Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Article in programme - Simon Barker 10:41 - Nov 3 with 5353 viewsAntti_Heinola

Anyone else see that article in the programme yesterday that basically took the p!ss out of Simon Barker? I suppose it was meant to be affectionately fun, but it came across as a bit out of order to me. I know Barker wasn't everyone's favourite, but the guy played for us for years, always put a shift in, scored some important goals and was a great club man and a very decent midfielder. I'll never forget the time he scored at the Loft for Port Vale against us and refused to celebrate, showing a lot of respect for us.
Had it been an internet article it probably wouldn't have bothered me, but being in the match programme it jarred I think. You'd never get Clive digging out a player like that in his article. Very poor from Ian Taylor IMO to let this pass through.

Bare bones.

Article in programme - Simon Barker on 10:45 - Nov 3 with 3869 viewsQPRDave

what did it say?
Article in programme - Simon Barker on 10:48 - Nov 3 with 3861 viewsAntti_Heinola

Kind of just said he wasn't very good, was very patronising, claimed he was called 'Mavis' because he dithered on the ball and never made a decision, like Mavis in Corrie (in reality, it was because he looked like Les Dennis, who was famous for his Mavis impression). It wasn't anything terrible, just felt unnecessary to me and left a bad taste. He probably didn;t mean it to come out like that, but let's say if Barker had attended the game for some reason in the corporate area, it would have been embarrassing for the club, IMO.

Bare bones.

Article in programme - Simon Barker on 10:52 - Nov 3 with 3841 viewsdaveB

agree it was piss poor and the mavis thing was embarrassing, he was called that due to being a ringer for Les Dennis
[Post edited 3 Nov 2013 11:27]
Article in programme - Simon Barker on 10:58 - Nov 3 with 3819 viewsQPRDave

Yeah fair point. Good servant to the club and steady footballer. Can't have a team of Taarabt type players. Remember his late equaliser v Liverpool home in the FA cup
Article in programme - Simon Barker on 11:40 - Nov 3 with 3725 viewsCamberleyR

Article in programme - Simon Barker on 10:58 - Nov 3 by QPRDave

Yeah fair point. Good servant to the club and steady footballer. Can't have a team of Taarabt type players. Remember his late equaliser v Liverpool home in the FA cup

That game was probably Barker's finest game in the hoops. He was everywhere that day. If I remember correctly he also set up the first goal for Wilkins as well. A great club servant for ten years who probably didn't get the credit he deserved.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Article in programme - Simon Barker on 11:48 - Nov 3 with 3697 viewspaulparker

yet again another ex player being treated shabby by the club, Barker had a lot more good moments than bad for us and the trio of him, olly and Wilkins in the earlier 90's was a very good,
I also seem to remember when Gerry 1st took over it was Barker and his Goals that kept us from really struggling that season
i haven't bought a programme in years always AKUTRS but i really think those who do should boycott it until this plum Taylor makes an apology

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Article in programme - Simon Barker on 13:02 - Nov 3 with 3593 viewsqueensparker

To be fair, he used to take a terrible slagging from The Paddock game in game out where I stood in those days. It was only in the latter part of his QPR career people warmed to him (as we got steadily worse).

Not on putting that in the programme though
Article in programme - Simon Barker on 13:21 - Nov 3 with 3544 viewsparker64

Haven't bought a programme in years but seems uncalled for. I remember one dire away game (maybe Stoke or Preston) where we were beyond hopeless and as the players trudged off at half time Barker was having a right barney with some of the Rs fans.
Login to get fewer ads

Article in programme - Simon Barker on 13:31 - Nov 3 with 3510 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Barker was a very decent player. Lacking flash and pace, he was an easy target for some of the home boo-boys, but he had good positioning, intelligence, tackling and passing. Was far more popular with the away crowd, if I recall correctly. Would love a player like him any day.

