Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Something else to be concerned about... 09:35 - Oct 9 with 21173 viewsperchrockjack

PLAYERS CROSSING THEMSELVES.
Is it because they re Catholics but then not all do it.
It seems like a fashion thing to me as the Brazilians,Argies,Italians,Spaniards all seem keen to cross themselves pick up some grass and kiss it.
Some cross themselves after the game but not all .
Ive noted Dyer doing it and other players who ve had crap games so it obviously doesn't work.
It might also be offensive to MUSLIMS

This post has been edited by an administrator

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Something else to be concerned about... on 11:26 - Oct 14 with 1963 viewsSpratty

Something else to be concerned about... on 10:28 - Oct 14 by shingle

Poor old Spratty`s post`s are getting longer and longer.

Two replies on the trot Shingle? - seems you are winding yourself up - chill, your alter ego is getting excited - think I hear your mum calling you
Something else to be concerned about... on 11:51 - Oct 14 with 1943 viewsSpratty

Something else to be concerned about... on 11:21 - Oct 14 by Captain_Sham

I have a condition called dystonia. when I am at peace, I barely notice I have it. When I am at dis-ease it is an awful condition to live with. I find that meditation makes me alot calmer and reduces my symptoms significantly. Is that ok with you or are am I just lying to myself? If it works, it works whether you believe in it or not. You dont need to take chemicals to change the physiology of your body. If some walks up to you and calls you an ignorant dullard, you get angry. You are influenced by your environment, Yet you come on here and tell catullus that his friend couldnt have had the experience hes said he had simply because it doesn't fit with your belief system. You have none of the evidence you demand from others yet dimiss his story as pish with no hesitation.
[Post edited 14 Oct 2013 11:30]

Thought the same when I read it. Shows the same arrogance and certainty that the religious were accused of but which only seems to have been displayed by the "scientific".

On of the main attributes of a true scientist that really wants to discover what exists (rather than justify their preconceived notions) is surely a mind as free from preconception and prejudice as it is possible to be.
Something else to be concerned about... on 11:56 - Oct 14 with 1939 viewsswanjackal

Something else to be concerned about... on 11:21 - Oct 14 by Captain_Sham

I have a condition called dystonia. when I am at peace, I barely notice I have it. When I am at dis-ease it is an awful condition to live with. I find that meditation makes me alot calmer and reduces my symptoms significantly. Is that ok with you or are am I just lying to myself? If it works, it works whether you believe in it or not. You dont need to take chemicals to change the physiology of your body. If some walks up to you and calls you an ignorant dullard, you get angry. You are influenced by your environment, Yet you come on here and tell catullus that his friend couldnt have had the experience hes said he had simply because it doesn't fit with your belief system. You have none of the evidence you demand from others yet dimiss his story as pish with no hesitation.
[Post edited 14 Oct 2013 11:30]

I am sorry that you are suffering with said condition, and yes doing things that make it better for you.... keep it up. But I have to ask you, could you induce the calm necessary through a non meditative state? I have not once said the placebo effect isn't a good coping mechanism, or I have not said that the "state of mind" doesn't have an effect, as it does.

I have not completely dismissed the persons story, hence why I have asked what the condition was, and hence look at the possibility for a normal, non supernatural explanation. I should have qualified my statement with "it sounds like the placebo effect", for that you have my humble apologies.
[Post edited 14 Oct 2013 12:02]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

Something else to be concerned about... on 11:59 - Oct 14 with 1930 viewswaynekerr55

Something else to be concerned about... on 11:51 - Oct 14 by Spratty

Thought the same when I read it. Shows the same arrogance and certainty that the religious were accused of but which only seems to have been displayed by the "scientific".

On of the main attributes of a true scientist that really wants to discover what exists (rather than justify their preconceived notions) is surely a mind as free from preconception and prejudice as it is possible to be.

Isn't this awfully high brow for the "Fooball only" board

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Something else to be concerned about... on 13:08 - Oct 14 with 1889 viewsshingle

Something else to be concerned about... on 11:26 - Oct 14 by Spratty

Two replies on the trot Shingle? - seems you are winding yourself up - chill, your alter ego is getting excited - think I hear your mum calling you

Ok i`m only 12 but you have been going out of your way trying to debate and explain your views to someone who you believe is a young kid oh dear, so your not only off your rocker but you like young boy`s as well, i`ll have to get my big brother to beat you up you weido.
Something else to be concerned about... on 13:20 - Oct 14 with 1864 viewsswanjackal

Something else to be concerned about... on 11:51 - Oct 14 by Spratty

Actually a scientist should be skeptical of new claims. They should challenge the ideas put out by rigorously testing them under controlled conditions, they should seek to find evidence to either corroborate or falsify a claim, hence peer review.

