Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any Record Collectors on here? 15:56 - Jan 19 with 4803 viewsMarc

Relative of mine has been trying to shift his collection recently via local selling sites etc. He's looked into ebay but doesnt really seem keen on going down that route due to potential to be scammed

Quite a bit of Stones, Rod Stewart, Beatles etc

If you're interested in that sort of thing, let me know and i'll pm you with the full list
Any Record Collectors on here? on 15:57 - Jan 19 with 4795 viewsrobith

If he's selling on ebay, where's the potential to be scammed? You just don't send it until they've paid surely?
Any Record Collectors on here? on 16:03 - Jan 19 with 4768 viewsMarc

Any Record Collectors on here? on 15:57 - Jan 19 by robith

If he's selling on ebay, where's the potential to be scammed? You just don't send it until they've paid surely?

Nah, things can still go wrong on there even after receiving money/sending item out

Doesn't wanna risk it because of all the hassle involved of packing the items/higher cost of having to mail it, and then the possibility of something going wrong
Any Record Collectors on here? on 16:10 - Jan 19 with 4744 viewsLongsufferingR

Sister Ray in Soho is good for selling your vinyl and getting a fair price.
Any Record Collectors on here? on 16:14 - Jan 19 with 4727 viewsMarc

Any Record Collectors on here? on 16:10 - Jan 19 by LongsufferingR

Cheers, i'll let him know

He did contact a few private dealers, but wasn't keen on what they were offering. As you could imagine, vinyl dealers are some of the worst for lowball offers. His words
Any Record Collectors on here? on 16:22 - Jan 19 with 4703 viewsrobith

Any Record Collectors on here? on 16:03 - Jan 19 by Marc

Nah, things can still go wrong on there even after receiving money/sending item out

Doesn't wanna risk it because of all the hassle involved of packing the items/higher cost of having to mail it, and then the possibility of something going wrong

fair dues
Any Record Collectors on here? on 16:26 - Jan 19 with 4698 viewsDiscodroids

Marc, i sold a huge volume of Vinyl ( to my eternal regret) on e bay in the late 2000's as far afield as Japan , New Zealand, America and all over Europe .
I dont know if things have changed since then but i didnt have any problems with collection of money via paypal .
What was major hassle/expense though, was ordering The protective Cardboard sleeves , Infills, Labels etc. Also you get people sending stuff back in crappy condition , or saying they ordered the wrong mix of the record etc etc. pain in the arse. I could only do it as it was full time for me when i was retraining,

Also, Not forgetting going up the post office every other day with stacks under my arm and being stuck in there for all eternity. Also you have the problem of the less sought after and desirable Records left that you cannot shift. I used to box them up and flog them as a job lot on e bay, or loot at the time. I think people flog records on gum tree.

its hassle , but I sold a load of records at boot sales as well. you usually get collectors mooching about very early, as soon as your unpacking your car they buy your stuff. i didnt even have to set up my stall on a few occassions.

good luck with the sale.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2016 16:28]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Any Record Collectors on here? on 16:32 - Jan 19 with 4670 viewsMarc

Any Record Collectors on here? on 16:26 - Jan 19 by Discodroids

Marc, i sold a huge volume of Vinyl ( to my eternal regret) on e bay in the late 2000's as far afield as Japan , New Zealand, America and all over Europe .
I dont know if things have changed since then but i didnt have any problems with collection of money via paypal .
What was major hassle/expense though, was ordering The protective Cardboard sleeves , Infills, Labels etc. Also you get people sending stuff back in crappy condition , or saying they ordered the wrong mix of the record etc etc. pain in the arse. I could only do it as it was full time for me when i was retraining,

Also, Not forgetting going up the post office every other day with stacks under my arm and being stuck in there for all eternity. Also you have the problem of the less sought after and desirable Records left that you cannot shift. I used to box them up and flog them as a job lot on e bay, or loot at the time. I think people flog records on gum tree.

its hassle , but I sold a load of records at boot sales as well. you usually get collectors mooching about very early, as soon as your unpacking your car they buy your stuff. i didnt even have to set up my stall on a few occassions.

good luck with the sale.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2016 16:28]

Fair do's mate, you must have been making a decent amount out of them to have gone to all the effort

Good point on boot sales. I remember doing one a few years back over Denham way and being swarmed by various 'buyers' as we pulled in to set up. Might be worth him giving one a go once the weather warms up a bit (or do boot sales go on all year round now?)
Any Record Collectors on here? on 17:41 - Jan 19 with 4577 viewsDees

It's worth checking what they're going for on Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/

Avoid any Record & Tape Exchanges!
Login to get fewer ads

Any Record Collectors on here? on 18:15 - Jan 19 with 4529 viewsBoston

Selling the record collection eh....heroin?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Any Record Collectors on here? on 18:53 - Jan 19 with 4480 viewsLblock

I suppose it's going to arrive one day but when it does, I shall weep uncontrollably.

My vinyl is my friend

And I dont wander around dressed like Roy Cropper

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Any Record Collectors on here? on 19:15 - Jan 19 with 4436 viewsPunteR

You can sell via Discogs as well . I've never done It but bought a few on there. Good well run site.
Disco's advice sounds spot on though.
Now is a good time to sell them as vinyl has made a bit of a comeback, although i'm not sure if it's the younger generation buying.
A new Technics 1200s turntable is going to be released ...

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Any Record Collectors on here? on 19:21 - Jan 19 with 4422 viewsqueensparker

Any Record Collectors on here? on 19:15 - Jan 19 by PunteR

You can sell via Discogs as well . I've never done It but bought a few on there. Good well run site.
Now is a good time to sell them as vinyl has made a bit of a comeback, although i'm not sure if it's the younger generation buying.

