Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Defoe and Pace 13:26 - Jan 12 with 10402 viewsPhilmyRs

Saturday showed up a lot of our frailties away from home, but for me what it showed most was how a lack of pace, a lack of a threat in behind teams, is killing us.

A lot of the teams around us at the bottom have defenders with similar characteristics to us — big and not very mobile. For all the plaudits Dunne has received, and to a lesser extent Caulker, Saturday showed (if it hadn’t already), where we can easily be hurt — balls in behind. Getting in front of the striker to intercept a ball to feet, using strength to brush them off, winning the aerial war, Dunne and Caulker have no issue. They’re at their best when the games played in front of them. However, get a striker with a bit of movement and sharpness, one willing to run in behind and they look uncomfortable. In the case of Caulker (going on Saturdays performance), they look like a pub footballer.

Ings is not express pace, but he’s sharp and willing to run in behind. Every time Burnley hit a hopeful long ball he was in, hassling our back line, causing havoc. Us on the other hand, we never posed that threat. Austin’s a great finisher and improving his hold up play all the time but he lacks pace and rarely gets in behind. Our option from the bench was Bobby Zamora which also made for quite depressing viewing. So much space behind the Burnley back line which Zamora had rightly noted yet you just knew any through ball played, the guy wouldn’t have the legs to get there. The Damien Delaney’s of this world that we’ll be coming up against in our scrap for survival are big units that enjoy the game being played in front of them, they don’t want to be tested by runs in behind. Sadly we just don’t have this weapon available to us.

He’s not the popular choice and I have no idea about the sort of condition he’s in, but I can see the logic in getting someone like Defoe into the squad. Defoe is a striker that prefers facing the opposition’s goal rather than his own. That burst of pace and willingness to not only look to get in behind, but have enough in the tank to get away from a defender is something that we need. Without it, I can see us posing little threat to some of our relegation rivals, whilst with it we could begin hurting teams again, we could actually win an away game.
Defoe and Pace on 13:34 - Jan 12 with 8029 viewsconnell10

Welcome to the board arry, how's rosie??😀

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Defoe and Pace on 13:35 - Jan 12 with 8013 viewsTheBlob

Well if they're anything like Hale and Pace I'll give it a miss.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Defoe and Pace on 14:03 - Jan 12 with 7966 viewsonlyrinmoray

Vargas and the new guy Zarate look nippy to me Its just that they are not being used in the position you are suggesting Philmy (I appreciate its early days for Zarate) Although he looks a striker on the You Tube clips

I assume they weren't signed as wingers as we have two excellent wingers in Hoillet and Phillips !
Just one more of the many questions regarding Harrys signing policy !
Defoe and Pace on 14:24 - Jan 12 with 7924 viewsadhoc_qpr

I think we need more pace, but not Defoe.

There must be dozens of strikers around Europe with pace we could look at, Defoe is over the hill and expensive.
Defoe and Pace on 16:16 - Jan 12 with 7830 viewsWestminsteRs

Defoe and Pace on 14:24 - Jan 12 by adhoc_qpr

I think we need more pace, but not Defoe.

There must be dozens of strikers around Europe with pace we could look at, Defoe is over the hill and expensive.

"Dozens of strikers around Europe"? What? Johnny Foreigner?? But they'll be unfit, unproven in the superior Premier League and might end up not being triffic lads. I take your point but Defoe, Robbie and Crouchy are all good lads, good "around the place" and won't give a minute's bother.
Defoe and Pace on 16:47 - Jan 12 with 7789 viewsPhilmyRs

Doesn’t have to be Defoe but a player of that ilk would benefit us. Countless long punts from Burnley caused us all sorts of problems on Saturday, simply because they had pace up front. On a few occasions we could have caused them similar issues but we just didn’t have the legs. Defoe would offer that. Obviously if we can get a younger, hungrier prospect that possesses similar attributes I’d be all for that, but if the choice is Defoe or another number 10, I’d take Defoe. He would offer a different option, one we’re desperately short of.

On the suggestion of moving Vargas further forward, I wouldn’t be against that. Would certainly be a quick fix solution.
Defoe and Pace on 10:45 - Jan 14 with 7622 viewssimmo

According to The Sun, the 32-year-old has agreed a £14m deal with Sunderland.
The Black Cats are set to give Defoe a three-and-a-half-year contract worth £80,000 a week.

WOW.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Defoe and Pace on 10:54 - Jan 14 with 7592 viewswestberksr

the first time Defoe tries to use that pace he'll probably do a hammy.

apart from his age & wages, he seems to have also had quite a few injuries over the past 3-4 years that are strains, tears and generally muscle related; so unlikely to go away when thrown back into the EPL! (i know i shouldn't have but as he's been in the MSL it's what he'll now call the top flight)
Login to get fewer ads

Defoe and Pace on 10:58 - Jan 14 with 7584 viewsJonDoeman

Defoe and Pace on 10:45 - Jan 14 by simmo

The Black Cats are set to give Defoe a three-and-a-half-year contract worth £80,000 a week.

