Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Safe Standing 19:04 - Jun 6 with 2216 viewsHastings_Hoops

I am assuming that QPR are going to be at Loftus Road for a few years yet because in my opinion, even if there is a green light for the new stadium there will be at least 5 years before the new stadium is open*

...On this basis, do you think it would be a sensible move to provide some safe standing in the stadium and if so, where? Ellerslie Road would seem sensible to me as the leg room is unsuitable for seating and it would appear a very sensible move to make the stand more comfortable and take advantage of the fact that this is already where most noise is generated.

On a similar note - who would lean toward safe standing in lieu of seating if it was on offer at HQ, even if at a similar price?

*Assuming contractual matters for sale of the land (1 year), working up a planning application (best case 1 year) and planning determination (4 months if the Council met its statutory timescales), agreeing a section 106 + the almost certain and dreaded judicial review (how long is anyone's guess) before Construction starts (18 months).
Safe Standing on 20:30 - Jun 6 with 2129 viewsToast_R

100% Yes from me. I'd even buy a season ticket again.
Safe Standing on 20:48 - Jun 6 with 2099 viewshooper1957

Safe Standing on 20:30 - Jun 6 by Toast_R

100% Yes from me. I'd even buy a season ticket again.

Safe standing will never work in Ellerslie rd as the view can already be restricted sitting would only ever work in the loft and school ends
Safe Standing on 22:32 - Jun 6 with 1970 viewsSharpediver

Would make sense in a lot of ways. We could put capacity up to 21-23,000 with safe standing on Lower Loft, School End and Paddocks and it would improve the atmosphere tremendously. The club could even reduce ticket prices to say £20-22 for the standing places and everyone's a winner. Return to early 90s arrangements really. TBH, would be happy with this forever. Why leave Loftus Road?
Safe Standing on 23:07 - Jun 6 with 1936 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

There is no way that the capacity is going up in Ellerslie Road. The concourses and means of escape are awful, which means if you had to get permission for new work you wouldn't be able to maintain the present capacity let alone increase it. Anyway the seat widths and space requirements probably mean you could get less in.

Do we seem like a club who can throw even more money away?
Safe Standing on 23:59 - Jun 6 with 1888 viewsMatch82

Safe Standing on 22:32 - Jun 6 by Sharpediver

Would make sense in a lot of ways. We could put capacity up to 21-23,000 with safe standing on Lower Loft, School End and Paddocks and it would improve the atmosphere tremendously. The club could even reduce ticket prices to say £20-22 for the standing places and everyone's a winner. Return to early 90s arrangements really. TBH, would be happy with this forever. Why leave Loftus Road?

Isn't the point of safe standing that you effectively have a seat in each location which can be flipped up? I'd be surprised if this would result in increased capacity, particularly as loftus road is not exactly generous in the leg room department to begin with
Safe Standing on 06:26 - Jun 7 with 1795 viewsSharpediver

Safe Standing on 23:59 - Jun 6 by Match82

Isn't the point of safe standing that you effectively have a seat in each location which can be flipped up? I'd be surprised if this would result in increased capacity, particularly as loftus road is not exactly generous in the leg room department to begin with

If the terrace is raked steeply enough you can allocate more standing places than seats. For example, in Germany Hannover allocate 5,700 standing places in an area of 3,000 seats. I've been to Borussia Dortmund a couple of times for Bundesliga games. There were 81,000 there with over 30,000 standing on 3 separate terraces (for home and away fans). It's absolutely superb as a spectacle and makes English stadiums seem very dull in comparison. However, In the Champions League where all seating is compulsory the capacity there drops to 66,000.
It can be done at Loftus Road if there is the imagination to do it.
Safe Standing on 13:56 - Jun 7 with 1580 viewsMatch82

Safe Standing on 06:26 - Jun 7 by Sharpediver

If the terrace is raked steeply enough you can allocate more standing places than seats. For example, in Germany Hannover allocate 5,700 standing places in an area of 3,000 seats. I've been to Borussia Dortmund a couple of times for Bundesliga games. There were 81,000 there with over 30,000 standing on 3 separate terraces (for home and away fans). It's absolutely superb as a spectacle and makes English stadiums seem very dull in comparison. However, In the Champions League where all seating is compulsory the capacity there drops to 66,000.

