Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Defence today 20:07 - Sep 12 with 2152 viewsVancouverHoop

That was the first match in several seasons where my heart wasn't in my mouth every time the oppo had the ball anywhere near our penalty area. Were we dominant? No not quite, but we looked confident, and never panicked, which was a massive improvement.

One game is a small sample, but it really appears something has changed back there, and for the better. We'll know more with a couple more matches under our belts but the signs today were very positive.
Defence today on 22:54 - Sep 12 with 1807 viewsHastings_Hoops

Dickie and Wallace are apparently ‘leaders’, so that clearly helped along with Cameron sitting in front.
Defence today on 03:33 - Sep 13 with 1600 viewstimcocking

Although, just to play Devil's advocate for a moment, if Lewis Grabban had had a good day, Joe Lumley might easily have been picking the ball out of the net three times without having had a save to make again, ahem.
Defence today on 06:58 - Sep 13 with 1472 viewsMelakaRanger

Defence today on 03:33 - Sep 13 by timcocking

Although, just to play Devil's advocate for a moment, if Lewis Grabban had had a good day, Joe Lumley might easily have been picking the ball out of the net three times without having had a save to make again, ahem.

Very true

But as Warbs has often said, we have got to make our chances count.

Yesterday we did and they did not. But yes it could easily have been 1-3 or 2-4 yesterday.

The coming few weeks will show if we have improved a little in defence or not. I'll reserve judgement until then.

One observation from the match. We still seem a very lighweight (physically) team and are easy to be muscled off the ball
Defence today on 07:52 - Sep 13 with 1377 viewstraininvain

As much as I like Manning going forward, I do think he leaves us more exposed at the back and it probably outweighs any attacking benefit.
Defence today on 08:55 - Sep 13 with 1221 viewsgazza1

Defence today on 07:52 - Sep 13 by traininvain

As much as I like Manning going forward, I do think he leaves us more exposed at the back and it probably outweighs any attacking benefit.

Exactly.......Manning leaves us light at the back. Whilst I like him going forward his first job as far as I am concerned is defending and sadly that that is not his best trait.

I have been told that he was left out yesterday because he is mucking the Club about re his contract.
Defence today on 09:56 - Sep 13 with 1145 viewsfrancisbowles

Defence today on 06:58 - Sep 13 by MelakaRanger

Very true

But as Warbs has often said, we have got to make our chances count.

Yesterday we did and they did not. But yes it could easily have been 1-3 or 2-4 yesterday.

The coming few weeks will show if we have improved a little in defence or not. I'll reserve judgement until then.

One observation from the match. We still seem a very lighweight (physically) team and are easy to be muscled off the ball

I think we always will be at a size disadvantage, as MW said in his interview, if they were big and good on the ball they would be out of our price range and probably playing at a higher level.

I do think we have addressed it as well as we can and that Dykes and Dickie have given us a bit more than last season. Also, Kakay is a reasonable size at rb and playing Cameron and Wallace gave us extra physicality yesterday.

Hope that we can pick up a couple more that have quality with a bit of presence in the window.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2020 10:40]
Defence today on 10:10 - Sep 13 with 1098 viewsdaveB

They did still have 2 clear cut chances they should have scored and one shot at the end by Grabban after a Kakay mistake that wasn't far away from a goal as well.

We defended better than last week but I still think we need to score 2/3 goals to win games
Defence today on 10:44 - Sep 13 with 1010 viewsfrancisbowles

Defence today on 10:10 - Sep 13 by daveB

They did still have 2 clear cut chances they should have scored and one shot at the end by Grabban after a Kakay mistake that wasn't far away from a goal as well.

We defended better than last week but I still think we need to score 2/3 goals to win games

Early days though. First time that Barbet and Dickie have played together in a competitive game. The introduction of Wallace, who hasn't played much either.

Yes, we rode our luck a bit but it was encouraging.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024