Apparently that new Technics is going to cost over 2 grand!

Might have to get my old 1210s (featuring authentic 90s burns, scratches and dents) out of the attic and see what they're worth...
Any Record Collectors on here? on 19:26 - Jan 19 with 4412 viewsmendipexile

Marc, I buy and sell loads of vinyl but really only 60s soul, R&B and Northern Soul. Some good advice already given on here. I have sold hundreds of records on ebay with no problems at all (apart from the postie smashing a couple up en route). As Disco said you can spend ages packing/posting them off though! Car boot sales are good if you know your stuff and what its worth.
Discogs is a good shout as they give low/high/avearge sale prices so he would get an idea of the value.
Dealers offers tend to be a bit low as they are looking to make a profit on sell ons., so it depends on what your relative is after. If they just want to sell at a reasonable price then i would spend some time valuing the collection and then haggle with a dealer. As long as there is some value in it for them they should be ok.
If they want top dollar for the vinyl then you really have to sell them individually or in small batches yourself.
When I first used ebay I put on two or three first just to see how it all went. They could try that if they are worried. Just remember all the fee stuff though to ebay and paypal. Good luck mate.
Any Record Collectors on here? on 19:29 - Jan 19 with 4408 viewsNW5Hoop

Any Record Collectors on here? on 16:10 - Jan 19 by LongsufferingR

No record shop gives you a fair price. And they will pick and choose what they want. Unless you sell via eBay or Discogs, you'll never get anywhere near the value of the records (and if you're selling via there, you need to know exactly what the condition of the records is, and what all the classifications actually mean). Best bet is to get a dealer to the house to buy the whole lot - that way you don't have the shlep them all to the west end and then take the unwanted ones home. There are plenty of dealers around. Google secondhand record dealer. (That's assuming you've got enough to be worth them making a trip - a few hundred, rather than a couple of dozen.)
Any Record Collectors on here? on 20:20 - Jan 19 with 4344 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Beanos in Croydon used to be the largest second hand record store in the country but it closed a good few years back. They paid over 10k for my uncles collection but said it was the largest they had ever seen.
Any Record Collectors on here? on 20:36 - Jan 19 with 4307 viewsLblock

Any Record Collectors on here? on 19:15 - Jan 19 by PunteR

Seriously sexy....

Always gets my juices flowing when I see those German pieces of teutonic engineering.

God knows why mine are in flight cases in my garage

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Any Record Collectors on here? on 20:43 - Jan 19 with 4302 viewsPunteR

Any Record Collectors on here? on 19:21 - Jan 19 by queensparker

Apparently that new Technics is going to cost over 2 grand!

Might have to get my old 1210s (featuring authentic 90s burns, scratches and dents) out of the attic and see what they're worth...

Yeh £2000 is way to steep. I'd rather an older set,bit cheaper but they're indestructible. They still hold their price . I keep toying with buying another pair .

Any Record Collectors on here? on 21:05 - Jan 19 with 4270 viewshorshamHoop

I have my dad's (no longer with us) considerable vinyl collection including some rare stuff but it is all classical and I have no idea what it is worth or how to go about valuing it- in some ways I would like to get a good price but also he would like it to go to someone who is a genuine collector or lover of this genre - any ideas welcome.
Any Record Collectors on here? on 21:08 - Jan 19 with 4262 viewsessextaxiboy

Adrians in Wickford where I live buys and sell records . They were the largest independent record shop in the UK at one time , used to have 4 shops in our little High St now just one but its packed with stock .
Any Record Collectors on here? on 23:46 - Jan 19 with 4164 viewsPunteR

Any Record Collectors on here? on 20:36 - Jan 19 by Lblock

Seriously sexy....

Always gets my juices flowing when I see those German pieces of teutonic engineering.

God knows why mine are in flight cases in my garage

The wheels of steel. Perfect design,a thing of beauty.
I have to make do with a Numark USB turntable these days,converting to mp3 is not as fun as mixing,that's for sure. I know there's programs you can download to mix but its nowhere near as fun as spinning records. I spend more time on YouTube looking for trax I can never remember the name of.
Downloads are just not the same as vinyl but I guess more practical for DJs these days.
I saw an interview with Fatboy slim and he uses a program that presets all his tunes to 128bpm as it saves him time and effort. Where's the fun in that. ?

Any Record Collectors on here? on 09:57 - Jan 20 with 4069 viewsMarc

Cheers for the advice all

Good to see it veered off onto a discussion about turntables. My older brother had a set of 1210s many years ago, probably still has them stored away somewhere.
Any Record Collectors on here? on 10:15 - Jan 20 with 4049 viewsRamseyR

I run my own ebay/amazon business selling 150+ items every day, seven days a week. When you list on ebay set up for paypal INSTANT payment. That way they can't buy without paying, so it's one less avenue to chase.
Approx 1 in 200 of our items go missing in the post (or are claimed not to have been received). Genuine first party fraud is fairly rare but it does happen. This happens more with with electricals etc than I suspect would be the case with vinyl.
Research your post/packaging properly and and make sure the seller pays what it costs you (no more). Your ebay/paypal fees will take a further approx 20% of the value you sold it for, but your returns will be better than selling to a dealer, albeit you have to do the legwork.
Ebay does have it's risks but if you're a genuine seller and you list them with an accurate description (don't say good condition, if they're not!) you're unlikely to have probs.
Disco's point about queing in the post office is not to be underestimated. Luckily I'm at a scale where they come to me!
Any Record Collectors on here? on 09:34 - Jan 21 with 3926 viewssilky

Discogs all the way! It's been my Vinyl Bible since 2004. Great site.

Still rocking 1200 MKII

Poll: Do you think this current QPR team has got what is takes to go up this year?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024