Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Post election, where do we go from here thread 09:55 - May 8 with 3721 viewspomanjou

I am sure the macaroon will enjoy his day but looking forward he may well sometimes find it more difficult to govern than it was in a coalition were approvals had to be secured from the libdems before going forward but once negotiated could be activated. His own party extremists may well be more tenacious than the libdems.

On the Scottish question he has to ensure at least for the near future that we remain a union. Best way may well be to give the SNP enough rope to knacker themselves. Let them gradually raise their own taxes whist at the same time removing the northward cashflow from Westmeinster and lets see if they really can stand on their own feet. I sort of doubt it.

He's got 2 years to negotiate a better deal with Europe before his relentlessly promised referendum. At the moment UKIP have more than three million votes but only one seat. A referendum counts a bit different..........

Boundary changes need to be made to properly reflect population and that should not be too difficult with a proppa majority.

Needs to knock into the long grass some of the Libdem/Green parties, green and semi green hugely expensive nonsenses.

He needs to reinvigorate efforts to shackle the unfettered immigration issue way before any referendum any put in place an Australian type model. That is to say welcome from any country whatsoever providing we need a particular skill and subject they accept our laws and history and work before taking handouts.

Housebuilding needs to fired up as clearly their are not enough to go round and much of the housing stock is old and needs knocking down anyway.

etc etc etc

Currently residing in Pinner, Centre of the Universe.
Poll: we have a timetable for Brexit, should there be a referendum for the English

Post election, where do we go from here thread on 10:18 - May 8 with 3676 viewsSimonJames

I suspect the future is as Boris Johnson suggested a couple of days ago - a federal UK.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Post election, where do we go from here thread on 10:48 - May 8 with 3624 viewspomanjou

Post election, where do we go from here thread on 10:18 - May 8 by SimonJames

I suspect the future is as Boris Johnson suggested a couple of days ago - a federal UK.

You may well be right.

Another thing that needs some sort of reform was highlighted by UKIP actually getting 4m odd votes and only one MP. How many votes did the SNP get to claim 50 odd seats?

Currently residing in Pinner, Centre of the Universe.
Poll: we have a timetable for Brexit, should there be a referendum for the English

Post election, where do we go from here thread on 13:36 - May 8 with 3510 viewskarl

Post election, where do we go from here thread on 10:48 - May 8 by pomanjou

You may well be right.

Another thing that needs some sort of reform was highlighted by UKIP actually getting 4m odd votes and only one MP. How many votes did the SNP get to claim 50 odd seats?

I think 51% of approx 4.2m registered voters Pom.
PR has worked well enough in Scottish Parliament, we still get a local representative and proportional MSPs are kind of spread over larger areas and seem to crossover with local MSPs in various seats
Post election, where do we go from here thread on 13:54 - May 8 with 3464 viewsPommyhoop

Post election, where do we go from here thread on 10:18 - May 8 by SimonJames

What does that mean?
Serious question?

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Post election, where do we go from here thread on 13:54 - May 8 with 3462 viewsMrSheen

I think it's gone beyond money with the Scots now. All but the most blinkered Nats know they will be worse off, but it's about identity. I can't see anyone putting the toothpaste back in the tube. Just our luck we're stuck with the economic booby prizes of Wales and Northern Ireland.
Post election, where do we go from here thread on 15:08 - May 8 with 3377 viewsToast_R

Post election, where do we go from here thread on 13:54 - May 8 by Pommyhoop

What does that mean?
Serious question?

It means you need call on Roj Blake?
Post election, where do we go from here thread on 15:25 - May 8 with 3358 viewsDorse

Post election, where do we go from here thread on 13:54 - May 8 by MrSheen

I think it's gone beyond money with the Scots now. All but the most blinkered Nats know they will be worse off, but it's about identity. I can't see anyone putting the toothpaste back in the tube. Just our luck we're stuck with the economic booby prizes of Wales and Northern Ireland.

Ha! Booby.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Post election, where do we go from here thread on 15:54 - May 8 with 3325 viewsQPRMUSO

Onwards and upwards! No Labour Government.
Login to get fewer ads

Post election, where do we go from here thread on 16:49 - May 8 with 3274 viewsconnell10

Post election, where do we go from here thread on 15:54 - May 8 by QPRMUSO

Onwards and upwards! No Labour Government.

Yeah what a great day a weak tory government in hock to the rabid right back benchs! Focking happy days!!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Post election, where do we go from here thread on 17:04 - May 8 with 3254 viewsJigsore

i'm worried. With such a small majority we're probably going to see a weaker government than the coalition especially with the inevitable by-election losses they'll suffer over the coming years.

