Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Could this work? 12:09 - Apr 2 with 22599 viewsR17ALE

Given the latest set of accounts show us making a £1.4m profit and that gate income was only £900,000 we would still have made £500,000 if we'd let everyone in for nowt.

Now that we own the stadium and keep all match day income, has the time arrived for us to scrap admission charges completely?

And I bet if we did, crowds would only go up slightly which sort of answers the question!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Could this work? on 08:52 - Apr 3 with 2408 viewsPorlicks

Now that Apple are making billions in profits, I can't wait for them to release their next, heavily discounted, iPhone. Or maybe they should just hand them out for free.

Shouldn't we use all this money for buying out the chippy? They probably sell more than the ground catering on match days.

Who are YOU with?

Could this work? on 09:11 - Apr 3 with 2389 viewsTalkingSutty

Could this work? on 08:40 - Apr 3 by isitme

I think we might be setting ourselves up for a disappointment. It wouldn't surprise me if the big announcement was a freeze in season ticket prices!

Seriously? I would expect it to be a bit more than that. I suppose it depends how urgently the Club want to address the dwindling home attendances. Maybe they are happy with 2500 home fans paying the current prices, why would they request fans to look out for the launch date if it's just to announce prices will be frozen, I don't get that one.
Could this work? on 09:19 - Apr 3 with 2376 viewsTalkingSutty

Could this work? on 08:52 - Apr 3 by Porlicks

Now that Apple are making billions in profits, I can't wait for them to release their next, heavily discounted, iPhone. Or maybe they should just hand them out for free.

Shouldn't we use all this money for buying out the chippy? They probably sell more than the ground catering on match days.

Not as daft as it sounds but we would probably sack the fish suppliers and concoct an alternative batter mix. Somebody at the Club would suddenly pronounce themselves as an expert when it comes to frying fish and then it would all go to rat shit!!

Employing the right qualified person to do the job and letting them get on with it is always key. Buy the Chippy and keep the same staff.

#Fishfryingpeople
[Post edited 3 Apr 2016 9:41]
Could this work? on 09:36 - Apr 3 with 2350 viewsDalenet

I must be missing something here. We don't make a profit every year. In fact hardly ever. This one--off profit was driven by cup revenue and player sales from 2 years ago. We are investing that windfall in buying the stadium, the Dale bars etc. Why would we use it to subsidise entrance fees instead?

If anything I would have liked any surplus to be have been used buying somewhere to build a training complex. For a League One club to not have anywhere of our own is still a problem and will always be an issue when we try to attract players
Could this work? on 09:38 - Apr 3 with 2340 views442Dale

Could this work? on 09:11 - Apr 3 by TalkingSutty

Seriously? I would expect it to be a bit more than that. I suppose it depends how urgently the Club want to address the dwindling home attendances. Maybe they are happy with 2500 home fans paying the current prices, why would they request fans to look out for the launch date if it's just to announce prices will be frozen, I don't get that one.

Some of what we do now is excellent, it's about building on that. For example the free season tickets for the U7s - that's great but someone has to bring them to games so if there's an attractively priced ST/matchday price that ensures the kid attends almost every game then everyone is a winner. No point in loads of kids having free ST if they're not actually in the ground every game!

In their answers to fans questions, http://www.daletrust.co.uk/2016/03/meeting-with-the-board-march-2016/ the club said the following:
"There will be a significant change in the approach by the club that will be announced as part of the season ticket / pricing plan for next season. This announcement will take place on Monday 18th"

A "significant change" indicates that it will presumably impact and benefit all current supporters, and hopefully plenty of potential fans who we will then have more chance of getting up to Spitland oing forward.

And there was also an encouraging response to this question:
"Q. What is the process around deciding on season ticket/matchday prices and what supporter input has been taken into account? 
A. The club take feedback on this all year round, including feedback from the Trust at meetings such as this. That feedback, coupled with market forces play a part in the decision making process."

