Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Deutschland '83 01:13 - Jan 19 with 7364 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Just finished this. Well worth watching. Smart, pacey and well made. Good soundtrack too.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Deutschland '83 on 01:19 - Jan 19 with 5306 viewsfrancisbowles

I've been enjoying this as well, Brian. Seen two or three episodes so far. Have I only got one more to watch or have you seen it on a different channel in my ancestral homeland?
Deutschland '83 on 09:15 - Jan 19 with 5182 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Deutschland '83 on 01:19 - Jan 19 by francisbowles

I've been enjoying this as well, Brian. Seen two or three episodes so far. Have I only got one more to watch or have you seen it on a different channel in my ancestral homeland?

There are eight episodes in total, Francis. We've had seven here in Ireland. I, ahem, found the last one.

Deutschland '83 on 10:42 - Jan 19 with 5109 viewsDiscodroids

Deutschland '83 on 09:15 - Jan 19 by BrianMcCarthy

There are eight episodes in total, Francis. We've had seven here in Ireland. I, ahem, found the last one.

Ive got them recorded, looking forward to watching them Bri.

if you get a chance , im sure you will like this film , 'The lives of others'.

Set in East Germany in the mid eighties . The Story of the Stasi and how one of its most clinical and efficient Agents turned against his country to help release the truth of the oppression enforced upon its people. I read that no suicide figures were ever released for many years in East Germany as the figures were so vast.

fantastic film.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Deutschland '83 on 10:47 - Jan 19 with 5101 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Deutschland '83 on 10:42 - Jan 19 by Discodroids

Set in East Germany in the mid eighties . The Story of the Stasi and how one of its most clinical and efficient Agents turned against his country to help release the truth of the oppression enforced upon its people. I read that no suicide figures were ever released for many years in East Germany as the figures were so vast.

fantastic film.

Superb film, Disco. Absolutely superb.

Deutschland '83 on 12:13 - Jan 19 with 5004 viewsHantsR

I'm watching this and it's got us hooked despite stretching the imagination a bit at times. As you say, the soundtrack is very good - A A Gill mentioned the great soundtrack in his Sunday Times TV review, singling out Nena 99 Red Balloons sung in original German, as that was one of his Desert Island Discs!

Agree, Lives of Others is an excellent film.
Deutschland '83 on 12:23 - Jan 19 with 4977 viewsJuzzie

fantastic film.

I saw this at the cinema, great film.

Whilst watching the latest series of Homeland, I recognised the actor who played Otto Düring but couldn't think where from. He was the lead in The Lives Of Others.

I have Deutschland '83 recorded as each episode is aired, need to get time to watch it.
Deutschland '83 on 12:30 - Jan 19 with 4957 viewsade_qpr

Deutschland '83 on 12:13 - Jan 19 by HantsR

I'm watching this and it's got us hooked despite stretching the imagination a bit at times. As you say, the soundtrack is very good - A A Gill mentioned the great soundtrack in his Sunday Times TV review, singling out Nena 99 Red Balloons sung in original German, as that was one of his Desert Island Discs!

Agree, Lives of Others is an excellent film.

Yes always prefered 99 Red Balloons in German.
To Brian and Disco thanks for the heads up on the series and the film both look interesting, will be looking out for them.

If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

Deutschland '83 on 12:47 - Jan 19 with 4924 viewsrobith

Got it recorded and looking forward to it.

Sadly it's been shedding viewers. 1.2m to 200k inside of 3 episodes. Same happened with The Returned too. Is reading subtitles really that hard!
Login to get fewer ads

Deutschland '83 on 13:16 - Jan 19 with 4878 viewsJuzzie

Deutschland '83 on 12:47 - Jan 19 by robith

Got it recorded and looking forward to it.

Sadly it's been shedding viewers. 1.2m to 200k inside of 3 episodes. Same happened with The Returned too. Is reading subtitles really that hard!

Clearly it is.

I now watch most TV with subtitles so as to not wake Juzzie Jnr up. Watching live football can be hilarious some of the gaffes that come up (I assume it's voice regcognition software most of the time with a real human doing the amends)

The other week "....careful tactics" came up on the screen as "Catholic terrorists"!!
Deutschland '83 on 13:22 - Jan 19 with 4859 viewsToast_R

I find 5 minutes of reading subtitles and it becomes second nature. This looks good so I will try and find it on 4 online. As far as subtitled films go, I still absolutely love Untouchable.

Blacksails series 3 starts later this month, I'm tempted to watch it on STARS but I'm also keen to wait until the Blu Ray comes out and buy it for a 2 day marathon in my own time.
Deutschland '83 on 13:27 - Jan 19 with 4848 viewsrobith

Deutschland '83 on 13:16 - Jan 19 by Juzzie

Clearly it is.

I now watch most TV with subtitles so as to not wake Juzzie Jnr up. Watching live football can be hilarious some of the gaffes that come up (I assume it's voice regcognition software most of the time with a real human doing the amends)

The other week "....careful tactics" came up on the screen as "Catholic terrorists"!!

Deutschland '83 on 14:00 - Jan 19 with 4790 viewsKonk

The lives of others is a brilliant film — great shout.

