Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stanley's 11 Goals in The Uefa Cup 23:41 - Sep 30 with 2001 viewsBrianMcCarthy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UEFA_Cup_and_Europa_League_top_scorers#Top

I always thought that Stan broke the record for most Uefa Cup goals in a season and held it for years, no?

Not according to this witchcraft.
What's going on?
Sort it out?
etc.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Stanley's 11 Goals in The Uefa Cup on 23:43 - Sep 30 with 1993 viewsNov77

It was the most by a British player up to that point, he broke Dennis Law’s record.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Stanley's 11 Goals in The Uefa Cup on 10:52 - Oct 1 with 1791 viewsjohncharles

Stanley's 11 Goals in The Uefa Cup on 23:43 - Sep 30 by Nov77

It was the most by a British player up to that point, he broke Dennis Law’s record.

Breaking any Dennis Law scoring record is pretty impressive in itself 😃

Strong and stable my arse.

Stanley's 11 Goals in The Uefa Cup on 11:12 - Oct 1 with 1770 viewssystemsguy

That was the season Stan bet Malcolm McDonald £500 who would score most goals between them....

Sadly the 11 didn't count as Big Mac and Arsenal weren't in Europe that season....

Stan did the usual and lost

2022/2023.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

Stanley's 11 Goals in The Uefa Cup on 12:14 - Oct 1 with 1721 viewslightwaterhoop

I went to all the home Uefa Cup games that season even though i was still at school and have great memories of them especially the Athens game when we all thought we were going through, a Greek Cypriot friend of mine came with me and spent most of the game chanting for Enosis [union with Greece] as long as Rangers won.
Stanley's 11 Goals in The Uefa Cup on 12:22 - Oct 1 with 1708 viewsQPRSteve

My memory of the AEK match was that we were 3-0 up at HT. A torrential downpour that started during the break made the pitch pretty much unplayable in the second half which kept the score down. We would have slaughtered them otherwise.
Stanley's 11 Goals in The Uefa Cup on 13:16 - Oct 1 with 1665 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Stanley's 11 Goals in The Uefa Cup on 23:43 - Sep 30 by Nov77

Dammit!

Stanley's 11 Goals in The Uefa Cup on 13:34 - Oct 1 with 1644 viewsCamberleyR

Stan had the British record which John Wark broke in the 1980-81 UEFA Cup which Ipswich went on to win.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2023 13:36]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Stanley's 11 Goals in The Uefa Cup on 17:05 - Oct 1 with 1549 viewsSteveB

His name is Stan to the QPR faithful not Stanley. If you were there in the 70's then you would know. I love that we have named a stand after him, but it's wrong. He is Stan Bowles,
that should be the Stand name. Just my opinion.

[Post edited 1 Oct 2023 17:09]
Login to get fewer ads

Stanley's 11 Goals in The Uefa Cup on 17:47 - Oct 1 with 1509 viewsfrancisbowles

Stanley's 11 Goals in The Uefa Cup on 17:05 - Oct 1 by SteveB

His name is Stan to the QPR faithful not Stanley. If you were there in the 70's then you would know. I love that we have named a stand after him, but it's wrong. He is Stan Bowles,

Would've saved a few bob on the letters.🙄
Stanley's 11 Goals in The Uefa Cup on 18:08 - Oct 1 with 1474 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Fair point, Steve. I usually refer to him as Stan.

I've been lucky enough to meet the man loads of times. I saw him play for us when I was a nipper in the 70's and my Dad knew him a small bit, I got to know him better in Wembley in the late 80's as he was friends with a lad who had a vegetable stall outside The Village Inn in Wembley which my parents ran for a while, met him again many times when my family moved their business up to Burnt Oak and we'd meet him there sometimes.

Can't say I ever overcame my shyness enough to really befriend him, but I get your point: it was always 'Stan' back then.

Stanley's 11 Goals in The Uefa Cup on 18:22 - Oct 1 with 1439 viewsstainrods_elbow

True enough, but he was/is Stanley to himself.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/mar/08/stan-bowles-qpr-alzheimers-memo

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Stanley's 11 Goals in The Uefa Cup on 19:23 - Oct 1 with 1402 viewsGhost_on_the_Westway

Stanley's 11 Goals in The Uefa Cup on 18:22 - Oct 1 by stainrods_elbow

True enough, but he was/is Stanley to himself.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/mar/08/stan-bowles-qpr-alzheimers-memo

I beg to differ, Mr Grauniad Journo. The winner at Leicester in 75/76 was a 25 yard screamer from Dave Thomas.
I was there - my (Chiswick) school mate’s Dad took us both up there straight from school.
I can still see Dave faking to go to the wing, cutting back inside and BANG!
A happy day at school the next day, especially as my mate was a Leicester fan.

So …. who else was there?
Stanley's 11 Goals in The Uefa Cup on 00:33 - Oct 2 with 1294 viewsNov77

the club did say at the time that the reason they used “Stanley” was because Stan’s family had directly requested they do.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Stanley's 11 Goals in The Uefa Cup on 00:40 - Oct 2 with 1293 viewsNov77

This thread reminded of one of the more bizarre and frankly unbelievable European records we hold.

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/0237-0e9660ddc18e-72d61b915cd6-100

We’ve racked up so many shitty unwanted records lately, at least we won’t have a chance to ruin this particular record in the near future.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024