Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Grand National 13:00 - Apr 4 with 9558 viewsmikeygunn

Who is backing what, and why? No idea and looking for some inspiration...
Grand National on 17:04 - Apr 5 with 1956 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Grand National on 16:46 - Apr 5 by headhoops

do a double with What a Friend - he owns that too!

good luck with whatever you lump on.

Good luck to you too and everyone betting.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Grand National on 17:25 - Apr 5 with 1937 viewsQPRDave

First horse put down this afternoon, well that sky have told us about,....terrible race imo
Grand National on 17:28 - Apr 5 with 1934 viewsQPRDave

Grand National on 23:03 - Apr 4 by Lblock

My recommendations for you:-

Dusty Carpet - never been beaten

AngoraSweater - great jumper

and my personal pick and favourite.....

Creosote - fantastic over fences

Now where did I leave my coat

childish.....right up my street
Grand National on 18:42 - Apr 5 with 1911 viewscheeseydane

Grand National on 17:25 - Apr 5 by QPRDave

First horse put down this afternoon, well that sky have told us about,....terrible race imo

2 now.

Technology advances, unfortunately humans do not.

Grand National on 23:18 - Apr 5 with 1864 viewsHunterhoop

Right narrowed it down to 3:

Teaforthree
Cappa Bleu
Balthazar King.

On His Own has a great chance too, but is underpriced in my book due to lack of experience over the big fences.

The Rainbow Hunter is a genuinely interesting long odds ew proposition if you like that sort of stuff.

Imperial Commander is the best chance in decades of top weight defying history and winning due to the mark it's off being so much lower than when at its peak.
Grand National on 07:01 - Apr 6 with 1842 viewswestberksr

Grand National on 18:42 - Apr 5 by cheeseydane

2 now.

given that one was a heart attack (which can happen at any time; I know as I've had that happen to a horse I owned) and Little Josh just didn't get a jump in. Nothing to do with it being a national fence or at Aintree, could have been any course in the country, or training at home; just ploughed the fence.

media coverage has gone well over the top on this.

thumbs up for C4 though; giving the build up and background good coverage, the 'how to win a grand national' programme last night was an excellent insight into the sport and the animals; but the do gooders will completely ignore that side of things.
Grand National on 08:14 - Apr 6 with 1833 viewsElHoop

My three are Chicago Grey, Join Together and Across the Bay.

They've all had wind operations fairly recently, they have some chance of getting the trip and they've all got a little bit of class, but do they have enough luck?
Grand National on 08:23 - Apr 6 with 1831 viewscheeseydane

Grand National on 07:01 - Apr 6 by westberksr

given that one was a heart attack (which can happen at any time; I know as I've had that happen to a horse I owned) and Little Josh just didn't get a jump in. Nothing to do with it being a national fence or at Aintree, could have been any course in the country, or training at home; just ploughed the fence.

thumbs up for C4 though; giving the build up and background good coverage, the 'how to win a grand national' programme last night was an excellent insight into the sport and the animals; but the do gooders will completely ignore that side of things.

So its ok if a horse dies this way, but not that way.

I couldnt give a tss if the horse was run over by an ice cream van at the course, the result is the same.

Still, at least the burgervans wont run out of stock.

Login to get fewer ads

Grand National on 09:14 - Apr 6 with 1821 viewsBlackCrowe

tenner each on Tea For Three and On His Own and a couple of quid each way on Viking Blond.

As I never win on the National, I urge you to avoid these nags at all costs.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Grand National on 09:21 - Apr 6 with 1811 viewskomradkirk

today i will be preventing chicago grey winning by having a couple of quid on it.
why does my money weigh so heavily on the poor horses ?
Grand National on 09:24 - Apr 6 with 1807 viewsCanadaRanger

"Half a crown each way" on Colbert Station...
Grand National on 09:28 - Apr 6 with 1800 viewswestberksr

Grand National on 08:23 - Apr 6 by cheeseydane

So its ok if a horse dies this way, but not that way.

I couldnt give a tss if the horse was run over by an ice cream van at the course, the result is the same.

Still, at least the burgervans wont run out of stock.

everyone gets on their high horse over this during the aintree festival when the risks are the same at virtually every race course all over the country every day of the week.

the media and do gooders just go at it for a few days a year; if they really cared they'd be at it 24/7. I can understand peoples objections to the sport but if people have these beliefs where are they for the other 51 weeks of the year?

BBC are doing the hypocrit job this year, having covered the GN for ever they've lost the gig this year so will be running a documentary on the theme of should the GN be banned; do you think they'd be running it if they still had the show. Every paper that will have some front page news on the fatalities have a 20 page pullout with all the runners and riders; this weeks news will be next week's chip wrapping and we'll all move on to Sandown and Punchestown and the rest of the world will forget about it for 51 weeks.

