Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Better but still beaten, QPR continue to unravel - Report 17:46 - Apr 10 with 5743 viewsNorthernr

God can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/57532
Better but still beaten, QPR continue to unravel - Report on 22:41 - Apr 10 with 3523 viewsdaveB

All seasons we have had moments in games where things turn. An iffy start against Birmingham then Chair smashes one in and we win comfortably, missing chances in games we are winning and then ending up losing like Forest, Cardiff and Peterborough. Yesterday was another of those, first 20 minutes Dozzell has a great chance to put us one up but misses, Chair went close as well, one of those go in and we win that game imo but longer half went on you could see the belief draining away and were 2 down before we knew it.

So frustrating, season is panning out like Warburtons first one with so much promise then a calamitous end to the season undoing all the good work.
Better but still beaten, QPR continue to unravel - Report on 08:22 - Apr 11 with 3174 viewsswitchingcode

I can relate to your loyalty points mention as someone who was amongst 168 fans away at Preston midweek not that long ago.All I hear now from the Johnny come lately fans now is how unfair it is.
Better but still beaten, QPR continue to unravel - Report on 09:41 - Apr 11 with 3040 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Thanks for doing these, Clive.

At the moment, it must feel like being the lighthouse keeper keeping the torch lit when you know all the fishing boats are safely moored for the holidays.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Better but still beaten, QPR continue to unravel - Report on 09:43 - Apr 11 with 3034 viewsBostonR

These reports lately must be a killer to do!

Clive - what's your view on whether Warburton stays or moves on? Would defeat to Derby be the killer blow?
Better but still beaten, QPR continue to unravel - Report on 09:46 - Apr 11 with 3024 viewsOldPedro

I have a few hundred loyalty points but as I live 'up north ' most of the games I go to are away at Preston, Blackburn, Barnsley, Huddersfield, Sheffield, so I always seem to be able to get tickets. And the away games are the ones with more loyalty points so that helps me earn more.

On the downside, I don't see us win very often.....

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Better but still beaten, QPR continue to unravel - Report on 09:49 - Apr 11 with 3002 viewsNorthernr

Better but still beaten, QPR continue to unravel - Report on 09:43 - Apr 11 by BostonR

These reports lately must be a killer to do!

Clive - what's your view on whether Warburton stays or moves on? Would defeat to Derby be the killer blow?

I think it's getting pretty obvious that he's going at the end of the season.

I think it's a shame, I'd keep him. Best manager we've had since Warnock, and the calibre of his replacement won't be anywhere near the Twitterati seem to think it would be. Not an attractive job, and Warburton knows, embraces and works within the restrictions we've got here.

If he'd done the job he'd done for us over the last three years somewhere else, and we were now looking for a manager, he'd be very high on our list. Sacking a manager who would be his own best replacement is never a shrewd move.

The problem you've got is if you do keep him he'll have very little credit in the tank, so if you lose a couple of games at the start of next season the knives will be out and the mood will turn. But what his most vocal critics never acknowledge is they hated Holloway's post match interviews, team selections and substitutions as well, and McClaren's. They'll hate the next bloke's interviews, choices and substitutions too.
Better but still beaten, QPR continue to unravel - Report on 10:15 - Apr 11 with 2911 viewsTheChef

Better but still beaten, QPR continue to unravel - Report on 09:49 - Apr 11 by Northernr

I think it's a shame, I'd keep him. Best manager we've had since Warnock, and the calibre of his replacement won't be anywhere near the Twitterati seem to think it would be. Not an attractive job, and Warburton knows, embraces and works within the restrictions we've got here.

If he'd done the job he'd done for us over the last three years somewhere else, and we were now looking for a manager, he'd be very high on our list. Sacking a manager who would be his own best replacement is never a shrewd move.

The problem you've got is if you do keep him he'll have very little credit in the tank, so if you lose a couple of games at the start of next season the knives will be out and the mood will turn. But what his most vocal critics never acknowledge is they hated Holloway's post match interviews, team selections and substitutions as well, and McClaren's. They'll hate the next bloke's interviews, choices and substitutions too.

Hmmm - well I live in hope that he will stay! Why do you think it's pretty obvious that he's going?

If we finish below 9th place (where we finished last season) which on current form looks very likely, that will be reason enough for the club not to offer a new contract?

