Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
When in Rome or more precisely Spain 20:38 - Sep 25 with 1125 viewsloftboy

Got to laugh, been perusing some holiday brochures, if I see a place I like I go straight on to trip advisor and read the reviews, one lady today was moaning that in a hotel in benidorm the waiter had the temerity to speak Spanish and not English and that there wasn't any English channels on the TV, now excuse me for being thick but if the boot was on the other foot then I'm pretty sure the majority of English waiters don't speak Spanish and having checked on my sky there's no Spanish channels either, no wonder we have got such a bad name abroad.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2014 20:41]

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

When in Rome or more precisely Spain on 22:05 - Sep 25 with 1026 viewsthame_hoops

Tripadviser is brilliant.
I was reading some reviews on the savoy and someone was moaning that they paid for a butler and he didn't unpack their case correctly
When in Rome or more precisely Spain on 22:09 - Sep 25 with 1021 viewsMatch82

When in Rome or more precisely Spain on 22:05 - Sep 25 by thame_hoops

I was reading some reviews on the savoy and someone was moaning that they paid for a butler and he didn't unpack their case correctly

I'm presuming that this person also has someone to type out their tripadvisor reviews for them, and shout "boo shucks" at the players on the pitch if they happen to attend a football game (presumably from the prawn sandwich boxes)
When in Rome or more precisely Spain on 22:14 - Sep 25 with 1009 viewsMonahoop

Whenever Americans complain about hotels on Tripadvisor, it's always about the shower heads. Nothing else matters, but the bloody shower head wasn't right.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

When in Rome or more precisely Spain on 22:36 - Sep 25 with 973 viewsFredManRave

Thinly veiled as I'll soon be off on my Spanish holiday, no doubt 5 star hotel, all inclusive, whilst speaking fluent spanish to all and sundry.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

When in Rome or more precisely Spain on 23:20 - Sep 25 with 927 viewsCiderwithRsie

When in Rome or more precisely Spain on 22:09 - Sep 25 by Match82

I'm presuming that this person also has someone to type out their tripadvisor reviews for them, and shout "boo shucks" at the players on the pitch if they happen to attend a football game (presumably from the prawn sandwich boxes)

My butler is typing this for me. He also drives down the Fulham Road and shouts "John Terry's a c*nt!" out of the window when I'm otherwise engaged.
When in Rome or more precisely Spain on 01:04 - Sep 26 with 888 viewsQPRMUSO

When in Rome or more precisely Spain on 23:20 - Sep 25 by CiderwithRsie

My butler is typing this for me. He also drives down the Fulham Road and shouts "John Terry's a c*nt!" out of the window when I'm otherwise engaged.

This made me laugh, thanks Cider.
When in Rome or more precisely Spain on 01:47 - Sep 26 with 876 viewsSonofNorfolt

When in Rome or more precisely Spain on 23:20 - Sep 25 by CiderwithRsie

Obviously in Russian, you should add.
When in Rome or more precisely Spain on 09:08 - Sep 26 with 758 viewssmegma

When in Rome or more precisely Spain on 22:05 - Sep 25 by thame_hoops

Was it Konk?

I once read a hotel review where someone was complaining about French teenagers coming home at 3am and making a lot of noise. They actually blamed the hotel staff !!
Login to get fewer ads

When in Rome or more precisely Spain on 10:10 - Sep 26 with 709 viewseastside_r

When in Rome or more precisely Spain on 22:14 - Sep 25 by Monahoop

Whenever Americans complain about hotels on Tripadvisor, it's always about the shower heads. Nothing else matters, but the bloody shower head wasn't right.

I usually ignore any American reviews on Tripadvisor. Their expectation of service levels is unlike anyone else in the world. Unless it’s the very in-your-face, ‘have a nice day’ service they are used to, they think they are being badly treated.

Also disregard any reviewer that feels it necessary to first-name check any member of staff at a hotel / restaurant. They’re not your mates you sad bastards.
When in Rome or more precisely Spain on 10:41 - Sep 26 with 677 viewsKonk

Smegma: We always have our Butler travel with us — I can’t imagine anything worse than turning-up at some foreign hotel and finding the staff below par. Awful.

Tripadvisor: I find it really helpful as a starting point for booking and then do my research off the back of that: Americans are obviously used to a bit more space, so also seem unhappy with room sizes in Europe as well as mardy staff at reception; neither of which normally bother me much. My favourite was a 1/10 after a glowing review owing to the lack of tea making facilities in the room — funnily enough, that person was English.

