any money from signings.

It was also pretty grim (rubbish infact) under Barrow. Although time numbs the memories, it feels as bad as Barrowball watching our utterly baffling home form this season. At least under Barrow, we knew how to grind out boring 1-0 wins at home, but were hopeless away. I remember wondering just what Joe Hinneghan did under Barrow....and I still wonder what on Earth he does today. Andy Thorpe is perfectly capable of doing the job on his own.

I really am struggling to take any positives from our recent form. I suppose that Grimes finding his scoring touch is good, and if played correctly, we have as potent a forward line as most. Bennett shows promise and looks like he has potential, but still makes mistakes.

Oh yes... Wimbledons support yesterday was superb. I don't think it's been mentioned, but they were very vocal, and had fantastic numbers given their league position and the distance they travelled. Well done to them.

I agree with every single word you say maybee. It sums it up perfectly.

Add to that the loss of support and the clubs complete lack of pofessionalism when it comes to engaging with its paying public and we have a club that is on its way to ruin. People think we will simply change things around through the January transfer window. I suspect not. We can't afford to make any changes and I suspect our finances aren't much different to the perilous state both Owdum and Bury find themselves.

Losing faith, or still behind him on 13:59 - Jan 6 with 1241 viewsSaxonDale

The problem is that many of the mistakes Coleman making are incredibly easy to spot and should have been corrected by now. How long should it take for a manager to shore up the defence(which he signed?) or to develop a Plan B

As for League position its about being proactive instead of reactive. There's very little evidence to suggest that Coleman can or will develop the Plan B,C,D that's needed. Let alone adjust the clubs discipline issues or correct the defence. Thus we'll drop further down the league and our budget for next year will become even less. He's had almost 12 months in the job now, many of his mistakes should've been dealt with after 6.

When we got rid of Holt and Lambert were people saying we should be happy with Christie?
Losing faith, or still behind him on 14:19 - Jan 6 with 1218 viewsTimmyC

Lost faith in these clowns a good month ago, just dont think they are the right people for the club and the fans are voting with their feet just look at attendances...
Losing faith, or still behind him on 14:33 - Jan 6 with 1197 viewsTalkingSutty

Losing faith, or still behind him on 13:59 - Jan 6 by SaxonDale

The problem is that many of the mistakes Coleman making are incredibly easy to spot and should have been corrected by now. How long should it take for a manager to shore up the defence(which he signed?) or to develop a Plan B

As for League position its about being proactive instead of reactive. There's very little evidence to suggest that Coleman can or will develop the Plan B,C,D that's needed. Let alone adjust the clubs discipline issues or correct the defence. Thus we'll drop further down the league and our budget for next year will become even less. He's had almost 12 months in the job now, many of his mistakes should've been dealt with after 6.

When we got rid of Holt and Lambert were people saying we should be happy with Christie?

It will be interesting to see which type of player would want to come to Spotland to join the Accy/Scouse clique.

Lets face it, unless you are one of them it would be very hard to become accustomed to their habits (disciplinary etc).

Every game we have a bit of a laugh about wether it will be a penalty we concede or a sending off, but according to JC when pressed about the discipline record. "We are no worse than anybody else ".

If you was a player hoping to better yourself would you join this motley crew ?
Losing faith, or still behind him on 14:34 - Jan 6 with 1189 viewsSalwaDale

Losing faith, or still behind him on 14:33 - Jan 6 by TalkingSutty

It will be interesting to see which type of player would want to come to Spotland to join the Accy/Scouse clique.

Lets face it, unless you are one of them it would be very hard to become accustomed to their habits (disciplinary etc).

Every game we have a bit of a laugh about wether it will be a penalty we concede or a sending off, but according to JC when pressed about the discipline record. "We are no worse than anybody else ".

Bet Tommy Lee would.

TBBT

Losing faith, or still behind him on 14:39 - Jan 6 with 1176 viewsRAFCBLUE

Losing faith, or still behind him on 14:33 - Jan 6 by TalkingSutty

Again statistical fact would disagree with JC. We're the join 4th bottom of the fair play league at present.

Only Fleetwood, Wycombe and Plymouth are below us:
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/stats/fairplay/_/league/eng.4/english-league-two?cc

We also have three of the top 38 "dirtiest" players (Rafferty, Grant and McIntyre) :
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/stats/fairplay/_/league/eng.4/english-league-two?cc

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Losing faith, or still behind him on 14:41 - Jan 6 with 1145 viewsSteTsGoldenBoot

However.

Great post.

Three of the bottom four having two games in hand on us, plus if 'new manager syndrome' kicks in for Plymouth and Bristol R, we could yet be in trouble!

Current form for the rest of the season would see us with 48 points!

The thought of our team without JK, Tutte and Grimes fills me with dread.

The next 4 weeks will be key to the future of our club.

I think we need to keep JC for these 4 weeks and for him to be given the full season (more because we cant go through the shambles of last January with Beech in charge), but come the summer and season ticket renewal time, big decisions on the direction the club is going needs to be made.

