Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland 15:36 - Aug 17 with 8282 viewsEsgaroth

Wife (and mother inlaw) and i are spending a week in the west of Ireland next year and are unsure where to get a cottage. We know for sure that we want to see the Cliffs of Moher but is there anywhere thats a good location to see a bit more. We have seen some nice cottages in the Galway area or some further south towards Kenmare and Killarney.

Ireland appears to be like the west of Scotland, stunning views but long drives in between places.

Any advice will be helpful

Been here since 1984. Now THAT is what you call punishment

Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 16:13 - Aug 17 with 5613 viewsPhildo

So many places. Connemara is stunning, Westport a great spot. I love the whole coast aorund Sligo - slightly less touristy round there. You are right about the drives better to concentrate on one area and come back another time for something else. Last time I was there my kids went surfing and basically that was it they didnt want to do anything else. Load of other great spots. Look up wild atlantic way there has been a big push to get that in tourist minds basically info about the whole western seaboard. Try and get one near a decent pub.
Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 16:30 - Aug 17 with 5578 viewsbatmanhoop

Dad was from Galway, most places of interest you will be able to get to in a couple of hours. We're not talking the west coast of America here
Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 17:11 - Aug 17 with 5496 viewsTheBlob

Waterville,Co.Kerry.The whole area a must see.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 17:20 - Aug 17 with 5486 viewsA40Bosh

Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 16:30 - Aug 17 by batmanhoop

Dad was from Galway, most places of interest you will be able to get to in a couple of hours. We're not talking the west coast of America here

+1

The Wild Atlantic Way, down from Mayo (Westport) through Galway and Clare and into Kerry (The Ring of Kerry) and then West Cork, it's all lovely, it's just getting a decent bit of weather. Some truly stunning scenery and lovely town and coastal villages.
Spent 4 nights up last summer in Delphi Lodge just as you arrive into the south of Mayo. We were right next to Doo Lough, truly stunning place.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 17:26 - Aug 17 with 5475 viewsbatmanhoop

Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 17:20 - Aug 17 by A40Bosh

+1

The Wild Atlantic Way, down from Mayo (Westport) through Galway and Clare and into Kerry (The Ring of Kerry) and then West Cork, it's all lovely, it's just getting a decent bit of weather. Some truly stunning scenery and lovely town and coastal villages.
Spent 4 nights up last summer in Delphi Lodge just as you arrive into the south of Mayo. We were right next to Doo Lough, truly stunning place.

fantastic Bosh, small country Ireland is, you need more then a week to take in the sights. A lifetime is not enough
[Post edited 17 Aug 2015 17:48]
Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 17:30 - Aug 17 with 5453 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Kenmare is close to me. Very little to see or do.

I would recommend Clare. Always loved it, so much so that I moved there and lived there for years. Base yourself near Lahinch or Miltown Malbay and you'll be well positioned to see all of the County, and you're also only a short drive from Galway, the best City in Ireland.

Clare and Galway are the heart of the West of Ireland, I think. Kerry is beautiful (particularly the dingle Peninsual) but is a freak show of massively high rip-off prices and fake-oirish shenanigans, begorrah.

Mayo and Donegal are also beautiful but maybe not enough to do (?). My own homeplace, West Cork is stunning, but is underdeveloped for tourism. If you're looking for peace and quiet, good food, a few pints etc I would highly recommend it, but you can have ll that in Clare plus so much more.

You have the cliffs of Moher, naturally, the best traditional Irish music by far (Milltiwn Malbay, Ennistymon, Doolin) great surf and watersports scene (Lahinch and more), great sea kayaking, The Burren fir hiking ("no water to drown a man, no tree to hang him from, no soil to bury him in" - Cromwell!), great coastlines and - best of all - super locals, friendly, quiet, wild in a nice way, arty and with a quiet humour.

