Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
83/84 season 17:44 - Dec 8 with 1767 viewsHayesender

What a team we had back then under TV.

Just seen a picture of the final league table. Only seven points from the champions Liverpool, and the same amount of wins (22) as the winners.

I really fcking hate Alan Mullery

Poll: Shamima Beghum

83/84 season on 18:15 - Dec 8 with 1717 viewscharmr

I was thinking about this era the other day. We were a 2nd division team in about the same position we are now untill TV took over. Even beat WHU at home 3-0 and they romped the league.

My point is that even though we were in that division we had some good players and managed to find plenty more. Seems to me is that the quality players aren’t around or either not coming our way.

The first half against Bristol City reminded me of that Venables team, the domination and attacking intent.

Personally I think our team and players are not quite good enough and basically not mentally tough enough. hence our league position and no fault of Warbutons.
[Post edited 8 Dec 2020 20:10]
83/84 season on 21:21 - Dec 8 with 1612 viewsJuzzie

Was my first proper full season (went to 10 games the season before and all but 5 in 83/84) and thought it would be like that forever.

83/84 season on 21:50 - Dec 8 with 1567 viewsSt_Pollock

Was an amazing side and don't believe anyone who says we did so well because of the Omiturf pitch: we had the equal most away wins in the division that season.

More than deserved our European spot and with a few additions could have challenged for the title within a season or two.

Mullery wasn't a risk appointment - his record up to that point though not amazing suggested that he could do well for us - but he was never going to be accepted by the fans or players after TV left and we needed someone who would have everyone's respect immediately.

I've have never understood why we didn't ask a man who knew the club, was respected by most and had just shown that he had something about him: George Graham... History could have been very different.
83/84 season on 22:07 - Dec 8 with 1540 viewsDWQPR

Venables knew how to organise a defence as well. Venables’ team always played a high line, opposition fans used to moan that we just bored the opposition by playing the offside game, but it wasn’t. The team played high up the pitch, an early day pressing game if you like and it wasn’t our fault if the opposition was daft enough to continually stray offside.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

83/84 season on 22:10 - Dec 8 with 1532 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

My only real memory of this season is the poster on my brothers bedroom wall.

"QPR champions 1982/83"

I don't know if he still has it. I must ask him.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

83/84 season on 23:44 - Dec 8 with 1475 viewsCiderwithRsie

83/84 season on 21:21 - Dec 8 by Juzzie

Was my first proper full season (went to 10 games the season before and all but 5 in 83/84) and thought it would be like that forever.

Still is, in my head.
83/84 season on 10:40 - Dec 9 with 1336 viewsCamberleyR

83/84 season on 21:50 - Dec 8 by St_Pollock

Was an amazing side and don't believe anyone who says we did so well because of the Omiturf pitch: we had the equal most away wins in the division that season.

More than deserved our European spot and with a few additions could have challenged for the title within a season or two.

Mullery wasn't a risk appointment - his record up to that point though not amazing suggested that he could do well for us - but he was never going to be accepted by the fans or players after TV left and we needed someone who would have everyone's respect immediately.

I've have never understood why we didn't ask a man who knew the club, was respected by most and had just shown that he had something about him: George Graham... History could have been very different.

"Mullery wasn't a risk appointment - his record up to that point though not amazing suggested that he could do well for us"

I totally disagree. He was a bloody awful appointment on every level, not sure what Jim Gregory was thinking. Yes, he had got two promotions for Brighton a few years before to get them into the first division but Brighton struggled once they were there the first season, only just avoiding relegation in 80/81, their second season by two points, staying up on the final day.

He followed this with a season at Charlton in the second division finishing 13th but conceding the second highest goals in the division and then two seasons at Palace finishing 15th and 18th. It was clearly evident that the second division at best was his level and he was totally out of his depth managing in the top flight.

There were far better, more attractive options at the time; George Graham as you suggested as an up and coming manager at Millwall, David Pleat doing great things at Luton playing good football and having them punching above their weight or a proven top flight manager like Terry Neill who was available.

We would have been seen as a pretty desirable club to manage at that point given the three seasons we had just had reaching a cup final, then second division champions and then placing fifth in the first division and 'Top London Club' ©Gerry Francis

I remain convinced that a more talented manager would, with that squad available, had us comfortably top half and challenging for Europe again. We had lost Clive Allen yes but had more than adequately replaced him with Gary Bannister. After leaving us, Mullery's only real job in English football management was another season back at Brighton in 1986/87 where he lasted seven months and succeeded in relegating them back to the third division.
[Post edited 9 Dec 2020 11:16]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

83/84 season on 12:55 - Dec 9 with 1288 viewsTheChef

83/84 season on 10:40 - Dec 9 by CamberleyR

"Mullery wasn't a risk appointment - his record up to that point though not amazing suggested that he could do well for us"

I totally disagree. He was a bloody awful appointment on every level, not sure what Jim Gregory was thinking. Yes, he had got two promotions for Brighton a few years before to get them into the first division but Brighton struggled once they were there the first season, only just avoiding relegation in 80/81, their second season by two points, staying up on the final day.