Everything thats been, has past. The answers in the looking glass!

Losing faith, or still behind him on 14:51 - Jan 6 with 1133 viewsTalkingSutty

Losing faith, or still behind him on 14:41 - Jan 6 by SteTsGoldenBoot

Great post.

Three of the bottom four having two games in hand on us, plus if 'new manager syndrome' kicks in for Plymouth and Bristol R, we could yet be in trouble!

Current form for the rest of the season would see us with 48 points!

The thought of our team without JK, Tutte and Grimes fills me with dread.

The next 4 weeks will be key to the future of our club.

I think we need to keep JC for these 4 weeks and for him to be given the full season (more because we cant go through the shambles of last January with Beech in charge), but come the summer and season ticket renewal time, big decisions on the direction the club is going needs to be made.

Agree with that, we have to stay with JC until the end of the season now. Its obvious we need a complete new defence and a new goalkeeper because Lillis makes too many mistakes.

I am hoping he will bring in at least two experienced defenders and we can shore up the defence a bit, in fact i am surprised we didnt have new faces prior to yesterdays game other local clubs seem to be signing players.

Apart from his Accy/ scouse connections i dont have much faith in the managers ability to attract "outsiders" to the club and that limits the choices.

Thats probably just me being very sceptical though !!
Losing faith, or still behind him on 14:55 - Jan 6 with 1124 viewsSteTsGoldenBoot

Losing faith, or still behind him on 14:51 - Jan 6 by TalkingSutty

Agree with that, we have to stay with JC until the end of the season now. Its obvious we need a complete new defence and a new goalkeeper because Lillis makes too many mistakes.

I am hoping he will bring in at least two experienced defenders and we can shore up the defence a bit, in fact i am surprised we didnt have new faces prior to yesterdays game other local clubs seem to be signing players.

Apart from his Accy/ scouse connections i dont have much faith in the managers ability to attract "outsiders" to the club and that limits the choices.

Thats probably just me being very sceptical though !!

Just posted on another thread that the (Liver)'pool' of ex players is now limited to Gornell, Proctor and Winnard.

A big big month for us.

Everything thats been, has past. The answers in the looking glass!

Losing faith, or still behind him on 14:56 - Jan 6 with 1123 viewsR17ALE

However.

If pushed I'd say I want him to turn it round as we simply cannot afford to chop and change managers. But do I have faith in him to do so?

Not sure really.

I've just checked the stats in the programme and every game we have won at home has seen Dele start although we haven't won every game in which he has started.

Nonetheless, after 20 minutes yesterday we were all saying this would be an ideal game for Dele to play in as we lacked a presence up front. by the 85th minute JC agreed, and threw him on an hour too late.

Against Rotherham it was clear in the second half he needed to come on to hold the ball up to give our defence some respite, but Dele was still warming the bench when their inevitable winner arrived. That's a potential 6 points tossed away.

If jokers like me can see the blindingly obvious, then I just don't understand why JC cannot, hence my concern.

The wingers point is valid, but he doesn't do wingers nor have we any to throw on in any case. In our promotion season, I think we had 5 wingers in the squad all vying for a spot and we swept all before us at home, stretching defences well outside their comfort zones. Plus Cog played out wide too at times drifting in.

I recall years ago in one of the first ever fans forums, Danny Bergara trying to explain how he was training the team in as simple a way as possible. It is interesting to recall his philosophy today!

He said, and this is paraphrasing as it was a very long time ago, and his English was shyte....

I tell them to imagine the pitch divided up into thirds. In the top third we will play our football. In the middle third we will scrap like mad to boss the game. In our third we will clear our lines as quickly as possible so we can play our football at the other end of the pitch. My defenders know that the ball can go past. So can the man. But never both!

Looking at us today, we try and play our football in our third, scrap a bit in the middle, and do cack all in the top third resulting in us drawing a blank in 33% of homes games thus far (Dele less games usually).

I know the above is simplistic 1980's stuff, but it is more of a Plan B than I've seen this season!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Losing faith, or still behind him on 15:03 - Jan 6 with 1100 viewsTalkingSutty

Losing faith, or still behind him on 14:56 - Jan 6 by R17ALE

If pushed I'd say I want him to turn it round as we simply cannot afford to chop and change managers. But do I have faith in him to do so?

Not sure really.

I've just checked the stats in the programme and every game we have won at home has seen Dele start although we haven't won every game in which he has started.

Nonetheless, after 20 minutes yesterday we were all saying this would be an ideal game for Dele to play in as we lacked a presence up front. by the 85th minute JC agreed, and threw him on an hour too late.

Against Rotherham it was clear in the second half he needed to come on to hold the ball up to give our defence some respite, but Dele was still warming the bench when their inevitable winner arrived. That's a potential 6 points tossed away.

If jokers like me can see the blindingly obvious, then I just don't understand why JC cannot, hence my concern.

