Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Book to read... 22:12 - Jan 9 with 8868 viewsYorkRanger

Currently reading The Nowhere Men by Malcolm Calvin, story about the scouting system in football. Highly recommended. Interesting reference to Matty Phillips in it, Dave Bassett reported on a Blackpool game v Watford saying he had played well but not sure he would make it to the very top......
Book to read... on 15:47 - Feb 22 with 2681 viewsDorse

Book to read... on 23:49 - Jan 9 by Metallica_Hoop

Reading Simon Sebag Montefiore's 'Jerusalem' at home
And Max Hastings 'Catastrophe' at work.

Enjoying both immensely. (you have to enjoy history though obviously)

Really enjoyed 'The Religion' by Tim Willocks. It's a couple of years old now but still a thumping good read. He's just penned a follow up which is currently on my to-do list. Along with Gillian Anderson.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Book to read... on 18:45 - Feb 22 with 2626 viewsGilligan

I quite liked Nowhere Men but I couldn't believe how little mention there was of QPR and especially Steve Gallen in the Raheem Sterling story
Book to read... on 19:47 - Feb 22 with 2599 viewskysersosaqpr

Reading "Sapiens" by Yuval Harari. A history of mankind (in how we evolved). Recommend.

One bit wrong though is that it clearly states that a meteor wiped out the dinosaurs - yet some of em turned up in Paris last week!!!

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Book to read... on 08:55 - Feb 23 with 2521 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Just finished 'Empire of the Summer Moon' By S C Gwynne.

It's all about Quanah Parker and the Comanches, makes you realize that near enough every western you've ever watched with Injuns is a crock 'o shit.

Brilliant book.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2015 13:59]

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Book to read... on 09:12 - Feb 23 with 2513 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Reading The Bloodied Field about Croke Park and Bloody Sunday in 1920.

Fourteen British spies were killed on a Sunday morning in dawn raids in houses throughout Dublin. Later that day the British Army drove onto Croke Park's pitch in the middle of a big match, machine-gunned the crowd and killed one footballer and thirteen supporters. Three IRA suspects were beaten to death in Dublin Castle by the British.

It's the first time a book, or even extensive research, has been undertaken on one of the most pivotal days in Ireland's history, and it's superbly done. Highly recommended.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2015 9:14]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Book to read... on 09:15 - Feb 23 with 2510 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Also just finished re-reading Steinbeck's The Wayward Bus. Not one of his best, but still better than most writers could manage.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2015 9:15]

Book to read... on 10:02 - Feb 23 with 2496 viewsRedbourneR

Book to read... on 09:15 - Feb 23 by BrianMcCarthy

Also just finished re-reading Steinbeck's The Wayward Bus. Not one of his best, but still better than most writers could manage.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2015 9:15]

Slightly different to all of the above is CITY OF THIEVES by David Benioff. He's one of the producers on Game of Thrones but this was written before then, it's a novel about the siege of Leningrad in WW2, about two young men asked to find some eggs for a wedding cake. Sounds daft but it's unputdownable.
Book to read... on 10:10 - Feb 23 with 2495 viewsTheChef

Book to read... on 14:13 - Feb 22 by Discodroids

Will check it out mr sheen.

i feel the same about both jake arnott and irvine welsh , buy their books out of a sense of duty theses day, hoping that they will show the form of old.

Peace's GB84 is an amazing book about the 84-85 Miners' Strike, I've lost count of the number of times I've read it.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Login to get fewer ads

Book to read... on 12:02 - Feb 23 with 2468 viewsjohnhoop

Book to read... on 08:55 - Feb 23 by Metallica_Hoop

Just finished 'Empire of the Summer Moon' By S C Gwynne.

It's all about Quanah Parker and the Comanches, makes you realize that near enough every western you've ever watched with Injuns is a crock 'o shit.

Brilliant book.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2015 13:59]

I'm sure I'm probably preaching to the converted here Metallica, but have you read "Bury my heart at Wounded Knee" by Dee Brown? It deals chronologically with the way that a number of the Indian tribes were betrayed and then virtually wiped out and is a very moving book that stays with you for a long time. It was first published in 1970 and I've read my copy so many times it's almost falling apart.
Book to read... on 12:17 - Feb 23 with 2456 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Book to read... on 12:02 - Feb 23 by johnhoop

I'm sure I'm probably preaching to the converted here Metallica, but have you read "Bury my heart at Wounded Knee" by Dee Brown? It deals chronologically with the way that a number of the Indian tribes were betrayed and then virtually wiped out and is a very moving book that stays with you for a long time. It was first published in 1970 and I've read my copy so many times it's almost falling apart.

I like that book, John. Thanks for the new tip, Metallica.