Taking on board this feedback should ensure that the concerns raised in this thread will be addressed in some way. It'll be interesting to see what role the supporters/Trust's opinion is recognised on the 18th, because it's a real positive to see the club acknowledging this. 

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Could this work? on 09:56 - Apr 3 with 2292 views442Dale

Could this work? on 09:36 - Apr 3 by Dalenet

I must be missing something here. We don't make a profit every year. In fact hardly ever. This one--off profit was driven by cup revenue and player sales from 2 years ago. We are investing that windfall in buying the stadium, the Dale bars etc. Why would we use it to subsidise entrance fees instead?

If anything I would have liked any surplus to be have been used buying somewhere to build a training complex. For a League One club to not have anywhere of our own is still a problem and will always be an issue when we try to attract players

Before the accounts or Stadium purchase had even been announced this board was looking at ways of addressing entrance prices. Everyone is fully aware that revenue from the TV deal is going up so passing that onto supporters and potential supporters in some way is worth trying for one season surely?

The club have seemed to acknowledged this on their responses to fans above, so it's about combining this longer term issue around growing the fanbase with the ones raised by securing the stadium. We certainly need to look at the structure of the staffing within the club to capitalise on this too.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2016 11:08]

Could this work? on 10:52 - Apr 3 with 2223 viewsdingdangblue

Because these are our best days ever as a club - and home attendances are dropping rather than improving - to me that tells me that although the product is great - the price isn't attractive enough.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Could this work? on 10:55 - Apr 3 with 2212 viewsD_Alien

Could this work? on 08:40 - Apr 3 by isitme

I think we might be setting ourselves up for a disappointment. It wouldn't surprise me if the big announcement was a freeze in season ticket prices!

That'd be met with a frosty reception.

I'd estimate around 2300 home fans yesterday. Considering the run we've been on and the playoffs still within reach, the club need to address this issue and if they don't do so now, with everything in our favour, they never will.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Login to get fewer ads

Could this work? on 11:10 - Apr 3 with 2183 viewsTalkingSutty

How much do you think it would cost to maintain a fit for purpose training complex, not just the pitches, pay the extra staff required to run it and pay all the overheads. We would need to purchase equipment also to keep the pitches in order? Shower areas, Physio/medical rooms, catering facilities, equipment rooms, briefing rooms,Security etc. It's not just a case of buying a couple of grass pitches.

Forget about utilising our current groundstaff and equipment because that's already a full time job just to maintain one pitch. If you want a massive drain on the Clubs resources then buying and running our own training facilities will fulfill your wish.

Remember these are the good days and we can't attract a crowd. What happens if we slip back into league two and struggle on crowds of less than 2000, how do you fund this project then? It'll become a financial white elephant for the Club that still wouldn't match the facilities on offer at venues that we can currently rent. The manager would probably still end up wanting to rent an alternative complex that offered more luxury and you end up funding something that's not fit for purpose. Sorry to sound defeatist but we don't have anything like the money to make this work long term.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2016 11:16]
Could this work? on 11:13 - Apr 3 with 2173 viewsisitme

Could this work? on 10:55 - Apr 3 by D_Alien

That'd be met with a frosty reception.

I'd estimate around 2300 home fans yesterday. Considering the run we've been on and the playoffs still within reach, the club need to address this issue and if they don't do so now, with everything in our favour, they never will.

I don't disagree. I just have a feeling that the bargain season tickets that some people are expecting may not materialise.
Could this work? on 11:17 - Apr 3 with 2155 viewsR17ALE

Could this work? on 11:13 - Apr 3 by isitme

I don't disagree. I just have a feeling that the bargain season tickets that some people are expecting may not materialise.

I'm going to make a prediction that season ticket prices are going to rise, but there will be added value to them.