The wingers point is valid, but he doesn't do wingers nor have we any to throw on in any case. In our promotion season, I think we had 5 wingers in the squad all vying for a spot and we swept all before us at home, stretching defences well outside their comfort zones. Plus Cog played out wide too at times drifting in.

I recall years ago in one of the first ever fans forums, Danny Bergara trying to explain how he was training the team in as simple a way as possible. It is interesting to recall his philosophy today!

He said, and this is paraphrasing as it was a very long time ago, and his English was shyte....

I tell them to imagine the pitch divided up into thirds. In the top third we will play our football. In the middle third we will scrap like mad to boss the game. In our third we will clear our lines as quickly as possible so we can play our football at the other end of the pitch. My defenders know that the ball can go past. So can the man. But never both!

Looking at us today, we try and play our football in our third, scrap a bit in the middle, and do cack all in the top third resulting in us drawing a blank in 33% of homes games thus far (Dele less games usually).

I know the above is simplistic 1980's stuff, but it is more of a Plan B than I've seen this season!

Do you fancy the mangers job, there could be a vacancy soon ?
Losing faith, or still behind him on 16:55 - Jan 6 with 1056 viewsChaffRAFC

Coleman's stubborn attitude in "my system works" is a big downside and yes, I get frustrated too when there seems to be a lack of a plan B but it's far from being a simple case of playing wingers. All game I heard shouts of "get some wingers on!" I don't think it's that cut and dry, or even anywhere near. Coleman's lack of wingers has seen him achieve big success at Accrington Stanley over the years, just because we aren't having the same success at the moment doesn't make him tactically inept and just because we got promoted playing wingers doesn't necessarily mean we have to play them now. When we got promoted we had players like Chris O'Grady, Craig Dawson, Gary Jones, Will Buckley, Chris Dagnall, Tom Kennedy, Scott Wiseman etc, all now playing at a higher level with the exception of Jones.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Losing faith, or still behind him on 17:20 - Jan 6 with 1033 viewsfitzochris

Losing faith, or still behind him on 16:55 - Jan 6 by ChaffRAFC

Coleman's stubborn attitude in "my system works" is a big downside and yes, I get frustrated too when there seems to be a lack of a plan B but it's far from being a simple case of playing wingers. All game I heard shouts of "get some wingers on!" I don't think it's that cut and dry, or even anywhere near. Coleman's lack of wingers has seen him achieve big success at Accrington Stanley over the years, just because we aren't having the same success at the moment doesn't make him tactically inept and just because we got promoted playing wingers doesn't necessarily mean we have to play them now. When we got promoted we had players like Chris O'Grady, Craig Dawson, Gary Jones, Will Buckley, Chris Dagnall, Tom Kennedy, Scott Wiseman etc, all now playing at a higher level with the exception of Jones.

The need for width and playing wingers are not always the same thing. Yesterday, we needed width and I think it was 442Dale who provided at least one example of how that might have been provided with the players on the field. I had my own ideas at the game and others did to. JC couldn't or wouldn't see it.

But I think also Col has a point when he says that, of the current personnel, only Grant is capable of providing that width in a non-winger capacity.

So, I guess I'm saying, we don't necessarily need wingers more than players capable of playing in wide positions further up the park.

Add to that our defence lacks numbers, especially when they get sent off, and it seems very clear to me JC has to act this month.

Again, whether he has the flexibility to be able to do so remains to be seen.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Losing faith, or still behind him on 17:47 - Jan 6 with 992 viewsColDale

the lack of wing players at the club is understandable given the way we set up, but it does make you wonder why we pursued Sean McConville for so long, I don't know whether the board refused to sanction the move or whether there simply wasn't the wages to make it happen, but from my limited knowledge of McConville, he was a winger by trade.
Losing faith, or still behind him on 17:58 - Jan 6 with 966 viewsmacro

Losing faith, or still behind him on 17:47 - Jan 6 by ColDale

the lack of wing players at the club is understandable given the way we set up, but it does make you wonder why we pursued Sean McConville for so long, I don't know whether the board refused to sanction the move or whether there simply wasn't the wages to make it happen, but from my limited knowledge of McConville, he was a winger by trade.

He's not exactly setting the world alight at barrow
Losing faith, or still behind him on 18:01 - Jan 6 with 962 viewsolympicdale

I've seen some people on here saying that Keith Hill coming in was the worst thing to happen to the club, as it raised the expectation of success, and the style of play the team adapts, how stupid can you get, I guess we should just be happy to sit still for the next 40 years again.

What is wrong with going to games wanting to be entertained, playing "sexy football". Our style of play at the moment you could describe as dogged/efficient/does a job type, but with very few bums off seats moments, and the fact the home crowds are dipping, fans arent wanting to put up with it, I heard various people saying the same thing going out, our play isnt entertaining, and that is what fans pay to watch, to be entertained, especially at home.

Life is a game of fate.

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024