Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Could this work? 12:09 - Apr 2 with 22600 viewsR17ALE

Given the latest set of accounts show us making a £1.4m profit and that gate income was only £900,000 we would still have made £500,000 if we'd let everyone in for nowt.

Now that we own the stadium and keep all match day income, has the time arrived for us to scrap admission charges completely?

And I bet if we did, crowds would only go up slightly which sort of answers the question!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Could this work? on 14:26 - Apr 5 with 2351 viewsLuke8686

With TS on this one. Didn't Bury attract about 8000 when they had a free entry game a couple of years back? There's definitely a market to be tapped into out there and I'm not sure what makes you think we wouldn't attract thousands more if prices were slashed when we haven't tried anything radical before.

Personally excited and optimistic about the announcement on the 18th, Frances would have spoken to fans' concerns about low crowds over the course of this season and I'm hopeful she has a new, fresh approach to try and increase crowds, even if it isn't the Hartlepool model.
Could this work? on 15:21 - Apr 5 with 2275 viewsTalkingSutty

Could this work? on 14:09 - Apr 5 by NorthYorksDale

I considered a season ticket this year at the early bird price but as I can't get to all games decided I'd be better off just paying on the gate. I didn't know about the country 10 ticket as it didn't seem to be advertised with the early bird offers. If I'd known I'd have got one for me and the lad.

As it turns out I've only got to around 5 or 6 home games this season and probably a similar number of away games. If I'd had the season ticket you can be damn sure I'd have got to a lot more games as once I have it I want to get the best value from it. Now that we own the ground surely we want me, my lad and the mate he brings along into the ground as much as possible.

At £100 (probably £150) there would be no question I'd buy one for me and a spare as well , plus 2 junior season tickets (I'm assuming they'd be no more than £50). The club would be getting a lot more out of me than they have this season and I'd wager there are probably 1k+ others at least that are in similar positions in terms of number of games they attend each season.

My view is we have 3 different groups of supporters:
1. The hard core, season ticket holder in most cases, will always be there (whilst still alive)
2. Dale supporters, like me, try to get to as many games as they can but its no longer a priority
3. Non Dale supporters, will sometimes turn up to watch a bit of footy.

The trick for me is to get all of the second group in the ground at the same time. When we see the big crowds of 6k etc, it's all those supporters that have said I don't want to miss this one that get the figure up. We need to find a way of influenincing that group to come more often. The only way I see that happening is to reduce the season ticket price to a point whereby I just can't turn it down.

The question is would the extra revenue from supporters like me and additional revenue in the ground cover the shortfall from the lower price paid by the hard core. I'd suggest it would but if not the difference wouldn't be that great and there's never going to be a better chance to try it than now.

Thanks for posting,really glad you made the effort because it's fans like you that need their voices to be heard. You and your kids are the important ones and what a shame that you are priced out of attending every game, no consolation but there will be loads like you.

Some individuals are embarrassed to suggest they struggle financially when it comes to attending games but they shouldn't be.At current prices when you factor in travelling and refreshments it equates to going to the theatre every week or so and how many people can afford to do that? Not very many.

How about current ST holders pay 250 quid each for next seasons ticket anywhere in the ground, but new applicants get one for 150quid. Inside the 250quid ST is a voucher to knock 50 quid off the season after. The ST price then being 200 quid for everybody in 2 years time. I know it's a bit unfair on the current ST holders but by doing it that way the Club are still guaranteed a good return no matter what.
[Post edited 5 Apr 2016 15:35]
Could this work? on 15:57 - Apr 5 with 2218 viewsrobbowood

Could this work? on 15:21 - Apr 5 by TalkingSutty

Thanks for posting,really glad you made the effort because it's fans like you that need their voices to be heard. You and your kids are the important ones and what a shame that you are priced out of attending every game, no consolation but there will be loads like you.

Some individuals are embarrassed to suggest they struggle financially when it comes to attending games but they shouldn't be.At current prices when you factor in travelling and refreshments it equates to going to the theatre every week or so and how many people can afford to do that? Not very many.