Returned — the first series was absolutely brilliant — loved it to bits and probably one of my favourite TV series in recent years — but the second series was just a bit rubbish. We abandoned it after 4-5 episodes and I’m not surprised its viewing figures took a dive — I don’t know anyone who persisted with it.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Deutschland '83 on 16:45 - Jan 19 with 4673 viewsHantsR

Re subtitles. I actually quite like them and certainly prefer them to dubbed dialogue, which is invariably awful. I have taken to using subtitles on some programmes such as True Detective and Fargo so I can properly follow the mumbled dialogue and actually remember charter names!
Deutschland '83 on 16:48 - Jan 19 with 4664 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Deutschland '83 on 16:45 - Jan 19 by HantsR

Re subtitles. I actually quite like them and certainly prefer them to dubbed dialogue, which is invariably awful. I have taken to using subtitles on some programmes such as True Detective and Fargo so I can properly follow the mumbled dialogue and actually remember charter names!

I use them too sometimes as a check. Started with the first few episodes of The Wire - I was lost!

Deutschland '83 on 18:42 - Jan 19 with 4584 viewsenfieldargh

Deutschland '83 on 13:22 - Jan 19 by Toast_R

I find 5 minutes of reading subtitles and it becomes second nature. This looks good so I will try and find it on 4 online. As far as subtitled films go, I still absolutely love Untouchable.

Blacksails series 3 starts later this month, I'm tempted to watch it on STARS but I'm also keen to wait until the Blu Ray comes out and buy it for a 2 day marathon in my own time.

Loved series 1 & 2 of black sails

What's is STARS toast? Is it a sky channel I've got but don't know I have?

Do you have a start date for it?

Loving boardwalk empire on sky box sets

Fargo is great although missed episodes 1/2 of season 2 but plused the rest. Any idea how I can get to see eps 1-2?

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Deutschland '83 on 20:30 - Jan 19 with 4518 viewsderbyhoop

Another very promising series is Spin, available on All 4. One of the stars is Gregory Fitoussi from Spiral (sadly no Audrey Fleurot or Christine Proust). It's a French political thriller about the PR men - the French title translates to The Men in the Shade. Watched the first 3 and it is good stuff.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Deutschland '83 on 20:37 - Jan 19 with 4506 viewsMrSheen

Deutschland '83 on 20:30 - Jan 19 by derbyhoop

Another very promising series is Spin, available on All 4. One of the stars is Gregory Fitoussi from Spiral (sadly no Audrey Fleurot or Christine Proust). It's a French political thriller about the PR men - the French title translates to The Men in the Shade. Watched the first 3 and it is good stuff.

Et aussi pas de Gilooooooouuuuuuuuu? Ah non, merde!
Deutschland '83 on 20:55 - Jan 19 with 4486 viewsderbyhoop

Deutschland '83 on 20:37 - Jan 19 by MrSheen

Et aussi pas de Gilooooooouuuuuuuuu? Ah non, merde!

n'importe quoi.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Deutschland '83 on 21:26 - Jan 19 with 4463 viewsMrSheen

Deutschland '83 on 20:55 - Jan 19 by derbyhoop

n'importe quoi.

Spiral must be back soon. Laure was last seen floating in the lido with stab wounds. I forget what Josephine was up to. Going bonkers after Pierre died?
[Post edited 19 Jan 2016 21:28]
Deutschland '83 on 23:08 - Jan 19 with 4396 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Where's the best place to find Spiral, do any of you fine people know? I'm on cable not Sky.

Deutschland '83 on 23:14 - Jan 19 with 4391 viewsPommyhoop

fantastic film.

Cheers for that Disco.I'll have to keep an eye out.
And likewise for D.83 Brian.
Has anyone seen Jack Strong.
It is a true story about how a Polish Colonel turned spy and gave away very important military secrets to the Americans
Good film.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Deutschland '83 on 02:52 - Jan 20 with 4336 viewsisawqpratwcity

Deutschland '83 on 16:45 - Jan 19 by HantsR

Getting old now and often need subtitles or else constantly jumping back to re-listen to some garbled dialogue. Partly my own fault, I liked to stand next to speakers at gigs to 'feel' the music, but no hearing aid yet. Programs with heavy accents or stylised mumbling are especially difficult.

But there is a plus side. Subtitled shows are easy to watch at 2x speed, if you aren't concerned about sensing artistically 'the passage of time' or measuring Pinteresque silences. Never comedy, though. My PVR (because of ads and 'convenience' I never watch anything live except sports) will play 2x speed and leave the dialogue intelligible (compression by dropping frames rather than increasing frequency: voices aren't 'chipmunked') so programs with good diction like news, current affairs, etc, can be sped through. You just have to think faster. Some programs are now irritatingly slow to watch at normal speed.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Deutschland '83 on 06:22 - Jan 20 with 4293 viewsdistortR

Is deutschland 83 the sequel to uk 82?

How is our inner-turmoiled skinhead? Is the theme tune by the exploited? If not, why not?
Deutschland '83 on 07:01 - Jan 20 with 4272 viewsMrSheen

Deutschland '83 on 23:08 - Jan 19 by BrianMcCarthy

Where's the best place to find Spiral, do any of you fine people know? I'm on cable not Sky.

You can buy series as a stream from Amazon, Brian. But I'm sure there are alternatives...
Deutschland '83 on 07:33 - Jan 20 with 4254 viewsKonk

Deutschland '83 on 07:01 - Jan 20 by MrSheen

You can buy series as a stream from Amazon, Brian. But I'm sure there are alternatives...

Be warned, Brian, that you will spend the rest of your life shouting "Putain!" whenever something goes wrong. And you'll also find yourself hankering after an orange armband to stick over your coat. I got the box set from Fopp for £15 or something.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024