We're going to see Cameron's radical back-benchers bend him over and force him into policies I suspect he doesn't really want e.g the Europe question. If we're really unlucky they might have to start throwing bones to the knuckle-draggers in the DUP to get support. Mind you by that point I suspect Cameron will retire to a nice Caribbean island and we'll have King Boris or someone equally slippery worm their way into power

this country desperately needs reform and I doubt any regular majority government would bother fixing it as long as it suits them.

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Post election, where do we go from here thread on 17:12 - May 8 with 3231 viewsCiderwithRsie

What does that mean?
Serious question?

I think it's a good serious question, i.e. I've no bloody idea.

Every federal system I've heard of - e.g. Germany or USA - has a set of state governments with a certain set of powers/responsibilities; and then a national government over the top with other powers.

So if we have a national UK govt doing some stuff and a Scottish government doing some other stuff, who in England does the stuff the Scottish government does in Scotland? Does the national government do that too? If so, how do you keep Scottish MPs out? Or do you have an English government as well as the UK one?

Not insoluble, but it's quite a big deal I think.
Post election, where do we go from here thread on 17:13 - May 8 with 3232 viewsTheBlob

Do we only get relegated under a Conservative government?

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Post election, where do we go from here thread on 17:15 - May 8 with 3223 viewsbosh67

Until we get a government that forces high street banks to back small businesses we are f*cked. Conservatives don't do high street. They leave that to Wonga etc.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Post election, where do we go from here thread on 17:17 - May 8 with 3215 viewsCiderwithRsie

Is it down to the lake I fear?
Post election, where do we go from here thread on 20:04 - May 8 with 3110 viewsHollowayRanger

now the tories have a majority they will push though some quick land boundary reforms which should gain them an extra 20 seats

and if they can push the scots hard enough so that they leave that would be another 40 plus seats labour wont ever win again

as for the liberals they are all but finished as a major force

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Post election, where do we go from here thread on 20:34 - May 8 with 3053 viewskensalriser

Did you vote for PR in the referendum, Pom?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Post election, where do we go from here thread on 21:44 - May 8 with 2998 viewsderbyhoop

The Govt could be riven by disputes over Europe. £12bn cuts in welfare when spending on pensioners is ring fenced represents a 15% cut in working age benefits. There's going to be some unpalatable decisions.
Labour will have to find a new leader and do some serious soul searching.
Lib Dems have been massacred. Would they ever join another coalition, if that's what they get for their efforts?
SNP have all the seats but no power. How do you reconcile 1 nation Toryism (quote from DC) with one of the 4 countries in the United Kingdom voting for a completely opposite approach to the majority party?
UKIP - no seats, no Farage, oblivion. I hope so.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Post election, where do we go from here thread on 21:47 - May 8 with 2988 viewsenzian

What does that mean?
Serious question?

Serious question,what country are you living in?.
Post election, where do we go from here thread on 22:23 - May 8 with 2943 viewsE17hoop

What happens now? Cameron sweats.

By stating before the election he'll not lead for a third term he's effectively ruled himself out of leading for more than 3 years - he has to allow his successor time to create their own leadership and narrative. His promise to re-neg the EU settlement and then bring a referendum within 2 years will be the death of him. In all likelihood he'll be passing the baton to Boris when he goes. 2 years of Euro-politics will stop some legislation happening; backbenchers will want to demonstrate they have power and it'll take some strong whipping (Gove?) to keep them in order.

In the meantime the majority he has is tiny and has less power than he had with the Lib Dems. They voted against the Tories so infrequently, they effectively had a much more substantial majority.

The SNP will cause a lot of noise about independence; they'll not get much joy from parliament but will use their position there to leverage independence into the Euro debate. The Scottish Assembly elections will almost certainly be built on some form of independence/EU ticket.

The uncosted manifesto pledges will also cause trouble - he'll not want to start cutting over and above the current plan and that wouldn't generate enough income to allow further spendings to start. If he was to raise taxes in the run up to the EU referendum he'd be on a hiding to nothing. The reliance on productivity improving is critical; this is why he was encouraging employers to pay the living wage. He needs to raise tax income and reduce the housing benefit and tax credit bill and that doesn't look likely without a substantial global economic surge.

Worst of all, he's running on the hope that he doesn't get 5 Tory by elections in the term of parliament because that would destroy his majority. For reference there were 21 by elections in the last parliament and 14 before that. The FTP rule of a 5 year term could haunt him if he has to try and manage from a minority using confidence and supply deals with the DUP.