Book to read... on 13:56 - Feb 23 with 2421 viewsMonahoop

Just finished reading a fascinating true WW2 PoW story with a difference called, Birds in a Cage by Derek Neimann. It's about four British servicemen, three of them from the Army and one from the RAF who were German captives from very early on in the war. It tells as so many of these stories do, about the hardships in the Stalags, the escape attempts etc, but what unites these four chaps is their love of birds. To while away the long periods of boredom and frustration, they made studies of birds around the camps they were held in and even roped in other PoW's and the odd sympathetic camp guard to help with their studies. They all suffered mentally and physically from their experiences after the war, but went onto become forerunners in British wildlife conservation.

Another thing I didn't realise, from reading this book was the resentment by some captured servicemen and the British public towards the Dunkirk veterens early in the war. They were seen as defeatist by many not involved, seen as too quick to lay down their arms.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Book to read... on 13:59 - Feb 23 with 2418 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Book to read... on 12:02 - Feb 23 by johnhoop

I've heard of it but not read it.

I shall endeavour to find a copy after enjoying Empire so much.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Book to read... on 17:58 - Feb 24 with 2327 viewsWeaverQPR

I'm halfway through the nowhere men and I find it quite hard going. Had excellent reviews but reading about moyes tactic board and some scouts on less than minimum wage watching a reserve game at Charlton is sending me to sleep.
I might go back to it but have shelved it for now and reading Hammered by Mark Ward ex West ham who got sent down for drugs

@WeavQPR

Book to read... on 14:10 - May 19 with 2199 viewsMrSheen

Book to read... on 14:13 - Feb 22 by Discodroids

Will check it out mr sheen.

i feel the same about both jake arnott and irvine welsh , buy their books out of a sense of duty theses day, hoping that they will show the form of old.

I've just got started on Ellroy's latest, "Perfidia". It's written as a prequel to his Masterpiece LA Quartet so you can start on it and go straight on to them if you haven't read them. So far so good, it's a great return to form.

One for Brian, I've got another book on the go called Bitter Freedom by Maurice Walsh, about the Irish Independence War. Very interesting and well written so far. I had no idea how many labour disputes started with the formation of Soviets, and how quickly they dissolved.
Book to read... on 14:15 - May 19 with 2191 viewsTheBlob

I've just started to read"Nice Guys Don't Finish Last - if you don't mind"
By C.Ramsey.Oddly enough it only runs to 3 pages.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Book to read... on 15:33 - May 19 with 2029 viewsJonDoeman

Quote from the author "In the world of scouting, QPR are nowhere"

Can we sort that now please ? I don't know who the chief scout is , but I hear he was offered & refused Diafra Sakho , so can we fck him off please !

It Is What It Is !!

Book to read... on 15:46 - May 19 with 2013 viewsTheBlob

"....and they all lived happily ever after in the land that time forgot."

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Book to read... on 16:24 - May 19 with 1990 viewspeejaybee

Can you tell us the ending.

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

Book to read... on 16:28 - May 19 with 1988 viewspeejaybee

Can you tell us the ending.

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

Book to read... on 17:23 - May 19 with 1942 viewsHollowayRanger

anyone read the goldfinch or the yellow wallpaper

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Book to read... on 18:21 - May 19 with 1916 viewsvanrrrr

Currently reading Danish Dynamite by Rob Smyth et al - story of the Danish 1980's team .

good read about a great team..memories of the uruguay game at mexico world cup revived. great kit too!

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/29/danish-dynamite-denmark-football
Book to read... on 19:45 - May 19 with 1885 viewsderbyhoop

Book to read... on 17:23 - May 19 by HollowayRanger

anyone read the goldfinch or the yellow wallpaper

I read the Goldfinch last year. It's very well written. I liked the characters and the way the story develops, but it is extremely long.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Book to read... on 21:12 - May 19 with 1851 viewsstowmarketrange

Book to read... on 13:59 - Feb 23 by Metallica_Hoop

I've heard of it but not read it.

I shall endeavour to find a copy after enjoying Empire so much.

I've just ordered a copy from amazon at 1p.Shame about the £2.80pp though,but there are loads on there for a penny.
Book to read... on 21:23 - May 19 with 1829 viewsHollowayRanger

Book to read... on 19:45 - May 19 by derbyhoop

I read the Goldfinch last year. It's very well written. I liked the characters and the way the story develops, but it is extremely long.

cheers friend of mine has told me to read them both

glad its long as other ones very short

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Book to read... on 21:44 - May 19 with 1801 viewsMrSheen

Book to read... on 21:23 - May 19 by HollowayRanger

cheers friend of mine has told me to read them both

glad its long as other ones very short

We had yellow wallpaper when I was a kid. I remember it being quite long. Not much happens.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024