Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Could this work? 12:09 - Apr 2 with 23220 viewsR17ALE

Given the latest set of accounts show us making a £1.4m profit and that gate income was only £900,000 we would still have made £500,000 if we'd let everyone in for nowt.

Now that we own the stadium and keep all match day income, has the time arrived for us to scrap admission charges completely?

And I bet if we did, crowds would only go up slightly which sort of answers the question!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Could this work? on 13:10 - Apr 3 with 2229 viewsR17ALE

Could this work? on 11:56 - Apr 3 by TalkingSutty

We aren't an established league one club though, how can we be when we struggle to attract 2500 home fans? We all know that aiming for the Championship isn't on the agenda, the Chairman said it, the manager said it and some of the fans said it only last year. That's not suddenly going to change, we're not daft.

In my opinion we can't do anything until we really grasp the nettle and explore all avenues in an attempt to increase the home support. The manager bless him , has done all he can, what more can he do? We've seen football that we could only dream of,had two promotions, wiped the floor with the likes of Leeds and Forest and the crowd is decreasing.

I honestly don't think you are seeing the big picture with this one, you can't just keep bleeding a dwindling band of supporters and I don't buy into the tilt at the Championship neither. Fifth from bottom and sell our best players that's the diet, it'll be like that until we start getting bigger crowds.

I think this season has demonstrated that we can be seen as a League One club on the pitch at least. Just like Accrington are a League Two club.

However, we know that next August the cry will be that we're still a League Two club learning to become a League One club and staying up is the priority.

I can live with that all day long, but potential new fans can't I think.

Put another way, today is like stepping out with Linda Lusardi having previously been welded to Linda Robson. New fans might be wanting a taste of Sam Fox however.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Could this work? on 13:20 - Apr 3 with 2192 viewsD_Alien

Could this work? on 13:10 - Apr 3 by R17ALE

I think this season has demonstrated that we can be seen as a League One club on the pitch at least. Just like Accrington are a League Two club.

However, we know that next August the cry will be that we're still a League Two club learning to become a League One club and staying up is the priority.

I can live with that all day long, but potential new fans can't I think.

Put another way, today is like stepping out with Linda Lusardi having previously been welded to Linda Robson. New fans might be wanting a taste of Sam Fox however.

I know some of us are getting on a bit, but the thought of being welded to anyone just doesn't add any value!

As for a taste of a menopausal Sam Fox...

[Post edited 3 Apr 2016 13:22]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Could this work? on 13:30 - Apr 3 with 2165 viewsDaleiLama

"Established" is open to interpretation, but after finishing (hopefully!) in the top half of L1 in two consecutive seasons would surely prove we "belong" there? IMO, we should only be looking up. It should be a mindset. Aim for the top and nowhere else.

As for the choice of 80s totty .......... I think that list is non-league now?!? Or gone to the wall?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Could this work? on 13:30 - Apr 3 with 2165 viewsrobbowood

If we can bring in £1.8 million for each financial year from transfer fees I'm defintiely all for free admission !!

But if we give free admission next season I doubt if we'd get 3000 home fans for most Saturday games and certainly not 2000 on a wet Tuesday night

Sadly we are not the only local club who are seeing our home crowds decrease. When clubs in the lower two divisions started charging £20 to pay on the day it seems many fans decided they would stop conming

Whatever the club come up with shortly in regard to season tickets I would be very surprised if a reduction in price brings in enough "new" season ticket holders to maintain the same level of income as we have had this season

Anything is worth a try but what the answer is in the long term heaven knows
Could this work? on 14:02 - Apr 3 with 2119 views1mark1

Could this work? on 13:03 - Apr 3 by R17ALE

Yes. I've looked at our average home support this season which generally hovers around this number. Assuming (and I don't know this) it's the same 2400 that turn up, then that is our customer base for season tickets.

You aren't going to get someone who doesn't like football, or who supports another club, buying a season ticket for Dale because it's cheap. And everyone reading this knows that is the case.

I bet out of the 2400, that there are about 1800/1900 go to every or nearly every match and the rest go from between a few times( like me at the mo) to about half or even more. I also KNOW some who would buy a ST if priced affordable or at least buy blocks of tickets on a slightly higher cost per game average of STs. We know that we have had occasions when there have been double the average home attendance turning up to support the Dale, and let's not forget that 18000 turned up to Wembley, when we had nearly 8000 home fans, at home to Darlington. The support is there if harnessed, and made affordable in a very low wage/poor borough.

