Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gerrard decides. 21:21 - Aug 3 with 2278 viewsBurnleyhoop

Cameron Archer is staying at Villa this season…..confirmed by Gerrard.
Gerrard decides. on 21:41 - Aug 3 with 2164 viewsbosh67

11 goals in 49 appearances so far. He would have fitted right in. Personally we should be looking lower leagues to develop here as we have no real money to bring in the kind of striker we all think we need. We need to act pretty quick so hopefully the scouts are out there.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Gerrard decides. on 22:22 - Aug 3 with 2032 viewseghamranger

Gerrard decides. on 21:41 - Aug 3 by bosh67

11 goals in 49 appearances so far. He would have fitted right in. Personally we should be looking lower leagues to develop here as we have no real money to bring in the kind of striker we all think we need. We need to act pretty quick so hopefully the scouts are out there.

Wells 🤦‍♂️
Gerrard decides. on 00:00 - Aug 4 with 1863 viewsdaveB

if he had gone out on loan I think he'd have gone to Boro or one of the relegated sides anyway
Gerrard decides. on 06:43 - Aug 4 with 1715 viewsstainrods_elbow

Gerrard decides. on 22:22 - Aug 3 by eghamranger

Wells 🤦‍♂️

No guarantees, of course, and he might have lost a little since he was last here, but I'd take him back on a season-long loan if the financials worked this time around. We probably need him more than he needs us now, however. Even now, though, without being spectacular, his numbers aren't too shabby for Brizzle (around 1 in 5). When did Dykes last manage a goal for us again - did someone say January? I just don't see where the goals are coming from in this team, even with Willock coming back. Chair managed a season record of 9 for us last campaign, and I'd be surprised if Field, Dozzell and Jojo hit double figures between them, while Amos has only (just) achieved that many in his entire professional career. The new players are unknown quantities at this level.

Things may change for the better if Armstrong, Richards and Roberts come in/come good in terms of our frankly dismal 'final third' showing vs Blackburn, but our striker issue is now becoming such an exasperating farce I'd add my voice to the questioning ranks of the DoF on that single issue alone right now.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Gerrard decides. on 08:10 - Aug 4 with 1559 viewsbosh67

Gerrard decides. on 06:43 - Aug 4 by stainrods_elbow

No guarantees, of course, and he might have lost a little since he was last here, but I'd take him back on a season-long loan if the financials worked this time around. We probably need him more than he needs us now, however. Even now, though, without being spectacular, his numbers aren't too shabby for Brizzle (around 1 in 5). When did Dykes last manage a goal for us again - did someone say January? I just don't see where the goals are coming from in this team, even with Willock coming back. Chair managed a season record of 9 for us last campaign, and I'd be surprised if Field, Dozzell and Jojo hit double figures between them, while Amos has only (just) achieved that many in his entire professional career. The new players are unknown quantities at this level.

Things may change for the better if Armstrong, Richards and Roberts come in/come good in terms of our frankly dismal 'final third' showing vs Blackburn, but our striker issue is now becoming such an exasperating farce I'd add my voice to the questioning ranks of the DoF on that single issue alone right now.

I think this comes down to us not being the most attractive team to send certain prospects to. People will blame Les, the board and Mick but the reality is that strikers are the premium position. We are in a Bentley Continental GT market at this level with a Lada budget.

You look at Bonne and Dykes. That is roughly £3.7m worth of strikers we have brought in between them. I don't think either of them are bad but they aren't going to score 20 goals a season. Perhaps just about between them with a fair wind. My point is that is what roughly £2m strikers look like. We don't have £2m to spend on a striker. Spend £5-6m and you start getting a player who may or may not bang goals in. Bristol City spent £5m+ on Wells at 30 where he has scored 18 goals in 95 games so far. So even £5-6m isn't a guarantee of goals. And we now think Wells is the answer. I think he's been great for us, and perhaps he could be great again. He's 32 and didn't score as many as Austin and we didn't want Austin.

