Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tube Strike confirmation 10:54 - Jan 30 with 5955 viewssimmo

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/media/newscentre/29534.aspx

From the evening of Tuesday 4th February (9.30pm) to the morning of Friday 7th February there is going to be a 48 hour strike on London Underground.

Same will happen the following week (Tuesday 11th February).

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Tube Strike confirmation on 11:19 - Jan 30 with 3067 viewssmegma

Starts Tues 2100/ends Thurs 2100.
[Post edited 30 Jan 2014 11:21]
Tube Strike confirmation on 11:33 - Jan 30 with 3021 viewsdaveB

w@nkers
Tube Strike confirmation on 11:43 - Jan 30 with 2991 viewsWokingR

Tube Strike confirmation on 11:33 - Jan 30 by daveB

w@nkers

Always have been, always will be and led by the biggest w@nker of them all
Tube Strike confirmation on 12:09 - Jan 30 with 2939 viewsmakaveli1882

Tube Strike confirmation on 11:43 - Jan 30 by WokingR

Always have been, always will be and led by the biggest w@nker of them all

this is a nightmare for me, absolute w*nkers
Tube Strike confirmation on 12:45 - Jan 30 with 2854 viewsHollowayRanger

please bring in driverless trains

and sack as many of them as possible

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Tube Strike confirmation on 13:11 - Jan 30 with 2777 viewsstowmarketrange

How many people on here would accept changes to their working hours to include working nights and weekends?I don't know the details of what was expected of them regarding the changes to family lives,etc.Until I do,I might just give them the benefit of doubt.
Fair enough if they recruit new staff on new contracts,but they are changing a major part of the existing staffs terms and conditions.
They are expected to give up their weekends and nights with their families so that we can enjoy our leisure time more.
I expect Boris and his Tory press will exploit the situation to the hilt.
Tube Strike confirmation on 13:32 - Jan 30 with 2699 viewsNorthernr

Tube Strike confirmation on 13:11 - Jan 30 by stowmarketrange

How many people on here would accept changes to their working hours to include working nights and weekends?I don't know the details of what was expected of them regarding the changes to family lives,etc.Until I do,I might just give them the benefit of doubt.
Fair enough if they recruit new staff on new contracts,but they are changing a major part of the existing staffs terms and conditions.
They are expected to give up their weekends and nights with their families so that we can enjoy our leisure time more.

Pay me more than 40k a year to make a fcking train stop and start and I'll work whenever you like mate.
Tube Strike confirmation on 13:36 - Jan 30 with 2680 viewsrunningman75

I do not Boris but if I do not get to work I do not get paid. The Unions will alienate the people who need to get to work. Surely there are better ways of the unions fighting Boris.
Login to get fewer ads

Tube Strike confirmation on 13:47 - Jan 30 with 2640 viewsNorthernr

Tube Strike confirmation on 13:36 - Jan 30 by runningman75

I do not Boris but if I do not get to work I do not get paid. The Unions will alienate the people who need to get to work. Surely there are better ways of the unions fighting Boris.

Plays right into our chump mayor's hands by alienating all public support. Tube drivers are seen as being well paid, and prone to striking at the drop of a hat, led by a detestable union rep - all of which means that when Boris starts ordering driverless trains a good few people are going to say "good".
Tube Strike confirmation on 13:57 - Jan 30 with 2602 viewsHunterhoop

Tube Strike confirmation on 13:11 - Jan 30 by stowmarketrange

This is a nonsense.

What you're describing: change in working hours and contract, happens in all industries and to lots of people. It is a way of life.

People in thepublic sector, because of how it has been run for decades, have been both adverse to change and in opposition to it under some strange belief that it's not fair for changes to be made which they don't agree with. Err..why not? If we never changed the way businesses (public and private) operated, we'd never move forward and have economic growth.

Look at it another way, they're not in a role which is being relocated to India, therefore facing redundancy. They're simply being told their working hours need to change. It's nowhere near as bad as a lot of people out there face.

Then when you add on top of this that, due to years of industrial action, they have got a current package, which I believe is: 35 hour working week, salary £49k p.a. rising to £52k p.a. in 2015, 9 weeks paid leave. Please correct me if that's slightly wrong but I saw a report last year, and I think that's broadly correct.

