Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column 18:57 - Dec 4 with 7493 viewsNorthernr

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/44427
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 14:33 - Dec 7 with 1160 viewsPinnerPaul

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 14:05 - Dec 7 by Northernr

12 noon is the fcking morning.

Just for you Clive - how about reviving THIS tradition?! ;-)

CHRISTMAS DAY FOOTBALL

So what was the atmosphere like for a Christmas Day match? Below is reproduced the recollections of a Sheffield United supporter who attended his first Christmas Day match in 1948 as a nine-year-old when Bolton Wanderers visited Bramall Lane in a First Division fixture.

"The match kicked off in the morning and, as there were no trams running, my dad and 1 made an early start and walked to Bramall Lane from Millhouses. Once inside the ground it was clear this was no ordinary occasion, for the atmosphere was something special - particularly to a nine-year-old. The band played Christmas carols and many of the crowd sported their presents. New scarves and gloves were much in evidence, whilst the aroma of cigar smoke hung everywhere. Spirit flasks were passed among groups of friends and swigged with a slightly furtive air."

The attendance was 39,676 and the match ended 1-1.
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 14:48 - Dec 7 with 1143 viewsNorthernr

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 14:33 - Dec 7 by PinnerPaul

Just for you Clive - how about reviving THIS tradition?! ;-)

CHRISTMAS DAY FOOTBALL

So what was the atmosphere like for a Christmas Day match? Below is reproduced the recollections of a Sheffield United supporter who attended his first Christmas Day match in 1948 as a nine-year-old when Bolton Wanderers visited Bramall Lane in a First Division fixture.

"The match kicked off in the morning and, as there were no trams running, my dad and 1 made an early start and walked to Bramall Lane from Millhouses. Once inside the ground it was clear this was no ordinary occasion, for the atmosphere was something special - particularly to a nine-year-old. The band played Christmas carols and many of the crowd sported their presents. New scarves and gloves were much in evidence, whilst the aroma of cigar smoke hung everywhere. Spirit flasks were passed among groups of friends and swigged with a slightly furtive air."

The attendance was 39,676 and the match ended 1-1.

That was still happening relatively recently wasn't it? Remember my dad talking about going over to Hull for a Christmas day game and then back again the following day for a Boxing Day fixture. Talk to me about fixture congestion.
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 14:56 - Dec 7 with 1134 viewsPinnerPaul

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 14:48 - Dec 7 by Northernr

That was still happening relatively recently wasn't it? Remember my dad talking about going over to Hull for a Christmas day game and then back again the following day for a Boxing Day fixture. Talk to me about fixture congestion.

According to a quick google search 1957 in England and 1976 in Scotland.

Remember my Dad telling me about going to LR on Christmas Day - mind you he could walk there and back in 10 minutes!
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 15:05 - Dec 7 with 1127 viewsAntti_Heinola

Really miss Boxing Day games. We should be playing Fulham or Brentford on Boxing Day, at home, tubes running, packed house, 3pm KO. Ding dong 4-3 home win.

Bare bones.

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 15:26 - Dec 7 with 1100 viewsPinnerPaul

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 15:05 - Dec 7 by Antti_Heinola

Really miss Boxing Day games. We should be playing Fulham or Brentford on Boxing Day, at home, tubes running, packed house, 3pm KO. Ding dong 4-3 home win.

"Tubes running"

Thats a good one, they can barely manage it the rest of the year!
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 15:33 - Dec 7 with 1097 viewsToast_R

Indeed, there really is a trick missed amongst all that.

The description of that Christmas day game sounded awesome, without a public transport though it would be pretty impossible for most. Although Xmas day - you'd think you'd be able to park where the hell you wanted?
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 15:41 - Dec 7 with 1087 viewsElHoop

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 15:33 - Dec 7 by Toast_R

Indeed, there really is a trick missed amongst all that.

The description of that Christmas day game sounded awesome, without a public transport though it would be pretty impossible for most. Although Xmas day - you'd think you'd be able to park where the hell you wanted?

