Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thoughts from the season opener 00:21 - Aug 8 with 6310 viewsdavman

1. Not sure if it was the formation or the personnel, but our wide men weren't tracking the full backs at all in the first half. Too often, Lids had a man over and, as TC said during his interview at half time, we may have been in trouble if either of their full backs could cross! Gladwin was miles away from his man constantly - he even made Matt Phillips' tracking back last season look good - and, although not quite as bad, Shadipo wasn't too close to his man either. We looked susceptible to the long diagonal, so it's a good thing Lids were poor.

2. Gladwin. I really want him to do well, but he's just not very good, is he? JFH said that his yellow card was harsh. No it wasn't; it was a blatant hack resulting from Gladwin being miles off his man during a Lids attack. VERY lucky to stay on the field today.

3. Chery's cheeky corners - how did he get away with taking those corners with the ball a clear couple of inches outside the quadrant? More importantly, what advantage did we gain?

4. Rob Green. Hilarious. Useless.

5. The BFG really is developing into a quality player. Ignore the handball for the goal, but what a strike!

6. Right back. Ned. Is. Not. And. Never. Will. Be. A. Right. Back. Ok, so he did "Ok" today, but he will get caught out there a few times this season.

7. Karlos Henry - top notch again. He and Luongo complimented each other perfectly today, as did...

8. Caulker and Hall - a quality centre half partnership. Shame Caulker will be leaving us before the end of the window...

9. A good day - night, night. ..

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Thoughts from the season opener on 01:58 - Aug 8 with 3637 viewsDylanP

Wow, considering how poor we were in all those ways, its amazing that we managed to eek out a commanding3-0 victory really!?!?!

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Thoughts from the season opener on 02:38 - Aug 8 with 3615 viewsBoston

Thoughts from the season opener on 01:58 - Aug 8 by DylanP

Wow, considering how poor we were in all those ways, its amazing that we managed to eek out a commanding3-0 victory really!?!?!

Well you might not think the blatant cheating of taking two inches advantage every time we had a corner is a laughing matter. But when you add 'em all up we were halfway across the nine yard box mid way through the second!

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Thoughts from the season opener on 05:23 - Aug 8 with 3532 viewsPommyhoop

Number 6
Nice of you to give him an ''OK''
A goal ( has he been given it) , an assist and a clean sheet= ''OK''
Its gonna be a long old season for Ned..

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Thoughts from the season opener on 07:28 - Aug 8 with 3419 viewsloftboy

According to a text I got off a Leeds mate from the away end was "we were shit and you were a poor side" make of that what you will.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Thoughts from the season opener on 08:03 - Aug 8 with 3336 viewsdavman

Thoughts from the season opener on 01:58 - Aug 8 by DylanP

Oh, Dylan, you are as predictable as your opinions - a down arrow for expressing an opinion? I am calling it as I saw it at the game on Sunday; it may be different from how you saw things on the telly, but hey ho...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Thoughts from the season opener on 08:29 - Aug 8 with 3252 viewsrsonist

Given you a Up Arrow to avenge Dylan's jihad.

Think you have been, or worded things, slightly harsh but not just for the sake of it either to be fair.

Ned at RB is a compromise, no doubt about it, but all things considered hardly a catastrophic one. To change the situation now would be a pretty big upheaval and it's too late for that now so let's get behind him. (Last time I checked Dani Alves wasn't sat outside HQ with his suitcase twiddling his thumbs either.)

Gladwin struggled, again no use in claiming otherwise, but let's not write him off either.

Agree with your first point, certainly a vulnerability for better opposition to exploit, but I'm not sure the solution is as simple or as realistic as wide tracking.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2016 8:32]
Thoughts from the season opener on 09:07 - Aug 8 with 3165 viewsQPR_John

Thoughts from the season opener on 07:28 - Aug 8 by loftboy

According to a text I got off a Leeds mate from the away end was "we were shit and you were a poor side" make of that what you will.

Is that not the general reaction by supporters to losing big
Thoughts from the season opener on 09:07 - Aug 8 with 3157 viewsTonto

Gladwin is a shame - his rise up the rankings/leagues has been pretty meteoric - almost Jamie Vardy like.

Alas he looked pretty lost out there - he was the one player who didn't seem to know what his role was. The Sky commentators twice said it was his decision making that needed to improve, and there is little evidence to disagree with that. And his haircut was pretty atrocious too.

I fear he is going to be set for a season on the bench or a loan out to gain some confidence.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Login to get fewer ads

Thoughts from the season opener on 09:35 - Aug 8 with 3080 viewsjonno

Thoughts from the season opener on 09:07 - Aug 8 by Tonto

Gladwin is a shame - his rise up the rankings/leagues has been pretty meteoric - almost Jamie Vardy like.