Or do you think Warbs feels he needs a break and he thinks he has taken the team as far as he can?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Better but still beaten, QPR continue to unravel - Report on 10:25 - Apr 11 with 2886 viewsdaveB

Better but still beaten, QPR continue to unravel - Report on 09:49 - Apr 11 by Northernr

Whilst I agree with you I don't think you can go from a win at Blackburn to put us 2nd to 7 games later struggling to stay in the top half, That's some collapse. It's similar to Holloways first season where we went from pushing for mid table/top half to almost getting relegated.

he's been very unlucky with injuries especially to keepers and has lost key players like Dykes, Willock, Johansen and Wallace for too many games but there is no way you can give him a contract if this continues.

It's quite telling that even when things were going well how often the man of the match would be the goalkeeper or a defender, as an attacking unit I don't think we've been anywhere near as good as we could have been this season.

Bircham made a very good point on the west London sport podcast when he said the club seem to be split between being a development club bringing through players and going for promotion with older players, they don't seem to know what they want to be at the moment.

Assuming we do change I quite like the Blackpool manager Neil Critchley and have always liked Karl Robinson, think either of those would be a good fit for us

If he goes he's certainly left the club in a better place than he found it
Login to get fewer ads

Better but still beaten, QPR continue to unravel - Report on 10:32 - Apr 11 with 2854 viewsTheChef

Better but still beaten, QPR continue to unravel - Report on 10:25 - Apr 11 by daveB

Whilst I agree with you I don't think you can go from a win at Blackburn to put us 2nd to 7 games later struggling to stay in the top half, That's some collapse. It's similar to Holloways first season where we went from pushing for mid table/top half to almost getting relegated.

he's been very unlucky with injuries especially to keepers and has lost key players like Dykes, Willock, Johansen and Wallace for too many games but there is no way you can give him a contract if this continues.

It's quite telling that even when things were going well how often the man of the match would be the goalkeeper or a defender, as an attacking unit I don't think we've been anywhere near as good as we could have been this season.

Bircham made a very good point on the west London sport podcast when he said the club seem to be split between being a development club bringing through players and going for promotion with older players, they don't seem to know what they want to be at the moment.

Assuming we do change I quite like the Blackpool manager Neil Critchley and have always liked Karl Robinson, think either of those would be a good fit for us

Yeah key injuries have not helped, but the other issue is the mental collapse; from being a win away from possible second place, the squad seemed to collectively shit the bed. And for whatever reason the manager and coaches haven't been able to fix that.

Better but still beaten, QPR continue to unravel - Report on 10:40 - Apr 11 with 2831 viewsNorthernr

Better but still beaten, QPR continue to unravel - Report on 10:25 - Apr 11 by daveB

Yes it's tilted a little bit too far back towards let's get some seasoned pros in here and go for it, very little trust in the kids, and all those older players have hit the wall at the same time.

Critchley would be good, but only if you're going to stick to the development ethos.
Better but still beaten, QPR continue to unravel - Report on 10:44 - Apr 11 with 2808 viewsdaveB

Better but still beaten, QPR continue to unravel - Report on 10:32 - Apr 11 by TheChef

Yeah key injuries have not helped, but the other issue is the mental collapse; from being a win away from possible second place, the squad seemed to collectively shit the bed. And for whatever reason the manager and coaches haven't been able to fix that.

I think that Boro game was the one where we collectively shit ourselves. We haven't looked the same since that night.
Better but still beaten, QPR continue to unravel - Report on 10:51 - Apr 11 with 2767 viewsTheChef

Better but still beaten, QPR continue to unravel - Report on 10:44 - Apr 11 by daveB

I think that Boro game was the one where we collectively shit ourselves. We haven't looked the same since that night.

Ah yes, Joe Lumley passed to Willock and suddenly the hot white light of Europa League qualification appeared in the players' eyes....

Better but still beaten, QPR continue to unravel - Report on 11:11 - Apr 11 with 2714 viewsParkRoyalR

We're 5th top goalscorers, even with the lack of goals in our last 8 odd games since Blackburn away.

Willock took a heavy knock in that game and struggled the game after but its arguable if he was fully fit in the 7 games since, we would be 3rd top goalscorers, possibly even 2nd only to Fulham.

This is some achievement in an attacking unit where none of the 3 forwards typically create goals for themselves and are very much reliant on service from others.
Better but still beaten, QPR continue to unravel - Report on 11:33 - Apr 11 with 2649 viewsdaveB

Better but still beaten, QPR continue to unravel - Report on 11:11 - Apr 11 by ParkRoyalR

We're 5th top goalscorers, even with the lack of goals in our last 8 odd games since Blackburn away.