How about current ST holders pay 250 quid each for next seasons ticket anywhere in the ground, but new applicants get one for 150quid. Inside the 250quid ST is a voucher to knock 50 quid off the season after. The ST price then being 200 quid for everybody in 2 years time. I know it's a bit unfair on the current ST holders but by doing it that way the Club are still guaranteed a good return no matter what.

As a season ticket holder for many years I certainly wouldn't be against new season ticket holders paying £150

I would also favour all under 16s getting in for nothing
Could this work? on 16:07 - Apr 5 with 2198 viewsTalkingSutty

Could this work? on 15:57 - Apr 5 by robbowood

As a season ticket holder for many years I certainly wouldn't be against new season ticket holders paying £150

I would also favour all under 16s getting in for nothing

I feel the same way. Good suggestions.
Could this work? on 16:10 - Apr 5 with 2184 viewsjudd

I miss climbing in.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Could this work? on 16:20 - Apr 5 with 2167 viewssykeboy

Me and my mate are born and bred Rochdale living South Manchester and having been discussing what price would entice us to purchase a season ticket we still attend on a very regular basis but our kids are now older and at uni or working meaning one of us can be left Billy no mates and therefore deciding to give some games a miss, for what it's worth our opinion is a ticket priced £200 - £220 we would purchase a ticket meaning the incentive would there to attend more games given they have been paid for & the resulting extra revenue from beer etc that we purchase when attending games would also benefit the club
Could this work? on 16:22 - Apr 5 with 2155 viewspioneer

I understand your motives but the season ticket is easily transferable. If I was an existing season ticket holder i'd just get someone else to buy the season ticket for next season for me at the lower price. I dont think you can segment the market that easily (or even that you should). You are essentially asking existing season ticket holders to make a donation to the club on top of the market price for the ticket - you can do that anytime - you dont need to conceal it through charging them more for a season ticket.

I think more fundamentally the club has to decide whether its goal is to maximise revenue at the turnstile or maximise numbers in the ground - the two probably have different implications for pricing structure. And have others have pointed revenue at the turnstile is just one way of getting into peoples pockets. Only when they are in/at the ground are they buying souveniers, programmes, pies, beer etc.

Lost in all these discussions has been the point that has been made many times in the past - even if people want to pay the price of admission we often make it so damn difficult for them to do it. I hope that will be a part of any pricing policy.
Could this work? on 16:22 - Apr 5 with 2155 viewsNorthYorksDale

I'm lucky enough to be in a position that I'm not currently priced out of coming. I'd agree that there are many that are and not too long ago I was in the position that cost was very much a consideration.

For me it's more that due to my location along with other factors that I know that I will not be able to get to enough games to make a season ticket beneficial cost wise as it's cheaper to just pay on the gate for all the games I know I could actually make.

The problem with that is when the games that I can make come around there is often a choice do I go to Dale or do I or the lad do X,Y or Z. If we had the the ticket anyway X, Y and Z would be a lot less likely to win the argument as I've already paid for my ticket ( I live in Yarkshire now).

The second group of attendees I referred to ie Dale supporters that get to around 5-10 games a season....there will be different reasons within that group that limit their attendance. If it's it's cost then a significantly reduced ST gets those guys in, for the rest where it's not cost then a significantly reduced price ST becomes too good to turn down as we'd probably be nailed on to be spending about that anyway. im not saying that group would suddenly attend every game but it would be a significant increase. I reckon I'd get to minimum 15 games instead of 5/6 and I'd be trying for as many as I could as my mindset changes to "well I've already paid for it" ( even though the reality is I wouldn't be paying a lot different in total).
Login to get fewer ads

Could this work? on 16:28 - Apr 5 with 2132 viewspioneer

Could this work? on 16:22 - Apr 5 by NorthYorksDale

I'm lucky enough to be in a position that I'm not currently priced out of coming. I'd agree that there are many that are and not too long ago I was in the position that cost was very much a consideration.

For me it's more that due to my location along with other factors that I know that I will not be able to get to enough games to make a season ticket beneficial cost wise as it's cheaper to just pay on the gate for all the games I know I could actually make.

The problem with that is when the games that I can make come around there is often a choice do I go to Dale or do I or the lad do X,Y or Z. If we had the the ticket anyway X, Y and Z would be a lot less likely to win the argument as I've already paid for my ticket ( I live in Yarkshire now).