Could this work? on 11:19 - Apr 3 with 2140 viewsTalkingSutty

Could this work? on 11:13 - Apr 3 by isitme

Bloody hell, you sound more miserable than me
Could this work? on 11:20 - Apr 3 with 2137 views442Dale

Could this work? on 11:17 - Apr 3 by R17ALE

I'm going to make a prediction that season ticket prices are going to rise, but there will be added value to them.

What added value?

This "value of a season ticket" is only relevant if we have more fans buying them or if people can still get in on the day at a decent price. For example, I'd gladly pay full whack for mine if matchday prices were reduced to attract more fans.

Could this work? on 11:28 - Apr 3 with 2113 viewsTalkingSutty

Could this work? on 11:20 - Apr 3 by 442Dale

What added value?

This "value of a season ticket" is only relevant if we have more fans buying them or if people can still get in on the day at a decent price. For example, I'd gladly pay full whack for mine if matchday prices were reduced to attract more fans.

Maybe 'the added value' will entail the season ticket holders having to search for missing supporters themselves and giving them a voucher for reduced admission to the game. Obviously the floating fan then has to produce the voucher at the Club Office before midday on the day of the match and the voucher will be exchanged for a match ticket.

So the season ticket stays the same or increases and the season ticket holder then does the job of the Club Staff and goes out and recruits extra supporters, what a great idea
Could this work? on 11:40 - Apr 3 with 2089 viewsTalkingSutty

Let's just say you are correct with your assumption, how would that help to entice extra supporters?

Extra value to the season ticket could entice more of the current supporters to purchase one but it isn't suddenly going to have new fans flocking to the Club to purchase Season Tickets that are priced between 300-400 quid a pop. That's the problem, we need to make it affordable for the stay away supporters that have drifted away.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2016 11:41]
Could this work? on 11:44 - Apr 3 with 1903 viewsR17ALE

Could this work? on 11:20 - Apr 3 by 442Dale

What added value?

Don't know. Just a hunch.

But, we've got to accept (and I can't believe I'm typing this) that we're now an established League One club!

What do we do? Aim for a 40 year stretch in League One hoping to never go down?

Or do we prepare ourselves for a tilt at the play-offs next year?

If that's the case we need to fund a higher wage budget. Forget the player sales income we have, that will be used on the ground and pub purchase and developing Spotland in my view. There will come a time when the new Main Stand will be classed as the Old Main Stand for example.

If we're going to develop the club to try and take it to the next level, then sadly that is going to be reflected in admission prices! As will away games where we'll be expected to fork out up to £40 just to get in.

Could this work? on 11:46 - Apr 3 with 1891 viewsR17ALE

Could this work? on 11:40 - Apr 3 by TalkingSutty

Let's just say you are correct with your assumption, how would that help to entice extra supporters?

Extra value to the season ticket could entice more of the current supporters to purchase one but it isn't suddenly going to have new fans flocking to the Club to purchase Season Tickets that are priced between 300-400 quid a pop. That's the problem, we need to make it affordable for the stay away supporters that have drifted away.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2016 11:41]

New fans won't buy a season ticket whatever the cost.

We have around 2400 fans who come to most games. The ceiling therefore is 2400 season ticket sales.

Could this work? on 11:53 - Apr 3 with 1868 views1mark1

If the club are happy enough with the current levels of support then carry on with an relatively expensive product, otherwise if they want more regular attendees, they will have to offer better prices.

And back to the original question, definitely NOT. There has to be a value for watching non educational entertainment or sport. Low priced STs and block of tickets at low prices available to anyone, combined with good promoting of the product on offer will more than make up for the reduction in prices. I would also drop the match day prices by £2 apart from Main Stand and away end, but would issue £2 off vouchers at each match for Main Stand.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Could this work? on 11:53 - Apr 3 with 1868 views442Dale

Could this work? on 11:44 - Apr 3 by R17ALE

But, we've got to accept (and I can't believe I'm typing this) that we're now an established League One club!