Whatever you decide, fáilte.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 17:44 - Aug 17 with 5427 viewsithastogetbetter

West Galway / Connemara absolutely stunning. Add Aran Islands to the itinerary on your way to or from Westport.
Kenmare is very good as a base if you're prepared to drive a bit each day. Good pubs/food. The scenery is stunning (when the clouds lift) and you can get to Ring of Kerry and West Cork quite easily. Prices and shamrock-ery not too bad and certainly better than Killarney which is kept esp for the Yanks!!
There is an app for the Wild Atlantic Way which breaks it down into smaller regions. So much to see, so little time. Enjoy the trip.
Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 17:47 - Aug 17 with 5416 viewsHayesender

The west coast of Ireland is absolutely stunning. Can be a bit wet though

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Login to get fewer ads

Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 17:49 - Aug 17 with 5415 viewsted_hendrix

Fly Ryanair from either Luton or Stansted book the first flight in the morning into Knock airport Co Mayo, its a great little airport, book your car in advance though whatever you do, you can tour the West of Ireland from there with ease.
If your inclined make the effort to climb Croagh Patrick, the views over Clews Bay are awesome on a clear day, when you get to the top walk round the chapel a million times saying 'Hail Mary etcetera' (also a million times) it'll be worth it.
The West of Ireland is superb to explore but boy you need a bit of decent weather.
With regard to Ryanair who seem to get a bad press I've used them heaps of time and I can honestly say they've never let us down.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 17:54 - Aug 17 with 5404 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 17:44 - Aug 17 by ithastogetbetter

West Galway / Connemara absolutely stunning. Add Aran Islands to the itinerary on your way to or from Westport.
Kenmare is very good as a base if you're prepared to drive a bit each day. Good pubs/food. The scenery is stunning (when the clouds lift) and you can get to Ring of Kerry and West Cork quite easily. Prices and shamrock-ery not too bad and certainly better than Killarney which is kept esp for the Yanks!!
There is an app for the Wild Atlantic Way which breaks it down into smaller regions. So much to see, so little time. Enjoy the trip.

Agree completely on Aran Islands.

Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 17:54 - Aug 17 with 5402 viewsextratimeR

Our family are from Beara, (its the peninsular below ring of Kerry), def recommend it, like the rest of the West coast, stunning views of lakes and mountains, and the Wild Atlantic Way, umbrella recommended, (this year anyway!).

Its fifteen miles south from Kenmare, also worth popping over the Healey pass to West Cork, (not at night).
Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 17:56 - Aug 17 with 5399 viewsbob566

just back from a week in Kerry. Stayed in a place called banna beach. Lovely spot just south of ballyheigh and north of Tralee.

A lot to do in Tralee for the kids. they have an aquadome with water slides and all of that. There is also a place called the wetlands center which me and the kids loved.

Anywhere on that wild atlantic way and you will get good surfing.

Beara pinninsula from Kerry down to castletownbere is a lovely drive too. Mayo and galway are lovely too. Lahinch in clare is lovely and there is a ferry from tarbert in Kerry across the Shannon to clare which will cut off a huge chunk of time if you are out that way.

If you like your star gazing apparently there is a spot in Kerry that has been recognized as a gold star dark sky reserve, one of only three in the world

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/new-zealand-turns-its-gaze-to-starryskied-k
Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 21:09 - Aug 17 with 5306 viewsMonahoop

Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 17:11 - Aug 17 by TheBlob

Waterville,Co.Kerry.The whole area a must see.

Remember bumping into an American tourist at Waterville many years back. Claimed she was lost and wanted to know where the Main Street was. There is only one street in Waterville! Americans eh!

Galway is one of my favourite cities. It's quite small. Great atmosphere about the place, but best to avoid the place in July, August time. Far too many tourists. Great music scene there. Seen some good little bands there playing an interesting mix of trad/punk/blues. Good history about the place too. There is a superb second hand book shop there if you're into that kind of thing. You need to spend a whole day in it to appreciate it.

The Burren in Co Clare is an amazing place, one of my favourite wild spots in Ireland. Stunning there in spring. People always rate Connemarra, but I find it too bleak and green and a bit boring really, but there are some superb beaches along the coast there. You could have one to yourself.

Westport in Co Mayo is a nice town. Used to hold a good music festival there, but alas not any more. A bit further on seek out Achill Island. It is where the word Boycott originated. Too long to tell the story here. Further along the way is the Mullet Peninsula, another great wild place. The town of Belmullet is unique. The boy racers there don't tear around in souped up Mazda's, but Fordson's or John Deere's. No kidding!