The second group of attendees I referred to ie Dale supporters that get to around 5-10 games a season....there will be different reasons within that group that limit their attendance. If it's it's cost then a significantly reduced ST gets those guys in, for the rest where it's not cost then a significantly reduced price ST becomes too good to turn down as we'd probably be nailed on to be spending about that anyway. im not saying that group would suddenly attend every game but it would be a significant increase. I reckon I'd get to minimum 15 games instead of 5/6 and I'd be trying for as many as I could as my mindset changes to "well I've already paid for it" ( even though the reality is I wouldn't be paying a lot different in total).

And that is the key factor many on here have been hammering away at for ages in terms of coming up with mini packs, reduced advanced ticketing etc - its called prepayment - get the money out of folks pockets so it becomes a bigger issue to 'not go' when the time comes - and even if they dont go - you still have taken admission money off them for the game.
Could this work? on 16:29 - Apr 5 with 2131 views442Dale

I don't think any supporter is naive enough to not be aware of the financial issues around making changes to pricing. It's all about being brave enough for one season to make getting people into the ground the main priority over profits. Whether that be 5 people, 50 or 500. Let's make it clear we're aware of the problem and will try something new across all sections of the fanbase.

It's been said over and over, if we don't do it this season when everything is in our favour, it's doubtful we ever will.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Could this work? on 16:36 - Apr 5 with 2110 viewsaleanddale

Could this work? on 14:26 - Apr 5 by Luke8686

With TS on this one. Didn't Bury attract about 8000 when they had a free entry game a couple of years back? There's definitely a market to be tapped into out there and I'm not sure what makes you think we wouldn't attract thousands more if prices were slashed when we haven't tried anything radical before.

Personally excited and optimistic about the announcement on the 18th, Frances would have spoken to fans' concerns about low crowds over the course of this season and I'm hopeful she has a new, fresh approach to try and increase crowds, even if it isn't the Hartlepool model.

i am less optimistic ( lets say more cautious ) about the 18th announcement.

I heard on a slender grapevine that it will be a freeze on all prices certainly not the innovative thinking announcement we were all hoping for.

slow burn at Dale isn't it!!!

others have mentioned this should have been a "free Hit" for the club on the back of a sound set of results.

I have no idea how many season tickets we sell but would we could we have doubled the numbers at Half of the price?

Then make matchday something special and bigger crowds attract interest and more floaters take interest.

The current "on the Day" prices have to be frozen to increase them IMHO would be commercial suicide!.

Get double the amount of tickets sold at half the price with a real sales push. Combine this with more previous Dale games on the big screen at 12pm home Saturdays and well kept cask marque ales at reasonable prices and the club would be onto a winner!!!

promotion ale at £2.50 a pint 12-2pm to encourage people down.

put a bowl of free chips on every table - or summat.

does the board read this Could it work thread??????
[Post edited 5 Apr 2016 17:03]
Could this work? on 16:54 - Apr 5 with 2070 viewsR_AFC

How about encouraging the businesses we already have partnerships with to come to games (and the ones that don't) ? Offering the businesses who sponsor us discounted tickets for their staff. And possibly their customers. I know the leisure centre in town, offered cheaper gym memberships to Assist Recruitment (JD Sports warehouse staff) staff. If this was available, maybe a group of workers may come down and encourage each other to go, spend money in the bars and at the game. With the addition of a free pint at the Radcliffe bar in the hope they stay and have a few more. Soccer Factory could give discounts to their customers.

Local junior football clubs could be given discounts and tickets (Pennine Juniors/Rochdale St Clements/ Bridge Colts/ Copper Pot etc) could also include schools or school football teams. If some of the kids from the team are going and talking about it, then they encourage their friends to come and pester their parents to take them.

Many students buy bus passes to get to school and College, offer discounts to the bus company so that people with bus passes can get discounted tickets.

Vouchers/discounts to be handed out in local supermarkets with every shop.

Season ticket offer of discounted drinks in our bars.