Willock took a heavy knock in that game and struggled the game after but its arguable if he was fully fit in the 7 games since, we would be 3rd top goalscorers, possibly even 2nd only to Fulham.

This is some achievement in an attacking unit where none of the 3 forwards typically create goals for themselves and are very much reliant on service from others.

Yeah maybe I'm just overly frustrated with the last few weeks, that seems fair.
Even in the last 8 games we had a lot of chances to score more goals, Amos at Forest, Gray v Peterbrough, Dozzell at the weekend. I just think we have some really good players in attacking areas like Willock, Chair even further back with Adomah, Johansen but it's felt all season they could be a lot better.
Better but still beaten, QPR continue to unravel - Report on 11:50 - Apr 11 with 2609 viewsParkRoyalR

Better but still beaten, QPR continue to unravel - Report on 11:33 - Apr 11 by daveB

Yeah maybe I'm just overly frustrated with the last few weeks, that seems fair.
Even in the last 8 games we had a lot of chances to score more goals, Amos at Forest, Gray v Peterbrough, Dozzell at the weekend. I just think we have some really good players in attacking areas like Willock, Chair even further back with Adomah, Johansen but it's felt all season they could be a lot better.

Willock has largely carried the attack this year and Chair and Dykes play so much better off him as any player would, similar to how Eze made other players (Wells, Hughill, BOS, Chair) look better.

Johansen's demise has been key in the ball not finding Willock and Chair quickly or often enough and in the absence of an in-form Johansen and even a half fit Willock, we have looked a shadow of the team in attack we were in January and before.

Warburton's undoing has been Johansen's demise, Dozell not being good enough as his under-study and a large part of his budget being tied up in two forwards who have struggled for fitness.

My only criticisms of Warburton in all of this would be not signing a Hughill type under-study for Dykes (given this is his preferred system) and in signing Gray.

Even Gray is a marginal call as has scored some key goals, but I just think with his inactivity at Watford, previous career earnings, his Mrs being a pop-star, and the arrival of young twins, getting up every morning to head out to Hayes for training wouldn't be my be all and end all.
Better but still beaten, QPR continue to unravel - Report on 11:51 - Apr 11 with 2601 viewsTheChef

Better but still beaten, QPR continue to unravel - Report on 11:50 - Apr 11 by ParkRoyalR

Willock has largely carried the attack this year and Chair and Dykes play so much better off him as any player would, similar to how Eze made other players (Wells, Hughill, BOS, Chair) look better.

Johansen's demise has been key in the ball not finding Willock and Chair quickly or often enough and in the absence of an in-form Johansen and even a half fit Willock, we have looked a shadow of the team in attack we were in January and before.

Warburton's undoing has been Johansen's demise, Dozell not being good enough as his under-study and a large part of his budget being tied up in two forwards who have struggled for fitness.

My only criticisms of Warburton in all of this would be not signing a Hughill type under-study for Dykes (given this is his preferred system) and in signing Gray.

Even Gray is a marginal call as has scored some key goals, but I just think with his inactivity at Watford, previous career earnings, his Mrs being a pop-star, and the arrival of young twins, getting up every morning to head out to Hayes for training wouldn't be my be all and end all.

"Even Gray is a marginal call as has scored some key goals, but I just think with his inactivity at Watford, previous career earnings, his Mrs being a pop-star, and the arrival of young twins, getting up every morning to head out to Hayes for training wouldn't be my be all and end all."

Where do I sign up?

Better but still beaten, QPR continue to unravel - Report on 12:01 - Apr 11 with 2576 viewsLblock

I'm still not convinced this is just the clubs decision.

My thoughts are this is the epitome of "mutual decision".

In the current guise maybe Warburton feels he's gone as far as he can and (as has happened with him before lest we forget) he doesn't want signings foisted onto him as I think the Board tried in January. He also could not be blamed for wanting yet another summer of major surgery under fairly pip squeak tight rules.

From the Board's side they would be looking at it that he's overseen a collapse of Devon Locke proportions; robbing the club of at least a swipe at returning to the gravy trough and as a minimum of £2mill to £4mill of turnover via two play off games. He's also shown a lack of decent contacts in the game and a very mixed return in the transfer market. For every Chris Willock there's a Macauly Jaffa Cake Bonne.

Moving on.....