Sligo is the all forgotten county in the west. There are some great places there too and I have to say I love the place as it is so often overlooked. Sligo town was once a great place, but has sadly become run down lately, but the coastlines and mountains are worth checking out. The poet Keats hailed from there. There is a local football club in his home village called Keats United. It has the most stunning backdrop of any football ground I know, Ben Bullen or the Sugar Loaf Mountain.

Co Kerry is great too. I need to explore neighbouring Cork more to make comment on it.

Where ever you go, enjoy.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 21:31 - Aug 17 with 5275 viewsEsgaroth

Amazing response people, thanks for all the recommendations.
I think we have settled on the area aroundy/Limerick because it's pretty central to the places we want to visit.

However, thanks to all your suggestions I have a feeling this will be the first of many trips to the emerald isle.

Who needs trip advisor eh

Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 21:59 - Aug 17 with 5251 viewsPommyhoop

When I first saw the title of this thread I thought that SOG was visiting Glencolmcille!
[Post edited 17 Aug 2015 22:11]

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 22:11 - Aug 17 with 5239 viewsPommyhoop

Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 21:59 - Aug 17 by Pommyhoop

When I first saw the title of this thread I thought that SOG was visiting Glencolmcille!
[Post edited 17 Aug 2015 22:11]

Trabane Strand - Glencolmcille, Donegal

Gods Country.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 23:02 - Aug 17 with 5193 viewsBlackCrowe

Brother lives in Clare just outside Tulla. Wonderful understated county. Burren for walking, Fenore beach for chilling and if you can time it for the Feakle festival (small village) then you'll be rolling home each night.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2015 23:15]

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 23:10 - Aug 17 with 5179 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 17:54 - Aug 17 by extratimeR

Our family are from Beara, (its the peninsular below ring of Kerry), def recommend it, like the rest of the West coast, stunning views of lakes and mountains, and the Wild Atlantic Way, umbrella recommended, (this year anyway!).

Its fifteen miles south from Kenmare, also worth popping over the Healey pass to West Cork, (not at night).

I'm from Beara, extratime, my Dad's from Ardgroom and my Mum's from Eyeries. Where are your people from?

Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 23:19 - Aug 17 with 5166 viewsMrSheen

I'm buying a house on the coast between Portmagee and Ballinskelligs in Kerry - or at least I was until I read the survey. I have to speak up for this bit. Killarney and Dingle are tourist traps but this is just fantastic, staring out into the Atlantic towards the Skelligs, when you can see them. About 15 miles around the coast from Waterville to the north. I even saw the hoops in Cahersiveen.
Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 23:22 - Aug 17 with 5159 viewsTheBlob

You've just missed The Puck Fair unfortunately.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 00:49 - Aug 18 with 5122 viewsA40Bosh

Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 23:22 - Aug 17 by TheBlob

You've just missed The Puck Fair unfortunately.

I feel really bad now having spent so much time on here moaningg about having to go to Ireland for two weeks every year when it is truly so beautiful. It's really just the weather that makes it miserable if you get the wrong week.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 04:08 - Aug 18 with 5086 viewsMrSheen

Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 00:49 - Aug 18 by A40Bosh

I feel really bad now having spent so much time on here moaningg about having to go to Ireland for two weeks every year when it is truly so beautiful. It's really just the weather that makes it miserable if you get the wrong week.

Wrong week? Is there a right week?
Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 06:44 - Aug 18 with 5070 viewsdistortR

Your wife and mother-in-law? And there's one person with you, right? Should fit RIGHT in in rural Ireland...
[Post edited 18 Aug 2015 6:49]
Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 07:17 - Aug 18 with 5058 viewsEsgaroth

Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 06:44 - Aug 18 by distortR

Your wife and mother-in-law? And there's one person with you, right? Should fit RIGHT in in rural Ireland...
[Post edited 18 Aug 2015 6:49]

Luckily we have asked my stepfather and my brother and his bint to come so I will have plenty of company when supping the black stuff.

I know this is a football (when we bother playing it) forum but I do appreciate the knowledge of my fellow R's when in need of advice.

I will have a pint for all of you when I'm there.

Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 07:27 - Aug 18 with 5053 viewsparker64

If you have the weather it's fantastic. If you don't it can be quite depressing in a breathtaking sort of way. The gloom can be fascinating. Take an umbrella.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024