Would giving out free/heavily discounted tickets to the above work ? If we had partnerships with local businesses surely it could benefit us both. Customers shop there to get discounted Dale tickets, Dale get more people on seats. Discount ideas (buy one get one free/ collect 5 for free ticket/ One adult free with paying Kid/ Half price for football teams 5 for 2/ Team and a parent each child £XX)

In addition: a loyalty card scheme for those who don't go to every game. come to X games get one free.

Up the dale!
Poll: Who would you want to see in net against Barnsley?

Could this work? on 16:55 - Apr 5 with 2060 viewsD_Alien

Could this work? on 16:36 - Apr 5 by aleanddale

i am less optimistic ( lets say more cautious ) about the 18th announcement.

I heard on a slender grapevine that it will be a freeze on all prices certainly not the innovative thinking announcement we were all hoping for.

slow burn at Dale isn't it!!!

others have mentioned this should have been a "free Hit" for the club on the back of a sound set of results.

I have no idea how many season tickets we sell but would we could we have doubled the numbers at Half of the price?

Then make matchday something special and bigger crowds attract interest and more floaters take interest.

The current "on the Day" prices have to be frozen to increase them IMHO would be commercial suicide!.

Get double the amount of tickets sold at half the price with a real sales push. Combine this with more previous Dale games on the big screen at 12pm home Saturdays and well kept cask marque ales at reasonable prices and the club would be onto a winner!!!

promotion ale at £2.50 a pint 12-2pm to encourage people down.

put a bowl of free chips on every table - or summat.

does the board read this Could it work thread??????
[Post edited 5 Apr 2016 17:03]

Well-kept cask ales, at below £3 a pint are a must, but not sure how that'd fit in with early kick-offs? Having the early kick-off in the premier league / championship on the screens will do the trick.

Give football fans/folk what they want and they will come.
[Post edited 5 Apr 2016 16:58]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Could this work? on 17:00 - Apr 5 with 2036 viewsaleanddale

Could this work? on 16:55 - Apr 5 by D_Alien

Well-kept cask ales, at below £3 a pint are a must, but not sure how that'd fit in with early kick-offs? Having the early kick-off in the premier league / championship on the screens will do the trick.

I will amend...

I meant the previous week Dale game on a big screen replayed at 12.00.

Not the match itself that of course HAS to be Saturday at 3pm as much as possible.

apologies!! my fingers tapped quicker than my brain!!!

And YES YES and YES to Casque Mark.... hence well kept ales at less than £3.00.

£2.50 between 12-2pm as promotions to get folk in early!!

[Post edited 5 Apr 2016 17:02]
Could this work? on 17:30 - Apr 5 with 1963 viewsroccydaleian

Could this work? on 16:54 - Apr 5 by R_AFC

How about encouraging the businesses we already have partnerships with to come to games (and the ones that don't) ? Offering the businesses who sponsor us discounted tickets for their staff. And possibly their customers. I know the leisure centre in town, offered cheaper gym memberships to Assist Recruitment (JD Sports warehouse staff) staff. If this was available, maybe a group of workers may come down and encourage each other to go, spend money in the bars and at the game. With the addition of a free pint at the Radcliffe bar in the hope they stay and have a few more. Soccer Factory could give discounts to their customers.

Local junior football clubs could be given discounts and tickets (Pennine Juniors/Rochdale St Clements/ Bridge Colts/ Copper Pot etc) could also include schools or school football teams. If some of the kids from the team are going and talking about it, then they encourage their friends to come and pester their parents to take them.

Many students buy bus passes to get to school and College, offer discounts to the bus company so that people with bus passes can get discounted tickets.

Would giving out free/heavily discounted tickets to the above work ? If we had partnerships with local businesses surely it could benefit us both. Customers shop there to get discounted Dale tickets, Dale get more people on seats. Discount ideas (buy one get one free/ collect 5 for free ticket/ One adult free with paying Kid/ Half price for football teams 5 for 2/ Team and a parent each child £XX)

In addition: a loyalty card scheme for those who don't go to every game. come to X games get one free.

Why should people who don't go to every game get a free one, when the people who do get nowt? Their are some decent ideas on this thread, but i think anything brought in should be for everyone and not exclude people who've been loyally going for years.It's not like shopping around for broadband or something where different companies offer differing prices for the same thing.