I think that Wealdstone used to play Hendon on Christmas Day and Boxing Day - no idea when it stopped though.

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 12:24 - Dec 8 with 1005 viewspaulparker

No chance on boxing day will we have a home game , the carnage with everyone going to Westfields will see to that

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Login to get fewer ads

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 16:12 - Dec 13 with 922 viewsKonk

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 12:24 - Dec 8 by paulparker

No chance on boxing day will we have a home game , the carnage with everyone going to Westfields will see to that

Our FA cup game at Cardiff is kicking-off at 11:30am for BBC Wales. Seriously. The magic of the cup. Get tae fuc k. They'll be about forty people watching that on the telly. Our official coaches will be leaving at about 4am for that one.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 16:16 - Dec 13 with 918 viewsLongsufferingR

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 16:12 - Dec 13 by Konk

Our FA cup game at Cardiff is kicking-off at 11:30am for BBC Wales. Seriously. The magic of the cup. Get tae fuc k. They'll be about forty people watching that on the telly. Our official coaches will be leaving at about 4am for that one.

Coaches? Plural?

That is just beyond a stupid time, even if it was a local derby.
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 16:40 - Dec 13 with 882 viewsqprxtc

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 12:24 - Dec 8 by paulparker

I wouldn’t be surprised if Rangers aren’t at home on Boxing Day for a while. The Boxing Day sales at Westfield are absolutely insane.

The Bush will be an absolute nightmare from 8am when the shops open. Traffic will be backed up for miles in all directions.

Why on earth people are desperate to get inside a shop again after Christmas, I have no idea. See Day of the Dead.

Oh for the days when Boxing Day was like Christmas Day and the only idiots out and about were those heading off to the football.
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 16:57 - Dec 13 with 858 viewsNorthernr

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 16:40 - Dec 13 by qprxtc

I wouldn’t be surprised if Rangers aren’t at home on Boxing Day for a while. The Boxing Day sales at Westfield are absolutely insane.

The Bush will be an absolute nightmare from 8am when the shops open. Traffic will be backed up for miles in all directions.

Why on earth people are desperate to get inside a shop again after Christmas, I have no idea. See Day of the Dead.

Oh for the days when Boxing Day was like Christmas Day and the only idiots out and about were those heading off to the football.

When I was on local papers one of the stories we did every year was heading out to meet the people queuing outside shops at 4am Boxing Day waiting for them to open. Remember watching some of a Boxing Day Ashes test before heading out into sub zero temperatures and several feet of snow to interview a crowd of 50 that had gathered outside the doors of Next in the middle of the night on a retail park in Corby. Next.

I couldn't believe it. When the doors open it went fcking mental, they all charged in with bin liners and just started running their arms along shelves, sweeping everything they could into the bags. Didn't check sizes, didn't check what it was, how much it cost, whether they wanted it.

It was just stuff from Next as well, with a bit knocked off. Utter madness.
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 17:33 - Dec 13 with 816 viewsKonk

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 16:57 - Dec 13 by Northernr

When I was on local papers one of the stories we did every year was heading out to meet the people queuing outside shops at 4am Boxing Day waiting for them to open. Remember watching some of a Boxing Day Ashes test before heading out into sub zero temperatures and several feet of snow to interview a crowd of 50 that had gathered outside the doors of Next in the middle of the night on a retail park in Corby. Next.

I couldn't believe it. When the doors open it went fcking mental, they all charged in with bin liners and just started running their arms along shelves, sweeping everything they could into the bags. Didn't check sizes, didn't check what it was, how much it cost, whether they wanted it.

It was just stuff from Next as well, with a bit knocked off. Utter madness.

Woman from my work used to do the same thing. Camped out over night in Bromley or somewhere and just blitzed the whole shop, dumping bin bags of stuff in every size going at the till before returning 95% of it a few days later. Bonkers.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 22:37 - Dec 13 with 716 viewsTGRRRSSS

Genuine question? Is it also possible Sky (or whoever) would rather like Chelsea at home instead for TV purposes on a Boxing Day?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024