WOW.

Wonder how that deal is structured for their hopeful relegation. Defoe's agreed to a big wage cut I presume?

It Is What It Is !!

Defoe and Pace on 10:58 - Jan 14 with 7581 viewsessextaxiboy

10 Prem Clubs after Defoe reportedly .

All those experienced mangers and coaches can obviously see something that his critics can not ...... (are you there Jamie ? )
Defoe and Pace on 10:59 - Jan 14 with 7571 viewsPommyhoop

WOW.

Ouch..
Very expensive bullet dodged I recon..

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Defoe and Pace on 11:07 - Jan 14 with 7556 viewsDaBurgh

WOW.

Defoe and Pace on 11:09 - Jan 14 with 7553 viewsballbag

Sunderland...everything that's wrong with football.

Or is that still us?
[Post edited 14 Jan 2015 11:25]
Defoe and Pace on 11:14 - Jan 14 with 7540 viewssimmo

Meanwhile it looks like Leicester are getting Maloney, approx 1m.

Defoe and Pace on 11:20 - Jan 14 with 7519 views1BobbyHazell

WOW.

Are you Rangers
Are you Rangers
Are you Rangers in disguise...

Can't be true though! Can it?
Defoe and Pace on 11:22 - Jan 14 with 7517 viewsSydneyRs

WOW.

We have finally been outdone on the ridiculous deal front. That's incredible if true.
Defoe and Pace on 11:26 - Jan 14 with 7502 viewsJonDoeman

Defoe and Pace on 11:14 - Jan 14 by simmo

Meanwhile it looks like Leicester are getting Maloney, approx 1m.

Good business that. Where were we on that on that one?

It Is What It Is !!

Defoe and Pace on 11:26 - Jan 14 with 7499 viewssimmo

Defoe and Pace on 11:20 - Jan 14 by 1BobbyHazell

Are you Rangers
Are you Rangers
Are you Rangers in disguise...

Can't be true though! Can it?

They obviously feel that the lack of transfer fee will make the large contract worthwhile. It would be the equivalent of 7m transfer fee and 40kp/w, which might seem more feasible, although still far too much IMO.

It's worth taking this with a pinch of salt though, we all know the Sun has previous for absolute fabrication.

On a seperate point, I can't see Defoe settling in Sunderland, it's a long way from the dolly birds in Faces that he likes so much!

Defoe and Pace on 11:28 - Jan 14 with 7491 viewssimmo

Defoe and Pace on 11:26 - Jan 14 by JonDoeman

Good business that. Where were we on that on that one?

We were never in for him I don't think. Always wondered why a premier league team hadn't come in for him, although he hasn't had the best season with Wigan so far.

As sensible a signing as he would have been in years gone by, he's the last thing we need now.

Defoe and Pace on 11:30 - Jan 14 with 7480 viewsessextaxiboy

Red herring planted by a pal of Harrys to give Beard a push ... I would be surprised if Defoe played outside of London in the UK
Defoe and Pace on 11:34 - Jan 14 with 7466 views1BobbyHazell

Defoe and Pace on 11:26 - Jan 14 by simmo

They obviously feel that the lack of transfer fee will make the large contract worthwhile. It would be the equivalent of 7m transfer fee and 40kp/w, which might seem more feasible, although still far too much IMO.

It's worth taking this with a pinch of salt though, we all know the Sun has previous for absolute fabrication.

On a seperate point, I can't see Defoe settling in Sunderland, it's a long way from the dolly birds in Faces that he likes so much!

Pretty sure Toronto have previously made it clear that they want to recoup a decent amount of the 10 mill they laid out.

Looking at that sort of money and taking Harry's quotes about loans only at face value (combined with the assumption that there have been some realisations about the stark results of chucking money at everything at board level) I reckon we are out of the running for him.

[Post edited 14 Jan 2015 11:35]
Defoe and Pace on 11:42 - Jan 14 with 7437 views1BobbyHazell

Official

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jan/14/jermain-defoe-signs-sunderland-t
Defoe and Pace on 11:44 - Jan 14 with 7432 viewsozexile

If they've paid that much they're crackers.
Defoe and Pace on 11:51 - Jan 14 with 7415 viewsessextaxiboy

Defoe and Pace on 11:30 - Jan 14 by essextaxiboy

Red herring planted by a pal of Harrys to give Beard a push ... I would be surprised if Defoe played outside of London in the UK

oh well , heres hoping he tears a hamstring on his debut cos its so fckin cold up there .
Defoe and Pace on 12:02 - Jan 14 with 7390 viewsTheBlob

Not bothered.
We're supposed to be in for Mpoku.....not convinced but has played for Spuds....footage of him apparently scoring against R's

Poll: So how was the season for you?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024