All for offering school kids and and junior football clubs freebies though.
[Post edited 5 Apr 2016 17:33]
Could this work? on 17:44 - Apr 5 with 1935 viewsD_Alien

Could this work? on 17:00 - Apr 5 by aleanddale

I will amend...

I meant the previous week Dale game on a big screen replayed at 12.00.

Not the match itself that of course HAS to be Saturday at 3pm as much as possible.

apologies!! my fingers tapped quicker than my brain!!!

And YES YES and YES to Casque Mark.... hence well kept ales at less than £3.00.

£2.50 between 12-2pm as promotions to get folk in early!!

[Post edited 5 Apr 2016 17:02]

"And YES YES and YES to Casque Mark.... hence well kept ales at less than £3.00."

Give fans what they want, and they will COME

Could this work? on 18:00 - Apr 5 with 1900 viewsR17ALE

Having only resumed this thread on page four about 20 minutes ago, I was put in mind of those pubs who issue cards which are stamped each time you buy a pint. Buy 5, get the 6th one free type things. You beat me to it!

To get North Yorks Dale's 2nd group of supporters into coming more often, I'm sure the club could do similar. You're not going to go to 4 games and just stop when in effect the next two games are half price.

As Pioneer correctly pointed out, if we did introduce such a scheme (or any scheme) the t@c we'd place alongside it would virtually rule out any take up. After all, this is the club who issues a free programme ticket in the season ticket book and you cannot use it with a programme seller, instead having to trek round to the shop when you're on the last minute. Clearly, nobody has yet grasped that such a ticket equals £3 when the seller has his money counted!

In my view, folk want value, simplicity, and an openness from the club that makes them a pleasure to do business with.* It sounds bloody old fashioned I know, but there's a lot to be said for good customer relations. Crowds haven't reduced because of the football, it's because the club make life bloody hard work, unintentionally I think.

*1 things like no added charges if someone pays on plastic, orders over the phone, or if someone wants something posted out.

*2 If there's a kid-a-quid offer on, or some other offer, just ask people to turn up at least 30 minutes before kick-off at the ticket office if data is being collected for example. And, what would it really cost us to say, here's a voucher for a free drink at the kiosk while you're waiting for the game to start, plus a few bits and bats for the child.

Instead it's (think German accent!) You must buy your tickets in advance at ze ticket office on ze Monday before ze match at 19.00 hours exactly standing on your head!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Could this work? on 18:07 - Apr 5 with 1879 viewsaleanddale

Could this work? on 17:44 - Apr 5 by D_Alien

"And YES YES and YES to Casque Mark.... hence well kept ales at less than £3.00."

Give fans what they want, and they will COME

Ha ha

They will!!

ultimately we need to become a community Hub...

and we are after all a 2000+ strong community and looking to grow!!!!
Could this work? on 18:27 - Apr 5 with 1824 viewsR_AFC

Could this work? on 17:30 - Apr 5 by roccydaleian

Why should people who don't go to every game get a free one, when the people who do get nowt? Their are some decent ideas on this thread, but i think anything brought in should be for everyone and not exclude people who've been loyally going for years.It's not like shopping around for broadband or something where different companies offer differing prices for the same thing.

All for offering school kids and and junior football clubs freebies though.
[Post edited 5 Apr 2016 17:33]

I see your point. However, the ideas are just more as an addition to cheap season tickets. Season tickets cheap for all to persuade the occasional "floating supporters" and reward loyal supporters. And then the ideas mentioned to supplement and boost the crowds even further in attempt to create new occasional " floating fans", out of those who very rarely go. It creates stronger links with the businesses. Encourages more businesses to advertise at Dale and adds extra value to the deal for the sponsors. We get more people to fill up the seats. I suppose it could be seen as rewarding people who never go, depending how it was executed, but just another idea thrown in there to consider.

Up the dale!
Poll: Who would you want to see in net against Barnsley?

Could this work? on 19:22 - Apr 5 with 1742 viewsTalkingSutty

Could this work? on 18:00 - Apr 5 by R17ALE

Having only resumed this thread on page four about 20 minutes ago, I was put in mind of those pubs who issue cards which are stamped each time you buy a pint. Buy 5, get the 6th one free type things. You beat me to it!