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Better but still beaten, QPR continue to unravel - Report on 12:31 - Apr 11 with 2506 viewstoboboly

"if you were one of those people Tweeting me September/October time about how terribly unfair the loyalty point system is and that it should be scrapped well FYI this is where you accumulate them and this is why."

This, this, this. Also cup games. No fcker can complain about loyalty points and then not got to home games v Oxford and Rotherham. Bet they were there at Everton though.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Better but still beaten, QPR continue to unravel - Report on 12:46 - Apr 11 with 2456 viewsSilverfoxqpr

Amen to that, especially the last sentence. Can absolutely GUARANTEE you that somewhere around mid season next season there'll be multiple meltdown threads, hands in the air, torches ablaze whining about how the board 'didn't do enough' to keep Warbs, showed no ambition, didn't back him blah blah. Christ I fcuking hate football sometimes.
Better but still beaten, QPR continue to unravel - Report on 13:52 - Apr 11 with 2287 viewsPhildo

I think we play with two 10s as the main means of delivery to the rather immobile strikers- given our limitations at wingback which have been a problem for at least two years.

A mixture of injuries and bad luck meant we were reduced to one no 10 who can fairly easily be watched by the opposition. We tried to sign another 10 as cover in January and could not get the bloke through the door - Hendrick was a last minute signing who they probably thought would be a senior head to try and guide them through as nothing else came off.

The manager was also keen to get a centre half in which may have been due to the sports science telling him the current three were breaking down or over flogged.

If there is a criticism I think it is the money spent on Charlie Austin might have been pointed at better wing backs but I was one of those who was desperate to sign Charlie after his impact last year so hard to blame the manager there.

We really do look like we need a sell on fee from Eze this summer as I am not sure there is going to be much in the way of sale fees coming in this summer. I think the manager did a good job of working with what we had - but ran out of luck with key injuries together with some loss of form in others.

If we lose Barbet and Willock next year I think we will have to look at a different style to try and accommodate what we have and it may be more direct.
Better but still beaten, QPR continue to unravel - Report on 14:28 - Apr 11 with 2194 viewsParkRoyalR

Better but still beaten, QPR continue to unravel - Report on 13:52 - Apr 11 by Phildo

I think we play with two 10s as the main means of delivery to the rather immobile strikers- given our limitations at wingback which have been a problem for at least two years.

A mixture of injuries and bad luck meant we were reduced to one no 10 who can fairly easily be watched by the opposition. We tried to sign another 10 as cover in January and could not get the bloke through the door - Hendrick was a last minute signing who they probably thought would be a senior head to try and guide them through as nothing else came off.

The manager was also keen to get a centre half in which may have been due to the sports science telling him the current three were breaking down or over flogged.

If there is a criticism I think it is the money spent on Charlie Austin might have been pointed at better wing backs but I was one of those who was desperate to sign Charlie after his impact last year so hard to blame the manager there.

We really do look like we need a sell on fee from Eze this summer as I am not sure there is going to be much in the way of sale fees coming in this summer. I think the manager did a good job of working with what we had - but ran out of luck with key injuries together with some loss of form in others.

If we lose Barbet and Willock next year I think we will have to look at a different style to try and accommodate what we have and it may be more direct.

Good post,

I hope I am wrong but I've thought for some time Warburton's undoing will be Austin.

Warburton may have been forced into the Austin signing due to the unfortunate circumstances / results at the time with Dykes & Bonne being reliant on lets just say inconsistent service from BOS & Chair and Willock needing the pre-season to get up to Championship speed.

Timing was all wrong for Warburton then and I fear it could be now. Just always found it very strange how Austin sat out those 15 minutes in the Ellerslie Road Stand without so much as a comment from Warburton.

Just could'nt imagine say Bonne pulling that stunt without Warburton going full Todd Kane on him. Also praising Austin as being a great professional when we are looking at a player who looks out of condition, who's double -jobbing and set a questionable example to the younger pro's during that sit-in.

All very very strange and I hope I'm wrong and they keep faith in Warburton, as imo, he's fully deserving of their trust.
Better but still beaten, QPR continue to unravel - Report on 14:44 - Apr 11 with 2145 viewsParkRoyalR

Better but still beaten, QPR continue to unravel - Report on 14:28 - Apr 11 by ParkRoyalR

Good post,

I hope I am wrong but I've thought for some time Warburton's undoing will be Austin.