I've owned numerous race horses and cared a great deal for them but unfortunately accidents do happen as part of the sport; yes the animals are not there by 'choice' but are bred to race. Without racing they simply wouldn't be there at all & I've rehomed 3 ex racers who are living the life of Riley.

Dogooders could probably find 100 more worthy animal welfare causes before they get to racing and perhaps if they didn't just make throw away comments when fans of the sport want to discuss it they might get somewhere.
Grand National on 09:45 - Apr 6 with 1778 viewsKingy27

Grand National on 07:01 - Apr 6 by westberksr

I watched that and thought It was excellent. I really liked the way that female trainer did things, looking into the phsyc (sp) of the horses mind, allowing them to get out to have a run about to establish a pecking order amongst the pack

I went to point to point once and hated it. It was too close to the action. You could hear the horses as they jumped and came crashing down.
Not against horse racing tho and attend Cheltenham every year, just don't like to see the horses suffer.
Grand National on 09:48 - Apr 6 with 1775 viewsElHoop

Bit of National day trivia for you. Doubt that anyone will know the answer without cheating!

Who is the geezer and who led the horse into the winner's enclosure after the race before the National in 1966? Not entirely surprisingly, I can't find a photo of the winner being led in.

Grand National on 09:50 - Apr 6 with 1770 viewscheeseydane

Grand National on 09:28 - Apr 6 by westberksr

everyone gets on their high horse over this during the aintree festival when the risks are the same at virtually every race course all over the country every day of the week.

the media and do gooders just go at it for a few days a year; if they really cared they'd be at it 24/7. I can understand peoples objections to the sport but if people have these beliefs where are they for the other 51 weeks of the year?

BBC are doing the hypocrit job this year, having covered the GN for ever they've lost the gig this year so will be running a documentary on the theme of should the GN be banned; do you think they'd be running it if they still had the show. Every paper that will have some front page news on the fatalities have a 20 page pullout with all the runners and riders; this weeks news will be next week's chip wrapping and we'll all move on to Sandown and Punchestown and the rest of the world will forget about it for 51 weeks.

I've owned numerous race horses and cared a great deal for them but unfortunately accidents do happen as part of the sport; yes the animals are not there by 'choice' but are bred to race. Without racing they simply wouldn't be there at all & I've rehomed 3 ex racers who are living the life of Riley.

Dogooders could probably find 100 more worthy animal welfare causes before they get to racing and perhaps if they didn't just make throw away comments when fans of the sport want to discuss it they might get somewhere.

Im a member/supporter of various animal welfare groups and donate time and money the year round,(if trying to help prevent animal cruelty makes me a dogooder, sobeit) and believe me, people do campaign against activities such as horseracing 365 days a year, but of course the National is a high profile race so its natural theres more attention, plus the GNs diabolical record in deaths means its an obvious target.
I try to forego any discussions on here about animals as it is a sensitive subject for me, and any comments i have made were in response/reply to other posts, so hardly throwaway comments.
Its just one of those things where people will never agree on, so its not worth rattling cages on a football forum.
The original post is to discuss the race in a betting capacity so last word from me.
(apologies to MikeyGunn).
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Grand National on 10:19 - Apr 6 with 1680 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I've detested horse racing all year round for most of my years, but you're right - the Grand National does raise my awareness a notch when it comes around.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Grand National on 10:38 - Apr 6 with 1663 viewswestberksr

Grand National on 09:50 - Apr 6 by cheeseydane

Im a member/supporter of various animal welfare groups and donate time and money the year round,(if trying to help prevent animal cruelty makes me a dogooder, sobeit) and believe me, people do campaign against activities such as horseracing 365 days a year, but of course the National is a high profile race so its natural theres more attention, plus the GNs diabolical record in deaths means its an obvious target.
I try to forego any discussions on here about animals as it is a sensitive subject for me, and any comments i have made were in response/reply to other posts, so hardly throwaway comments.
Its just one of those things where people will never agree on, so its not worth rattling cages on a football forum.
The original post is to discuss the race in a betting capacity so last word from me.
(apologies to MikeyGunn).

fairplay Cheesy

fully support you if they are your beliefs and we are all entitled to our own opinion.

i hate animal cruelty but don't link racing to it as the perceived cruelty is a byproduct of the sport rather than outright cruelty. just seems that every year or big meet a thread on what to back ends up in row about the moral of the sport and the usual horseburger wisecracks.

have a good afternoon with whatever you are doing instead; the real cruelty may well be at about 4.15pm tomorrow!
Grand National on 10:53 - Apr 6 with 1646 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Grand National on 10:38 - Apr 6 by westberksr

fairplay Cheesy

fully support you if they are your beliefs and we are all entitled to our own opinion.

