Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Smithies 23:45 - Sep 16 with 6789 viewsAgedR

Won't be a common view I appreciate, but, contrary to all logical evidence to date, I quite like him.

His distribution is first class and he made a couple of excellent saves (granted one was from an offside position).

He did make a misjudgement for the first goal, but, on another day (and another ref) he might have got away with it.

After the goal he did look nervy, but, I was impressed with the fact that he did keep coming for crosses.

As I said, I like him and I actually think it's a tough call who to play next week. Probably Greeno, but, Smithies is a good longer term prospect.

Poll: Who do we want out of the way?

Smithies on 10:24 - Sep 17 with 1703 viewsGetMeRangers

Smithies on 09:55 - Sep 17 by simmo

He's great then is he? You'd categorise him as a great keeper?

He's a decent shot stopper but he's average at most other things and downright dreadful at things like distribution and decision making especially.

Surely this is one for Bluce to resolve, but I am with you on this, Simmo
Smithies on 10:30 - Sep 17 with 1696 viewsdaveB

Smithies on 00:40 - Sep 17 by PunteR

I thought he was nervy ,doesn't speak to his defence much. Throws the ball out effectively and quickly though. Have I seen enough to make Green lose his place in the side?..no.

I could hear him shouting at his defence for most of the first half
Smithies on 10:31 - Sep 17 with 1690 viewsDejR_vu

Smithies on 01:04 - Sep 17 by PunteR

Well we're still letting in two goals a game with Smithies playing but early days for him I guess.
There's nothing we like more at QPR than a £50 grand a week keeper that's played at international level sitting on the bench.

I'm not sure picking a player because he earns a lot, or because of what he has done in the past, are sensible strategies.

We've lost one good, young keeper already. Why risk doing the same again just to keep an old one that won't be here next season happy, especially one with a propensity to drop regular clangers?

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Smithies on 10:37 - Sep 17 with 1672 viewsJamie

Of course he should be our #1. The club know it full well to be fair, but are in the unenviable position of having a dodgy keeper on a monumental wedge from a previous regime that they literally cannot give away, so have to play..
Smithies on 10:42 - Sep 17 with 1659 viewsPunteR

Smithies on 09:55 - Sep 17 by simmo

He's great then is he? You'd categorise him as a great keeper?

He's a decent shot stopper but he's average at most other things and downright dreadful at things like distribution and decision making especially.

No one has called him great apart from Bluce Ree.

I don't think Green is a great keeper but he's been a good keeper pretty consistently throughout his time here.
He has a reputation for blunders though ,I just think most keepers make them.
Fine, make Smithies No1 for the time being, I really havnt got much of a problem with that, its all about rebuilding QPR after all. I just think Green is a proven keeper and would be fine for us this season. I'm more worried about the CB and Holding midfield pairing at the moment.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2015 10:47]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Smithies on 11:26 - Sep 17 with 1615 viewsAntti_Heinola

Smithies on 23:59 - Sep 16 by bosh67

Having watched the goal back the problem is that he's quite small. The player that scored was huge and simply out muscled him. I thought he had dropped it but he was just too small to claim it. If a few of the outfield players had also run to the lino then I think they may have persuaded him there was a foul, but there wasn't.

He seemed to punch an awful lot of things because he seemed afraid to catch the ball. He has to get over that.

However, one ridiculous save when the player was offside, but he didn't know that. Then another one at point blank range that he had no right to save at all.

His distribution is way better than Green's and I like the fact that he is looking for players to release and his throwing and kicking are good.

The stats say he is over 6 foot 2. I don't think he's anything like that. He looks barely 6 foot. If he is over 6 foot then he needs to put on weight and bulk out.

Second half he had very little to do but what he did he did well. So, he can make impressive point blank saves and he can distribute very well but he needs to learn to command his area and he needs to toughen up.

Smithies is 6'3.

Bare bones.

