Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RIP Cassini 13:48 - Sep 15 with 1510 viewsisawqpratwcity

Some amazing pix from the spacecraft's mission.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/gallery/2017/aug/14/spectacular-saturn-cassi
[Post edited 15 Sep 2017 13:48]

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

RIP Cassini on 14:07 - Sep 15 with 1468 viewssimmo

Some of those are incredible. Love stuff like that.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

RIP Cassini on 14:21 - Sep 15 with 1437 viewspaulparker

Am I the only one who looked at the title of the thread and thought a winger from the Italian 82 world cup side had died ?

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

RIP Cassini on 15:53 - Sep 15 with 1381 viewsfrancisbowles

RIP Cassini on 14:21 - Sep 15 by paulparker

Am I the only one who looked at the title of the thread and thought a winger from the Italian 82 world cup side had died ?

Yes.
RIP Cassini on 19:42 - Sep 15 with 1294 viewsCaptainPugwash

You're becalmed just south of the Arctic circle,and the rigging shines with jewelled frost,the planks creak with a protesting sleepiness.The twinkling stars and steady planets come to greet you and shake your icy hand and ask how are you old friend you have left it far too long.They talk to you of starseeds and comet hair and the raptures of deep space and you reply with the voice of a lonely dugong or a lost whale.And as the wind freshens and billows the sails it feels like the stars playfully ruffle your hair in farewell and fall to the ocean in line astern.
RIP Cassini on 22:15 - Sep 15 with 1215 viewsisawqpratwcity

RIP Cassini on 19:42 - Sep 15 by CaptainPugwash

You're becalmed just south of the Arctic circle,and the rigging shines with jewelled frost,the planks creak with a protesting sleepiness.The twinkling stars and steady planets come to greet you and shake your icy hand and ask how are you old friend you have left it far too long.They talk to you of starseeds and comet hair and the raptures of deep space and you reply with the voice of a lonely dugong or a lost whale.And as the wind freshens and billows the sails it feels like the stars playfully ruffle your hair in farewell and fall to the ocean in line astern.

Very nice.

RIP Cassini on 22:17 - Sep 15 with 1209 viewsbosh67

Can it play centre back?

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

RIP Cassini on 23:42 - Sep 15 with 1170 viewsBoston

RIP Cassini on 19:42 - Sep 15 by CaptainPugwash

They used to be three for a quid when I was a kid.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

RIP Cassini on 23:47 - Sep 15 with 1166 viewsBoston

...and, I'm watching a show with a number of excitable astrophysicists (jaysus, I spelled that right on my first attempt!), beautiful pics, lovely story. Apparently Big Tone and the Board still have five billion years to relocate from Loftus Rd before it's all over.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Login to get fewer ads

RIP Cassini on 11:33 - Sep 16 with 1071 viewsade_qpr

Love the Saturn pics 7/5/2004 and 17/10/2012

If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

RIP Cassini on 12:38 - Sep 16 with 1052 viewsloftus77

Amazing pics and an amazing story...but why crash this wonderful pioneering craft into Saturn at the end? Seems a bit over the top.

Couldn't they have used the last bit of fuel to allow it to float serenely through deep space for evermore, as per Voyager?? I'm not a scientist, I guess...
RIP Cassini on 12:48 - Sep 16 with 1043 viewsisawqpratwcity

RIP Cassini on 12:38 - Sep 16 by loftus77

Amazing pics and an amazing story...but why crash this wonderful pioneering craft into Saturn at the end? Seems a bit over the top.

Couldn't they have used the last bit of fuel to allow it to float serenely through deep space for evermore, as per Voyager?? I'm not a scientist, I guess...

It didn't have the fuel to escape Saturn's gravity and Encedalus had shown that there is the possibility of water-based life within that system. Fair enough to avoid contamination.

Edit: The thought of Voyagers I and II serenely passing though space is delightful. I saw a prog about Voyagers talking to the people who did the language greetings on the gold disc, asking them about how they felt that their voices could live for perhaps a billion years or more...
[Post edited 16 Sep 2017 12:59]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024