In all likelihood I'm expecting that we'll see a re-positioning of austerity; the general consensus among economists is that it hasn't worked and the perceived wisdom is that further public spending will be required to jump start the economy. When that has happened he'll be able to raise taxes. Effectively, he needs to adopt a 'New Labour' economic position to challenge Labour economically and politically. To make that happen, however, will require some complex and difficult negotiation with the parliamentary party.
[Post edited 8 May 2015 22:24]

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

Post election, where do we go from here thread on 23:01 - May 8 with 2910 viewsSimonJames

Post election, where do we go from here thread on 22:23 - May 8 by E17hoop

What happens now? Cameron sweats.

By stating before the election he'll not lead for a third term he's effectively ruled himself out of leading for more than 3 years - he has to allow his successor time to create their own leadership and narrative. His promise to re-neg the EU settlement and then bring a referendum within 2 years will be the death of him. In all likelihood he'll be passing the baton to Boris when he goes. 2 years of Euro-politics will stop some legislation happening; backbenchers will want to demonstrate they have power and it'll take some strong whipping (Gove?) to keep them in order.

In the meantime the majority he has is tiny and has less power than he had with the Lib Dems. They voted against the Tories so infrequently, they effectively had a much more substantial majority.

The SNP will cause a lot of noise about independence; they'll not get much joy from parliament but will use their position there to leverage independence into the Euro debate. The Scottish Assembly elections will almost certainly be built on some form of independence/EU ticket.

The uncosted manifesto pledges will also cause trouble - he'll not want to start cutting over and above the current plan and that wouldn't generate enough income to allow further spendings to start. If he was to raise taxes in the run up to the EU referendum he'd be on a hiding to nothing. The reliance on productivity improving is critical; this is why he was encouraging employers to pay the living wage. He needs to raise tax income and reduce the housing benefit and tax credit bill and that doesn't look likely without a substantial global economic surge.

Worst of all, he's running on the hope that he doesn't get 5 Tory by elections in the term of parliament because that would destroy his majority. For reference there were 21 by elections in the last parliament and 14 before that. The FTP rule of a 5 year term could haunt him if he has to try and manage from a minority using confidence and supply deals with the DUP.

In all likelihood I'm expecting that we'll see a re-positioning of austerity; the general consensus among economists is that it hasn't worked and the perceived wisdom is that further public spending will be required to jump start the economy. When that has happened he'll be able to raise taxes. Effectively, he needs to adopt a 'New Labour' economic position to challenge Labour economically and politically. To make that happen, however, will require some complex and difficult negotiation with the parliamentary party.
[Post edited 8 May 2015 22:24]

Sounds like it's time to have a little war with someone.
Oi, Fernández! Are you looking at my Falklands?

100% of people who drink water will die.

Post election, where do we go from here thread on 23:18 - May 8 with 2891 viewsE17hoop

Post election, where do we go from here thread on 23:01 - May 8 by SimonJames

Sounds like it's time to have a little war with someone.
Oi, Fernández! Are you looking at my Falklands?

Fair point. 10 minutes after Theresa May was elected she was talking about pushing the Communications Data Bill through parliament. I'd expect to see lots of 'fear' in the next few months - fear of immigration, fear of crime, fear of terrorism, etc - as a lever to sell it to the electorate.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

Post election, where do we go from here thread on 07:53 - May 9 with 2813 viewsbatmanhoop

Cameron won't know what's hit him, across the house he will have to face 50+ Scots Nationalists every week. They'll make Skinner look like Mavis Riley
Post election, where do we go from here thread on 08:44 - May 9 with 2782 viewsconnell10

Post election, where do we go from here thread on 20:04 - May 8 by HollowayRanger

now the tories have a majority they will push though some quick land boundary reforms which should gain them an extra 20 seats

and if they can push the scots hard enough so that they leave that would be another 40 plus seats labour wont ever win again

as for the liberals they are all but finished as a major force

So do you think this is good for the country?

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Post election, where do we go from here thread on 11:18 - May 9 with 2698 viewsHollowayRanger

Post election, where do we go from here thread on 08:44 - May 9 by connell10

So do you think this is good for the country?

works for me

id rather trust Cameron to run the country than Wallace and mini krankie

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Post election, where do we go from here thread on 11:32 - May 9 with 2677 viewsSpiritofGregory

Post election, where do we go from here thread on 07:53 - May 9 by batmanhoop

Cameron won't know what's hit him, across the house he will have to face 50+ Scots Nationalists every week. They'll make Skinner look like Mavis Riley

Can you imagine Milliband facing those Scots? They would tear him limb from limb.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024