All I am saying is if there was a proper marketing job done on a Hartlepool model, I believe we could get double maybe more the number of STS sold. But Rochdale have NEVER done a real promoting of trying to increase the support in a way that makes it simple and easy.

Some could be forgiven in thinking that some, don't want Spotland with 5000 home fans in regularly as it suits them to be one of the "chosen few".
[Post edited 3 Apr 2016 14:06]

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Could this work? on 14:11 - Apr 3 with 2102 views1mark1

Anyway it's up to the club. Like I said earlier in this thread, if the club want more Home support on match days, spending money that goes directly to the football club now, they have to find ways of making it possible for more to be able to come. Otherwise many of us will continue to attend a few times a season rather than any tines a season.

Could this work? on 14:18 - Apr 3 with 2082 viewsisitme

Some could be forgiven in thinking that some, don't want Spotland with 5000 home fans in regularly as it suits them to be one of the "chosen few".

Do you honestly believe that people who attend week in and week out do not want other people to financially support the club they obviously love, which will help improve playing budgets etc just so they can claim to be one of a 'chosen few'?
Could this work? on 14:23 - Apr 3 with 2068 viewsroccydaleian

Could this work? on 14:18 - Apr 3 by isitme

Do you honestly believe that people who attend week in and week out do not want other people to financially support the club they obviously love, which will help improve playing budgets etc just so they can claim to be one of a 'chosen few'?

Just beat me to it pal. Mark, that is a pathetic statement.
Login to get fewer ads

Could this work? on 14:36 - Apr 3 with 2045 views1mark1

Could this work? on 14:18 - Apr 3 by isitme

The vast majority of Dale fans would like to see more there, however I have heard myself people complaining about new fans turning up and complaining for example there are bigger queues, people say in their regular seats(not reserved seats), etc. Only saying what I have heard and seen myself over the years.

Could this work? on 14:42 - Apr 3 with 2018 views442Dale

What I really don't understand is any talk of increasing the playing budget. Sure, it'd be nice, but it's not crucial to the way we run as a club - for evidence look at the most successful period on the club's history, all achieved without needing a big budget.

We really are missing the point if increasing the playing budget is ever put ahead of building a fanbase for years to come in the list of priorities.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Could this work? on 14:50 - Apr 3 with 1987 viewsTalkingSutty

Could this work? on 13:30 - Apr 3 by robbowood

If we can bring in £1.8 million for each financial year from transfer fees I'm defintiely all for free admission !!

But if we give free admission next season I doubt if we'd get 3000 home fans for most Saturday games and certainly not 2000 on a wet Tuesday night

Sadly we are not the only local club who are seeing our home crowds decrease. When clubs in the lower two divisions started charging £20 to pay on the day it seems many fans decided they would stop conming

Whatever the club come up with shortly in regard to season tickets I would be very surprised if a reduction in price brings in enough "new" season ticket holders to maintain the same level of income as we have had this season

Anything is worth a try but what the answer is in the long term heaven knows

We might as well pack it in then and not bother,going off your mindset. If it was free to get into every game no matter who the opposition do you honestly think we wouldn't get more than 3000 home fans? I know loads who can't afford to go to games anymore and are now out of the habit.

Reading some of the posts on here it seems some fans have the same mindset (perceived)as those at the Football Club, what's the point in trying if we know we can never attract extra fans. Maybe we should stop giving the Staff at the Club such a hard time and realise we can't do any better!!

Surprised and disappointed at the negativity of this thread.
Could this work? on 14:51 - Apr 3 with 1982 viewsisitme

Could this work? on 14:42 - Apr 3 by 442Dale

What I really don't understand is any talk of increasing the playing budget. Sure, it'd be nice, but it's not crucial to the way we run as a club - for evidence look at the most successful period on the club's history, all achieved without needing a big budget.

We really are missing the point if increasing the playing budget is ever put ahead of building a fanbase for years to come in the list of priorities.

Would you say to push on and challenge for the play offs requires getting in a few better quality players which may mean spending more on wages?

Should we be happy to be a mid table league one club with lower admission prices?

Will a reduction in prices necessarily lead to a significant increase in attendances?
Could this work? on 14:53 - Apr 3 with 1978 viewsRAFCBLUE

Could this work? on 13:03 - Apr 3 by R17ALE

Yes. I've looked at our average home support this season which generally hovers around this number. Assuming (and I don't know this) it's the same 2400 that turn up, then that is our customer base for season tickets.

You aren't going to get someone who doesn't like football, or who supports another club, buying a season ticket for Dale because it's cheap. And everyone reading this knows that is the case.

I think the potential season ticket market is much bigger than 2,400.

