Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
From the Holloways Mouth 01:49 - Aug 23 with 9325 viewsFredManRave

It should be safe to post this now as Brighton must surely be in bed by now;

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/ollie-reflects-on-brentford-cup-defeat/

Can't copy and paste text!

In summary. We go again on Saturday.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

From the Holloways Mouth on 01:53 - Aug 23 with 7244 viewsSonofNorfolt

What Olly is saying is this,
' WE HAD WRITTEN THE GAME OF FROM THE START'

If we get any points at Cardiff, no one will remember this.
From the Holloways Mouth on 03:11 - Aug 23 with 7177 viewstimcocking

I think the Cardiff match has nothing to do with the league cup. As Clive always says, the modern managers' attitudes to these competitions are clearly incorrect, and the time will come when they realise that. Like all this squad rotation bollox - counter productive in every way.

That said, we all knew Holloway would play the reserve team, if we sacked him for that, we'd bring in another manager who'd play the reserve team in the cup. It's bloody annoying and i'm p!ssed off about last night, but hardly the end of the world.
From the Holloways Mouth on 04:44 - Aug 23 with 7150 viewsvegasranger

Don't these managers understand the importance of a local derby? A cup run? Let's forget the money the club could earn. The club is focusing on the league. Again. Let's not give the fans hope and dreams of a cup run. It's all about the dour , cr@ppy level of football in the Championship. The owners have made huge mistakes ( and they still are employing Holloway and Bircham ) and the fan base are going to pay for it.
From the Holloways Mouth on 07:01 - Aug 23 with 6983 viewsRs_Holy

From the Holloways Mouth on 04:44 - Aug 23 by vegasranger

Don't these managers understand the importance of a local derby? A cup run? Let's forget the money the club could earn. The club is focusing on the league. Again. Let's not give the fans hope and dreams of a cup run. It's all about the dour , cr@ppy level of football in the Championship. The owners have made huge mistakes ( and they still are employing Holloway and Bircham ) and the fan base are going to pay for it.

I hear what you're saying mate and the QPR cup thing is very frustrating but I don't think it would be right to get rid of Ollie based on last night.
If you look at the players Ollie has signed they are for the most part way better than those in the squad when he arrived. This has been done on lower budget than previous managers. One exception is Baptiste but I get the impression he will be a bench player at best.
What we had last night was the leftovers from the previous regime and a few players who have come through the youth set up.
As others have mentioned if we can get a point on Saturday most will accept the shit we watched (for large sections of the game) last night.
The club now has to tread on egg shells with regard to FFP so we won't be spending much. I think you will see 1 or 2 players at most coming in every window so it will take time to relieve ourselves of the dross. Until the squad is made up of mostly players like Freeman and Scowen we will continue to watch poor players in the cup competitions. I'm back in the "not doing cup games" camp again but will accept it if we see the continued improvement in the league.
From the Holloways Mouth on 07:04 - Aug 23 with 6965 viewsLblock

I really hope this isn't Ollies "Newcastle moment"

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

From the Holloways Mouth on 07:11 - Aug 23 with 6932 viewsRs_Holy

From the Holloways Mouth on 07:04 - Aug 23 by Lblock

if Scowen, Freeman and Loungo are fit on Saturday we should be competitive.
From the Holloways Mouth on 07:23 - Aug 23 with 6888 viewsdaveB

From the Holloways Mouth on 07:04 - Aug 23 by Lblock

I was thinking the same last night, it's hard to recover from a good hiding at home no matter what the circumstances are
From the Holloways Mouth on 07:53 - Aug 23 with 6771 viewsDejR_vu

From the Holloways Mouth on 01:53 - Aug 23 by SonofNorfolt

What Olly is saying is this,
' WE HAD WRITTEN THE GAME OF FROM THE START'

If we get any points at Cardiff, no one will remember this.

Not sure I agree. Given it was Brentford, think people will remember this result far longer than anything we get at Cardiff (unless we absolutely anhialate them which I would suggest is very unlikely). Just because it's in the cup doesn't excuse such a w@nky performance from the team and the manager.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Login to get fewer ads

From the Holloways Mouth on 08:00 - Aug 23 with 6721 viewsDejR_vu

We didn't just lose. We were three down inside 32 minutes, at home, in a London derby. They bummed us. Never okay.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

From the Holloways Mouth on 08:07 - Aug 23 with 6683 viewspeejaybee

The only people to blame for that performance was the chosen team.FACT

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

From the Holloways Mouth on 08:12 - Aug 23 with 6662 viewsdaveB

From the Holloways Mouth on 08:07 - Aug 23 by peejaybee

Holloway has to take a lot of the blame, playing so many fringe players in a 4-4-2 was a recipe for disaster, the players didn't give up and did quite well second half but it was a very poor from Holloway and hung a few of them out to dry
From the Holloways Mouth on 08:18 - Aug 23 with 6632 viewstimcocking

From the Holloways Mouth on 08:07 - Aug 23 by peejaybee

I find it very interesting to see you state as FACT that the person that picks the team bears zero responsibility for the outcome...
From the Holloways Mouth on 08:19 - Aug 23 with 6625 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I will never agree with squad rotation and playing reserves in the cup, but let's put that aside for the moment.