Fair enough, thanks for the additional context
Safe Standing on 15:19 - Jun 7 with 1527 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Safe Standing on 06:26 - Jun 7 by Sharpediver

Good info, thanks,

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Safe Standing on 15:52 - Jun 7 with 1479 viewsSharpediver

Safe Standing on 15:19 - Jun 7 by BrianMcCarthy

Good info, thanks,

Another idea would be to demolish the current Loft and just have a big safe standing terrace there on the same footprint that exists already. Combine that with safe standing on the paddocks and School End lower and we could probably achieve a capacity of c. 24-26,000. More than enough realistically. What's more, we would have the most atmospheric ground in English football. Alright, there's still not going to be enough space for great bars or other facilities in the ground but who really needs them when you have scores of outstanding pubs, cafes and restaurants all within walking distance of the ground already? Obviously, current laws would have to change for this to happen but I get the feeling the momentum for safe standing will lead to changes within the next 2-3 years. Spurs have already future proofed their new stadium to incorporate such changes if they become possible.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2019 15:53]
Safe Standing on 16:27 - Jun 7 with 1426 viewsCamberleyR

Al of this is all very well but it's missing the fundamental points as to why the board think we need to leave LR in that you still have an old stadium that is expensive to maintain and doesn't generate hardly any additional income the 23 days it's not being used for a Championship football match.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Safe Standing on 17:10 - Jun 7 with 1388 viewsMistication92

Safe Standing on 16:27 - Jun 7 by CamberleyR

Al of this is all very well but it's missing the fundamental points as to why the board think we need to leave LR in that you still have an old stadium that is expensive to maintain and doesn't generate hardly any additional income the 23 days it's not being used for a Championship football match.

Bingo
Safe Standing on 17:36 - Jun 7 with 1370 viewsoldmisery

Safe Standing on 16:27 - Jun 7 by CamberleyR

Shouldn't that be the 342 days it's not being used for Championship football?
Safe Standing on 18:00 - Jun 7 with 1347 viewsCamberleyR

Safe Standing on 17:36 - Jun 7 by oldmisery

Of course.

I need a lie down.

[Post edited 7 Jun 2019 18:04]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Safe Standing on 19:56 - Jun 7 with 1293 viewsEsox_Lucius

Safe Standing on 22:32 - Jun 6 by Sharpediver

Prices would have to go up to cover the renovation, not down.

The grass is always greener.

Safe Standing on 20:55 - Jun 7 with 1246 viewsSharpediver

Safe Standing on 19:56 - Jun 7 by Esox_Lucius

Prices would have to go up to cover the renovation, not down.

That would depend. If we're going to build a brand new stadium costing £100s millions, will prices go up to pay for that? If so, it will be difficult to fill it. Refurbishment might cost only a tenth of that and bigger crowds attracted by the novelty and camaraderie of safe standing would help bring in bigger revenues. If we ever find ourselves in the PL again ticket prices are irrelevant/negligible in terms of how much revenue they bring in compared to the TV money.
I know that's there's very little chance of what I'm proposing ever coming about but wouldn't it be something genuinely original and exciting?
[Post edited 7 Jun 2019 21:20]
Safe Standing on 22:14 - Jun 7 with 1196 viewsShotKneesHoop

Safe Standing on 17:36 - Jun 7 by oldmisery

After Schteve's reign there this season, you can increase that to 365 days in the year,

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Safe Standing on 02:51 - Jun 8 with 1128 viewstimcocking

Are you serious?

Losing the option to stand and sing was the biggest blow ever in football to me, absolutely ruined the experience. Waited every day since for it to return.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024