I also think the club does not have the first real inkling of how to tap that market - but the desire to do so however is clearly there.

I'm a lapsed season ticket holder and so not in that regular 2,400. For a variety of reasons I've done only 8 games this season and only 2 at home being Blackpool (a), Barnsley (h), Millwall (a), Swindon (a), Scunthorpe (a), Walsall (a), Southend (h) and Wigan (a). I probably won't go to another game this season home or away since the fixtures with League 1 safety achieved don't really appeal. I will spend that £25-£40 each weekend somewhere else.

If price goes up again, it will be even more of a disincentive for me and many to go to games. The club should see the current home attendances as circa 7.6k empty spaces and ask themselves what needs to happen for them to be filled.

Two questions:

How many more lapsed fans/(customers) out there are there like me?

What are the club actively going to do to tempt me back and spend more of my leisure cash with them?

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Could this work? on 14:55 - Apr 3 with 1958 views1mark1

Could this work? on 14:51 - Apr 3 by isitme

Would you say to push on and challenge for the play offs requires getting in a few better quality players which may mean spending more on wages?

Should we be happy to be a mid table league one club with lower admission prices?

Will a reduction in prices necessarily lead to a significant increase in attendances?

First paragraph-maybe it would, but if KH is as good as many believe he is, he will find a way of achieving a play off position.

Second paragraph-why would that be so. Lower admission might mean a bigger overall income

Third paragraph-until it's tried we will never know

Could this work? on 14:56 - Apr 3 with 1956 viewsisitme

Could this work? on 14:53 - Apr 3 by RAFCBLUE

I think the potential season ticket market is much bigger than 2,400.

I also think the club does not have the first real inkling of how to tap that market - but the desire to do so however is clearly there.

I'm a lapsed season ticket holder and so not in that regular 2,400. For a variety of reasons I've done only 8 games this season and only 2 at home being Blackpool (a), Barnsley (h), Millwall (a), Swindon (a), Scunthorpe (a), Walsall (a), Southend (h) and Wigan (a). I probably won't go to another game this season home or away since the fixtures with League 1 safety achieved don't really appeal. I will spend that £25-£40 each weekend somewhere else.

If price goes up again, it will be even more of a disincentive for me and many to go to games. The club should see the current home attendances as circa 7.6k empty spaces and ask themselves what needs to happen for them to be filled.

Two questions:

How many more lapsed fans/(customers) out there are there like me?

What are the club actively going to do to tempt me back and spend more of my leisure cash with them?

I would like to turn that question back to you. What would it take for you to become a season ticket holder again?
Could this work? on 14:56 - Apr 3 with 1950 viewsrobbowood

Could this work? on 14:36 - Apr 3 by 1mark1

The vast majority of Dale fans would like to see more there, however I have heard myself people complaining about new fans turning up and complaining for example there are bigger queues, people say in their regular seats(not reserved seats), etc. Only saying what I have heard and seen myself over the years.

You are describing a different Spotland to the one I go to. EVERY Dale fan I know wants to see more home fans (not the 'vast majority')

I have never come accross any regular supporter blaming 'new fans' for 'bigger queues'. Even for the cup games against e.g. Leeds, Notts Forest if you got there early enough there was no problem getting in. If every Dale fan had turned up at 2.55pm yesterday I agree some might have had a problem in getting to where they normally sit or stand but most of us are in the ground before 2.45pm

People who sit in the stands know full well if a seat isn't reserved then whoever gets there first sits in it!!!
Could this work? on 15:05 - Apr 3 with 1920 views1mark1

Could this work? on 14:56 - Apr 3 by robbowood

You are describing a different Spotland to the one I go to. EVERY Dale fan I know wants to see more home fans (not the 'vast majority')

I have never come accross any regular supporter blaming 'new fans' for 'bigger queues'. Even for the cup games against e.g. Leeds, Notts Forest if you got there early enough there was no problem getting in. If every Dale fan had turned up at 2.55pm yesterday I agree some might have had a problem in getting to where they normally sit or stand but most of us are in the ground before 2.45pm

People who sit in the stands know full well if a seat isn't reserved then whoever gets there first sits in it!!!

I am very glad that that has been your experience, sadly I have seen and heard what I have stated, but yes it was a rarity.

And yes If you want a good seat or standing spot get in early.

Could this work? on 15:06 - Apr 3 with 1917 views442Dale

Could this work? on 14:51 - Apr 3 by isitme

Said it already, we can challenge on what we have. Hill is proven and works miracles on what we have, but who's to say spending more on players would necessarily work anyway? Keep doing what we're doing and see where it takes us (I'm not naive enough to think that the playing budget won't go up as the years pass, but it should never be a priority as it's been illustrated we succeed without worrying too much about it).

