Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Snow chains / socks 19:53 - Dec 3 with 2013 viewsLlanranger

So last night we got into a few problems when the weather was way more severe than forecast. Thankfully we were rescued after sliding sideways downhill by a late night Land Rover driver out playing who towed us home. When I got home I checked out snow chains. It's only the second time in over 30 years of living in Wales I've got caught out so a bit reluctant to lash out loads of cash. Prices are less than a tenner to more than 100!. But snow socks kept popping up as an alternative. Apparently wear out quick, but easy to fit and get you out of a problem. Loads cheaper. So, those of you into cars and stuff, any advice? Just to give you an idea of the level to pitch this at, I've got two cars. One is white with four wheels and the other is black with four wheels...
Snow chains / socks on 20:11 - Dec 3 with 1938 viewsRanger_Things

In an emergency large zip ties will give you traction and get you home but they will wear away when you drive on bare tarmac. I think they now make specific zip ties for snow but I haven’t used them. Probably only good for emergency situations as I can’t imagine they’d be much stronger than zip ties.
Snow chains do exactly what they say on the tin but decent ones are pricey, especially if they aren’t getting regular use. I haven’t used the sock thingys.
Snow chains / socks on 20:21 - Dec 3 with 1893 viewsLlanranger

Snow chains / socks on 20:11 - Dec 3 by Ranger_Things

In an emergency large zip ties will give you traction and get you home but they will wear away when you drive on bare tarmac. I think they now make specific zip ties for snow but I haven’t used them. Probably only good for emergency situations as I can’t imagine they’d be much stronger than zip ties.
Snow chains do exactly what they say on the tin but decent ones are pricey, especially if they aren’t getting regular use. I haven’t used the sock thingys.

Thanks. Weather is still bad. Not leaving the village anytime soon!
Snow chains / socks on 20:29 - Dec 3 with 1859 viewsJimmyR

Chains are real f*ckers to get on, you can get winter/snow tires. The zip ties mentioned sound good never heard of or seen them
Snow chains / socks on 20:32 - Dec 3 with 1847 viewsqpr_1968

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Snow chains / socks on 20:33 - Dec 3 with 1843 viewsqpr_1968

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Snow chains / socks on 20:46 - Dec 3 with 1796 viewsSonofpugwash

Snow you say?

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Snow chains / socks on 22:10 - Dec 3 with 1610 viewsBoston

"One is white with four wheels and the other is black with four wheels." All you're missing is 'drive'.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Snow chains / socks on 12:24 - Dec 4 with 1376 viewsJuzzie

Loved my Mitsubishi Pajero (SWB version) in the snow. It hand brand new BFGoodrich A/T (mud+snow compliant) tyres on and they were the bollox. Hoofing it around Regents Park outer circle without a soul in sight. They had so much grip I really had to kick-down to get any form of traction breaking.

If you live in a rural area that's likely to suffer more than most, maybe invest in a set of steel wheels with winter (mud+snow) tyres. Put them on around late October then put the more usual wheels & tyres back on end of March (or thereabouts).
Login to get fewer ads

Snow chains / socks on 12:55 - Dec 4 with 1322 viewsbosh67

Ah okay, when I saw the title of this thread 'Snow chains / socks' I thought it was a fetish subject. As it is not I have nothing to add.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024