I freely admit I should have said "sounds like", but I have asked for more information to research this phenomena. That is not born through certainty or arrogance, as I am not certain and would hardly say arrogant for asking for more information. I have a reasonable doubt that this condition was cured by prayer, based on very similar testimony.

All current investigations by reputed journals on the effects of prayer on curative aspects have been conclusive, in that there is no significant difference between prayer groups and a control. Now I cannot say categorically that it has no effect in this case, as more detail would be needed to know about the disease, and other changes in the lifestyle of the person, but stories like this are not new. I will remain a skeptic to the story, as the base outline is a common argument given for the positive nature of prayer.

I for one am pleased that a person has found a mechanism for improving their quality of life, and if that is religion/spirituality then go for it. It's not for me though.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

Something else to be concerned about... on 13:30 - Oct 14 with 1849 viewsSpratty

Something else to be concerned about... on 11:59 - Oct 14 by waynekerr55

Isn't this awfully high brow for the "Fooball only" board

Busted - back to my PhD
Something else to be concerned about... on 13:35 - Oct 14 with 1844 viewsSpratty

Something else to be concerned about... on 13:08 - Oct 14 by shingle

Ok i`m only 12 but you have been going out of your way trying to debate and explain your views to someone who you believe is a young kid oh dear, so your not only off your rocker but you like young boy`s as well, i`ll have to get my big brother to beat you up you weido.

Oh dear is that a formal threat of violence?

You are a poor imitation of our dear friend Belfast. A little of the aggression none of the Panache.
Login to get fewer ads

Something else to be concerned about... on 13:35 - Oct 14 with 1843 viewsmonmouth

Something else to be concerned about... on 10:59 - Oct 14 by Catullus

Ok, on the assumption that there is no god, there is still power in faith in god.
I know someone who had an experience. he saw this experience as proof of gods existence and became a born again christian.
he had been severely ill, uncurable. Modern medicine had tried and tried and tried.....and failed. Then one day he took a punt and went to a church. I'm not sure which church but believe it to be one of the more modern thinking "outlets" He started to feel better. In fact he got better. He had a complete recovery and is now a happy, healthy person. he works for the church that cured him, he has 3 kids and is very physically active.
He sees that as evidence of god. The more cynical will deny it. As said, I am firmly in the don't know camp.
I cannot deny the existence of something because I cannot see or touch it. But faith is obviously a very powerful thing.
On the other side, my mother had an illness which took her just over two years ago. She was a regular church goer. I guess that balances the argument out. Why would god choose, was Mr H a better person, a better christian. Was my mother just hedging her bets and didn't really believe, or was it just that god decided her time had come to be with him whereas Mr H had not yet reached his time?
I live by a certain set of rules. I sometimes break them. Those rules when reduced to the lowest denominator could be said to be basically the ten commandments. But I do not do organised religion.
I hope for something better. I do not think that someone of faith who attends church is mad, it's their life and their choice. I won't make the verbally insulting comments and assumptions that some do. I don't have the right to tell someone else what to believe, but I can question it.
Eg, is it right to believe that because we spent a record amount on one player, that we will challenge the top 6 six this season? I don't think so, some do.

certainly nobody can dispute the power of belief - it leads folks to kill innocent strangers and believe they are justified after all. It also can transform your body. I think that a positive attitude has a strong correlation with cancer survival? Placebos also prove it pretty effectively. Has nothing to do with the existence or otherwise of a supreme being though. For some people - not my bag, but I understand it - it brings comfort and that's fine.

My view is simple. Believe/don't believe - frankly I don't give a s**t but stop trying to convince other people or force your views on others. And, if you think you're so precious that 'god' or dead people care that you've scored a goal in a trivial game of football, then you're behaving like a dick.

edit: for 'you' read 'one'. This is not aimed at Catullus or his friend.
[Post edited 14 Oct 2013 13:37]

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Something else to be concerned about... on 13:52 - Oct 14 with 1825 viewsperchrockjack

Interesting thread though although it got personal aain.
See what I mean

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Something else to be concerned about... on 13:52 - Oct 14 with 1820 viewsBackHeel

i remember kids at school crossing themselves, purely because of seeing the Latin players doing it on the tellie, nobody (to my knowledge was Christian let along Catholic at Parklands, my old school in Sketty Park)
Something else to be concerned about... on 13:59 - Oct 14 with 1814 viewsmonmouth

