Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Season preview 22/23 — Mid-table 07:27 - Jul 26 with 3192 viewsNorthernr

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/58051
Season preview 22/23 — Mid-table on 09:57 - Jul 26 with 2777 viewsterryb

I'm impressed by the list of players that have left Blackburn. Everyone of them is double-barrelled!

Come on West Ham, you know they want you to sign their South American before Saturday!
Season preview 22/23 — Mid-table on 11:11 - Jul 26 with 2598 viewsSnipper

I think you’re right about Luton for this season. You can’t help but admire what they’ve done, and keep doing. Those two strikers are inspired signings.

I love reading your in depth reviews for all the teams. It gives us a better insight for what we’re possibly up against. One thing what does hit home though, the previews of these other teams shows up our lack of signings thus far. Especially in the strikers department.

We have improved with the calibre of players we recruit, but we’re still a way off Luton, or indeed Millwall in picking up very shrewd signings.
Season preview 22/23 — Mid-table on 11:33 - Jul 26 with 2559 viewsNorthernr

Season preview 22/23 — Mid-table on 11:11 - Jul 26 by Snipper

I think you’re right about Luton for this season. You can’t help but admire what they’ve done, and keep doing. Those two strikers are inspired signings.

I love reading your in depth reviews for all the teams. It gives us a better insight for what we’re possibly up against. One thing what does hit home though, the previews of these other teams shows up our lack of signings thus far. Especially in the strikers department.

We have improved with the calibre of players we recruit, but we’re still a way off Luton, or indeed Millwall in picking up very shrewd signings.

Everybody's circumstances are different of course. This time last year if you were Millwall, Bristol City etc you'd have been looking at us doing Field, Dunne, Dozzell, Gray, Austin, Johansen, Moses etc and thinking 'fck they mean business this year'.

We'll make signings, it's QPR, we love making signings. There's five weeks of window left, we're looking mainly at loans this year, loans tend to be done at the end of the window. I find the needy boys belting the club about it every day so cringe. And people saying we need at least two strikers, two more midfielders, two full backs and a centre back to even be competitive. Welllllllll sht mate, you're going to have to make do with fractionally less than that, life's a shtter. Same every year.

Where I do get slightly aggy is when you see players like Jack Rudoni, Perry Ng, Ryan Wintle and Kane Wilson moving to clubs with the same budget restrictions as us, for fees we can afford, in positions we do need players, at prices we can afford, while we're busy trying to beg a loan deal. That's not good enough.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Season preview 22/23 — Mid-table on 11:59 - Jul 26 with 2471 viewsTK1

Season preview 22/23 — Mid-table on 11:33 - Jul 26 by Northernr

Everybody's circumstances are different of course. This time last year if you were Millwall, Bristol City etc you'd have been looking at us doing Field, Dunne, Dozzell, Gray, Austin, Johansen, Moses etc and thinking 'fck they mean business this year'.

We'll make signings, it's QPR, we love making signings. There's five weeks of window left, we're looking mainly at loans this year, loans tend to be done at the end of the window. I find the needy boys belting the club about it every day so cringe. And people saying we need at least two strikers, two more midfielders, two full backs and a centre back to even be competitive. Welllllllll sht mate, you're going to have to make do with fractionally less than that, life's a shtter. Same every year.

Where I do get slightly aggy is when you see players like Jack Rudoni, Perry Ng, Ryan Wintle and Kane Wilson moving to clubs with the same budget restrictions as us, for fees we can afford, in positions we do need players, at prices we can afford, while we're busy trying to beg a loan deal. That's not good enough.

This post has been edited by an administrator

That's a very broad whip you're using there on the club. All very different players. Jack Rudoni, for example: can we *really* afford £850k this particular summer on a 21 year old who's never played at this level? That's a big investment in a kid. Is a loan move with option to buy of Tyler Roberts not a much smarter move for the same position? Slightly older, played at a much higher level for far longer, if it doesn't work we don't have to offload. We've signed plenty of Rudonis over the years and there's no guarantee they can step up. Let's see. I see those signings as all massively risky as there's no value if you get it wrong.
Season preview 22/23 — Mid-table on 12:17 - Jul 26 with 2406 viewsHunterhoop

Season preview 22/23 — Mid-table on 11:59 - Jul 26 by TK1

That's a very broad whip you're using there on the club. All very different players. Jack Rudoni, for example: can we *really* afford £850k this particular summer on a 21 year old who's never played at this level? That's a big investment in a kid. Is a loan move with option to buy of Tyler Roberts not a much smarter move for the same position? Slightly older, played at a much higher level for far longer, if it doesn't work we don't have to offload. We've signed plenty of Rudonis over the years and there's no guarantee they can step up. Let's see. I see those signings as all massively risky as there's no value if you get it wrong.

Agree. Very good point. The Roberts and Richards signings are shrewd in my view. Decent amount of matches under their belt; the view to a perm deal means they’re incentivised; if they succeed we have first dibs; if they don’t, we don’t have a bad player sitting on our books for 2-3 years taking up valuable salary space; they’re young so with potential upside meaning they may outperform their salary.

WBA are taking the reverse approach and paying big salaries for high performing, known quantities in Swift and Wallace. You can do that with money, which we don’t have (neither to WBA really, the gamblers!).

