Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Non-QPR: Book recommendations for hols 23:01 - Jul 8 with 4154 viewsN12Hoop

Having not read a book for many years thanks to the constant distraction and interruption of kids, i'm looking for recommendations for my imminent summer holiday in case opportunity presents itself. Fact, fiction, it doesn't matter. Just looking for a damn good read for any spare moments I'm able to get. Any recommendations from my cultural fellow R's gratefully received. Thanks.

Poll: Who would you most like to see win the Premiership?

Non-QPR: Book recommendations for hols on 23:18 - Jul 8 with 3185 viewsjohann28

I've just finished 'The Real Great Escape' by Guy Walters - tells the real story behind the film (which is of course much more weird and complex than fiction, but without motorbikes!). Compelling stuff imo
Non-QPR: Book recommendations for hols on 23:38 - Jul 8 with 3153 viewsToast_R

Rise of the Footsoldier - Carlton Leach

Now a film but I've nearly finished his book and I know it's a trendy thing to say but the book is so much better.

If you like Gangland real stories. Goes through the Retendon murders and all that business. Very interesting read.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Non-QPR: Book recommendations for hols on 23:55 - Jul 8 with 3137 viewsichbinnaughty

The Power of the Dog
by Don Winslow

Immense. Utterly immense.
Non-QPR: Book recommendations for hols on 23:58 - Jul 8 with 3137 viewsDWQPR

Master and Commander, the first of the Aubrey/Maturing books by Patrick O'Brian. Outstanding writing, based on the captain and the ship's doctor during the Napoleatic wars. Great stories. And if you like the first book turn you are in for a real treat as there are a further 20 in the series, which will cover your holidays for a few years.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Non-QPR: Book recommendations for hols on 00:03 - Jul 9 with 3133 viewsichbinnaughty

Fifty Shades Of Grey?

I've heard the character development is really first rate.
Non-QPR: Book recommendations for hols on 00:06 - Jul 9 with 3132 viewsstowmarketrange

I've just read Warnock's book and I'm halfway through Simon Jordan's.Both are worth reading and not too taxing for a holiday book.
Non-QPR: Book recommendations for hols on 00:48 - Jul 9 with 3116 viewshopphoops

Non-QPR: Book recommendations for hols on 23:58 - Jul 8 by DWQPR

Master and Commander, the first of the Aubrey/Maturing books by Patrick O'Brian. Outstanding writing, based on the captain and the ship's doctor during the Napoleatic wars. Great stories. And if you like the first book turn you are in for a real treat as there are a further 20 in the series, which will cover your holidays for a few years.

+1. If the holiday's over a week i'd suggest taking all 20.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Non-QPR: Book recommendations for hols on 03:41 - Jul 9 with 3103 viewstimcocking

Karl Mrlantes - Matterhorn

Extremely realistic portrayal of Vietnam war, by a geezer who was in it, a la Full Metal Jacket. Excellent.
Login to get fewer ads

Non-QPR: Book recommendations for hols on 06:18 - Jul 9 with 3085 viewsjohnhoop

Non-QPR: Book recommendations for hols on 03:41 - Jul 9 by timcocking

Extremely realistic portrayal of Vietnam war, by a geezer who was in it, a la Full Metal Jacket. Excellent.

Agreed, an amazing read that I think I mentioned on here before. But didn't you find the leech episode in the first chapter excruciating to even read about ?
Non-QPR: Book recommendations for hols on 07:14 - Jul 9 with 3070 viewsFearless

Non-QPR: Book recommendations for hols on 23:55 - Jul 8 by ichbinnaughty

The Power of the Dog
by Don Winslow

Immense. Utterly immense.

Agree with this.

I always recommend:
"Shantaram" when asked - and everyone who's read it has been happy with the recommendation.

'In the early 80s, Gregory David Roberts, an armed robber and heroin addict, escaped from an Australian prison to India, where he lived in a Bombay slum. There, he established a free health clinic and also joined the mafia, working as a money launderer, forger and street soldier. He found time to learn Hindi and Marathi, fall in love, and spend time being worked over in an Indian jail. Then, in case anyone thought he was slacking, he acted in Bollywood and fought with the Mujahedeen in Afghanistan . . . Amazingly, Roberts wrote Shantaram three times after prison guards trashed the first two versions. It's a profound tribute to his willpower . . . At once a high-kicking, eye-gouging adventure, a love saga and a savage yet tenderly lyrical fugitive vision.' Time Out
Non-QPR: Book recommendations for hols on 08:07 - Jul 9 with 3046 viewstimcocking

Non-QPR: Book recommendations for hols on 06:18 - Jul 9 by johnhoop

Agreed, an amazing read that I think I mentioned on here before. But didn't you find the leech episode in the first chapter excruciating to even read about ?

Hideous.