We've missed an opportunity this year by not addressing issues at the back early enough, that's just an opinion on the football side of things. It's also not to say we haven't still done amazingly well. So no, we can challenge for the playoffs with the current standard of players that we have, they're of a better standard than Bradford's. A mid-table League One club will ALWAYS have a chance of the play-offs, up until two games ago we were proving that.

Will a reduction result in an increase? Who knows? Isn't it worth trying for a season?

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Could this work? on 15:11 - Apr 3 with 1903 viewsRAFCBLUE

It's a good question and one that I've thought about in writing that post.

I think for me the club needs to think about the types of season ticket it offers. I will not ever (or at least hightly unlikely) will be ever able to do 23 home games every season in my current situation.

The season ticket offers me a number of games free, but this season there are 8 games with non-Saturday 3pm kick-offs; the likelihood of making those games for me is thin, meaning a season ticket offers me practically 15 games and so isn't economically competitive. Resultantly I pick and choose my games and because I've not go a season ticket I happen to have done more away games than home games.

If the club offered 5, 10 and 15 games season tickets at similar discounted rates and offers to the full season ticket, then I would be tempted to re-engage. That said, the club already offers an exiled ten game season ticket but without the additional benefit vouchers. I've honestly never understood that either.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Could this work? on 15:12 - Apr 3 with 1897 viewsrobbowood

Could this work? on 15:05 - Apr 3 by 1mark1

I am very glad that that has been your experience, sadly I have seen and heard what I have stated, but yes it was a rarity.

And yes If you want a good seat or standing spot get in early.

Fair enough
Could this work? on 15:22 - Apr 3 with 1873 viewsrobbowood

Could this work? on 15:11 - Apr 3 by RAFCBLUE

It's a good question and one that I've thought about in writing that post.

I think for me the club needs to think about the types of season ticket it offers. I will not ever (or at least hightly unlikely) will be ever able to do 23 home games every season in my current situation.

The season ticket offers me a number of games free, but this season there are 8 games with non-Saturday 3pm kick-offs; the likelihood of making those games for me is thin, meaning a season ticket offers me practically 15 games and so isn't economically competitive. Resultantly I pick and choose my games and because I've not go a season ticket I happen to have done more away games than home games.

If the club offered 5, 10 and 15 games season tickets at similar discounted rates and offers to the full season ticket, then I would be tempted to re-engage. That said, the club already offers an exiled ten game season ticket but without the additional benefit vouchers. I've honestly never understood that either.

I also cannot get to the night matches but I buy a season ticket even though I know could possibly be worse off than if I paid to get in each match (and Saturday postponed home matches doesn't help)

A season ticket (or a block of tickets) for Saturday matches only does seem a very good idea and worth considering by the club
Could this work? on 17:44 - Apr 3 with 1746 viewsdalenumber2

Could this work? on 15:22 - Apr 3 by robbowood

I also cannot get to the night matches but I buy a season ticket even though I know could possibly be worse off than if I paid to get in each match (and Saturday postponed home matches doesn't help)

A season ticket (or a block of tickets) for Saturday matches only does seem a very good idea and worth considering by the club

Also good for university students like my son who can only make the Saturday games.
Could this work? on 19:50 - Apr 3 with 1657 viewscon_dale

If a season ticket was £100 could we sell 4000? Or would it just be the die hard 2200 that would grab a bargain?
Could this work? on 20:08 - Apr 3 with 1636 viewsroccydaleian

Could this work? on 19:50 - Apr 3 by con_dale

If a season ticket was £100 could we sell 4000? Or would it just be the die hard 2200 that would grab a bargain?

Until something like this is tried we'll never know. Surely now with record figures etc is the time to try it?
Could this work? on 20:22 - Apr 3 with 1606 viewsrobbowood

Could this work? on 19:50 - Apr 3 by con_dale

£100 x 4000 = £400,000

£250 (average season ticket price ??) x 2200 = £550,000

£200 (average season ticket price ??) x 2200 = £440,000

When did we last average 4000 home supporters

I would be very surprised if we could sell 4000 season tickets regardless of the price. We would surely need to more than double the number of our season ticket holders (a lot of them concessionary?) and even then we could be substantially down on income. As has been said many times there are so many other FL clubs a short distance away

I don't know how many season tickets we sell or what the average price is - but the pricing of season tickets is a very tricky business decision for any football club and not just us
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024