Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What happens if football never comes back 22:53 - Apr 12 with 1134 viewsqprxtc

If after all this,,all that we knew turns to slurry. And we may have to bugger off and do something else.

I think I’ll use my initiative and sell my soul at the crossroads and become a ...... let me think.

Errrrr
What happens if football never comes back on 22:57 - Apr 12 with 1120 viewsloftboy

I don’t think we are too far off from supporters of some clubs having to face up to that!

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

What happens if football never comes back on 22:59 - Apr 12 with 1112 viewsJuzzie

If this was 6-7 years ago I don’t know what I’d do.
Then i became a dad (and again three years later).
Its knocked my football watching down 95% so in a way have already adjusted.
Shame really as my boy’s just getting into it (we went to his first QPR games over xmas) and wants to go again. There are some non league near us (our neighbour is the chairman of one, and no he’s not a millionaire, does everything from painting & decorating to whatever is done at the other end) so maybe I’ll take him there a few times, if they’re still going.
[Post edited 13 Apr 2020 9:07]
What happens if football never comes back on 23:12 - Apr 12 with 1090 viewsdistortR

I'd have to think about BIG things, and that would never do
What happens if football never comes back on 07:23 - Apr 13 with 1004 viewsTonto

There is going to have to be a LOT of adjustments at the end of this. Football will be just one of them.

In some ways I wont shed a tear if the premiership bubble bursts. It was morally bankrupt anyway.

But the issue is, you have to be careful what you wish for. There is a danger that what replaces it will be even more selfish. (This analogy applies to a wide range of areas!)

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

What happens if football never comes back on 08:01 - Apr 13 with 990 viewsThe_Beast1976

What happens if football never comes back on 07:23 - Apr 13 by Tonto

There is going to have to be a LOT of adjustments at the end of this. Football will be just one of them.

In some ways I wont shed a tear if the premiership bubble bursts. It was morally bankrupt anyway.

But the issue is, you have to be careful what you wish for. There is a danger that what replaces it will be even more selfish. (This analogy applies to a wide range of areas!)

You could always follow England away in the cricket each winter
What happens if football never comes back on 08:07 - Apr 13 with 985 viewsstowmarketrange

What happens if football never comes back on 08:01 - Apr 13 by The_Beast1976

I went to Australia for a month for the last ashes series and I’d like to do the same again for the next one.Also India away is on the bucket list too.
What better way to spend an English winter than sitting in the sun drinking beer and watching cricket.
What happens if football never comes back on 08:14 - Apr 13 with 975 viewsTonto

What happens if football never comes back on 08:01 - Apr 13 by The_Beast1976

That was always my retirement plan. Just wasnt planning on retiring just yet!

What happens if football never comes back (n/t) on 08:20 - Apr 13 with 964 viewsThe_Beast1976

[Post edited 13 Apr 2020 8:23]
Login to get fewer ads

What happens if football never comes back on 08:22 - Apr 13 with 960 viewsThe_Beast1976

What happens if football never comes back on 08:07 - Apr 13 by stowmarketrange

I went to Australia for a month for the last ashes series and I’d like to do the same again for the next one.Also India away is on the bucket list too.
What better way to spend an English winter than sitting in the sun drinking beer and watching cricket.

Precisely! I attended my 50th England away Test in Johannesburg in January, having done the whole series there and also the series in NZ in Nov/Dec. Following England away in the cricket each winter is the best thing I ever did. Beats football by a country mile in my respectful opinion (largely because of the way football has gone with the tv, money etc, which drove me away from it and towards cricket).

If we are back into a position where we can travel this forthcoming winter, I recommend getting out to India if you haven't been before and you can do so. I'll be heading out if it goes ahead. If you need any info I'm happy to provide.

P.s. whilst I fell out of love with football over the last 15 years or so, I do still love the Rangers. That never leaves ya
[Post edited 13 Apr 2020 8:24]
What happens if football never comes back on 08:51 - Apr 13 with 893 viewsstowmarketrange

What happens if football never comes back on 08:22 - Apr 13 by The_Beast1976

Precisely! I attended my 50th England away Test in Johannesburg in January, having done the whole series there and also the series in NZ in Nov/Dec. Following England away in the cricket each winter is the best thing I ever did. Beats football by a country mile in my respectful opinion (largely because of the way football has gone with the tv, money etc, which drove me away from it and towards cricket).

If we are back into a position where we can travel this forthcoming winter, I recommend getting out to India if you haven't been before and you can do so. I'll be heading out if it goes ahead. If you need any info I'm happy to provide.