i hate animal cruelty but don't link racing to it as the perceived cruelty is a byproduct of the sport rather than outright cruelty. just seems that every year or big meet a thread on what to back ends up in row about the moral of the sport and the usual horseburger wisecracks.

have a good afternoon with whatever you are doing instead; the real cruelty may well be at about 4.15pm tomorrow!

the real cruelty may well be at about 4.15pm tomorrow!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Grand National on 11:11 - Apr 6 with 1619 viewsted_hendrix

I've got a big fat £1 riding on What a Friend.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Grand National on 11:30 - Apr 6 with 1603 viewsqpr85

The reason why the so called "dogooders" have a problem with this race in particular is because there about 45+ horses that race and only 30+ finish its incrediblethe amount of horses that run and dont finish. If you say that's fair game then that's your opinion. But dont slag off people cos they dont like the race FFS that's just being ignorant. Also just because you've owned race horses doesn't make you right about this subject it just means you have an opinion
Grand National on 11:50 - Apr 6 with 1587 viewswestberksr

Grand National on 11:30 - Apr 6 by qpr85

The reason why the so called "dogooders" have a problem with this race in particular is because there about 45+ horses that race and only 30+ finish its incrediblethe amount of horses that run and dont finish. If you say that's fair game then that's your opinion. But dont slag off people cos they dont like the race FFS that's just being ignorant. Also just because you've owned race horses doesn't make you right about this subject it just means you have an opinion

not having a go generally, just that the point of this thread was for those who do want to follow the race to discuss what to bet on. If the title of the thread was horse racing; yes or no, then fair enough to have a go and have that debate.

as stated in the subsequent reply to Cheesy; if people have those beliefs and support them then fair enough; just making throwaway criticisms when others are trying to discuss another aspect of a subject is a bit pointless; whether it be racing, footy or anything else.

loads of people don't like the race, why dig out those that do; works both ways.

as for the numbers of horses in the race; I tend to agree that 40 is probably a few too many; lots of those that don't finish are pulled up by the jockies, injury/fall free when they are obviously not enjoying the run or not likely to complete the course.

my perspective as an owner is that we aren't cruel by nature and the sweeping judgement of many that we and everyone else connected to the sport couldn't care less about the horses is very far from the truth; that was the point i was trying to make; not a smug 'what do you know' comment.

Grand National on 11:57 - Apr 6 with 1579 viewsqpr85

Grand National on 11:50 - Apr 6 by westberksr

not having a go generally, just that the point of this thread was for those who do want to follow the race to discuss what to bet on. If the title of the thread was horse racing; yes or no, then fair enough to have a go and have that debate.

as stated in the subsequent reply to Cheesy; if people have those beliefs and support them then fair enough; just making throwaway criticisms when others are trying to discuss another aspect of a subject is a bit pointless; whether it be racing, footy or anything else.

loads of people don't like the race, why dig out those that do; works both ways.

as for the numbers of horses in the race; I tend to agree that 40 is probably a few too many; lots of those that don't finish are pulled up by the jockies, injury/fall free when they are obviously not enjoying the run or not likely to complete the course.

my perspective as an owner is that we aren't cruel by nature and the sweeping judgement of many that we and everyone else connected to the sport couldn't care less about the horses is very far from the truth; that was the point i was trying to make; not a smug 'what do you know' comment.

I agree about the point of this thred is for betting tips so how its degenerated into an argument about if it's right or not. I just don't see this race as I do others so had to add my 2 cents for what they're worth
Grand National on 11:59 - Apr 6 with 1572 viewswestberksr

having a little saver on Sol at 40/1; as it's trained in the road in live in and I see it walk past in the morning.

got into the race late and is carrying no weight at all, big step up in class but will appreciate the drying ground and jumps well.
Grand National on 14:20 - Apr 6 with 1524 viewsHollowayRanger

way i see it red rum would stroll around the easy fences of today

the owners trainers ect invest a lot of money time and love in their horses so are just so upset when they lose one in a race

i guess some would like to see horse jumping banned which would leave a lot of people unemployed and a lot of horses ending up in supermarket pies

the national is the ONLY race i watch and bet on each year

so my 4 £5 on each ,like to do 2 good uns so ive got a chance at the finish and two long shots as my dad won with fionavon 100/1 all those years ago

1. on his own
2.chicago bay
3.the rainbow hunter
4.rare bob

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Grand National on 15:35 - Apr 6 with 1497 viewswood_hoop

1)Joncol
2)Always Waining

One of those that enjoy the racing but respect those that are against it, have taken a dog from the Retired Greyhound Trust in the past, lovely charecter and was a much loved member of the family.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024