Alas he looked pretty lost out there - he was the one player who didn't seem to know what his role was. The Sky commentators twice said it was his decision making that needed to improve, and there is little evidence to disagree with that. And his haircut was pretty atrocious too.

I fear he is going to be set for a season on the bench or a loan out to gain some confidence.

He doesn't appear to fully understand what his role is, I assume it is to get down the line and get crosses in, and get back to support the fullback when not in possession or close down the left sided opposing player quickly. I'm not sure he can do any of those things consistently at this level. That's why he looks out of his depth, which is not to say that with some coaching he can't improve into the role but I suspect he won't be starting the next league game.
Thoughts from the season opener on 09:45 - Aug 8 with 3024 viewshoof_hearted

Reply to him:-

"We won and you're a bunch of knuts who boo'd your own team after their first match with a new manager and 5 new players- oh and also you're not famous any more for so long that nobody remembers when you were"

Thoughts from the season opener on 09:46 - Aug 8 with 3021 viewssimmo

8 points made and even the more positive ones are caveated with something negative, well done with that!

Also seems churlish to dig out Onouha specifically about not being a dedicated right back. I thought the post was about the game rather than him playing in a different position? Because for the game that I saw he was very decent. Got an assist to his name too.

I personally think if we're playing that Yeni on the right, he will be quite attacking and direct, so a more defence minded full back behind him might be called for. Although Ned is never going to be Bidwell with a right foot, he's still better than a lot of RB's at this level! Point 4 spot on though ;-)

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Thoughts from the season opener on 09:50 - Aug 8 with 2992 viewsdaveB

Gladwin started well then had a bad 5 minutes where he lost his man and didn't track the runner, the abuse he got was ridiculous being told to feck off and booed. all very hostile for an honest mistake. No wonder he has no confidence
Thoughts from the season opener on 09:55 - Aug 8 with 2975 viewsIrishR

Like many say Gladwin just does not seem to know his role. I worried about this after seeing him against Watford in the friendly and he was the same again yesterday. It doesnt help that Ned tucks into a CB position a lot which leave his man free too, also coupled with this Gladwin is not a winger and wants to pull into the middle more himself. We may not get to see him improve much however with Yeni coming in. I guess then we will see more about Ned at RB and if its causing issues also for the RM.

Why to a lot of RB/LBs seem to cut in to support there CBs so much and leaving so much space. Do you think this is a good thing or messes with the shape too much like yesterday with Gladwin not really know who to mark as he was mainly caught between 2 free men there. I think there are other issues with him however, he is off the pace, lacks belief in himself and doesnt look like the hardest worker. I would like to see more of him in the middle but do not think there is a place for him there either.
Thoughts from the season opener on 09:59 - Aug 8 with 2958 viewshoof_hearted

Thoughts from the season opener on 09:50 - Aug 8 by daveB

Gladwin started well then had a bad 5 minutes where he lost his man and didn't track the runner, the abuse he got was ridiculous being told to feck off and booed. all very hostile for an honest mistake. No wonder he has no confidence

Thought Gladwin had his best game for us but was subbed at the right time before he got sent off.

Shodipo had run himself into the ground by the time he came off. ELK is a very good substitute for him in that position and is unlucky not to start on current form. 2 evenly matched players for that position is nice after the last few years of watching right footed players failing to cross properly from the left.
Thoughts from the season opener on 10:04 - Aug 8 with 2926 viewsCamberleyR

Well I'd say after losing by three goals that makes them a shitter and an even poorer side.

Deluded fckwits.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Thoughts from the season opener on 10:10 - Aug 8 with 2908 viewsLongsufferingR

Agree with 1, but Ngbakoto will hopefully go a long way towards remedying that.
Point 2 - I think there is a good player in there but don't think we've found the right position for him yet.
Point 3 - What most people don't seem to realise is that the ball doesn't even need to be touching the line. It just needs to be overhanging the line by a millimetre for the corner to be taken.
Point 4 - Oh yes.
Point 5 - I wouldn't dream of even adding your caveat to his goal. He was and is tremendous.
Point 6 - Unfair.
Point 7, 8 and 9 Absolutely.
Thoughts from the season opener on 10:20 - Aug 8 with 2876 viewsrsonist

Gladwin is clearly not a refined product of academy schooling. Very unorthodox proposition and always has been - built like a right back, feet like Chris Waddle (I know he hasn't showed much evidence of that with us but still). Only in non-league.

That's both his strength and his weakness and I think anyone getting a tune out of him is probably going to have to embrace that and the compromises it necessitates. I'm just not sure breaking him into a super defined role is ever going to work, or if it is whether he will still retain anything of what made him interesting or effective.

That being said I'm certainly not asking for JFH to be more laissez-faire Redknapp style "just go out and play" either. Maybe one day the system will chafe but not now.

I feel a little bit sorry for him to be honest. I think the club has been a little bit irresponsible picking him up without a better idea of what they want to do with him. OTOH it may just be he's just meant to be the sort of local tubby maverick who never cracks the big time (Le Tissier, Tomlin, Beauchamp).