The problem with last night was that a load of the team that played weren't either (a) match fit or (b) used to playing with their team mates in that formation.

When either of the above seems clear when you write down your team, I would have thought the wisest thing is to prioritise fitness and familiarity even if it means sacrificing your original idea of playing the reserves.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

From the Holloways Mouth on 08:23 - Aug 23 with 6600 viewsBrianMcCarthy

It's a shame we can't copy and paste from the new site, but Holloway's comments are fair enough, I think. Maybe slightly rose-tinted but it's his job to be more positive than the supporters. It's just that I don't agree with the idea of playing the reserves. If you do, then I think his comments are rational and balanced. And he is right about the good start in the league.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

From the Holloways Mouth on 08:27 - Aug 23 with 6587 viewsheadhoops

From the Holloways Mouth on 08:12 - Aug 23 by daveB

Holloway has to take a lot of the blame, playing so many fringe players in a 4-4-2 was a recipe for disaster, the players didn't give up and did quite well second half but it was a very poor from Holloway and hung a few of them out to dry

Far too many changes from Holloway to give us any fluidity and agree we had no shape or formation whatsoever. Of the back four only Furlong came out with any credit and the midfield until the introduction of Freeman was shambolic - does the little mermaid do forward passes?

Front 2-3 were lightweight. As soon as the team was announced you knew the writing was on the wall. Brentford were also way more adept at the dark arts. Shirt pulling, going over softly, something Manning should have done when clearly fouled directly leading to their first goal. Pleased with the overall effort but momentum is a big thing and Holloway has sacrificed this in a local cup tie against a league competitor. A win last night and the confidence grows. Instead we have as Bluce so eloquently puts it - been bummed in the gob.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

From the Holloways Mouth on 08:55 - Aug 23 with 6484 viewsRoller

From the Holloways Mouth on 08:12 - Aug 23 by daveB

4-4-2 Dave? I saw that as a 3-5-2 with Furlong on the right of the back 3 and Robinson and Wszolek as wing backs.
The worst aspect for me was how none of the starting eleven staked a claim to be in Saturday's team, and only Chair came out of the match with any real credit.
From the Holloways Mouth on 09:13 - Aug 23 with 6413 viewsbosh67

If the club's point was we are writing the game off why did they charge fans to attend?

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

From the Holloways Mouth on 09:20 - Aug 23 with 6378 viewsEsox_Lucius

Chair who didn't have a significant touch of the ball for nearly 30 minutes in the first half? He definitely improved in the second half but was knocked off the ball far too easily IMO. I thought Sylla had a very good 90 minutes in trying circumstances. I thought the team showed effort but lacked fluidity, natural in a team that has never played together. I doubt that team had had much work or training done together before the game and the tactical plan scribbled out in the dressing room an hour before kick off. The blame for last night lays entirely with the manager and his coaches.

The grass is always greener.

From the Holloways Mouth on 09:21 - Aug 23 with 6371 viewsHunterhoop

From the Holloways Mouth on 08:55 - Aug 23 by Roller

4-4-2 Dave? I saw that as a 3-5-2 with Furlong on the right of the back 3 and Robinson and Wszolek as wing backs.
The worst aspect for me was how none of the starting eleven staked a claim to be in Saturday's team, and only Chair came out of the match with any real credit.

I definitely saw it as a back 4, Roller.

When we had possession, Furlong and Robinson seemed to pushed with Ariel sitting deeper in front of the 2 centre halves, almost like Hall did. But, like I say that was in possession. When they had it, we looked up have a flat back 4, with the 2 centre halves miles apart, not marking, and the full backs slow to get back in position having been further up the pitch. Cue chaos. It was shambolic.

If it was meant to be 352 with Furlong in that 3, lord knows what was going on! Certainly no one on the pitch was ensuring we played with that shape! And not sure how/why Holloway didn't correct it.
From the Holloways Mouth on 09:25 - Aug 23 with 6342 viewssimmo

I must be the only one not that fussed, I thought we would lose once the draw was done, I knew it once I saw the team. We have a few players limping through already after our start and with such a lack if quality depth we need to rotate to keep key players fresh.