That is why players like Armstrong and literally anyone we can find in lower leagues or abroad coming through has to be what we focus on. I think we have to scrub the idea of top 6 for a season or two and concentrate on bringing in players that we can coach to be assets. I thought that was the plan? When we had Goddard and Allen they were 18 and 19. Gave them great coaching and they banged in goals for fun. There must be young players out there who could do similar, even though Goddard and Allen were perhaps exceptional.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Gerrard decides. on 13:43 - Aug 4 with 1263 viewsstanistheman

I was expecting to hear that Villa would keep him if they hadn't sent him out on loan already.

Who knows, maybe the club have other options in mind, if not, we will just have to hope that Armstrong and Bonne will be the ones to score the goals.

Dykes is not the answer if the Blackburn game and the previous 2 season are anything to go by. Bonne had more movement and better touches in his 16 or so minutes (includes added time) than Dykes in 77.

Roberts may turn out to be a good goal scorer, but is really an unknown quantity as he has never really had many games as a centre forward.

I would be interested in trying to get a deal for Wells, but in truth we might end up regretting letting Austin go. He never really got to play alongside another striker on a regular basis last season (unlike his loan spell). People complained about his fitness but in truth he was never really the most mobile forward even in his 1st 2 seasons with us.
Gerrard decides. on 14:03 - Aug 4 with 1215 viewsBklynRanger

I fear we're collectively giving up on Dykes at a time when we can't afford to. Did I read about chanting that he's a c*nt coming from our own support on Saturday? What kind of charlie causes you to do that? Jesus Christ.

I thought he was a good foil for Austin for a decent part of last season but, despite his size and sporting background, doesn't seem to be the bruiser type. But he can still peform when he gets the bit between his teeth.

For whatever reason he seems to have plateaued and gone into a funk, but we've shirley got Beale in to try to polish these, eh, rough diamonds. He needs to do that sharpish, and if one or both of them are definitively not up for that we need to send Lyndon where he's happier, and use the money in as clever a way as possible, as soon as possible.
Gerrard decides. on 14:19 - Aug 4 with 1179 viewsstanistheman

Gerrard decides. on 14:03 - Aug 4 by BklynRanger

I fear we're collectively giving up on Dykes at a time when we can't afford to. Did I read about chanting that he's a c*nt coming from our own support on Saturday? What kind of charlie causes you to do that? Jesus Christ.

I thought he was a good foil for Austin for a decent part of last season but, despite his size and sporting background, doesn't seem to be the bruiser type. But he can still peform when he gets the bit between his teeth.

For whatever reason he seems to have plateaued and gone into a funk, but we've shirley got Beale in to try to polish these, eh, rough diamonds. He needs to do that sharpish, and if one or both of them are definitively not up for that we need to send Lyndon where he's happier, and use the money in as clever a way as possible, as soon as possible.

I know it appears that we are giving up on him when we need he is needed, but apart from his purple patch alongside Austin 2 seasons ago, he has been poor with very little signs that he will get better.

Tbh I don't know if he is getting the correct coaching at QPR to develop his game. Isn't Ferdinand a qualified coach who can maybe spend some time on the training ground to get the best out of Dykes? Things like movement, heading the ball for team mates and shooting. Who knows, maybe he has tried and Dykes isn't improving.

I think we would be better off trying to get a partnership going with Armstrong and Bonne during the next 3 or 4 games to see if the latter is worth holding on to or trying to offload in this window as his contract will expire next year and getting some money back could help fund another striker.
Login to get fewer ads

Gerrard decides. on 14:23 - Aug 4 with 1169 viewskensalriser

With Roberts being given the 11 shirt and Armstrong added to the squad I’m getting the feeling we won’t be adding any more strikers at least until January.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Gerrard decides. on 15:01 - Aug 4 with 1073 viewsjohnhoop

Gerrard decides. on 14:23 - Aug 4 by kensalriser

With Roberts being given the 11 shirt and Armstrong added to the squad I’m getting the feeling we won’t be adding any more strikers at least until January.

