Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This World Cup 17:50 - Dec 9 with 1499 viewswelwynranger

The gift that keeps on giving.
That's why we love this beautiful game
This World Cup on 18:38 - Dec 9 with 1390 viewsE17hoop

I strongly recommend the latest Science of Sport podcast which goes into penalties in brilliant and entertaining detail:
https://podcasts.apple.com/za/podcast/the-real-science-of-sport-podcast/id146171

The whole podcast is great but penalties are about 24 minutes in.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Championship Playoffs - who's going up?

This World Cup on 21:06 - Dec 9 with 1220 viewswelwynranger

Told ya
This World Cup on 23:47 - Dec 9 with 1099 viewsBrianMcCarthy

This World Cup on 18:38 - Dec 9 by E17hoop

I strongly recommend the latest Science of Sport podcast which goes into penalties in brilliant and entertaining detail:
https://podcasts.apple.com/za/podcast/the-real-science-of-sport-podcast/id146171

The whole podcast is great but penalties are about 24 minutes in.

Lovely. Thanks E17.

I'm doing a lot of research on this for four reasons:

1) I'm a nerd
2) I hate the idea put forward by people like Mick McCarthy that penos are 'a lottery' and that 'you can't practice them'
3) They are now a huge part of Gaelic Football, which I coach, and
4) I'm still a nerd

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

This World Cup on 01:24 - Dec 10 with 1040 viewskensalriser

This World Cup on 23:47 - Dec 9 by BrianMcCarthy

Lovely. Thanks E17.

I'm doing a lot of research on this for four reasons:

1) I'm a nerd
2) I hate the idea put forward by people like Mick McCarthy that penos are 'a lottery' and that 'you can't practice them'
3) They are now a huge part of Gaelic Football, which I coach, and
4) I'm still a nerd

Penalties strike me as one of the most straightforward things to practice. Only two players involved and a limited number of known variables.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

This World Cup on 05:00 - Dec 10 with 991 viewsPlanetHonneywood

This World Cup on 01:24 - Dec 10 by kensalriser

Penalties strike me as one of the most straightforward things to practice. Only two players involved and a limited number of known variables.

Did the science boffs deal with how you replicate the intense pressure of penalties in a training, especially as each taker's confidence, mental, and physical fatigue will be unknown at the time? Bit like exams, you can know the subject well, but hopeless under pressure.

Thought the Dutch keeper moved way to quickly, giving the taker an opportunity to hit it the other way. He also seemed to only move along the goalline. In contrast, the Argie keeper seemed to wait and narrow the angle really well.

Still think there's a bit of a lottery element to it, and the keeper who can wait the longest before diving has the better chance of guessing correctly.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024