Haven't read the piece so I won't comment on it except to say he's wrong about the Mavis nickname.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Article in programme - Simon Barker on 13:43 - Nov 3 with 3487 viewsNov77

The frustrating part of barkers game was how often he gave the ball away carelessly. A simple 10 yard pass to a team mate would often end up as a throw in to the opposition.
He was capable of good moments, but I used to dread it whenever he stepped up to take a penalty, he must have missed as many he scored.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Article in programme - Simon Barker on 14:02 - Nov 3 with 3434 viewsloftboy

Prime example was Everton away 1990, grand national day, 11:00 kick off so most of us were up at 5 to get there, he tamely passed a penalty straight at southall to miss in the last minute. We lost 1-0

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Article in programme - Simon Barker on 14:17 - Nov 3 with 3406 viewsTheBlob

If that's all the criticism people can muster about him being no good at penalties....he always put in a shift and had lots more skill than he was often given credit for.
Whoever wrote that article deserves having his bollocks kicked.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Article in programme - Simon Barker on 14:37 - Nov 3 with 3374 viewspaulparker

Article in programme - Simon Barker on 14:17 - Nov 3 by TheBlob

If that's all the criticism people can muster about him being no good at penalties....he always put in a shift and had lots more skill than he was often given credit for.
Whoever wrote that article deserves having his bollocks kicked.

Spot on Blob !! Barker was so unlucky not to be a part of the England World Cup squad in 1990 his form that season was awesome
yes he fluffed a few Pens, but he was with us for 10 years and always gave 100%
it was his donkey work that gave space for Wilkins to pull the strings in Midfield
like I said earlier another ex player treated like s*it by our club

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Article in programme - Simon Barker on 14:44 - Nov 3 with 3356 viewsTheBlob

Article in programme - Simon Barker on 14:37 - Nov 3 by paulparker

Spot on Blob !! Barker was so unlucky not to be a part of the England World Cup squad in 1990 his form that season was awesome
it was his donkey work that gave space for Wilkins to pull the strings in Midfield

Yeah that's right about the England situation,he must have been very close.Would have been an asset imo.
[Post edited 3 Nov 2013 14:44]

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Article in programme - Simon Barker on 14:50 - Nov 3 with 3342 viewsAntti_Heinola

I should say it wasn't *terrible*, just misjudged. Some people might well read it and think I'm making a fuss about nothing, but it just felt off to me. As others have said, Barker was a good player for us and he did take some stick from some fans (although so did Les!), but the guy played for us for 10 years and got over 300 appearances, most of them at the highest level and was a key part of the team that finished 5th in the inaugural Prem season and I'm pretty sure played the day we beat Man U 4-1. I know this is a bit hypocritical, but I think it's ok to have a bit of a joke about any shortcomings he may have had on here, but I don't think it's on for a journalist to do it in the official programme.

Bare bones.

Article in programme - Simon Barker on 14:50 - Nov 3 with 3342 viewsLythamR

Article in programme - Simon Barker on 13:21 - Nov 3 by parker64

Haven't bought a programme in years but seems uncalled for. I remember one dire away game (maybe Stoke or Preston) where we were beyond hopeless and as the players trudged off at half time Barker was having a right barney with some of the Rs fans.

That was Stoke first time at the Britannia

about 20 fans gathered at the bottom left of the stand and were throwing out abuse at the players as the headed to the tunnel in the corner, "F**k of you bunch of C**ts was his exact words, I wasnt in the group but sat close enough to hear every word, it was disappointing but on the whole he was a very very good servant for QPR and deserves a bit better than what this article seems to offer
Article in programme - Simon Barker on 14:57 - Nov 3 with 3325 viewsNov77

Article in programme - Simon Barker on 14:37 - Nov 3 by paulparker

england world cup squad of 1990 had the likes of robson, gascoigne, barnes, platt, waddle etc, sorry but Barker was nowhere near good enough to make that squad.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Article in programme - Simon Barker on 14:59 - Nov 3 with 3317 viewspaulparker