I certainly hope that isn’t the case because I don’t think Dykes and Bonne are sufficiently effective strikers at Championship level. Roberts might surprise us and get a lot of goals but although I hope he’s given a chance, I wouldn’t want to place much reliance on Armstrong at the moment.
Gerrard decides. on 15:04 - Aug 4 with 1050 viewsdaveB

we'll sign a striker, there is still 4 weeks left of the window. We'll get at least one more
Gerrard decides. on 15:05 - Aug 4 with 1040 viewsderbyhoop

Before you start questioning the DOF's culpability re limited striker options, please suggest someone that we can afford.
Somebody said we're trying to buy a Bentley Continental on a Lada budget.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Gerrard decides. on 15:11 - Aug 4 with 1021 viewstraininvain

I’d be amazed if we don’t sign at least one more striker. We’re talking about QPR here!

Can anyone remember the last time we didn’t sign a new striker in August before the transfer window shut?
Gerrard decides. on 15:15 - Aug 4 with 1003 viewssprocket

Wells at the last minute out of desperation following a catastrophic August...
Gerrard decides. on 15:17 - Aug 4 with 989 viewskensalriser

It may depend on Bonne going on loan again.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Gerrard decides. on 16:44 - Aug 4 with 868 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Personally I don't understand the clamour for Wells. He wasn't exactly prolific during his last spell with QPR and, at 32, he won't be improving any time soon. He has 1 year left on his contract at Bristol City so would likely attract a fee yet offers no resale value, a point completely at odds with QPR's new ethos. Moreover, at his age he'll be looking for that final long-term contract that will take him into his mid-30s. Above all else, he only started 7 matches last season and his overall record for Brizzle is about 1 in 5 ; that equates to about 9 goals a season which for a centre forward is pretty shabby.
Gerrard decides. on 17:00 - Aug 4 with 828 viewsSouthallRanger

Gerrard decides. on 16:44 - Aug 4 by Benny_the_Ball

Personally I don't understand the clamour for Wells. He wasn't exactly prolific during his last spell with QPR and, at 32, he won't be improving any time soon. He has 1 year left on his contract at Bristol City so would likely attract a fee yet offers no resale value, a point completely at odds with QPR's new ethos. Moreover, at his age he'll be looking for that final long-term contract that will take him into his mid-30s. Above all else, he only started 7 matches last season and his overall record for Brizzle is about 1 in 5 ; that equates to about 9 goals a season which for a centre forward is pretty shabby.

Agree about the deep Wells fans out there.

Similar to the call for Austin to be resigned. Although his loan comeback was fairly impactful, but then perm signing after revealed the flaws in that idea. Still a legend in my eyes for his first stint with us.

Just frustrated by the whole striker situation. We have a policy of buying cheap on my npokished gambles hoping to have an ok conversion rate. We did that 2 years ago, spent nearly £4m on two strikers. Here we are 2 years later. Both strikers still on our books complaining that we don’t have any decent proven strikers. Unfortunate that neither of our two gambled paid off, otherwise we would be a much happier fan base right now. Where is our next big sale to fund the next decent striker… willock, chair, dickie… possibly Armstrong in a years time? Either way, strengthening the forwards leaves us weaker elsewhere. Possibly losing dickie would be least painful as we have dunne behind him, but who knows what type of money offerels there are for dickie?
Gerrard decides. on 17:04 - Aug 4 with 811 viewssprocket

Gerrard decides. on 17:00 - Aug 4 by SouthallRanger

Agree about the deep Wells fans out there.

Similar to the call for Austin to be resigned. Although his loan comeback was fairly impactful, but then perm signing after revealed the flaws in that idea. Still a legend in my eyes for his first stint with us.

Just frustrated by the whole striker situation. We have a policy of buying cheap on my npokished gambles hoping to have an ok conversion rate. We did that 2 years ago, spent nearly £4m on two strikers. Here we are 2 years later. Both strikers still on our books complaining that we don’t have any decent proven strikers. Unfortunate that neither of our two gambled paid off, otherwise we would be a much happier fan base right now. Where is our next big sale to fund the next decent striker… willock, chair, dickie… possibly Armstrong in a years time? Either way, strengthening the forwards leaves us weaker elsewhere. Possibly losing dickie would be least painful as we have dunne behind him, but who knows what type of money offerels there are for dickie?

For me selling Dickie would be the way to go with Dunne/Masterson/Gubbins as backup. How much would we get in current market? Perhaps if Bournemouth or Fulham (who need a CB) have a dodgy start it might start a bidding war?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024