Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Goal, goals, goals 12:40 - Oct 1 with 1532 viewsE17hoop

I really can't see where they'll come from if players don't want to shoot.

We had 12 shots yesterday:
Dykes 6
Dozzell 3
1 each Paal, Chair, Clarke-Salter

We're set up wrong for home - I posted before Chair and Willock should be in the middle rotating as the 10 behind Dykes/Armstrong and with more freedom to shoot.

Look at where we lost the ball and it was pretty similar to Coventry. As was the number of touches in the opposition area, possession, etc. Where did we dominate at home? We didn't. Setting up with 5 at the back at home does us no favours. I get why it works away but at home is too defensive and not aggressive enough.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Championship Playoffs - who's going up?

Goal, goals, goals on 13:35 - Oct 1 with 1431 viewsMatch82

Agree partially. Clearly not working as a strategy at home overall, but I think it would be a rush to play 3/5 at the back half the time and 4 at the back the other half. Back line at least I feel like we need to be consistent so they can grow as a unit and be very clear what each others roles are. In front of that I completely agree.
Goal, goals, goals on 20:09 - Oct 1 with 1278 viewsdigswellhoop

bring on ange ball get ainsworth to watch spurs we might not have the players to go full on but for gods sake show some passion
Goal, goals, goals on 21:05 - Oct 1 with 1201 viewsStanisgod

Goal, goals, goals on 20:09 - Oct 1 by digswellhoop

bring on ange ball get ainsworth to watch spurs we might not have the players to go full on but for gods sake show some passion

Couldnt see any lack of passion yesterday, was you there?

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Goal, goals, goals on 21:17 - Oct 1 with 1179 viewsstainrods_elbow

Goal, goals, goals on 21:05 - Oct 1 by Stanisgod

Couldnt see any lack of passion yesterday, was you there?

I don't care what Clive or anyone says: SIGN. A. F*CKIN'. STRIKER!

I mean, to (mis)quote Bono Vox, how friggin' long must we sing this song?

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Goal, goals, goals on 21:23 - Oct 1 with 1156 viewsstainrods_elbow

35 has been floated as our probable goal total for the season - and the inevitable drop. So far, we have a dismal 8 from 9 games, yielding 40 for the season at current rates of lethality. I'd envisage, possibly optimistically:

Dykes 11
Chair 7
Armstrong 6 . . .
Smyth 3
Others 10

Grand Total: 37

Gulp!
[Post edited 1 Oct 2023 21:24]

Goal, goals, goals on 21:29 - Oct 1 with 1142 viewsstainrods_elbow

Our last 4 games on-target efforts: 3, 4, 1, 3, aka dismal!

Are the players shot-shy or is our coaching dream team just a bit dopey? (Perhaps Mr Cook can take to social media again to tell me/us that I don't understand football.)

Goal, goals, goals on 22:17 - Oct 1 with 1093 viewsBenny_the_Ball

This isn't a new problem. Last season QPR scored 44 goals. We'll do well to reach that tally again.
Goal, goals, goals on 09:09 - Oct 2 with 976 viewsBluce_Ree

People like Dykes. Dykes barely scores.

Now fair enough he does all the other stuff that we need a big guy to do up front but he's not going to score 20+ in a season and that's in this shitty league.

That is what it is. But it means he's in the team in the place of someone who theoretically might be able to score goals (fk knows who that might be) and we know he's not going to do it. So we're not going to score. And strikers need game time and confidence, but no-one is getting that if we put in Mr Reliable 1 in 4 at best in that position. It's what I call the Iain Dowie Paradox.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Login to get fewer ads

Goal, goals, goals on 09:13 - Oct 2 with 968 viewsbaz_qpr

Goal, goals, goals on 09:09 - Oct 2 by Bluce_Ree

People like Dykes. Dykes barely scores.

Now fair enough he does all the other stuff that we need a big guy to do up front but he's not going to score 20+ in a season and that's in this shitty league.

That is what it is. But it means he's in the team in the place of someone who theoretically might be able to score goals (fk knows who that might be) and we know he's not going to do it. So we're not going to score. And strikers need game time and confidence, but no-one is getting that if we put in Mr Reliable 1 in 4 at best in that position. It's what I call the Iain Dowie Paradox.

He's not even that great at holding the ball up.

We could sign 10 strikers wont make a difference the problem is creating them not missing them and that is tactical / coaching.
Goal, goals, goals on 09:44 - Oct 2 with 943 viewsFDC

Seems like the issue isn't that we're creating chances and not putting them away, rather we're just failing to create chances in the first place. Which would suggest a new striker wouldn't necessarily fare any better. Regardless, we're not about to go out and get a proven goal scorer in January anyway given the financial restraints.

With Chair, Smyth, Paal, and potentially Cannon, in the side we should be able to create more going forward, seems to me the issue is tactical. Potentially the imperative of tightening up the defense has meant we don't have the shape going forward. We need Gaz and Dobbo to find a way to create more chances with what we have , which might mean setting up with less of a shield across the back line.
Goal, goals, goals on 13:20 - Oct 2 with 873 viewsthemodfather

clarke=harris at posh always scores and does so more than dykes and armstrong together. worth a gamble or loan? goals win games, scoring none doesn't!
Goal, goals, goals on 13:39 - Oct 2 with 832 viewsMcDuffin

I can't agree more and I think someone needed to say it out loud!
Goal, goals, goals on 16:46 - Oct 2 with 742 viewsLazyFan

So the problem, as I see it, is twofold.

