Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Charlie Austin involved in bike accident 15:04 - Feb 8 with 14681 viewsHantsR

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-4201026/Austin-gives-stateme

Sounds like cyclist is making a gradual recovery.
Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 14:29 - Feb 9 with 2940 viewsKonk

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 14:18 - Feb 9 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Amsterdam 219.3 km² Population: 779,808

London 1,572 km² 8.674 million

Amsterdam A small town in comparison plenty of room for bikes.. Have you been to that part of town
[Post edited 9 Feb 2017 14:22]

Have you ever been to Amsterdam or any old Dutch city? You said there wasn't room for cycle paths because of the little roads - I quoted Amsterdam as an example because the centre is full of canals, small, narrow streets etc and yet they manage to accommodate genuinely huge numbers of cyclists. Because people would sooner travel by bike - cheap, convenient, healthy and fun. And because they're not worried about being killed by a bus, coach, lorry or car.

Go to any Dutch city during the school run and tell me it's not better to have 90%+ of kids cycling to school rather than the fat fu ckers I see every day getting in/out of their parents cars or standing around at bus stops. And the Dutch only enjoy the benefits of cycling because they have safe, segregated cycling infrastructure that means pretty much the entire population is safe to ride a bike.

[Post edited 9 Feb 2017 14:32]

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 14:34 - Feb 9 with 2914 views2Thomas2Bowles

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 14:29 - Feb 9 by Konk

Have you ever been to Amsterdam or any old Dutch city? You said there wasn't room for cycle paths because of the little roads - I quoted Amsterdam as an example because the centre is full of canals, small, narrow streets etc and yet they manage to accommodate genuinely huge numbers of cyclists. Because people would sooner travel by bike - cheap, convenient, healthy and fun. And because they're not worried about being killed by a bus, coach, lorry or car.

Go to any Dutch city during the school run and tell me it's not better to have 90%+ of kids cycling to school rather than the fat fu ckers I see every day getting in/out of their parents cars or standing around at bus stops. And the Dutch only enjoy the benefits of cycling because they have safe, segregated cycling infrastructure that means pretty much the entire population is safe to ride a bike.

[Post edited 9 Feb 2017 14:32]

Yeah whatever

It's simply NOT comparable but you carry on with your waffling in your clogs.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2017 14:36]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 14:47 - Feb 9 with 2878 viewsKonk

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 14:34 - Feb 9 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Yeah whatever

It's simply NOT comparable but you carry on with your waffling in your clogs.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2017 14:36]

It is comparable: if you look at the population density, the two are hardly a million miles apart; you're not comparing Hong Kong with Barnstaple. You have two, old, densely populated European cities with similar climates and broadly similar topography.

In London, people drive 1-2 miles to drop their kids off at school, they drive less than a mile to go to the shops, they drive 1-2-3 miles to go to the gym, take their kids to football etc. Drive 5-10 miles to go and watch football - these are all journeys that even the most moderately fit person could easily do by bike if they felt safe enough to do it.

I'm not suggesting that someone living in Hayes is going to cycle to work in Docklands, but there's no reason you couldn't cut out millions of local journeys every year in London alone if people had the confidence to cycle.

Just out of interest, what do you think the solution is to a clogged road network, over burdened public transport system, rising population and increasingly polluted environment? Knock buildings down for wider roads? Get people off their bikes and into cars?

How old were you when you last rode a bike?
[Post edited 9 Feb 2017 14:47]

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 15:43 - Feb 9 with 2767 views2Thomas2Bowles

I have a bike I just run over people on the pavement in the summer

I'm not putting my life at risk on the roads, you have to be stupid to do that.

I live just off a very busy road and junction large roundabout, I see every day cyclists taking no notice of red lights or crossings, Not having helmets, not having lights when it's dark or even Hi vis, not just a few but most of them, it's a damn lie that most are careful, just arrogant and stupid and just blame everything on motorists.

Do I think things like the school run is a problem, yep outside central and thats where cyclists should stay, inside the CZ most traffic is service and a few nob heads paying to go in to it, try getting your goods and building built using a bike.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2017 15:50]

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 15:53 - Feb 9 with 2733 viewsrobith

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 15:43 - Feb 9 by 2Thomas2Bowles

I live just off a very busy road and junction large roundabout, I see every day cyclists taking no notice of red lights or crossings, Not having helmets, not having lights when it's dark or even Hi vis, not just a few but most of them, it's a damn lie that most are careful, just arrogant and stupid and just blame everything on motorists.

Do I think things like the school run is a problem, yep outside central and thats where cyclists should stay, inside the CZ most traffic is service and a few nob heads paying to go in to it, try getting your goods and building built using a bike.