But for clubs like us, M’wall, Luton, Preston, you have to take the view that it’s about signing players who have the potential to put perform the salary you’ve given then, whilst locking in the good players so you can sell them, whilst minimising your risk of being locked into the players who don’t turn out to be good enough. It’s very difficult.
Season preview 22/23 — Mid-table on 12:21 - Jul 26 with 2399 viewsNorthernr

Season preview 22/23 — Mid-table on 11:59 - Jul 26 by TK1

I thought I was being broadly supportive of the club tbh.
Season preview 22/23 — Mid-table on 12:35 - Jul 26 with 2332 viewscpgerber

I saw quite a bit of Zian Flemming this past season and thought that he would be exactly the type of player we would love to have, but would never get for all sorts of reasons. Typically those players end up at lower-half top-flight clubs in e.g. France and Germany, or better clubs in Belgium. Never thought he would "settle" for a "2nd division" club.

Can't help but envy M'wall for signing him.
Season preview 22/23 — Mid-table on 12:38 - Jul 26 with 2314 viewsBrianMcCarthy

With the signings we miss out on, and I mean the ones we really miss out on like Twine not the ones that we'd just like to have, I wonder if there's a personality/ethics element to some of them.

It might be another aspect.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Season preview 22/23 — Mid-table on 13:58 - Jul 26 with 2093 viewsTK1

Season preview 22/23 — Mid-table on 12:21 - Jul 26 by Northernr

I thought I was being broadly supportive of the club tbh.

You were/are supportive. "That's not good enough" is a bit head teacher though, and we don't know yet whether it's true or not. It might well be good enough to have not forked out 2/3 million quid on unproven Rudoni and Twine - for example - rather than loan fees for Richards and Roberts employed in similar positions. Then again, you might right and I'm being a bit tight picking on one line in your excellent preview - but it's just that thing you see on Twitter, the "we should be all over that player" brigade (not something you actually do) I'm always mindful that for every Rob Dickie, there's at least one Jordan Cousins and Conor Washington.
Season preview 22/23 — Mid-table on 16:18 - Jul 26 with 1801 viewsderbyhoop

The obvious rider, and it has been touched on, is that there are still 5 weeks of the transfer window left. Clubs like Coventry, Swansea, Blackburn could look considerably worse - if they lose key strikers. Meanwhile, parachute payments continue to distort the picture and, if those in receipt of that money, go out and poach a decent striker from the clubs without then they could well finish higher than predicted.

I also note that, with Sunderland predicted to finish 16th, we won't be picking our usual place.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Season preview 22/23 — Mid-table on 16:22 - Jul 26 with 1789 viewsNorthernr

Season preview 22/23 — Mid-table on 16:18 - Jul 26 by derbyhoop

The obvious rider, and it has been touched on, is that there are still 5 weeks of the transfer window left. Clubs like Coventry, Swansea, Blackburn could look considerably worse - if they lose key strikers. Meanwhile, parachute payments continue to distort the picture and, if those in receipt of that money, go out and poach a decent striker from the clubs without then they could well finish higher than predicted.

I also note that, with Sunderland predicted to finish 16th, we won't be picking our usual place.

(TBH I only swapped them over with us yesterday because I saw a load of QPR fans pile into another preview that had us 16th, and I wanted to say "see told ya so" to you lot who were so sure I'd have us there )
Season preview 22/23 — Mid-table on 18:16 - Jul 26 with 1532 viewssimmo

Season preview 22/23 — Mid-table on 13:58 - Jul 26 by TK1

You were/are supportive. "That's not good enough" is a bit head teacher though, and we don't know yet whether it's true or not. It might well be good enough to have not forked out 2/3 million quid on unproven Rudoni and Twine - for example - rather than loan fees for Richards and Roberts employed in similar positions. Then again, you might right and I'm being a bit tight picking on one line in your excellent preview - but it's just that thing you see on Twitter, the "we should be all over that player" brigade (not something you actually do) I'm always mindful that for every Rob Dickie, there's at least one Jordan Cousins and Conor Washington.

Firstly I really like Roberts and Richards as signings, but I think somewhere between the Charlie Kelman 'he's got potential so let's grab him early and see where we are in 2 years' and Albert Adomah 'we have to wait until he's old because we didn't pay 50p for him when he was at Harrow', there exists a measured risk.

Whilst I don't endorse the social media noise about signing anybody with a Gold Fifa Card, we should absolutely be making big efforts to sign players that fit our 'ideal player profile'.

- 23 or under
- Close to or over 100 pro appearances
- A position we need
- Not blocking the path of a similar young player in the same position
- Within our budget and wage structure
- Relative market value for position - e.g. attackers are at a premium

If someone ticks all these boxes, we should go for them. Even if they don't become what we expect, the upside far outweighs the down and they have the re-sell value to offset the loss. It's also more likely that they can realise their potential working with an excellent developmental coach - which we of course have.

Also you mentioned Jack Rudoni and IMO that's the most obvious recent example of this - he ticks all these boxes (was actually only 21 this summer) but he is also a relatively local lad and follows on from Scott Twine having a v similar profile, so it makes that one worth highlighting.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024