Brentford 'rivalry' doesn't bother me either, they seem to care far more than we do - similar to Fulham. We were always going to get knocked out, the manner of it isn't great but we've made a brilliant start after being written off and we knew these kind of beatings were gonna happen so let's take it on the chin and hope it doesn't knock the team too hard for future games.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

From the Holloways Mouth on 09:33 - Aug 23 with 6305 viewsNortholt_Rs

From the Holloways Mouth on 08:18 - Aug 23 by timcocking

I find it very interesting to see you state as FACT that the person that picks the team bears zero responsibility for the outcome...

Step forward daveB aka Ian Holloway...

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

From the Holloways Mouth on 09:34 - Aug 23 with 6297 viewsoldmeadoniansR

From the Holloways Mouth on 09:20 - Aug 23 by Esox_Lucius

Chair who didn't have a significant touch of the ball for nearly 30 minutes in the first half? He definitely improved in the second half but was knocked off the ball far too easily IMO. I thought Sylla had a very good 90 minutes in trying circumstances. I thought the team showed effort but lacked fluidity, natural in a team that has never played together. I doubt that team had had much work or training done together before the game and the tactical plan scribbled out in the dressing room an hour before kick off. The blame for last night lays entirely with the manager and his coaches.

I actually thought Chair stood out. First team starting debut. He looked composed from the start and the only player capable of maintaining possession and creating space for himself. He also has a good range of passing shown by one brilliant pass early in the second half that split the defence. I am calling it now. He is going to be a very good player for QPR.
From the Holloways Mouth on 09:35 - Aug 23 with 6287 viewsenfieldargh

I think most of what IH says rings true.

As mentioned players gaining competitive match time, nut used to one another in a competitive arena against a team who made 5 changes; changes that were on the whole new signings made from the Hogan big bucks income. There league performances have been ok without reward so for them they needed to be clinical which they were.

But we were not played off the park and competed for most of the game. Ilias Chair looks like he's ready for the first team as his game was almost faultless last night. When he did get himself into a sticky situation he successfully played himself out of it.

Our biggest issue is scoring goals, our main pattern of playing so far is using Mackie & Connor whilst our more natural scorers are Smith & Sylla.

Minuses from last night
Manning not being the aggressive little shit he was last season and his first intention wanting to go backwards this season, last season gets the ball wants to moves forward.

Caulker & Baptiste first half were poor and their continued passing to each other like table footballers with a metal rod anchoring them together along the back and builds uncertainty in the rest of the team and no one coming for the ball(Ariel/Manning ) didnt help. Terrible lack of pace, hopefully not match fit yet.

Matt Ingram always looking to roll out the ball vto either Baptiste or Caulker was sussed by Brentford positioning 3 players close by but still Ingram persisted with this(obviously under instruction)

Yenni clean through just after half time decides to play a ball between keeper and defender to Pavel(?) instead of going for goal. Score then its game on.

Calling for IH's head after this, blimey you cant have supported QPR for very long.

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

From the Holloways Mouth on 09:37 - Aug 23 with 6274 viewsHunterhoop

From the Holloways Mouth on 09:25 - Aug 23 by simmo

I must be the only one not that fussed, I thought we would lose once the draw was done, I knew it once I saw the team. We have a few players limping through already after our start and with such a lack if quality depth we need to rotate to keep key players fresh.

Brentford 'rivalry' doesn't bother me either, they seem to care far more than we do - similar to Fulham. We were always going to get knocked out, the manner of it isn't great but we've made a brilliant start after being written off and we knew these kind of beatings were gonna happen so let's take it on the chin and hope it doesn't knock the team too hard for future games.

I'm personally not that bothered either. I thought we'd lose too. But it's not the result which bothers me.

It's the manner of the defeat, which was extremely poor. And Holloway's comments disrespect the fans who went, the competition itself, and us as a club; it's the only thing we've ever won! Just say "my fault. I got it wrong. We want to progress in cup comps but I got today all wrong."

I am also still at a loss as to how bad the defence was, especially Caulker. I'm genuinely astounded. They could have had 8. It could have been 5 at half time. It was Brentford's reserves!!
From the Holloways Mouth on 09:41 - Aug 23 with 6255 viewsNortholt_Rs

From the Holloways Mouth on 09:37 - Aug 23 by Hunterhoop

I'm personally not that bothered either. I thought we'd lose too. But it's not the result which bothers me.

It's the manner of the defeat, which was extremely poor. And Holloway's comments disrespect the fans who went, the competition itself, and us as a club; it's the only thing we've ever won! Just say "my fault. I got it wrong. We want to progress in cup comps but I got today all wrong."

I am also still at a loss as to how bad the defence was, especially Caulker. I'm genuinely astounded. They could have had 8. It could have been 5 at half time. It was Brentford's reserves!!

Er.....because Caulker is a s h I t player and a s h I t t I e r human being perhaps? Sooner we can offload this complete c u n t the better. Offload ha! Who'd take that on? Apart from us of course...

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024