When you take that into account, I think it's hard to reach any conclusion that they are behaving extremely selfishly and unreasonably and that driverless trains are required to bring some balance to the negotiating power they have.
Tube Strike confirmation on 13:57 - Jan 30 with 2602 viewsstowmarketrange

Tube Strike confirmation on 13:32 - Jan 30 by Northernr

Pay me more than 40k a year to make a fcking train stop and start and I'll work whenever you like mate.

I'm sure you could apply for a job then.What about the station staff who are paid a fraction of that wage but will still be expected to be flexible with their working time?
If there are proper negotiations between all parties, instead of chump Boris announcing what was going to happen,then it might be better for all concerned.
Tube Strike confirmation on 14:04 - Jan 30 with 2575 viewssimmo

Tube Strike confirmation on 13:57 - Jan 30 by stowmarketrange

I'm sure you could apply for a job then.What about the station staff who are paid a fraction of that wage but will still be expected to be flexible with their working time?
If there are proper negotiations between all parties, instead of chump Boris announcing what was going to happen,then it might be better for all concerned.

What the fck is so special about tube and train staff that means they won't be subjected to a change in their working conditions unless it's on their terms?!

Tube Strike confirmation on 14:12 - Jan 30 with 2543 viewsdaveB

I have changes to my working conditions and way i work every year as the world changes and you need to adapt. I rarely get a say in it just have to get on with it or find a new job
Tube Strike confirmation on 14:14 - Jan 30 with 2534 viewsstowmarketrange

Tube Strike confirmation on 14:04 - Jan 30 by simmo

What the fck is so special about tube and train staff that means they won't be subjected to a change in their working conditions unless it's on their terms?!

Nothing particularly,but if you sign up for a job on certain terms and conditions,it should only be changed through proper negotiations,not because some buffoon wants to make sure his friends can get home from the theatre when they want to.
If tubes are to run all night,then offer drivers the opportunity to change shifts,and if you can't find enough people to change,then recruit people to specifically work those night shifts,not force existing drivers to change.
Tube Strike confirmation on 14:20 - Jan 30 with 2500 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

What you guys are failing to understand is, this a station staff issue. Probably the start of more cuts to come which may affect drivers at some point. Some trains will operate during the strike.

A loss of 950 station staff jobs (750 after all night running at weekend starts to get the pi55heads home from the pubs and clubs). It amazes me some of the comments here when people's livelihoods are at stake.

As I have previously posted, LUL is intent on closing every single ticket office by this time next year, so good luck on purchasing a ticket if your an out of towner, foreign tourist or just plain not used to the system.
Tube Strike confirmation on 14:22 - Jan 30 with 2487 viewsRangersw12

Tube Strike confirmation on 14:20 - Jan 30 by Sudbury_Hill_R

What you guys are failing to understand is, this a station staff issue. Probably the start of more cuts to come which may affect drivers at some point. Some trains will operate during the strike.

A loss of 950 station staff jobs (750 after all night running at weekend starts to get the pi55heads home from the pubs and clubs). It amazes me some of the comments here when people's livelihoods are at stake.

As I have previously posted, LUL is intent on closing every single ticket office by this time next year, so good luck on purchasing a ticket if your an out of towner, foreign tourist or just plain not used to the system.

Buying train tickets on line or use the machines better than talking to the prick in the office who tries to rip people off
Tube Strike confirmation on 14:24 - Jan 30 with 2482 viewsBrightonhoop

Tube Strike confirmation on 14:04 - Jan 30 by simmo

It's what Unions are for. To protect their members against unscrupulous and incompetent employers who induce employees then welsh on terms in contract. The closure of Ticket Offices in favour of machines should have been commenced years ago on a phased in basis, but that would have required Boris to be competent in post as Mayor.
Boris is just looking for a fight to distract from the incompetent managing of the UK Economy by Dave. Five years in and they have just had to bail out Co-Op bank, so they haven't got a clue what they are doing still....
Tube Strike confirmation on 14:28 - Jan 30 with 2460 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

Tube Strike confirmation on 14:22 - Jan 30 by Rangersw12

Buying train tickets on line or use the machines better than talking to the prick in the office who tries to rip people off

Until your ticket or Oyster is defective. Then what? Phone this number, they will try to assist you. Meantime please purchase another ticket and we will sort it out in a few days if we can!
Tube Strike confirmation on 14:29 - Jan 30 with 2456 viewsstowmarketrange

Tube Strike confirmation on 14:22 - Jan 30 by Rangersw12

It is ok for you to buy online but what about foreign visitors?
The queues at Liverpool st station are massive on the weekends with people who don't know what ticket to buy and are looking for information?
Tube Strike confirmation on 14:35 - Jan 30 with 2441 viewszicoshoops

We talk about players 'only' earning 40/50/60/70k per week.
Yet 'workers' who earn 40/50k per year are considered greedy b.astards.

