Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Stadium & Statues 12:28 - May 3 with 1846 viewsfinnranger

With slight boredom during the lockdown kicking in, coupled with how much I'm missing Saturday afternoons in W12, it got me thinking about possibilities with a new stadium (if that day ever comes) and what we as fans would want to see.
Obviously try and avoid the route of Arsenal and West Ham and maybe take some inspiration from Spurs and Brentford (although I think Lionel Road looks a bit underwhelming but love the idea of a microbrewery that Spurs have adopted.)

Clearly the site at Linford Christie is our last viable option to stay in the borough but it worries me about a proposed capacity of 30,000, we'd never fill that even if we made a return to the top flight. Make it 25k max, keep the stands close to the pitch and I think we'd be onto a winner.

I've also been a bit envious of other clubs who have statues of former players and managers outside stadiums, I'm surprised it's something we've never considered and hope we put this right in the future. Arsenal already have four statues outside the Emirates, which might seem like overkill but who would you like to see immortalized in bronze for us? I've opted for these three...

Classic Stan Bowles dribbling with ball at feet
Mike Keen lifting the League Cup above his head
Neil Warnock, thumbs up and holding the Championship trophy

[Post edited 3 May 2020 12:35]
New Stadium & Statues on 12:29 - May 3 with 1836 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Jamie Pollock for me.
New Stadium & Statues on 12:33 - May 3 with 1823 viewsslmrstid

To be honest I think the only person in QPR history worthy of a statue, for length of service and things won, would be Alec Stock.

Just my opinion mind!
New Stadium & Statues on 12:40 - May 3 with 1799 viewsloftboy

Bowles, Macca, Jim Gregory.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

New Stadium & Statues on 12:50 - May 3 with 1776 viewsBrianMcCarthy

The Stan Bowles Stadium (The Stanley Bowl!)

Statue of Stan.
Stands named after Daphne, Stock, Macca and AN Other.
Model it on LR (including the Michael Meaker run-off area behind the goals).

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

New Stadium & Statues on 12:52 - May 3 with 1777 viewsLowerloftLad

Holloway has to get a mention for the all the hard work he did to get us back into the championship

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

New Stadium & Statues on 12:53 - May 3 with 1770 viewsBoston

Don’t we already have a large statue of an ostrich with its head in the sand beside White City Station?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

New Stadium & Statues on 13:01 - May 3 with 1746 viewsBoston

New Stadium & Statues on 12:33 - May 3 by slmrstid

To be honest I think the only person in QPR history worthy of a statue, for length of service and things won, would be Alec Stock.

Just my opinion mind!

I’d actually prefer his name to be associated with the stadium...The Stocks

New Stadium & Statues on 14:43 - May 3 with 1690 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The problem with naming stands and making statues, is you never know who is going to uncovered as a nonce in 30 years time.
Login to get fewer ads

New Stadium & Statues on 15:14 - May 3 with 1662 viewsBoston

New Stadium & Statues on 14:43 - May 3 by BazzaInTheLoft

The problem with naming stands and making statues, is you never know who is going to uncovered as a nonce in 30 years time.

...over to you Konk.

New Stadium & Statues on 17:13 - May 3 with 1623 viewsqpr_1968

New Stadium & Statues on 13:01 - May 3 by Boston

I’d actually prefer his name to be associated with the stadium...The Stocks

go one step further and build some stocks, to put the likes of hughes and rednapp in them

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

New Stadium & Statues on 17:22 - May 3 with 1609 viewsloftboy

New Stadium & Statues on 17:13 - May 3 by qpr_1968

go one step further and build some stocks, to put the likes of hughes and rednapp in them

That’s given me an idea, a statue of Tony Fernandes bent over with his trousers round his ankles and Mark Hughes standing right behind him, a permanent reminder on how to never run the club in the future!!

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

New Stadium & Statues on 20:32 - May 3 with 1546 viewsCiderwithRsie

Thinking about this.

I'd actually go for some of the lesser known but crucial)figures from our past, people we'd all know about but visiting fans and media types know nothing of through sheer ignorance.

So, no prob with Stan, Mike Keen etc but top of my list would probably be Gordon Jago. How about Evelyn Lyntott? George Goddard? I'm afraid Alan McDonald is not a household name outside QPR but he won more caps than any other R which is good enough reason for a statue anyway but the bigger reason would be that he was ours and just ours.

Dave Clement and Mick Leach would also be nice gestures.
New Stadium & Statues on 20:39 - May 3 with 1540 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

New Stadium & Statues on 20:32 - May 3 by CiderwithRsie

Thinking about this.

I'd actually go for some of the lesser known but crucial)figures from our past, people we'd all know about but visiting fans and media types know nothing of through sheer ignorance.

So, no prob with Stan, Mike Keen etc but top of my list would probably be Gordon Jago. How about Evelyn Lyntott? George Goddard? I'm afraid Alan McDonald is not a household name outside QPR but he won more caps than any other R which is good enough reason for a statue anyway but the bigger reason would be that he was ours and just ours.

Dave Clement and Mick Leach would also be nice gestures.

Who were the actual signatories to the merger of St Judes and Christchurch FC? A statue commemorating that occasion would be worthwhile.
[Post edited 3 May 2020 20:39]
New Stadium & Statues on 20:40 - May 3 with 1536 viewsCiderwithRsie

New Stadium & Statues on 20:39 - May 3 by BazzaInTheLoft

Who were the actual signatories to the merger of St Judes and Christchurch FC? A statue commemorating that occasion would be worthwhile.
[Post edited 3 May 2020 20:39]

God knows, but that's the sort of thing I had in mind.
New Stadium & Statues on 21:50 - May 3 with 1509 viewsCiderwithRsie

Afterthought: If there is a statue of Alan McDonald, can he be nobly and heroically looking down on the prone form of either Vinnie Jones or Mark Hughes? Preferably both?
New Stadium & Statues on 22:09 - May 3 with 1494 viewsenfieldargh

we could have a 30,000 seater stadium and fill 5,000 seats with statues of ex rangers players?

Watch out for the Mark Dennis statue that knees you in the kishkas or the Danny Maddix statue that wont let you pass

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

New Stadium & Statues on 22:38 - May 3 with 1466 viewsNov77

How about a statue of a ball high above the tallest stand, in memory of some of Macca’s ‘clearances’ that sailed over the South Africa road stand and into the white city estate.

Still the only player that I can remember doing that.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

New Stadium & Statues on 22:52 - May 3 with 1457 viewsEsox_Lucius

New Stadium & Statues on 22:38 - May 3 by Nov77

How about a statue of a ball high above the tallest stand, in memory of some of Macca’s ‘clearances’ that sailed over the South Africa road stand and into the white city estate.

Still the only player that I can remember doing that.

Pair them up with Dominic Iorfa's shots on goal and we have a winner. We should definitely have a statue of Steve McClaren in commemoration of our only win at the City Ground. A feat that managers like Stock, Venables, Sexton, Jago etc. never managed.

The grass is always greener.

New Stadium & Statues on 08:32 - May 4 with 1389 viewsOrthodox_Hoop

Only two viable options spring to mind - Eddie & Richie from Bottom
New Stadium & Statues on 10:26 - May 4 with 1335 viewswgchoop

Personally don't think we should have statues we need to achieve something first (except a league cup) lol imagine the abuse we would get otherwise.
Naming things is a good idea though as all bookies in the ground could be named after Stan and The bars after Paddy Kenny.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024