Whereas motorists in London are meek, humble, and always obey the laws of the road
Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 15:55 - Feb 9 with 2724 views2Thomas2Bowles

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 15:53 - Feb 9 by robith

Whereas motorists in London are meek, humble, and always obey the laws of the road

True or not they are safer in their cars.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2017 16:10]

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 15:56 - Feb 9 with 2718 viewsdolcelatte

I ride a bike. A lot in fact. RLJ's wind me up as well, but you know most days I see motorists talking on hand held phones, slurping tea, reading newspapers, watching ipads/tablets etc, putting on make up, grappling with kids, smoking, frequently jumping red lights all whilst being in "control" of a 1 ton+ vehicle that can cause immense damage to life and property.

This is a genuine serious offer. Meet up one day on a bike and let me take you for a spin - you might just change your views... I promise no mountains will be involved :-)

Poll: Are you sick of people asking if you are sick of polls?

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 15:59 - Feb 9 with 2698 viewsheadhoops

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Login to get fewer ads

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 15:59 - Feb 9 with 2696 views2Thomas2Bowles

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 15:56 - Feb 9 by dolcelatte

I ride a bike. A lot in fact. RLJ's wind me up as well, but you know most days I see motorists talking on hand held phones, slurping tea, reading newspapers, watching ipads/tablets etc, putting on make up, grappling with kids, smoking, frequently jumping red lights all whilst being in "control" of a 1 ton+ vehicle that can cause immense damage to life and property.

This is a genuine serious offer. Meet up one day on a bike and let me take you for a spin - you might just change your views... I promise no mountains will be involved :-)

And you still ride a bike, so I'm right then it's stupid

Get in the water with sharks without a cage/car... nah I'll stick to walking or using the bus thanks.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2017 16:04]

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 17:02 - Feb 9 with 2589 viewsKonk

I cycle to work 99% of the time and unless I cycle through areas traversed by unusually considerate, law-abiding cyclists, I reckon the vast majority of cyclists observe red lights, have lights and also wear helmets. I often sit there at 05:50 on empty roads patiently waiting for the lights to change. I get pis sed off with di ckheads on bikes as much as I do with knob head drivers, and I’ve often wondered how some people place such little value on their lives, but I could also spend all night banging on about the fuc king horrendous, reckless driving I see every day in town. And someone being a dic k on a bike isn’t anywhere near as potentially dangerous as some tw at in a car.

“Do I think things like the school run is a problem, yep outside central and thats where cyclists should stay…”

Are you seriously suggesting people shouldn’t cycle in Central London? That’s exactly where people SHOULD be cycling, so that public transport capacity isn’t wasted on people who could get about quicker by bike. Most working people living in Islington, Hackney, Camden, Tower Hamlets etc could easily get to work or school by bike if they had the confidence. My cycle to work takes 25-30 mins — I’m going out tonight, so got the bus in (the tube station had 200+ people waiting to go through the barriers as the platforms were overcrowded). I got on the bus at about 9am and it took over an hour to travel 7 miles. The roads are gridlocked and the tube is full to bursting. A bus home from work usually takes between 1 hour and 1 hour and 20 minutes if I leave at 6pm; the tube is unbearable once you finally get on a tube. That's why I started cycling.

“I'm not putting my life at risk on the roads, you have to be stupid to do that.”

So, you yourself think it’s too dangerous to cycle in London and you also seem to be opposed to spending a few million quid here and there on cycle lanes (which until recently have invariably been sh ite and don’t join up to others) — so how do you see London getting out of the mess it’s in with every form of transportation? How would you tackle endemic obesity and the £bn consequences for the NHS and what would you do to tackle the pollution problems which meant our air was more poisonous than Beijing’s the other week?. The population is forecast to rise to 10m in the next 20-30 years — if every fu cker decides to get in their car or the number of buses needs to dramatically increase to accommodate those numbers, things will be even worse than they are now. What’s your plan? Every time I travel on my bike, it’s one less car on the road for you to get stuck behind, it’s one more space on the tube/bus, so someone travelling from the suburbs has a more comfortable journey on public transport, and I’m not spewing poison into the air. And I fu cking love riding my bike — it makes me happy and keeps me healthy. Go to the Netherlands or Cophenhagen, spend a weekend on a bike safely cycling round a major city without the congestion and endless traffic jams of a British city of comparable size, and tell me it’s not a great way of getting about when there’s decent infrastructure.

I see people queuing at bus stops every day on my way into the City - they probably live two miles from work - 30 mins on a bus is pretty average on my route for that last couple of miles or you could spend 10 minutes tops on a bike.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2017 17:07]

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 17:17 - Feb 9 with 2542 viewsPommyhoop

I thought these would be in operation by now..

