Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
It's all a con 18:23 - Apr 7 with 2648 viewsFDC

I'm increasingly of the opinion that football, especially at this level, is essentially random.

We the supporters try to interpret results and performances within a framework of cause and effect. And yet I reckon you'd have as much chance of predicting results and probably player performances by randomly picking numbers out of the air.

In what logical universe do you follow up last week's result with this one?
It's all a con on 18:31 - Apr 7 with 2577 viewsBoston

Football isn't supposed to be logical, that's why the Premier League is destroying life as we know it.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

It's all a con on 18:38 - Apr 7 with 2546 viewsTacticalR

It's fake football. Monday's team has been replaced by bots.

Air hostess clique

It's all a con on 18:54 - Apr 7 with 2470 viewsstevec

What was the score when Robbo came on?

Look, I’m only asking.
It's all a con on 19:59 - Apr 7 with 2282 viewsDorse

I take some small measure of comfort in knowing that, in a parallel dimension of the multiverse, we crushed Hull today and sealed the Championship.

Hello darkness my old friend...

Bastard football.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

It's all a con on 21:10 - Apr 7 with 2111 viewsterryb

It's all a con on 18:54 - Apr 7 by stevec

Look, I’m only asking.

And how many goals did we score today without Washington?

Look, I'm only asking!
It's all a con on 01:44 - Apr 8 with 1784 viewssmegma

It's all a con on 18:54 - Apr 7 by stevec

Look, I’m only asking.

We missed Grant Hall I reckon.
It's all a con on 09:13 - Apr 8 with 1650 viewsdublinr

The game only seems random because we are so emotionally involved, and understandably biased in favour of the only team we really know anything about.

Alas, this was a nailed-on home win. At the end of each season the teams at risk of relegation start picking up points, especially at home, especially to teams with nothing to play for. Look at the teams in trouble this weekend. Home wins for Barnsley, hull and Reading, an away draw for Sunderland. All seemingly unlikely results. But in fact the only team in the bottom seven to lose was bolton.

We always forget this and start thinking around february that 'this year 43 points'll do it'. Generally, it doesn't. You need nearer 50 because talk about the importance of building momentum, preparing for next season etc doesn't cut the mustard when up against a team playing for survival.

Having said that, football IS a bastard. I knew all that yesterday, but still followed the game, got depressed, then angry.. But since i was hoping for an unlikely roy of the rovers performance with hull looking like dustbins and a hatrick from eze, I only have myself to blame.

We shouldn't get too worked up about the result, and should expect more 'surprising' reversals. Its not 'being on the beach', its a statistically verifiable psychological advantage that teams in trouble have - just like teams playing at home.

Bugger

It's all a con on 09:35 - Apr 8 with 1593 viewsTGRRRSSS

Leaving aside for the fact QPR is nearly always the ideal side to play whenever you require a result, a player a goal etc etc, our positiion is exactly the type of game you want when battling relegation.
A side high up enough so they wont go down and cannot go up or reach the play offs, with half an eye on the beach, the World cup (for 1 or 2) or simply potentially leaving at the end of the season.

4-0 is perhaps harder to swallow though and is, oh and generally we've been very poor away from home all season in any event.
[Post edited 8 Apr 2018 9:54]
Login to get fewer ads

It's all a con on 09:52 - Apr 8 with 1568 viewsdublinr

Yeah, why are we so so poor away from home? Managers and players come and go, but we are steadfastly shit on our travels. Can't explain that. Gone way beyond coaching, beyond help from a psychologist, perhaps we need an exorcist.

For the cup too, of course

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024