Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Players refusing to play 10:06 - Aug 19 with 1779 viewscpgerber

I don't follow other clubs that closely, so was surprised to read that Sheffield Wednesday had a number of players at the end of their contracts who refused to play the last couple of games. I guess similar to Grant Hall's situation. And there will be plenty more examples, I am sure.

This really angers me. How does this work in practice? I assume early contract termination and no pay? If the clubs just agree to it and let the guys sit our their contracts while paying them, its utterly stupid and ridiculous, so I really hope someone here with more knowledge than myself can put me at ease.
Players refusing to play on 10:33 - Aug 19 with 1662 viewsdaveB

I think it was a bit of a one off situation where contracts were ending before the season ended so clubs wanted the players to carry on with no suggestion they would renew those deals and the players said why should we risk an injury and our future employment when we don't have to. In most cases they just left at the end of their contract.
Players refusing to play on 10:35 - Aug 19 with 1657 viewsdanehoop

Number of factors:

Contracts originally expired at end of June. Despite decision to extend contracts, that wouldn't be enforceable unless both parties to contracts agreed it. Given these expired towards the end of lockdown, a number of players made clear that they had no intention to extend.

Withdrawing of labour/availability. There will be clauses in contracts which cover penalties for infractions to the contract. Normally these are limited for up to two weeks salary. For the most extreme circumstances there is always a potential termination clause, but this would normally be very rare and need to be absolutely defensible in law if challenged.

For players at the end of their contracts any decision to make themselves not available would have to be seen in the above context. Probably the worst case scenario would be fine of 2 weeks wages and then contract expires. In most cases there would probably be a negotiated settlement along the lines of that's fine, but we will release you with immediate effect and cease paying you.

I don't think there was any players aside from Hall in that category for us, so not an issue, In fact it was encouraging that those on loan extended their contracts to play and players like Rangel did the same, even at the obvious personal risk it meant being at the end of their contract.

For what its worth I don't recall seeing any normally contracted players (i.e those with contracts continuing through to next season) at QPR or elsewhere refusing to play. It did seem to be an issue with a relatively small number of players at the end of their contracts who understandably didn't want to put at risk their long term career plans, for the sake of a few games, most of which were probably meaningless for clubs.

Plenty of other things to be angry about to be honest.

Never knowingly understood

Players refusing to play on 11:19 - Aug 19 with 1550 viewsrobith

They didn't refuse to play, they were no longer contracted to play and declined short term extensions
Players refusing to play on 11:27 - Aug 19 with 1516 viewsMedwayR

Players refusing to play on 11:19 - Aug 19 by robith

They didn't refuse to play, they were no longer contracted to play and declined short term extensions

Not true, their contracts expired 30th June and the season restarted before then. There were 2 or 3 rounds of games before their contracts expired which they refused to play in. Correct on the short term contract extensions mind, no way would anyone sign up for that.

Poll: Who’s better?

Players refusing to play on 11:44 - Aug 19 with 1465 viewsLazyFan

Players refusing to play on 11:27 - Aug 19 by MedwayR

Not true, their contracts expired 30th June and the season restarted before then. There were 2 or 3 rounds of games before their contracts expired which they refused to play in. Correct on the short term contract extensions mind, no way would anyone sign up for that.

Yes there were a few games they should have played. But they were honest and said they didn't want too.

What happens if you read'em the riot act and said play or else? They would just feign Covid sickness for 2 weeks. And they say they need another 2 weeks to get fit.

A new club would actually like this as it means they are less likely to get it again and more likely to be resilient should a new strain appear. No guarantees but lessons the risk.

The few that did extend did so, like Angel as they had no immediate options, unlike Hall. And looked what happened to Angel.

In the grand scheme of things it was not that important to most teams and the ones it was should have put the key players on better contracts if they were that key.

zzzzzzzzzz

Players refusing to play on 11:52 - Aug 19 with 1422 viewscpgerber

OK thanks, I feel better now :)

Some clear explanations above.
Players refusing to play on 13:15 - Aug 19 with 1308 viewsterryb

Players refusing to play on 11:27 - Aug 19 by MedwayR

Did anyone refuse to play in those games?

Certainly some players stated that they didn't want to play in them, but refusing to do so would have been a breach of contract. The club could then choose to force the player to play or possibly save their wages for that short period.

There were also some clubs that reportedly refused to play anyone whose contract expired at the end of June. Hull was one of those & I think Wednesday was another.
Players refusing to play on 13:46 - Aug 19 with 1201 viewsMedwayR

Players refusing to play on 13:15 - Aug 19 by terryb

Did anyone refuse to play in those games?

Certainly some players stated that they didn't want to play in them, but refusing to do so would have been a breach of contract. The club could then choose to force the player to play or possibly save their wages for that short period.

There were also some clubs that reportedly refused to play anyone whose contract expired at the end of June. Hull was one of those & I think Wednesday was another.

For us I don't know, possibly Hall.

For others yes, Lyle Taylor and Chris Solly at Charlton for example. I can understand why they didn't though, particularly in the case of Taylor, I think LazyFan sums it up quite well but in the case of some like Taylor he wasn't willing to risk injury putting at risk a life changing free transfer elsewhere. It's a unique situation whereby most if not all clubs understood the players view and didn't see the benefit of pushing the players to play, there's nothing to gain.

Poll: Who’s better?

Login to get fewer ads

Players refusing to play on 14:01 - Aug 19 with 1166 viewstimcocking

Every year players who wish can effectively down tools at any time without literally refusing to play. Just let it be known in training that you aren't arsed and Bob's yer uncle, no manager will pick you. Or feign injury like half of them do. Better yet, say you're suffering from depression, everybody seems to believe that nowadays.
Players refusing to play on 15:18 - Aug 19 with 1064 viewsenfieldargh

Players refusing to play on 14:01 - Aug 19 by timcocking

Every year players who wish can effectively down tools at any time without literally refusing to play. Just let it be known in training that you aren't arsed and Bob's yer uncle, no manager will pick you. Or feign injury like half of them do. Better yet, say you're suffering from depression, everybody seems to believe that nowadays.

If a player says he cant train because he didnt have a shag the night before, then clubs have got no chance

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Players refusing to play on 22:34 - Aug 19 with 854 viewsOldPedro

Wasn't the fact that Sheff Weds had players leave, part of the reason given for delaying their 12 point deduction until next season.

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024