It's a funny old world.

What's going on?

We should be told.

Sort it out.
Tube Strike confirmation on 14:50 - Jan 30 with 2393 viewssimmo

Tube Strike confirmation on 14:14 - Jan 30 by stowmarketrange

Nothing particularly,but if you sign up for a job on certain terms and conditions,it should only be changed through proper negotiations,not because some buffoon wants to make sure his friends can get home from the theatre when they want to.
If tubes are to run all night,then offer drivers the opportunity to change shifts,and if you can't find enough people to change,then recruit people to specifically work those night shifts,not force existing drivers to change.

It's not about 'peole getting home from the theatre'. It's the 21st century, we should have a transport system that runs through the night, even if it's just at the weekends where people are typically out and about well past the last train curfew.

What about people that WORK at those 'theatres' or bars etc that could do with a direct route home? How many of those people are mates with Boris?

They should recruit new people that actually want to do the job, you're right. I don't think we should be denied a modern transport system because 30% of people are happy with their current working hours.

Tube Strike confirmation on 14:53 - Jan 30 with 2385 viewsYorkRanger

Tube Strike confirmation on 14:24 - Jan 30 by Brightonhoop

It's what Unions are for. To protect their members against unscrupulous and incompetent employers who induce employees then welsh on terms in contract. The closure of Ticket Offices in favour of machines should have been commenced years ago on a phased in basis, but that would have required Boris to be competent in post as Mayor.
Boris is just looking for a fight to distract from the incompetent managing of the UK Economy by Dave. Five years in and they have just had to bail out Co-Op bank, so they haven't got a clue what they are doing still....

In the interests of accuracy, The Cooperative Bank did have to construct a rescue deal, however that did not involve a government bail out. That is my understanding, although happy to be corrected.

Apologies this doesn't sit well with the "all bankers get huge bonuses and are corrupt and incompetent theme"

Tube Strike confirmation on 14:55 - Jan 30 with 2379 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

Tube Strike confirmation on 14:50 - Jan 30 by simmo

It's not about 'peole getting home from the theatre'. It's the 21st century, we should have a transport system that runs through the night, even if it's just at the weekends where people are typically out and about well past the last train curfew.

What about people that WORK at those 'theatres' or bars etc that could do with a direct route home? How many of those people are mates with Boris?

They should recruit new people that actually want to do the job, you're right. I don't think we should be denied a modern transport system because 30% of people are happy with their current working hours.

Guys. This is not about shift patterns or all night working and has nothing to do with the current unrest amongst staff. It's purely the job losses and reduction of pay of around 4-5k per annum for some staff over the next few years.
Tube Strike confirmation on 14:56 - Jan 30 with 2371 viewsHunterhoop

Tube Strike confirmation on 14:29 - Jan 30 by stowmarketrange

It is ok for you to buy online but what about foreign visitors?
The queues at Liverpool st station are massive on the weekends with people who don't know what ticket to buy and are looking for information?

Okay, so this is a practical concern around the logic applied to the reach the decision of having no one onsite to deal with customer issues. Fine. I can see your point. I don't think the action the is the right way to deal with and don't believe the action is really driven by this.

As your original point made clear, the members striking are almost certainly doing so because of the proposed changes to their working conditions and hours, and because "brothers" are being laid off in stations. As my earlier post explains, I have little sympathy for that. It happens to a lot of people and to a worse degree. It is also necessary for economic growth.

The point made above about unions and unscrupulous employers. I don't think that case can be put forward here. The package staff receive is clearly very good and this isn't a case of people being hired and then the next day their terms being changed. I think there's no evidence to suggest people have been hired under false pretences.
Tube Strike confirmation on 15:00 - Jan 30 with 2361 viewsHunterhoop

Tube Strike confirmation on 14:55 - Jan 30 by Sudbury_Hill_R

Guys. This is not about shift patterns or all night working and has nothing to do with the current unrest amongst staff. It's purely the job losses and reduction of pay of around 4-5k per annum for some staff over the next few years.

That wasn't the initial position put across by stowemarkethoop.

And the link between improvement in service (late night, weekends, etc) through change in working conditions and driverless trains clearly links into your point below around job losses. So everything said is still relevant.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024