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 17:27 - Feb 9 with 2534 views2Thomas2Bowles

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 17:02 - Feb 9 by Konk

I cycle to work 99% of the time and unless I cycle through areas traversed by unusually considerate, law-abiding cyclists, I reckon the vast majority of cyclists observe red lights, have lights and also wear helmets. I often sit there at 05:50 on empty roads patiently waiting for the lights to change. I get pis sed off with di ckheads on bikes as much as I do with knob head drivers, and I’ve often wondered how some people place such little value on their lives, but I could also spend all night banging on about the fuc king horrendous, reckless driving I see every day in town. And someone being a dic k on a bike isn’t anywhere near as potentially dangerous as some tw at in a car.

“Do I think things like the school run is a problem, yep outside central and thats where cyclists should stay…”

Are you seriously suggesting people shouldn’t cycle in Central London? That’s exactly where people SHOULD be cycling, so that public transport capacity isn’t wasted on people who could get about quicker by bike. Most working people living in Islington, Hackney, Camden, Tower Hamlets etc could easily get to work or school by bike if they had the confidence. My cycle to work takes 25-30 mins — I’m going out tonight, so got the bus in (the tube station had 200+ people waiting to go through the barriers as the platforms were overcrowded). I got on the bus at about 9am and it took over an hour to travel 7 miles. The roads are gridlocked and the tube is full to bursting. A bus home from work usually takes between 1 hour and 1 hour and 20 minutes if I leave at 6pm; the tube is unbearable once you finally get on a tube. That's why I started cycling.

“I'm not putting my life at risk on the roads, you have to be stupid to do that.”

So, you yourself think it’s too dangerous to cycle in London and you also seem to be opposed to spending a few million quid here and there on cycle lanes (which until recently have invariably been sh ite and don’t join up to others) — so how do you see London getting out of the mess it’s in with every form of transportation? How would you tackle endemic obesity and the £bn consequences for the NHS and what would you do to tackle the pollution problems which meant our air was more poisonous than Beijing’s the other week?. The population is forecast to rise to 10m in the next 20-30 years — if every fu cker decides to get in their car or the number of buses needs to dramatically increase to accommodate those numbers, things will be even worse than they are now. What’s your plan? Every time I travel on my bike, it’s one less car on the road for you to get stuck behind, it’s one more space on the tube/bus, so someone travelling from the suburbs has a more comfortable journey on public transport, and I’m not spewing poison into the air. And I fu cking love riding my bike — it makes me happy and keeps me healthy. Go to the Netherlands or Cophenhagen, spend a weekend on a bike safely cycling round a major city without the congestion and endless traffic jams of a British city of comparable size, and tell me it’s not a great way of getting about when there’s decent infrastructure.

I see people queuing at bus stops every day on my way into the City - they probably live two miles from work - 30 mins on a bus is pretty average on my route for that last couple of miles or you could spend 10 minutes tops on a bike.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2017 17:07]

So, you yourself think it’s too dangerous to cycle in London and you also seem to be opposed to spending a few million quid here and there on cycle lanes

There you go, I knew you would catch on

As I've sort of said
The roads in C London area a mass of rivers and streams FULL OF SHARKS fecking big sharks (Cars, Lorries), making roads narrower to fit in bike lanes just slows everything down and pushes pollution up, only an idiot would jump in the water with them

Why do you keep trying to compare places like Copenhagen with only 500K pop with London.

Come back with a City the size of London and as old as London

I have no problem with the suburbs or towns promoting the use of bikes

I'm not defending motorist but if you want to swim with the sharks in small rivers expect to get eaten.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2017 17:28]

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 17:42 - Feb 9 with 2482 viewsShotKneesHoop

I used my bike today. I biked 7 miles return to the Stag, where I had three pints of Little Sharpey.

Biked back an hour ago. One car passed me on the way back. But I live in West Norfolk now, so the point is - you can't compare Amsterdam to London or anywhere else. Everywhere is different. We have no buses, tubes,taxis, trains here. Just car or bike.

Different population, roads, attitudes to traffic.... and the beer is so much better and cheaper £3.10 a pint.

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 17:42 - Feb 9 with 2482 viewsizlingtonhoop

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 17:27 - Feb 9 by 2Thomas2Bowles

So, you yourself think it’s too dangerous to cycle in London and you also seem to be opposed to spending a few million quid here and there on cycle lanes

As I've sort of said
The roads in C London area a mass of rivers and streams FULL OF SHARKS fecking big sharks (Cars, Lorries), making roads narrower to fit in bike lanes just slows everything down and pushes pollution up, only an idiot would jump in the water with them

Why do you keep trying to compare places like Copenhagen with only 500K pop with London.

I'm not defending motorist but if you want to swim with the sharks in small rivers expect to get eaten.

You keep arguing that these cities aren't comparable by population.

By population density Copenhagen is somewhat less than half of London (722 v 1510 inhabitants per Kmsq.) Whereas Ansterdam has population density of 4,439 per Sq Km. Amsterdam surely , 's doing very well with its cycling infrastructure compared to London.
Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 17:51 - