Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. 23:28 - Sep 23 with 5306 viewsbarabajagal

The team that became Queen's Park Rangers had only existed for 33 years when my grandmother was born, on Friday we celebrate her 100th birthday. Just as remarkable is that we celebrated my grandfather's 100th in August. They have been together for 86 years, with a small break for him to fight the Nazis. (He's Tottenham though!)

Needless to say, I'll have to watch the highlights of Fulham on Saturday. Hats off to all of that generation. I don't think I'd have had the minerals.

U R's.
Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 23:35 - Sep 23 with 3952 viewsCiderwithRsie

Definitely deserves a thread! 86 years together is pretty good going.

My hat is duly raised. I hope all concerned have a great day.
Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 00:09 - Sep 24 with 3929 viewsHadders

Happy birthday to your granny and congratulations to both of your grandparents on a remarkable relationship. What`s their secret? Incidentally, I just read a really interesting, moving and profound book of reflections on ageing and memory, Ammonites and Leaping Fish, by Penelope Lively. She was only 80 when she wrote it, though- still a youngster!
[Post edited 24 Sep 2015 21:03]
Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 00:18 - Sep 24 with 3910 viewsbarabajagal

Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 00:09 - Sep 24 by Hadders

Happy birthday to your granny and congratulations to both of your grandparents on a remarkable relationship. What`s their secret? Incidentally, I just read a really interesting, moving and profound book of reflections on ageing and memory, Ammonites and Leaping Fish, by Penelope Lively. She was only 80 when she wrote it, though- still a youngster!
[Post edited 24 Sep 2015 21:03]

Their secret? I just think Granddad did as he was told, without argument. Book sounds interesting, I'll have a nose through. Cheers.
Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 03:28 - Sep 24 with 3850 viewsSonofNorfolt

Sod Rangers. This is amazing. Do they live on the Japanese coast, Caucasian mountains or Ladbroke Grove?
Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 06:38 - Sep 24 with 3803 viewsisawqpratwcity

To me the cherry-on-top is 86 years together. Delightful.

Please tell me they share a secret minor vice that they attribute their mutual compatibility/longevity to?

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 07:51 - Sep 24 with 3764 viewsbarabajagal

Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 03:28 - Sep 24 by SonofNorfolt

Sod Rangers. This is amazing. Do they live on the Japanese coast, Caucasian mountains or Ladbroke Grove?

Little Common (near Bexhilł).

I think they are one of the youngest couples there

Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 07:57 - Sep 24 with 3756 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Staggering. Best of luck to them both, and to you all.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 08:33 - Sep 24 with 3734 viewsloftboy

86 years is amazing, too both live to that grand age is also amazing, congratulations and best wishes to both your grandparents and massive respect, and did I mention they were amazing. 👍🎂

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Login to get fewer ads

Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 08:45 - Sep 24 with 3709 viewskingshill

Absolutely nothing irrelevant about this fantastic story.

Why isn't this in the papers and on the news?
Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 08:48 - Sep 24 with 3705 viewsjohncharles

Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 06:38 - Sep 24 by isawqpratwcity

To me the cherry-on-top is 86 years together. Delightful.

Please tell me they share a secret minor vice that they attribute their mutual compatibility/longevity to?

Perhaps the secret is supporting Spurs ?

Strong and stable my arse.

Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 08:58 - Sep 24 with 3691 viewskingsburyR

Happy Birthday Granny!!!

Hope you all celebrate in style.

Lost my last Nan 3 months ago (over in Mayo) at the grand old age of 97. Now she had some stories to tell. - Living through the Blitz in Harrow etc etc.

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 09:06 - Sep 24 with 3679 viewsDesertBoot

86 years together is absolutely incredible. Thanks for sharing this wonderful story. Happy 100th Granny

Wish I could be like David Watts

Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 09:16 - Sep 24 with 3662 viewsDiscodroids

Incredible.
[Post edited 24 Sep 2015 9:30]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 09:21 - Sep 24 with 3655 viewsheadhoops

amazing - hope all concerned has a great day.

How did the transition from Spurs to QPR happen? My grandad was spurs and used to take me as a 6-7 year old, sadly he passed away and the nearest ground my parents would let me go alone was QPR.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 09:23 - Sep 24 with 3654 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Nice one.

That's amazing, they were both born a few months after the Lusitania went down.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 09:54 - Sep 24 with 3617 viewsPinnerR

Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 07:51 - Sep 24 by barabajagal

Little Common (near Bexhilł).

I think they are one of the youngest couples there

I'll give them a wave as Igo past on the 99 bus.
Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 10:01 - Sep 24 with 3611 viewsBluce_Ree

Brilliant stuff!

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 10:02 - Sep 24 with 3606 viewsBrightonhoop

Respect, that's an amazing innings and 86 years together! Have a great day. ( doff cap smiley).

If you contacted the Club they may make such a Congrats announcement for them.
Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 11:23 - Sep 24 with 3544 viewsBrianMcCarthy

For some reason your lovely story has got me thinking of a couple who were our neighbours when we were kids. Much different couple to your Grandparents, barabajagal, but just as moving in their own way.

They were in their nineties, had been married for over sixty years and hadn't spoken for about forty of them. Not even a 'sorry there, I'll squeeze past and put the kettle on'. Nothing. They were both lovely, just had nothing left to say to each other. It was the strangest thing.

Stranger still, Batt passed away one Christmas and Peig followed him quietly within a fortnight. Couldn't speak to each other, yet couldn't be apart.

If there's one reason that I wish that there's a heaven it's that Peig found Batt. I bet they had a chat, too.

Don't know what made me think of them...

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 11:27 - Sep 24 with 3537 viewssimmo

Absolutely epic, this is amazing! The lessons you can learn from those two...

Congratulations and hope you all have a brilliant day.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 11:34 - Sep 24 with 3523 viewsQPunkR

QPR - "shit but local"

Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 11:38 - Sep 24 with 3513 viewsade_qpr

86 that's incredible.
Got me wondering what the record is?
How are they going? 87 plus any chance.

If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 11:43 - Sep 24 with 3505 viewsKonk

Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 11:38 - Sep 24 by ade_qpr

86 that's incredible.
Got me wondering what the record is?
How are they going? 87 plus any chance.

That's put a massive smile on my face. Brilliant work all round - 100 years of age and in a relationship for 86 years - inspirational stuff. I hope your family have a great time celebrating.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 12:21 - Sep 24 with 3453 viewsEastR

This is the kind of thing that (ours and) future generations will just not see. People getting married and having children later, marriage and divorce by social media, living life at 200mph with all its attendant health issues. We appear to have to have more, but are we really any better off?
Congrats to them for a lifetime and more together. It’s a heart-warming story.

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 12:35 - Sep 24 with 3438 viewsR_from_afar

86 years? Wow, respect, that is amazing! One thing's for sure, me and Mrs FromAfar won't manage that. We'd both be 124 and looking like Davros.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024