If that's the case we need to fund a higher wage budget. Forget the player sales income we have, that will be used on the ground and pub purchase and developing Spotland in my view. There will come a time when the new Main Stand will be classed as the Old Main Stand for example.

If we're going to develop the club to try and take it to the next level, then sadly that is going to be reflected in admission prices! As will away games where we'll be expected to fork out up to £40 just to get in.

As we've illustrated for the last two seasons, we can compete with a low budget. Do we really think one season where ST revenue going down by 100k will affect that? Simply using Eastham instead of Lancashire would have seen us really hopeful of a top 6 place!

If people aren't paying those admission prices now (see DAlien's post) we have to do something. This could be a longer term problem if not, irrespective of division.

Could this work? on 11:56 - Apr 3 with 1861 viewsTalkingSutty

Could this work? on 11:44 - Apr 3 by R17ALE

We aren't an established league one club though, how can we be when we struggle to attract 2500 home fans? We all know that aiming for the Championship isn't on the agenda, the Chairman said it, the manager said it and some of the fans said it only last year. That's not suddenly going to change, we're not daft.

In my opinion we can't do anything until we really grasp the nettle and explore all avenues in an attempt to increase the home support. The manager bless him , has done all he can, what more can he do? We've seen football that we could only dream of,had two promotions, wiped the floor with the likes of Leeds and Forest and the crowd is decreasing.

I honestly don't think you are seeing the big picture with this one, you can't just keep bleeding a dwindling band of supporters and I don't buy into the tilt at the Championship neither. Fifth from bottom and sell our best players that's the diet, it'll be like that until we start getting bigger crowds.
Could this work? on 12:15 - Apr 3 with 1831 views442Dale

Could this work? on 11:56 - Apr 3 by TalkingSutty

We aren't an established league one club though, how can we be when we struggle to attract 2500 home fans? We all know that aiming for the Championship isn't on the agenda, the Chairman said it, the manager said it and some of the fans said it only last year. That's not suddenly going to change, we're not daft.

In my opinion we can't do anything until we really grasp the nettle and explore all avenues in an attempt to increase the home support. The manager bless him , has done all he can, what more can he do? We've seen football that we could only dream of,had two promotions, wiped the floor with the likes of Leeds and Forest and the crowd is decreasing.

I honestly don't think you are seeing the big picture with this one, you can't just keep bleeding a dwindling band of supporters and I don't buy into the tilt at the Championship neither. Fifth from bottom and sell our best players that's the diet, it'll be like that until we start getting bigger crowds.

And we know with the current manager it won't be fifth bottom. We overachieve and don't need to increase budgets massively to do that.

Could this work? on 12:15 - Apr 3 with 1827 viewsdingdangblue

The only value to me for a season ticket is paying for it all in June/July and then not having to pay £20 on the door.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Could this work? on 12:19 - Apr 3 with 1819 viewsTalkingSutty

Could this work? on 12:15 - Apr 3 by 442Dale

And we know with the current manager it won't be fifth bottom. We overachieve and don't need to increase budgets massively to do that.

He deserves a bit of help though and bigger crowds to appreciate what he puts out on the pitch.
Could this work? on 12:22 - Apr 3 with 1810 views1mark1

Could this work? on 11:46 - Apr 3 by R17ALE

New fans won't buy a season ticket whatever the cost.

We have around 2400 fans who come to most games. The ceiling therefore is 2400 season ticket sales.

Really? Do actually know that?

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Could this work? on 13:03 - Apr 3 with 1759 viewsR17ALE

Could this work? on 12:22 - Apr 3 by 1mark1

Really? Do actually know that?

Yes. I've looked at our average home support this season which generally hovers around this number. Assuming (and I don't know this) it's the same 2400 that turn up, then that is our customer base for season tickets.

You aren't going to get someone who doesn't like football, or who supports another club, buying a season ticket for Dale because it's cheap. And everyone reading this knows that is the case.

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024