And yes, the hair isn't helping.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2016 10:22]
Thoughts from the season opener on 10:26 - Aug 8 with 2834 viewsElHoop

Thoughts from the season opener on 10:04 - Aug 8 by CamberleyR

Well I'd say after losing by three goals that makes them a shitter and an even poorer side.

Deluded fckwits.

Isn't that what they said?
Thoughts from the season opener on 10:28 - Aug 8 with 2823 viewsCiderwithRsie

Thoughts from the season opener on 09:07 - Aug 8 by QPR_John

Is that not the general reaction by supporters to losing big

It's what I always say.

Actually it's also what some people say even when we've won.

(Um. Not aimed at you, Davman.)
Thoughts from the season opener on 10:31 - Aug 8 with 2808 viewsLblock

Thoughts from the season opener on 09:50 - Aug 8 by daveB

Gotta disagree with you there.

Around me the support was pretty good at all times -- one thing that sticks out was when Shoopydoopdoop shanked that ridiculous cross up into the unwashed away end upper.
Everybody, and I mean everybody, in my area chose instead to applaud his good work at getting into that position.

I heard no booing of our players.
Yes, after Gladwin wandered around not tracking his man for about the 6th or 7th time there were shouts of pull your finger out, but that was well deserved.

I'd like nothing better than Ben to become the new Chaz Austin in his position. Thing is I'm not sure anyone knows what his position is, not even him. He appears slow, cumbersome, weak in the tackle, poor in the air and positionally all over the shop. I'm judging this on the 4 or 5 times I've seen him granted.
I fear for him...........

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Thoughts from the season opener on 11:06 - Aug 8 with 2723 viewssimmo

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Thoughts from the season opener on 11:07 - Aug 8 with 2714 viewsHunterhoop

Dav, cannot agree on calling out Onouha.

He was the only one with a challenge yesterday up against Leeds' most dangerous player in Roofe. He had little competent support from Gladwin in front of him and yet kept Roofe in check throughout. He put in a great tackle early on. No one got the better of him, he intercepted that pass and strode out of defense well to set up Seb to hit the post...he had an excellent game. His one mistake (getting robbed by Roofe in the second half on the halfway line) he got up, made up 10 yards on Roofe and put in a great tackle in the box to recover.

He's not as comfortable in possession as some RBs. We all know that. But, frankly, any RBs who are as good defensively as him AND good on the ball are playing in the Prem.

Frankly, he had a much better game than Bidwell at full back, not that Bidwell was bad mind. But Bidwell made a ricket in the first half from that cross to the back stick that he missed completely and their winger fired over. Bidwell also put a few channel balls into touch. Don't see anyone having a go at his performance (rightly so!).

I think the whole Onouha isn't a right back thing has taken on a life of it's own. He was RB at home to Spurs against Bale a few years back, RB in our 1-0 win away at Chelscum, RB when we went through our best spell as a defence last year. Yet, because he doesn't look cultured on the ball (albeit he's often effective given people bounce off him), he's "not a right back".

It's clear JFH wants his back 4 to be defenders first and foremost. He's a good defender, a good influence around the club, clearly respected by his peers, and on a much reduced salary than what we originally signed him on. Everyone should get behind him rather than wait expectantly for him to misplace a pass and then lambast him for "not being a right back". He's better than Perch and Furlong there, certainly defensively, so let's just support him, shall we.
Thoughts from the season opener on 11:12 - Aug 8 with 2684 viewsMick_S

It's clear JFH wants his back 4 to be defenders first and foremost.

Ahhhhhh... Proper old style football. Magic.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Thoughts from the season opener on 11:13 - Aug 8 with 2675 viewsdaveB

Thoughts from the season opener on 10:31 - Aug 8 by Lblock

Gotta disagree with you there.

Around me the support was pretty good at all times -- one thing that sticks out was when Shoopydoopdoop shanked that ridiculous cross up into the unwashed away end upper.
Everybody, and I mean everybody, in my area chose instead to applaud his good work at getting into that position.

I heard no booing of our players.
Yes, after Gladwin wandered around not tracking his man for about the 6th or 7th time there were shouts of pull your finger out, but that was well deserved.

I'd like nothing better than Ben to become the new Chaz Austin in his position. Thing is I'm not sure anyone knows what his position is, not even him. He appears slow, cumbersome, weak in the tackle, poor in the air and positionally all over the shop. I'm judging this on the 4 or 5 times I've seen him granted.
I fear for him...........

He was getting tons of stick near me, told to feck off, screams for hasselbaink to take him off. It all seemed very over the top to me.
Thoughts from the season opener on 11:48 - Aug 8 with 2574 viewsrsonist

Nice pic of Ned spotting Davman in the crowd yesterday...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024