To get North Yorks Dale's 2nd group of supporters into coming more often, I'm sure the club could do similar. You're not going to go to 4 games and just stop when in effect the next two games are half price.

As Pioneer correctly pointed out, if we did introduce such a scheme (or any scheme) the t@c we'd place alongside it would virtually rule out any take up. After all, this is the club who issues a free programme ticket in the season ticket book and you cannot use it with a programme seller, instead having to trek round to the shop when you're on the last minute. Clearly, nobody has yet grasped that such a ticket equals £3 when the seller has his money counted!

In my view, folk want value, simplicity, and an openness from the club that makes them a pleasure to do business with.* It sounds bloody old fashioned I know, but there's a lot to be said for good customer relations. Crowds haven't reduced because of the football, it's because the club make life bloody hard work, unintentionally I think.

*1 things like no added charges if someone pays on plastic, orders over the phone, or if someone wants something posted out.

*2 If there's a kid-a-quid offer on, or some other offer, just ask people to turn up at least 30 minutes before kick-off at the ticket office if data is being collected for example. And, what would it really cost us to say, here's a voucher for a free drink at the kiosk while you're waiting for the game to start, plus a few bits and bats for the child.

Instead it's (think German accent!) You must buy your tickets in advance at ze ticket office on ze Monday before ze match at 19.00 hours exactly standing on your head!

Spot on, it's all commonsense.
Could this work? on 21:18 - Apr 5 with 1646 viewsrochdaleriddler

Could this work? on 16:55 - Apr 5 by D_Alien

But at the moment i can go to the flying horse, get a decent pint for between 2-3 quid, have a proper pub atmosphere, decent cheap food. I can saunter up to ratcliffe at 2-45 for a crap pint just before game, i would love to put my cash into the club, but the pub experience here is piss poor, it could and must be better. As for Studds, what a dingy hole. Burgers, pie and peas for a few quid, real ale for £2.50. and sell match tickets for a pund off with a pint before 2, that mY WORK

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Could this work? on 21:30 - Apr 5 with 1628 viewsD_Alien

Could this work? on 21:18 - Apr 5 by rochdaleriddler

But at the moment i can go to the flying horse, get a decent pint for between 2-3 quid, have a proper pub atmosphere, decent cheap food. I can saunter up to ratcliffe at 2-45 for a crap pint just before game, i would love to put my cash into the club, but the pub experience here is piss poor, it could and must be better. As for Studds, what a dingy hole. Burgers, pie and peas for a few quid, real ale for £2.50. and sell match tickets for a pund off with a pint before 2, that mY WORK

Couldn't agree more.

Are you on the ale rr? (Just seen your joe bunney post)

Could this work? on 21:41 - Apr 5 with 1598 viewsrochdaleriddler

Could this work? on 21:30 - Apr 5 by D_Alien

Couldn't agree more.

Are you on the ale rr? (Just seen your joe bunney post)

well just had a couple of jennings cumberland-£8 for 8 Booths, whilst in garstang recently, ha well i like Joe Bunney and he has improved massively, in reality it is Lillis, but i like to be different!

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Could this work? on 21:52 - Apr 5 with 1575 viewsD_Alien

Could this work? on 21:41 - Apr 5 by rochdaleriddler

well just had a couple of jennings cumberland-£8 for 8 Booths, whilst in garstang recently, ha well i like Joe Bunney and he has improved massively, in reality it is Lillis, but i like to be different!

Glad to hear it

For a minute I thought you'd been watching him through beer goggles

[Post edited 5 Apr 2016 21:53]

Could this work? on 00:29 - Apr 6 with 1476 viewsolympicdale

Do you know if the leisure centre still offer this service, as a former Assist and current JD worker id be interested in this, we weren't told of any agreement with the leisure centre with regards to discounts, just the related shops that you get a 25% discount. Also, does anyone know where the new JD Gyms are going to be, I'm guessing by the old markets but yet to hear anything concrete.
[Post edited 6 Apr 2016 0:30]

Life is a game of fate.

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024