Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Joe Lumley's Grandfather? 09:03 - Feb 28 with 3105 viewsstefan54

While looking through some old programmes, I saw that a Lumley (no first name given) played three games in goal in the 1963/64 season for the Combination team.

Any relation to Joe?
Joe Lumley's Grandfather? on 09:50 - Feb 28 with 3022 viewsterryb

I've asked before, but received no reply, as to whether he is related to Robin Lumley.*

Robin was the goalkeeper for Chesham United at the time you mention & may be the'keeper that played in those Combination matches. He was also one of the best to have graced The Meadow!

*Sorry, that reads poorly & could be taken as having a dig at posters (unintended). I can't think of any reason why any of this board would know if they are related.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2020 9:54]
Joe Lumley's Grandfather? on 10:25 - Feb 28 with 2957 viewsstefan54

Joe Lumley's Grandfather? on 09:50 - Feb 28 by terryb

I've asked before, but received no reply, as to whether he is related to Robin Lumley.*

Robin was the goalkeeper for Chesham United at the time you mention & may be the'keeper that played in those Combination matches. He was also one of the best to have graced The Meadow!

*Sorry, that reads poorly & could be taken as having a dig at posters (unintended). I can't think of any reason why any of this board would know if they are related.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2020 9:54]

I only put this on the message board as a matter of interest and on the off-chance that someone might know something.
Joe Lumley's Grandfather? on 12:54 - Feb 28 with 2820 viewsDannyPaddox

Straight up. The keyboard player in Bowie’s Spiders From Mars is called Robin Lumley. As the camera sweeps around you can see him in about the last 20 seconds of Starman on TOTP in 72. Same name - good with his hands. Couldn’t be him could it? That would be a-mazing.

Update:

Rs programme from 1964

Indeed Robin the keeper is from Chesham not Mars. I got excited for a moment there. Kept a clean sheet on his debut away at Millwall on a Tuesday in February. Fair play.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2020 13:50]
Joe Lumley's Grandfather? on 14:13 - Feb 28 with 2677 viewsterryb

Joe Lumley's Grandfather? on 10:25 - Feb 28 by stefan54

I only put this on the message board as a matter of interest and on the off-chance that someone might know something.

Sorry stefan.

I didn't mean my post about people not knowing to be aimed at you. It was more about my own reaction when nobody knew the answer previously!

I just hope that they are related!
Joe Lumley's Grandfather? on 14:21 - Feb 28 with 2659 viewsterryb

Joe Lumley's Grandfather? on 12:54 - Feb 28 by DannyPaddox

Straight up. The keyboard player in Bowie’s Spiders From Mars is called Robin Lumley. As the camera sweeps around you can see him in about the last 20 seconds of Starman on TOTP in 72. Same name - good with his hands. Couldn’t be him could it? That would be a-mazing.

Update:

Rs programme from 1964

Indeed Robin the keeper is from Chesham not Mars. I got excited for a moment there. Kept a clean sheet on his debut away at Millwall on a Tuesday in February. Fair play.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2020 13:50]

Cheers Danny.

Robin was a very good 'keeper for that level & definitely played better than Grobbelaar did when he played for "Chesh"!

Larry Pritchard was possibly the best "amateur" playing in the country in the late '60's/early '70's for Sutton & then for the club that I loathe!
Joe Lumley's Grandfather? on 08:07 - Feb 29 with 2365 viewsstefan54

Joe Lumley's Grandfather? on 14:13 - Feb 28 by terryb

Sorry stefan.

I didn't mean my post about people not knowing to be aimed at you. It was more about my own reaction when nobody knew the answer previously!

I just hope that they are related!

No offence taken!
Joe Lumley's Grandfather? on 09:36 - Feb 29 with 2307 viewsnix

Wonder if it's worth asking the press team. They sometimes reply on twitter or there may be an email address you can contact them on.
Joe Lumley's Grandfather? on 09:55 - Feb 29 with 2289 viewsterryb

Joe Lumley's Grandfather? on 09:36 - Feb 29 by nix

Wonder if it's worth asking the press team. They sometimes reply on twitter or there may be an email address you can contact them on.

Cheers nix.

I hadn't regarded the question as important enough to have contacted the club previously.

However, my curiosity has now risen to the level that i have sent an e mail to the club posing the question!
Login to get fewer ads

Joe Lumley's Grandfather? on 10:04 - Feb 29 with 2273 viewsstefan54

Joe Lumley's Grandfather? on 09:55 - Feb 29 by terryb

Cheers nix.

I hadn't regarded the question as important enough to have contacted the club previously.

However, my curiosity has now risen to the level that i have sent an e mail to the club posing the question!

I was on the point of doing so but you got in first!
Joe Lumley's Grandfather? on 10:33 - Mar 7 with 1909 viewsstefan54

Joe Lumley's Grandfather? on 09:55 - Feb 29 by terryb

Cheers nix.

Did you get a response?
Joe Lumley's Grandfather? on 12:16 - Mar 7 with 1840 viewsDavieQPR

Our Lumley was originally on Spurs books which was his route to being at our club. So possibly not through a family connection.
Joe Lumley's Grandfather? on 12:30 - Mar 7 with 1827 viewsterryb

Joe Lumley's Grandfather? on 10:33 - Mar 7 by stefan54

Did you get a response?

Yes, that the PR department don't know the answer but that they will ask Joe if he is at the training ground when they are next there!
Joe Lumley's Grandfather? on 12:39 - Mar 7 with 1809 viewsEsox_Lucius

Joe Lumley's Grandfather? on 14:21 - Feb 28 by terryb

Cheers Danny.

Robin was a very good 'keeper for that level & definitely played better than Grobbelaar did when he played for "Chesh"!

Larry Pritchard was possibly the best "amateur" playing in the country in the late '60's/early '70's for Sutton & then for the club that I loathe!

Keith Sanderson? albeit I think he may have been classified as a semi pro.

The grass is always greener.

Joe Lumley's Grandfather? on 18:09 - Mar 7 with 1688 viewstimcocking

We all need to know now, it's bugging me...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024