Smithies on 12:00 - Sep 17 with 1597 viewsrobith

Smithies on 23:59 - Sep 16 by bosh67

Having watched the goal back the problem is that he's quite small. The player that scored was huge and simply out muscled him. I thought he had dropped it but he was just too small to claim it. If a few of the outfield players had also run to the lino then I think they may have persuaded him there was a foul, but there wasn't.

He seemed to punch an awful lot of things because he seemed afraid to catch the ball. He has to get over that.

However, one ridiculous save when the player was offside, but he didn't know that. Then another one at point blank range that he had no right to save at all.

His distribution is way better than Green's and I like the fact that he is looking for players to release and his throwing and kicking are good.

The stats say he is over 6 foot 2. I don't think he's anything like that. He looks barely 6 foot. If he is over 6 foot then he needs to put on weight and bulk out.

Second half he had very little to do but what he did he did well. So, he can make impressive point blank saves and he can distribute very well but he needs to learn to command his area and he needs to toughen up.

On his distribution I liked that sometimes he would charge to make a play, see that it was no longer on, take a second and react to the situation and lay off a better ball.

There were a couple of instances where he ran to make a throw, but the player defending moved to cover and he used that to play into the space the defender had yielded
Smithies on 12:17 - Sep 17 with 1580 viewssimmo

Smithies on 12:00 - Sep 17 by robith

On his distribution I liked that sometimes he would charge to make a play, see that it was no longer on, take a second and react to the situation and lay off a better ball.

There were a couple of instances where he ran to make a throw, but the player defending moved to cover and he used that to play into the space the defender had yielded

It's miraculous that not only does he manage to pick passes that start attacks, but that he also has the ability to kick seemingly the length of the pitch. We can move a full 10-15 yards further up simply because his kicking is really strong.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Login to get fewer ads

Smithies on 12:25 - Sep 17 with 1573 viewsTacticalR

Both keepers were punching the ball at the beginning of the game because of the wet conditions. Always beware of wet balls.

Air hostess clique

Smithies on 12:37 - Sep 17 with 1554 viewsPunteR

Smithies on 12:17 - Sep 17 by simmo

It's miraculous that not only does he manage to pick passes that start attacks, but that he also has the ability to kick seemingly the length of the pitch. We can move a full 10-15 yards further up simply because his kicking is really strong.

He's wasted in goal, Stick him in midfield .

Smithies on 13:18 - Sep 17 with 1505 viewsbatmanhoop

I thought he done ok last night and lets be frank, playing behind our defence, Buffoon, De Gea, Hart, they would all brick it
Smithies on 13:45 - Sep 17 with 1473 viewsCambsHoop

Smithies on 00:49 - Sep 17 by Northernr

Ah well, give it another month he'll have cost us another bad goal at his current average so we can reconvene then.

Even if it were true (which I don't think it is) that Green is giving away a goal a month, it's way better than Smihies record so far of 3 goals in 2.25 games. At one point after the Forest second goal, his record read: SOT 6; Goals 4.

One cup exit and four points dropped are (partly) attributable to Smithies's two and a bit games.
Smithies on 14:02 - Sep 17 with 1456 viewsNorthernr

Smithies on 13:45 - Sep 17 by CambsHoop

Even if it were true (which I don't think it is) that Green is giving away a goal a month, it's way better than Smihies record so far of 3 goals in 2.25 games. At one point after the Forest second goal, his record read: SOT 6; Goals 4.

One cup exit and four points dropped are (partly) attributable to Smithies's two and a bit games.

January February March April August half of May and half of September = 6 months

Tottenham at home - came for a cross and missed, Kane scores into open goal
Hull A - came for a cross and missed, N'Doye scores into open goal
Chelsea H - kicking masterclass for the late winner
Arsenal H - beaten at near post by weak shot
Charlton A - beaten at near post by weak shot
Forest H - brain explosion for equaliser

= 6 goals.