Article in programme - Simon Barker on 14:44 - Nov 3 by TheBlob

Yeah that's right about the England situation,he must have been very close.Would have been an asset imo.
[Post edited 3 Nov 2013 14:44]

especially when we took crap like Neil Webb & Steve Hodge
Barker at that time was running our Midfield people forget the engine he had to get up & down the pitch and he was also covering a lot of ground for Wilkins
that 1990 team at Rangers was a very good team under Howe

Article in programme - Simon Barker on 15:25 - Nov 3 with 3255 viewscjc

Remember it well. Great day though, went to the national afterwards and got drunk with all players. Kenny gave me a few tips! I could have done without.

Where there is hoop there's the hoops.

Article in programme - Simon Barker on 15:41 - Nov 3 with 3223 viewsted_hendrix

Simon Barker was an o.k. footballer for us nothing more nothing less, like others I haven't bought a programme since I don't know when so that's that then.
As I see it Barker being at the club for at least 10 Years should have earnt him some form of respect? not what sounds like a piss take-if the article is in the QPR programme then its been written in the clubs name.
I met Simon Barker at a huge charity thing after he left us and he was a good bloke and we chatted for a good while.
Thank God Bob Malcolm signed for QPR years later, up until that point Simon Barker must have been the slowest player I ever saw wearing a Rangers shirt.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Article in programme - Simon Barker on 15:59 - Nov 3 with 3182 viewsWesty75

Article in programme - Simon Barker on 13:02 - Nov 3 by queensparker

To be fair, he used to take a terrible slagging from The Paddock game in game out where I stood in those days. It was only in the latter part of his QPR career people warmed to him (as we got steadily worse).

Not on putting that in the programme though

Yeah by the same inadequates who take perverse pleasure in abusing our own players. Some things never change. Always liked Barker, he never hid, proper servant and all that.
Article in programme - Simon Barker on 16:03 - Nov 3 with 3175 viewsWesty75

Article in programme - Simon Barker on 14:50 - Nov 3 by LythamR

That was Stoke first time at the Britannia

about 20 fans gathered at the bottom left of the stand and were throwing out abuse at the players as the headed to the tunnel in the corner, "F**k of you bunch of C**ts was his exact words, I wasnt in the group but sat close enough to hear every word, it was disappointing but on the whole he was a very very good servant for QPR and deserves a bit better than what this article seems to offer

Good for him. Remember Rowlands getting stick for doing the same in front of ellerslie a few years ago. Fair enough to slag off players that don't make an effort, but makes me laugh when fans are happy to dish it out but get all offended when it comes back at them.
Article in programme - Simon Barker on 16:24 - Nov 3 with 3135 viewssmegma

Just read the article and cant see what all the fuss is about or what Ian Taylor has done wrong when it was written by a sky sports presenter and lifelong fan (allegedly).
Article in programme - Simon Barker on 17:32 - Nov 3 with 3022 viewsBushman

Article in programme - Simon Barker on 11:40 - Nov 3 by CamberleyR

That game was probably Barker's finest game in the hoops. He was everywhere that day. If I remember correctly he also set up the first goal for Wilkins as well. A great club servant for ten years who probably didn't get the credit he deserved.

He played like a wizard that game.

Always a butt for the boo boys(like mick leach) but in actual fact a decent nice bloke.
[Post edited 3 Nov 2013 17:35]

I know almost nothing about the Premier League even though I try to catch the big games every now and then at the end of the season. But I will say this, Queens Park Rangers is just a fukking sick ass team name. Just sounds so cool.

Article in programme - Simon Barker on 17:41 - Nov 3 with 3003 viewsWeaverQPR

Article in programme - Simon Barker on 16:24 - Nov 3 by smegma

Just read the article and cant see what all the fuss is about or what Ian Taylor has done wrong when it was written by a sky sports presenter and lifelong fan (allegedly).

Was it Tony ten jobs?

@WeavQPR

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024