Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rule changes 14:28 - Jun 11 with 2559 viewsJames_W12

Back in 1995 (scary) I traveled up to Ewood Park to watch our season opener against then champions Blackburn. We lost 1-0 but should have had at least a draw after Trevor Sinclair got clean through late on, rounded the onrushing Bobby Mimms but got brought down outside the box.

Mimms was of course sent off but we only got a free-kick which we did nothing with.

I've never quite recovered from the injustice of that day and pose the question - should all professional fouls result in a penalty?

To take it further, should all red cards result in a penalty as, more often than not, the extra man can make very little difference especially if the foul (maybe causing serious injury) is late in the game.

It could have righted a wrong that day but could also have made quite a big difference to this season's play-off final.
Rule changes on 15:09 - Jun 11 with 2465 viewsrrrspricey

1Not a bad rule change imo, may make people think twice but as you say, if Derby would have been given a pen for a “professional” foul (hate that term) would O’Neil have brought down Russell?

1 — 0 down and down to 10 men that day = game over and we’d be facing another year in the Championship!

Personally I’d rather any rule changes fight the the cheating, diving twunts that ruin the game
Rule changes on 15:38 - Jun 11 with 2431 viewssaxbend

The change I'd like to see most would be the classification of simulation of professional fouls as professional fouls themselves. If you try to get a player sent off by simulation you should be sent off. If you simulate in order to create a goalscoring opportunity (e.g. a penalty or close range free kick) then that is the same as a foul that denies one. Any dive inside the box should be a red card therefore and so should any dive in proximity to the last man, as should a deliverate attempt to gain contol of the ball in the box or score by the means of handball.

I know that the argument against it is that dismissal of attacking players make the game less exciting but I have two points with which to refute that.

1) no such dispensation is given to attacking players facing red cards for any other reason.

2) the lack of real accountability for those who simulate professional fouls does far more damage and to more matches.

Yellow cards would still be the appropriate response for all other dives.
[Post edited 11 Jun 2014 15:40]
Rule changes on 16:54 - Jun 11 with 2337 viewsQPR_John

The game is simple, one of its plus points, so let's not complicate it. A penalty is given for a foul in the penalty area. The same applies to the suggestion of a penalty goal.
Rule changes on 19:27 - Jun 11 with 2265 viewsHayesender

Talking of ewood park, what year was the game when the whole away end chanted "we hate Hackett, you fat cnt"?

Better than the paul ince is a w@$ker imo

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Rule changes on 20:03 - Jun 11 with 2233 viewsOakR

Rule changes on 19:27 - Jun 11 by Hayesender

Talking of ewood park, what year was the game when the whole away end chanted "we hate Hackett, you fat cnt"?

Better than the paul ince is a w@$ker imo

That reminded me of people singing Ian Wright is a W"£$er when he was playing for Burnley. 20 minutes later he'd scored a hat-trick.

Poll: Will we stay up?

Rule changes on 20:07 - Jun 11 with 2224 viewsloftboy

Rule changes on 20:03 - Jun 11 by OakR

That reminded me of people singing Ian Wright is a W"£$er when he was playing for Burnley. 20 minutes later he'd scored a hat-trick.

Andy cole even

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Rule changes on 20:19 - Jun 11 with 2211 viewskingsburyR

Rule changes on 20:07 - Jun 11 by loftboy

Andy cole even

Playing for Forest

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Rule changes on 20:27 - Jun 11 with 2192 viewsTearsOfaClown

So that means Derby should have had a penalty and we would perhaps have not won.

A more blatant foul such as you describe happened in the World Cup... Brazil vs France 1986 - Carlos Foul on Bellone

Login to get fewer ads

Rule changes on 20:28 - Jun 11 with 2191 viewsPlumsteadQPR

Rule changes on 20:19 - Jun 11 by kingsburyR

Playing for Forest

No - he was def playing for Burnley. Think we were 2-0
Up, lost 2-3.
Rule changes on 20:41 - Jun 11 with 2179 viewsClive_Anderson

Rule changes on 20:27 - Jun 11 by TearsOfaClown

So that means Derby should have had a penalty and we would perhaps have not won.

A more blatant foul such as you describe happened in the World Cup... Brazil vs France 1986 - Carlos Foul on Bellone

Wow never seen that before, probably one of the worst decisions I've ever seen.

Watching that clip, how much more exciting was football in those days? More happened in those two minutes than most games in the last World Cup.
Rule changes on 21:18 - Jun 11 with 2154 viewsToast_R

Shocker by the Romanian ref. Probably the best wold cup game I ever watched that one. Zico's penalty miss before the shoot out was dramatic. Scored one in the shoot out that followed and Platini skied his after Socrates blew his before Julio Cesar hit the post allowing Louie Fernandez settled it.