P.s. whilst I fell out of love with football over the last 15 years or so, I do still love the Rangers. That never leaves ya
[Post edited 13 Apr 2020 8:24]

I went with the barmy army 2 years ago and it was more expensive than I was expecting,but everything was done for us.I’m sure it can be done cheaper,but it was a great experience all the same.
Its just a shame that Stokes didn’t go because I think it might’ve been a different outcome.

I did all 5 days at the oval last year(Apart from a couple of hours off for the Luton game),and that seemed like a cheaper version of touring abroad.We stayed in London so it meant being out on the lash most nights.And the result helped make it better.

I’d love to do India this winter,assuming that it’s still on,but work might get in the way of doing the full tour.
What happens if football never comes back on 09:22 - Apr 13 with 846 viewsThe_Beast1976

What happens if football never comes back on 08:51 - Apr 13 by stowmarketrange

I went with the barmy army 2 years ago and it was more expensive than I was expecting,but everything was done for us.I’m sure it can be done cheaper,but it was a great experience all the same.
Its just a shame that Stokes didn’t go because I think it might’ve been a different outcome.

I did all 5 days at the oval last year(Apart from a couple of hours off for the Luton game),and that seemed like a cheaper version of touring abroad.We stayed in London so it meant being out on the lash most nights.And the result helped make it better.

I’d love to do India this winter,assuming that it’s still on,but work might get in the way of doing the full tour.

Always more expensive if you book as part of a tour group, but yes still a great experience. Most of us (Barmy Army) book independently and then meet up out on tour, but of course we share info on flights, hotels, tickets etc with eachother when all sorting out our bookings over the spring/summer. It's much much cheaper that way. Australia is still the most expensive tour though what with the exchange rate (in 2010/11 we were getting around 1.4 dollars to the pound from memory, which made it very expensive indeed!).

With regards to the Oval being like a cheaper version of touring abroad, that's probably because you are comparing it to Australia. If you tried really hard you could probably do a full tour of India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh or South Africa (or at least a decent chunk of it) for less than the cost of 5 days at the Oval. I know some of the lads that do!!

India will be a cheap tour (although of course you can make it expensive if you want by staying in the top end 5* hotels, but they're really not worth it). I'm hoping we are back in Kolkata and Mohali this winter (the cricket is poorly attended in Mohali but I like Chandigargh more than some of the other cities). Mumbai is also decent and has lots of history, plus lots of bars and restaurants for the evening. Chennai is a dump - avoid at all costs is my advice (been twice - never again!).

I'd also add that a full tour of India is very tough going. Nothing is easy in India and it can become very frustrating when there for a long period. If it's your first time in the sub-continent, and if the Sri Lanka tour is rescheduled for this winter (which may or may not happen), then personally I'd recommend Sri Lanka over India for your first sub-continental tour (and it will only be 2 Tests, so you can get to both). Or do a bit of both tours if work allows :)

Finally, people seem to think touring must be really expensive. Other than Australia, it's not as expensive as most think it to be. Definitely get yourself planning for this winter if it looks like the tour (or tours) are going ahead. Happy to offer info and advice from my 15 years' experience of getting to most Test Matches abroad as an independent traveller (as I say, most in the Barmy Army who travel everywhere each winter are independent travellers and we are all great friends outside of the cricket as well. They are some of the nicest people I have ever met in fact, and definitely the most fantastic group of people I have the honour to call my mates)
[Post edited 13 Apr 2020 9:26]
What happens if football never comes back on 09:36 - Apr 13 with 822 viewstimcocking

Darts?
What happens if football never comes back on 09:42 - Apr 13 with 811 viewsstowmarketrange

What happens if football never comes back on 09:22 - Apr 13 by The_Beast1976

Always more expensive if you book as part of a tour group, but yes still a great experience. Most of us (Barmy Army) book independently and then meet up out on tour, but of course we share info on flights, hotels, tickets etc with eachother when all sorting out our bookings over the spring/summer. It's much much cheaper that way. Australia is still the most expensive tour though what with the exchange rate (in 2010/11 we were getting around 1.4 dollars to the pound from memory, which made it very expensive indeed!).

With regards to the Oval being like a cheaper version of touring abroad, that's probably because you are comparing it to Australia. If you tried really hard you could probably do a full tour of India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh or South Africa (or at least a decent chunk of it) for less than the cost of 5 days at the Oval. I know some of the lads that do!!

India will be a cheap tour (although of course you can make it expensive if you want by staying in the top end 5* hotels, but they're really not worth it). I'm hoping we are back in Kolkata and Mohali this winter (the cricket is poorly attended in Mohali but I like Chandigargh more than some of the other cities). Mumbai is also decent and has lots of history, plus lots of bars and restaurants for the evening. Chennai is a dump - avoid at all costs is my advice (been twice - never again!).