Not to mention the two occasions - Chelsea and Cardiff - he's come out of his area, deliberately handled the ball and got away with it. Should have been two more and two more reds on top of that.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Smithies on 14:17 - Sep 17 with 1435 viewsjamois

Smithies on 14:02 - Sep 17 by Northernr

January February March April August half of May and half of September = 6 months

= 6 goals.

Not to mention the two occasions - Chelsea and Cardiff - he's come out of his area, deliberately handled the ball and got away with it. Should have been two more and two more reds on top of that.

He's a very naughty boy

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

Smithies on 14:21 - Sep 17 with 1425 viewsJonDoeman

Smithies on 14:02 - Sep 17 by Northernr

= 6 goals.

So now we've got a choice of 2 keepers who keep costing us matches!
I don't like the look of Smithies, shit signing .

It Is What It Is !!

Smithies on 14:26 - Sep 17 with 1199 viewssimmo

Smithies on 14:21 - Sep 17 by JonDoeman

Based on what??

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Smithies on 14:33 - Sep 17 with 1194 viewsNorthernr

Haha, amazing. 1 league start - sht signing. That's a record even for this board surely?
Smithies on 14:37 - Sep 17 with 1185 viewsJonDoeman

Smithies on 14:26 - Sep 17 by simmo

Based on what??

Don't like him being a nervous character for starters. First impressions aren't good.

It Is What It Is !!

Smithies on 14:39 - Sep 17 with 1179 viewsJonDoeman

Smithies on 14:33 - Sep 17 by Northernr

Haha, amazing. 1 league start - sht signing. That's a record even for this board surely?

Yeah fair do's, just posting a gut feeling. Hopefully I'll look silly when he becomes a good keeper for us.

It Is What It Is !!

Smithies on 14:52 - Sep 17 with 1157 viewsJamie

You also said McCarthy was shit....

Palace saw fit to pay his buyout, and have been rewarding by a string of great performances..

Best not mention Blackwood either.
Smithies on 15:02 - Sep 17 with 1138 viewsJonDoeman

Smithies on 14:52 - Sep 17 by Jamie

Palace saw fit to pay his buyout, and have been rewarding by a string of great performances..

Palace bought Mutch, & I thought he was shit as well!

It Is What It Is !!

Smithies on 15:17 - Sep 17 with 1117 viewseccles

A couple of fellas in the lower loft almost came to blows last night over that first goal.
Just frustration I guess. Although there was a lot of negativity shown towards the keeper after the first goal
Don't know how this helps him, the team or the mood around the place.
Ok, so we were 10 minutes into the game and the keeper either gets fouled or makes a ricket depending on your point of view, but with still 80 mins to go, getting on his back would only make him more nervous wouldn't it? Surely better to get behind him? That's why they call us supporters.
I don't know if Smithies is going to become the next Phil Parkes or not, probably not, but he's what we have at the moment and while he's pulling on a rangers shirt we should encourage him rather than slag him off.
I think he'll be alright in the end.
Smithies on 15:19 - Sep 17 with 1116 viewsPunteR

Smithies on 14:52 - Sep 17 by Jamie

Is that the same McCarthy that let in 9 goals in 3 starts?
Lets be honest,he didn't want to be here in the Championship.

Smithies on 15:38 - Sep 17 with 1087 viewsfrancisbowles

After that shaky start, I thought he got it together and on the whole gave a good performance. Good signing and deserves to be given at least the next game or two. Might wake up Green a bit!
Smithies on 17:15 - Sep 17 with 1028 viewsJamie

Smithies on 15:19 - Sep 17 by PunteR

Is that the same McCarthy that let in 9 goals in 3 starts?
Lets be honest,he didn't want to be here in the Championship.

The very same, now conceded 6 goals in 5 games despite playing Arsenal, Chelsea & City..

And he was happy to stay and play, but we couldn't move on Green, so he had to go.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024