Warburton may have been forced into the Austin signing due to the unfortunate circumstances / results at the time with Dykes & Bonne being reliant on lets just say inconsistent service from BOS & Chair and Willock needing the pre-season to get up to Championship speed.

Timing was all wrong for Warburton then and I fear it could be now. Just always found it very strange how Austin sat out those 15 minutes in the Ellerslie Road Stand without so much as a comment from Warburton.

Just could'nt imagine say Bonne pulling that stunt without Warburton going full Todd Kane on him. Also praising Austin as being a great professional when we are looking at a player who looks out of condition, who's double -jobbing and set a questionable example to the younger pro's during that sit-in.

All very very strange and I hope I'm wrong and they keep faith in Warburton, as imo, he's fully deserving of their trust.

And this post was'nt meant as a dig at Austin, which I'm rightly accused of over-doing, just feel something isn't right behind the scenes and this is the one incident I can't get my head around.

Upgrading Ball with Field I get,
Bringing in Hendrick when SJ is struggling and Dozzell (and arguably Amos) are not stepping up I get,
Sanderson with his pace I get,
The Swansea No 10 I get (with Chair going off to AFCON etc),
Gray I did'nt get but arguably Warburton got that right when you compare his goals return to say Nakki Wells,
I thought like most we needed another Forward but we were free scoring at the time of the window so maybe Warburton again had that right,

So I'm only coming back to that Ellerslie Road incident as its without precedent and even more so in that Warburton did'nt even pass comment.
Better but still beaten, QPR continue to unravel - Report on 15:29 - Apr 11 with 2036 viewsdaveB

Better but still beaten, QPR continue to unravel - Report on 14:28 - Apr 11 by ParkRoyalR

Good post,

I thought Warburton did comment on it at the time saying he spoke to Charlie privately and they sorted things out behind closed doors.

Mind you before that incident Charlie had started 6 of the previous 8 games and since then he's started just 3 times i think (I know he missed a few weeks with covid but been on the bench for most other games) so I wouldn't be surprised if Warburton was more annoyed than he made out publicly.

I don't think Austin will be his undoing though, it's not as if without him in the side we've been any good.
Better but still beaten, QPR continue to unravel - Report on 15:50 - Apr 11 with 1985 viewsParkRoyalR

Better but still beaten, QPR continue to unravel - Report on 15:29 - Apr 11 by daveB

I thought Warburton did comment on it at the time saying he spoke to Charlie privately and they sorted things out behind closed doors.

Mind you before that incident Charlie had started 6 of the previous 8 games and since then he's started just 3 times i think (I know he missed a few weeks with covid but been on the bench for most other games) so I wouldn't be surprised if Warburton was more annoyed than he made out publicly.

I don't think Austin will be his undoing though, it's not as if without him in the side we've been any good.

By those stats that's 3 starts in 19 games for Austin since that incident (if I'm correct in recalling it was Rotherham game) and 6 in 8 immediately prior.

And how many of those 3 starts came due to rotation (eg Peterborough Away in FA Cup) and / or injuries to Dykes and Gray.

Plus going out of his way to talk positively about his professionalism seems a bit odd (eg why would we be thinking otherwise and why feel the need to say this?) then starting Chair ahead of him as 2nd Striker, all just seems very odd (and I'm far from a conspiracy theorist type).

Anyway, hope they give him more time as the drop-off in form of Austin & SJ could'nt have been predicted by anyone and has been a very important factor this season, given injuries to Willock and Dykes.
Better but still beaten, QPR continue to unravel - Report on 16:00 - Apr 11 with 1954 viewsMyke

I think a factor that Hoos/Ferdinand would be more aware of is that Warburton is a very wealthy man and from a financial perspective doesn't need the job . So therefore he is not motivated by anything except a desire to succeed. Having 'failed' this season (the unspoken, but obvious target being the play-offs), doe he still have the hunger to try again? I don't believe there will be any dramatic sacking. Like L Block, I believe whatever decision is made will be mutual. One of the 3 options Hoos put forward is that they will shake hands and take a step back before making a decision. That to me means a measured consultation with the main stake-holders involved, including Warburton. Is he still up for the challenge? If not on a day -to-day basis, could he move 'upstairs' in an advisory capacity and let Eustace have a go?

Remember, whoever gets the job will have Austin and SJ on the books and trying to get value for money out of them in their final season, will be an even bigger ask than this season (unless they do a Junior Hoilett on it). Whoever is in charge has a big task on their hands - what a difference 12 months makes on so many levels.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024