I'd also add that a full tour of India is very tough going. Nothing is easy in India and it can become very frustrating when there for a long period. If it's your first time in the sub-continent, and if the Sri Lanka tour is rescheduled for this winter (which may or may not happen), then personally I'd recommend Sri Lanka over India for your first sub-continental tour (and it will only be 2 Tests, so you can get to both). Or do a bit of both tours if work allows :)

Finally, people seem to think touring must be really expensive. Other than Australia, it's not as expensive as most think it to be. Definitely get yourself planning for this winter if it looks like the tour (or tours) are going ahead. Happy to offer info and advice from my 15 years' experience of getting to most Test Matches abroad as an independent traveller (as I say, most in the Barmy Army who travel everywhere each winter are independent travellers and we are all great friends outside of the cricket as well. They are some of the nicest people I have ever met in fact, and definitely the most fantastic group of people I have the honour to call my mates)
[Post edited 13 Apr 2020 9:26]

Cheers mate.Some good advice there.Its difficult when I only get 4 weeks holiday a year to fit everything in,and my Mrs hates cricket so it wouldn’t be fair to use all my allocation on 1 long trip.

The ashes trip was great because there was 9 of us all in the same hotel that were all out there as a bucket list trip,and all had football as a common theme.Some even flew out there just for the Perth test,and then went home.But I did find a few of the regular barmy army members a bit snotty and aloof.Most were great,but there were a couple of exceptions.
And of course the Saturdays were normally ruined by dicks singing about german bombers all day.

I will look to do something smaller for the winter and maybe Sri Lanka is the answer.Cheers.
[Post edited 13 Apr 2020 9:43]
What happens if football never comes back on 10:20 - Apr 13 with 780 viewsThe_Beast1976

What happens if football never comes back on 09:42 - Apr 13 by stowmarketrange

Cheers mate.Some good advice there.Its difficult when I only get 4 weeks holiday a year to fit everything in,and my Mrs hates cricket so it wouldn’t be fair to use all my allocation on 1 long trip.

The ashes trip was great because there was 9 of us all in the same hotel that were all out there as a bucket list trip,and all had football as a common theme.Some even flew out there just for the Perth test,and then went home.But I did find a few of the regular barmy army members a bit snotty and aloof.Most were great,but there were a couple of exceptions.
And of course the Saturdays were normally ruined by dicks singing about german bombers all day.

I will look to do something smaller for the winter and maybe Sri Lanka is the answer.Cheers.
[Post edited 13 Apr 2020 9:43]

"And of course the Saturdays were normally ruined by dicks singing about german bombers all day". Unfortunately one of the downsides of an Ashes tour. Doesn't happen on the other tours.

"But I did find a few of the regular barmy army members a bit snotty and aloof.Most were great,but there were a couple of exceptions". I guess that goes for any group of people. In the main most are fine, and a lot of them are fantastic people (and I don;t say that too often about people!! LOL).

If you went to Sri Lanka then you could stay in Unawatuna or Hikkaduwa for the Galle Test (I've stayed in both and prefer Hikkaduwa myself, but my Mrs prefers Unawatuna (as do many of our mates)). You can hop in a tuk tuk to the ground each day (one of the great grounds of world cricket) from either of them and your Mrs gets to spend the day by a lovely beach in a nice guest house or hotel if she doesn't fancy the cricket. Everyone's a winner!!

The alternative you could perhaps consider is one of the Tests in India (I'd probably recommend Mumbai if you can only done one Test and have the Mrs with you) and then down to Goa or Kerala for a week?

As I said, happy to provide any info/opinions once we know what is going on in the world.
[Post edited 13 Apr 2020 10:23]
What happens if football never comes back on 10:24 - Apr 13 with 770 viewsThe_Beast1976

What happens if football never comes back on 08:14 - Apr 13 by Tonto

That was always my retirement plan. Just wasnt planning on retiring just yet!

Now could be a good time to retire.....
What happens if football never comes back on 10:27 - Apr 13 with 762 viewsTonto

What happens if football never comes back on 10:24 - Apr 13 by The_Beast1976

Now could be a good time to retire.....

I'm not sure my bank manager would agree... assuming there are banks left after this of course...

What happens if football never comes back on 10:32 - Apr 13 with 755 viewsThe_Beast1976

What happens if football never comes back on 10:27 - Apr 13 by Tonto

I'm not sure my bank manager would agree... assuming there are banks left after this of course...

Yes, very true on the banks front. Fingers well and truly crossed that doesn't happen!

Also, goodness knows when we will play cricket on tour again. My gut feeling is that unfortunately it may not even be until the Ashes 2021/22 and, even if that is the case, will travel even be affordable for most come that time?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024