No wonder the French were f*cked for their semi final. If you ever get the chance, watch Hero story of Mexico 86 narrated by Michael Cain. Can get it youtube. Really good feature on that France Brazil quarter final.
Rule changes on 22:14 - Jun 11 with 2108 viewsthemodfather

we have so many rules for POOR refs to poorly implement!
technology is there, use it....
refs need help and the assistants do little, why?

sepp twitter today tried to garner support by talking of teams being able to use appeals, like in cricket....this was the man who opposed goal line technology until mr lampards "goal" v germany and the media lambasting over it.

i expect many many terrible refs and worse decisions especially in any england game, we do get em....to this day i can't believe the ref and linesman missed maradona's cheating hand of god and were not openly criticised by fifa for missing the biggest cheat in sports history....hey ho...
maybe that goal in 66 never helped our cause again, but there we go...
Rule changes on 23:23 - Jun 11 with 2045 viewseastside_r

In response to the OP, I am fairly sure it was Tim 'Timmy' Flowers who was the Blackburn keeper / culprit that day.

Could be wrong, but it was a lot of brain cells ago.
Rule changes on 23:35 - Jun 11 with 2030 viewsCamberleyR

Rule changes on 23:23 - Jun 11 by eastside_r

In response to the OP, I am fairly sure it was Tim 'Timmy' Flowers who was the Blackburn keeper / culprit that day.

Could be wrong, but it was a lot of brain cells ago.

"I am fairly sure it was Tim 'Timmy' Flowers who was the Blackburn keeper / culprit that day. Could be wrong, but it was a lot of brain cells ago."

I was also there that day and it was definitely Flowers who hacked Sinclair down just outside the area.

As a side note if I remember correctly, we lined up that day 1-11 even though squad numbers were in operation.

1. Roberts
2. Bardsley
3. Brevett
4. Barker
5. McDonald
6. Maddix
7. Impey
8. Holloway
9. Dichio
10. Gallen
11. Sinclair

When you look at that team it is faintly ridiculous that we managed to get relegated that season.
[Post edited 11 Jun 2014 23:37]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Rule changes on 23:38 - Jun 11 with 2027 viewsMatch82

On the penalty/red card thing I've always thought that was odd.

If you're awarding a penalty, I find it hard to see how you can send someone off for "denying a clear goalscoring opportunity"
Rule changes on 00:01 - Jun 12 with 2014 viewsSydneyRs

Rule changes on 16:54 - Jun 11 by QPR_John

The game is simple, one of its plus points, so let's not complicate it. A penalty is given for a foul in the penalty area. The same applies to the suggestion of a penalty goal.

Handball on the goal line should be a penalty goal. Totally unfair on the attacking side to have to take a penalty that may be saved or missed.

The simulation thing is harder but I strongly believe there should be retrospective suspensions based on video evidence. This works well in sports here such as Aussie Rules Football and Rugby League. A judiciary meets each week, views the evidence and either clears the players or hands down suspensions based on the offence.

The thought of missing two or three games if caught diving might focus the minds of the cheats a bit.

I'm also all for a red card for blatant diving.
Rule changes on 03:16 - Jun 12 with 1974 viewsFelix_QPR

Rule changes on 00:01 - Jun 12 by SydneyRs

Handball on the goal line should be a penalty goal. Totally unfair on the attacking side to have to take a penalty that may be saved or missed.

The simulation thing is harder but I strongly believe there should be retrospective suspensions based on video evidence. This works well in sports here such as Aussie Rules Football and Rugby League. A judiciary meets each week, views the evidence and either clears the players or hands down suspensions based on the offence.

The thought of missing two or three games if caught diving might focus the minds of the cheats a bit.

I'm also all for a red card for blatant diving.

Handball on the goal line = certain goal

therefore should be awarded as a goal as in "goal tending"
Rule changes on 06:08 - Jun 12 with 1946 viewswestberksr

Rule changes on 20:07 - Jun 11 by loftboy

Andy cole even

This, Andy Cole for Burnley. Midweek game that we lost 4-2, Cole was getting slaughtered and buried us for it, had a great game.

Ian wright scored for florist in a draw iirc.
Rule changes on 10:13 - Jun 12 with 1865 viewsClive_Anderson

Rule changes on 03:16 - Jun 12 by Felix_QPR

Handball on the goal line = certain goal

therefore should be awarded as a goal as in "goal tending"

Nah the ball has to go into the goal for it to count. You get a penalty and a sending off and that should be enough.

If we'd had a penalty goal for handball on the line we would have missed the most exciting moment of the last World Cup.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024