Something else to be concerned about... on 13:52 - Oct 14 by BackHeel

i remember kids at school crossing themselves, purely because of seeing the Latin players doing it on the tellie, nobody (to my knowledge was Christian let along Catholic at Parklands, my old school in Sketty Park)

Aye 1970 a czech player (Petras?) crossed himself after scoring against Brazil. All the daft c***s in Penlan were doing it in our next few games. I'd forgotten about that until you said....memory is still in superb condition. Just goes to show, thick twunts - and there were no thickos thicker than Penlan thickos - will follow like sheep.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Something else to be concerned about... on 14:05 - Oct 14 with 1811 viewsCatullus

Something else to be concerned about... on 11:13 - Oct 14 by swanjackal

So you follow the first four of the ten commandments? And also the 10th with coveting?

You do realise there were laws in civilizations pre ten commandments that also punished murder and theft.

Also what you have described of the person with the illness is a classical case of a placebo effect. It's great they have felt better, but is he cured of his ailment? May I ask what the disease/illness was?

I said basically the ten commandments. I try not to lie, I don't steal, I covet a little bit. Next door have a nice car!
I won't reveal any more information about my friend, it may identify him. That's his choice to make, not mine. But his illness was serious, disabling and life shortening. He has been given the all clear, doctors were amazed.
I don't understand it either. I find it hard to believe but it happened. He believes his faith saved him. I won't knock him for that. Good luck to him.
Just because you don't believe something, it doesn't mean it's not possible.
Ten years ago, who would have believed this could happen to the Swans.

Miracles do happen.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Something else to be concerned about... on 14:10 - Oct 14 with 1800 viewsswanjackal

Something else to be concerned about... on 13:59 - Oct 14 by monmouth

Aye 1970 a czech player (Petras?) crossed himself after scoring against Brazil. All the daft c***s in Penlan were doing it in our next few games. I'd forgotten about that until you said....memory is still in superb condition. Just goes to show, thick twunts - and there were no thickos thicker than Penlan thickos - will follow like sheep.

1990 World Cup and Bebeto doing the "baby rocking" arms with Romario. This was copied by players in my U 12's team. Unfortunately, this was probably not just copying the trend, they probably were fathers at 12 years old.

Something else to be concerned about... on 14:34 - Oct 14 with 1792 viewsswanjackal

Something else to be concerned about... on 14:05 - Oct 14 by Catullus

I said basically the ten commandments. I try not to lie, I don't steal, I covet a little bit. Next door have a nice car!
I won't reveal any more information about my friend, it may identify him. That's his choice to make, not mine. But his illness was serious, disabling and life shortening. He has been given the all clear, doctors were amazed.
I don't understand it either. I find it hard to believe but it happened. He believes his faith saved him. I won't knock him for that. Good luck to him.
Just because you don't believe something, it doesn't mean it's not possible.
Ten years ago, who would have believed this could happen to the Swans.

Miracles do happen.

That's fair enough, although disagree with the miracles part.

I'm glad he is well, but am still very much skeptical of the claim that it was brought on from prayer.

You are right, my belief does not facilitate its possibility.

Something else to be concerned about... on 14:38 - Oct 14 with 1792 viewsSpratty

Something else to be concerned about... on 13:35 - Oct 14 by monmouth

certainly nobody can dispute the power of belief - it leads folks to kill innocent strangers and believe they are justified after all. It also can transform your body. I think that a positive attitude has a strong correlation with cancer survival? Placebos also prove it pretty effectively. Has nothing to do with the existence or otherwise of a supreme being though. For some people - not my bag, but I understand it - it brings comfort and that's fine.

My view is simple. Believe/don't believe - frankly I don't give a s**t but stop trying to convince other people or force your views on others. And, if you think you're so precious that 'god' or dead people care that you've scored a goal in a trivial game of football, then you're behaving like a dick.

edit: for 'you' read 'one'. This is not aimed at Catullus or his friend.
[Post edited 14 Oct 2013 13:37]

I agree so long as the not trying to force your views on others counts for all sides.

Possibly the players are just thanking whatever cosmic power that ultimately created us for their ability to score (we are stardust...). Or remembering and paying tribute to a dead relative who has played an important part in what they achieved and would be tremendously proud of them scoring, if they could see it. No more precious than punching the air, grass surfing or drawing an imaginary heart (possibly less so).