In fact, i'd blanked it from my memory until you reminded me

The utter futility of it all was painful. I know it was a novel, but extremely realistic, it all rang true i thought.
Non-QPR: Book recommendations for hols on 09:02 - Jul 9 with 3014 viewsCanadaRanger

Shameless plug for Gramp's book... and all proceeds go to the Tiger Cubs (QPR in the Community Trust)

http://www.qprtheolddays.com
Non-QPR: Book recommendations for hols on 09:14 - Jul 9 with 3008 viewstoboboly

Generation Kill. Factual and grimly humorous account of the Iraq invasion. Check out the series too. Brilliant stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Kill

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Non-QPR: Book recommendations for hols on 09:38 - Jul 9 with 2985 viewsMetallica_Hoop

My last 3 good reads since the last thread are:

Very very good book on the whole Dynasty

This is unputdownable.

This one makes you feel you are walking around in the Era.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Non-QPR: Book recommendations for hols on 10:09 - Jul 9 with 2963 viewslondonscottish

Non-QPR: Book recommendations for hols on 00:06 - Jul 9 by stowmarketrange

I've just read Warnock's book and I'm halfway through Simon Jordan's.Both are worth reading and not too taxing for a holiday book.

Excellent. I have asked for both for my upcoming birthday (with a view to reading them on holiday).

I also asked for the most recent Sebasatian Faulkes and Julian Barnes books. I've read most of Faulkes' books and have enjoyed them all. New to JB but his latest good excellent reviews

I recently enjoyed the Girl with the Dragon Tatoo trilogy . Realyl really struggled with the first 150 pages but was glad I persevered as they are great crime books.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Non-QPR: Book recommendations for hols on 10:12 - Jul 9 with 2960 viewsPhildo

Stoner by John Williams is the best book I have read in the last few years
Non-QPR: Book recommendations for hols on 12:01 - Jul 9 with 2916 viewspeakqpr

Modernity Britain by David Kynaston
Non-QPR: Book recommendations for hols on 12:13 - Jul 9 with 2902 viewsLoftusRdW12

The Old Man and the Sea, Ernest Hemmingway.

"I still don't know who scored our first and third goals. I'll have a look tonight." Neil Warnock

Non-QPR: Book recommendations for hols on 12:17 - Jul 9 with 2896 viewsTonto

Battle Royale by Koushun Takami

A class of school kids in an un-named (no its not North Korea honest) country are sent to an island and given weapons of various descriptions. Only one is allowed to get off.

Scary, thought provoking and well written (except a couple of translation mistakes).

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Non-QPR: Book recommendations for hols on 12:31 - Jul 9 with 2884 viewsQPunkR

World War Z, by Max Brooks (son of Mel!)
Really brilliant book in parts, read it a couple of years ago. Completely completely different from the film that just came out. You've got to slog through a couple of parts, but the payoffs in the rest of the book are well worth it. Very interesting and different take on normal zombie fare.

QPR - "shit but local"

Non-QPR: Book recommendations for hols on 12:43 - Jul 9 with 2874 viewsMrSheen

Non-QPR: Book recommendations for hols on 23:58 - Jul 8 by DWQPR

Sponge the woogles and findangle the blebbifurze, Mr Waterfeature, I'll be in the cabin with a bottle of Madeira if you see the Frenchies. Huzzah!

The Aubrey/Maturin books are very entertaining, but a bit ludicrous at the same time.

+1 for anything by David Kynaston. He's astonishingly productive, bringing out 800-page books every year that are very engaging and packed with interesting detail. He can get dock strikes, nuclear tests and Mick McManus on the same page. By the end, you're a bit better informed, with much stronger wrists.
Non-QPR: Book recommendations for hols on 13:05 - Jul 9 with 2850 viewssimmo

Not read any books in years but feeling inspired have just bought 2 from these referrals to try out.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Non-QPR: Book recommendations for hols on 13:33 - Jul 9 with 2837 viewstoboboly

Non-QPR: Book recommendations for hols on 13:05 - Jul 9 by simmo

Not read any books in years but feeling inspired have just bought 2 from these referrals to try out.

Own up, which ones?

Zombies and Hemingway are my bets!

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Non-QPR: Book recommendations for hols on 13:51 - Jul 9 with 2825 viewsPommyhoop

Last book I read.
I know H well and his son is an old mate from way back( 10 years old till now)
Very ,very easy read and full of cliches but 'Hey I know all the main characters so I had a giggle reading it'

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Non-QPR: Book recommendations for hols on 14:08 - Jul 9 with 2807 viewsrosseeles

Non-QPR: Book recommendations for hols on 03:41 - Jul 9 by timcocking

My kindle has been a bit sparse recently so Ive just brought Matterhorn and the simon Jordan autobiog . Matterhorn was only about 2 quid kindle version
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024