Language-wise: I was in Verona — women ordered a ham sandwich, bloke brought over Prosciutto sandwich and the women started screaming at him, “This isn’t ham!”, “This is ham”, went on for ages with her husband pitching in, I pointed out to her that it was Italian ham, and she said, “Well it should say that on the bloody menu then!”. Proper indignation.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

When in Rome or more precisely Spain on 11:08 - Sep 26 with 658 viewsBrianMcCarthy

When in Rome or more precisely Spain on 10:41 - Sep 26 by Konk

Smegma: We always have our Butler travel with us — I can’t imagine anything worse than turning-up at some foreign hotel and finding the staff below par. Awful.

Tripadvisor: I find it really helpful as a starting point for booking and then do my research off the back of that: Americans are obviously used to a bit more space, so also seem unhappy with room sizes in Europe as well as mardy staff at reception; neither of which normally bother me much. My favourite was a 1/10 after a glowing review owing to the lack of tea making facilities in the room — funnily enough, that person was English.

Language-wise: I was in Verona — women ordered a ham sandwich, bloke brought over Prosciutto sandwich and the women started screaming at him, “This isn’t ham!”, “This is ham”, went on for ages with her husband pitching in, I pointed out to her that it was Italian ham, and she said, “Well it should say that on the bloody menu then!”. Proper indignation.

A few years back my brother and his wife went on their first foreign holiday, off to Spain with them. On their first night Maureen announced they were going for a nice meal, "see what the local cuisine is like, Paul". Paul, who hates eating out, nodded and off they went.

At the restaurant, Paul unashamedly ordered steak and chips. Maureen started chiding him about his lack of adventure. Paul nodded, but didn't flinch. Maurs gets into a huge conversation in pidgin Spanish with the waiter, and proudly announces to Paul that she's ordered a local speciality of chorizo, papas and something else. "See, Pauly, it's not difficult!"

It lands - eggs, bacon and chips!

Paul has told that story to most of Ireland, I would say!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

When in Rome or more precisely Spain on 11:21 - Sep 26 with 650 viewswestberksr

took my Dad to milan for his 60th to see a match; all he wanted to eat (as ever) was steak and chips.

having tried a few lovely looking restaurants that were deemed 'too poncy' his stomach started to get the better of him, we tried the next food establishment that was clearly only a coffee & cake kinda place and my Dad proceeded to try and get his point across by shouting 'steak & chips' whilst only about 6 inches from the waiters face so loudly that the waiter nearly fell over backwards. obviously jonny foreigner will eventually understand the Queens English if it's delivered with suitable volume, but apparently not this particular lower order person!

never been so embarrassed whilst simultaneously nearly pissing myself in all my life. Found an American diner and ate there 5 times in 3 days to prevent any repeat! did my due dilligence before taking him to Barcelona and had 3 english/american places lined up.
When in Rome or more precisely Spain on 11:24 - Sep 26 with 641 viewsKonk

When in Rome or more precisely Spain on 11:08 - Sep 26 by BrianMcCarthy

A few years back my brother and his wife went on their first foreign holiday, off to Spain with them. On their first night Maureen announced they were going for a nice meal, "see what the local cuisine is like, Paul". Paul, who hates eating out, nodded and off they went.

At the restaurant, Paul unashamedly ordered steak and chips. Maureen started chiding him about his lack of adventure. Paul nodded, but didn't flinch. Maurs gets into a huge conversation in pidgin Spanish with the waiter, and proudly announces to Paul that she's ordered a local speciality of chorizo, papas and something else. "See, Pauly, it's not difficult!"

It lands - eggs, bacon and chips!

Paul has told that story to most of Ireland, I would say!

Ha-ha - that's brilliant. I used to stress about that sort of thing, but now I'm a bit fu ck-it, if I fancy a full English in an Irish pub, I'm gonna go for it. Doesn't happen often, but it's nice to have it there for an emergency. I also have no problem at all with eating my tea in an empty restaurant at 7pm, whereas I used to try and hold on until four in the morning, or whenever it is that your Southern Europeans like to eat. Turned-up at a brilliant neighbourhood restaurant in Athens for 12:00 on a Sunday (official opening time) and were there before all the staff - no other customers until 14:30 and by 14:45 the placed was absolutely banged-out. Just as we were settling our bill after a long boozy lunch.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024