He followed this with a season at Charlton in the second division finishing 13th but conceding the second highest goals in the division and then two seasons at Palace finishing 15th and 18th. It was clearly evident that the second division at best was his level and he was totally out of his depth managing in the top flight.

There were far better, more attractive options at the time; George Graham as you suggested as an up and coming manager at Millwall, David Pleat doing great things at Luton playing good football and having them punching above their weight or a proven top flight manager like Terry Neill who was available.

We would have been seen as a pretty desirable club to manage at that point given the three seasons we had just had reaching a cup final, then second division champions and then placing fifth in the first division and 'Top London Club' ©Gerry Francis

I remain convinced that a more talented manager would, with that squad available, had us comfortably top half and challenging for Europe again. We had lost Clive Allen yes but had more than adequately replaced him with Gary Bannister. After leaving us, Mullery's only real job in English football management was another season back at Brighton in 1986/87 where he lasted seven months and succeeded in relegating them back to the third division.

Great kit too.

But yes another case of what might have been for us, same for the team we had about a decade later. Wrong choices, wrong managers, poor recruitment...

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Login to get fewer ads

83/84 season on 13:56 - Dec 9 with 1240 viewsterryb

That season was the first time I saw us win at Portman Road, so it was very special to us R's living there or in the area!

I think it was the following week that we made it an east anglian double with a 3-0 win at Carrow Road.

This also qualifies for the "happy days" thread!
83/84 season on 21:54 - Dec 9 with 1160 viewsthemodfather

with the plastic pitch qpr developed a brilliant passing game, we had good young players mixed with a few seasoned pros, we won on plastic and grass and usually won most games "easily"? also we started getting 20k regularly, for bigger games 27k, yes 27000 and the west ham cup game may have been nearer 30k, due to 1000s due to many forged tickets and many fans on the touchline, game delayed an hour? happy days indeed....forget mullery i still haven't gotten over jim smith. hey ho
83/84 season on 03:49 - Dec 10 with 1098 viewsSydneyRs

83/84 season on 10:40 - Dec 9 by CamberleyR

Agreed on Mullery also. Even at the young age I was then my heart sank when I heard he was taking over. Major chance missed not appointing someone better and we were an attractive proposition at the time.

83/84 was my second season going regularly. We well and truly mixed it with the best and I'm convinced we were a genuine chance of winning the league the following season if Venables had stayed.
83/84 season on 06:18 - Dec 10 with 1070 viewsHayesender

83/84 season on 21:54 - Dec 9 by themodfather

with the plastic pitch qpr developed a brilliant passing game, we had good young players mixed with a few seasoned pros, we won on plastic and grass and usually won most games "easily"? also we started getting 20k regularly, for bigger games 27k, yes 27000 and the west ham cup game may have been nearer 30k, due to 1000s due to many forged tickets and many fans on the touchline, game delayed an hour? happy days indeed....forget mullery i still haven't gotten over jim smith. hey ho

Our attendances used to be really strange back then. As you say, 27,000 one week, and then 10,000 the week after.

The 2-2 spurs game in 84/85, I reckon there were over 30,000 crammed in that day

Poll: Shamima Beghum

83/84 season on 07:48 - Dec 10 with 1043 viewsCamberleyR

83/84 season on 06:18 - Dec 10 by Hayesender

Our attendances used to be really strange back then. As you say, 27,000 one week, and then 10,000 the week after.

The 2-2 spurs game in 84/85, I reckon there were over 30,000 crammed in that day

"The 2-2 spurs game in 84/85, I reckon there were over 30,000 crammed in that day"

I think that was probably because of the plastic pitch we were the only game in London that day, everybody else had fallen foul to the icy weather. Probably a few neutrals as well. "Officially" (i.e Uncle Jim's declared attendance for the taxman) it was 27,404.

Our attendances were always a little like that. Sell outs for the London derbies and games against Liverpool, Man U, 16-17k for games against Southampton/Ipswich and 10-12k against the Midlands teams (except Villa who always used to bring a good few).

Our attendances ranged from 9k against Stoke (6-0) and 27k against Liverpool in 1983/84. Nine teams from the Midlands that season.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

83/84 season on 10:40 - Dec 10 with 978 viewsWalnut

83/84 season on 13:56 - Dec 9 by terryb

That season was the first time I saw us win at Portman Road, so it was very special to us R's living there or in the area!

I think it was the following week that we made it an east anglian double with a 3-0 win at Carrow Road.

This also qualifies for the "happy days" thread!

Dennis the Menace kit made it's first appearance at Ipswich. IIRC, we didn't know in advance this was our second kit? This was also the "poseur in the pink" game. Good QPR followings at both the Ipswich and Norwich games
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024