Dykes alone up front gets isolated. This is what happened against Cov. Many times Chair, Willock, Paal, and Smyth had the ball, but only Dykes was in the box, marked by two Cov players. Hence, it gets endlessly recycled until one of them can get in the box to support, by which time Cov had even more players back.

In addition, as we had three wingers and a wing-back (4 on the wing, not counting Kakay going down that side as well), the central midfield was down to the two of Field and Dozzell. Cov had 3 in the middle, so our midfield gets passed around in the middle, which is what they did so well in the 2nd half. The Cov midfield could receive the ball and beat the press, turn around and play it to another midfielder, doing all these 1-2's to then just play it between the defenders for the attacker to run onto. Which is exactly what they did, it was too easy.

Dykes clearly cannot do it on his own, despite trying really hard to do so. He needs another one up with him. When Armstrong came on we saw how that made a difference. As Armstrong should have had a penalty and created our only goal.

This means you have to drop one of the Wingers, in this case Willock, which is what for sure will happen this Wed.

But this does not solve the middle problem. Colback will hopefully be back, which means you need to drop Dozzell. I think long term Gaz knows this problem and Cannon has been told he will play RB, which means we go to flat back 4 as Kakay is dropped and Smyth moves up to RW and Chair moves to the middle.

This gives us a formation of 4-3-3.

Asmir

Cannon
Dunne
Cook/JCS
Paal

Field
Colback
Chair

Smyth
Dykes
Armstrong

Chair will sit in front of Colback and Field who will drop back. Chair will then release it to the channels for Smyth or Armstrong to use their pace. Or work worth with them down the wings. This works as there is one thing that Chair does that many players of his ilk do not and that is run back into position and do it quickly and do it all day long. Then we shall have 3 in the middle when they have the ball and, hopefully won't get passed through.

This gives us also a stronger bench as well, useful for the long campaign. We only need a loan forward. I expect we shall do that business in Jan, especially as we did no spend it on Martins and Willock will be gone by then.

For defence, it's a risk, as will Cannon and Paal cope. The only way to find out is to try it. I did wonder why Cannon signed for us, now I have worked it out. Once he's match-fit, after a few games I expect a formation change.

zzzzzzzzzz

Goal, goals, goals on 17:12 - Oct 2 with 702 viewsNorthantsHoop

Goal, goals, goals on 16:46 - Oct 2 by LazyFan

So the problem, as I see it, is twofold.

Dykes alone up front gets isolated. This is what happened against Cov. Many times Chair, Willock, Paal, and Smyth had the ball, but only Dykes was in the box, marked by two Cov players. Hence, it gets endlessly recycled until one of them can get in the box to support, by which time Cov had even more players back.

In addition, as we had three wingers and a wing-back (4 on the wing, not counting Kakay going down that side as well), the central midfield was down to the two of Field and Dozzell. Cov had 3 in the middle, so our midfield gets passed around in the middle, which is what they did so well in the 2nd half. The Cov midfield could receive the ball and beat the press, turn around and play it to another midfielder, doing all these 1-2's to then just play it between the defenders for the attacker to run onto. Which is exactly what they did, it was too easy.

Dykes clearly cannot do it on his own, despite trying really hard to do so. He needs another one up with him. When Armstrong came on we saw how that made a difference. As Armstrong should have had a penalty and created our only goal.

This means you have to drop one of the Wingers, in this case Willock, which is what for sure will happen this Wed.

But this does not solve the middle problem. Colback will hopefully be back, which means you need to drop Dozzell. I think long term Gaz knows this problem and Cannon has been told he will play RB, which means we go to flat back 4 as Kakay is dropped and Smyth moves up to RW and Chair moves to the middle.

This gives us a formation of 4-3-3.

Asmir

Cannon
Dunne
Cook/JCS
Paal

Field
Colback
Chair

Smyth
Dykes
Armstrong

Chair will sit in front of Colback and Field who will drop back. Chair will then release it to the channels for Smyth or Armstrong to use their pace. Or work worth with them down the wings. This works as there is one thing that Chair does that many players of his ilk do not and that is run back into position and do it quickly and do it all day long. Then we shall have 3 in the middle when they have the ball and, hopefully won't get passed through.

This gives us also a stronger bench as well, useful for the long campaign. We only need a loan forward. I expect we shall do that business in Jan, especially as we did no spend it on Martins and Willock will be gone by then.

For defence, it's a risk, as will Cannon and Paal cope. The only way to find out is to try it. I did wonder why Cannon signed for us, now I have worked it out. Once he's match-fit, after a few games I expect a formation change.

Great post, exactly as I see it, problem lies in a lack of joining up central midfield to attack, the gaps were palpable to see on Saturday and it has been this way all season at home. We have not really seen Colback in central midfield as he has only done a few late minutes against Ipswich and 20 mins against Sunderland and then sent off. Ainsworth and Dobson need to give Chair a free role to link midfield with attack rather than dumping him wide left. The only trouble is Chair must be encouraged to release the ball earlier if options are available. Whether Armstrong and Dykes can finish is still a bit debatable but if you don't give them chances we'll never know.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024