That I think might be a more balanced, less mocking view. To how many people without particular religious belief is thank god a natural part of the vocabulary.
Something else to be concerned about... on 18:56 - Oct 14 with 1753 viewsbuzzbox

Something else to be concerned about... on 13:35 - Oct 14 by Spratty

Oh dear is that a formal threat of violence?

You are a poor imitation of our dear friend Belfast. A little of the aggression none of the Panache.

Does not seem like a threat of violence to me, more of a tongue in cheek tease, you are being taken for a ride by the young lad, and others on here as well, seems you are the only one on here who can not see that, you need to grow up and stop being made a fool of.
[Post edited 14 Oct 2013 19:46]
Something else to be concerned about... on 19:23 - Oct 14 with 1725 viewsNeath_Jack

I have absolutely no interest in the subject, but i have thoroughly enjoyed swanjackal taking on all comers and putting them to bed. While others snidely trying to trip him up, he just bats it all back without a hint nastiness. Da iawn butt.

Where's Jackb gone these days, he used to be the same too.
[Post edited 14 Oct 2013 19:29]

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Something else to be concerned about... (n/t) on 19:45 - Oct 14 with 1706 viewsbuzzbox

Something else to be concerned about... on 19:23 - Oct 14 by Neath_Jack

I have absolutely no interest in the subject, but i have thoroughly enjoyed swanjackal taking on all comers and putting them to bed. While others snidely trying to trip him up, he just bats it all back without a hint nastiness. Da iawn butt.

[Post edited 14 Oct 2013 19:55]
Something else to be concerned about... on 20:35 - Oct 14 with 1683 viewsCatullus

Something else to be concerned about... on 19:23 - Oct 14 by Neath_Jack

has he put me to bed? I didn't notice, I was talking to god

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Something else to be concerned about... on 22:33 - Oct 14 with 1661 viewsSpratty

Something else to be concerned about... on 18:56 - Oct 14 by buzzbox

Does not seem like a threat of violence to me, more of a tongue in cheek tease, you are being taken for a ride by the young lad, and others on here as well, seems you are the only one on here who can not see that, you need to grow up and stop being made a fool of.
[Post edited 14 Oct 2013 19:46]

Hello again Shingle, don't let it get inside the head of you and your internet pals

I think the only ones potentially taken for a ride by young! Shingle was anyone who might have taken you oops him up on his offer of a lift in his last thread.

"Two spaces available in my car for this game, will be leaving from Burry Port, no problem picking you up from llanelli or Swansea.will be driving straight back after game."

Unfortunately unable to take anyone for a ride there either. Perhaps young! Shingle was driving his Tonka truck
Something else to be concerned about... on 07:06 - Oct 15 with 1638 viewsShaky

Article: The 10 Most Important Questions In Science

http://www.npr.org/blogs/13.7/2013/09/10/221019045/the-10-most-important-questio

"*Every list of "most important questions" comes freighted with a certain amount of arbitrariness and by Mun Keat Looi, Hayley Birch and Colin Stuart is no different. However, I have to admit that this list encompasses some of the most difficult and intriguing open scientific questions, including some that go to the heart of the current debate on scientism. (Our very own Adam Frank visited that theme .) So, without further preface, here are the 10 big questions for this week:"

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

Something else to be concerned about... on 11:22 - Oct 15 with 1604 viewsbuzzbox

Something else to be concerned about... on 22:33 - Oct 14 by Spratty

Hello again Shingle, don't let it get inside the head of you and your internet pals

I think the only ones potentially taken for a ride by young! Shingle was anyone who might have taken you oops him up on his offer of a lift in his last thread.

"Two spaces available in my car for this game, will be leaving from Burry Port, no problem picking you up from llanelli or Swansea.will be driving straight back after game."

Unfortunately unable to take anyone for a ride there either. Perhaps young! Shingle was driving his Tonka truck

You have now become Paranoid as well, everybody who make`s a negative comment towards you have now become Shingle, your a pretty sad chap, what everyone like myself is seeing here is a grown man getting upset at being wound up by an youngster who no doubt will grow up as he gets older, you really should try to let it go mate.
Something else to be concerned about... on 11:28 - Oct 15 with 1596 viewsshingle

Something else to be concerned about... on 22:33 - Oct 14 by Spratty

I have really done your head in, you are now spending your time checking me out and going through my posts omg lol, it`s my oldman`s car he`s driving it, you daft sod.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2013 11:29]
Something else to be concerned about... on 12:26 - Oct 15 with 1573 viewslovejuicejack

Something else to be concerned about... on 11:17 - Oct 9 by ItchySphincter

Toward Mecca by the sound of it.

Aye ... Mecca bingo in Morriston
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024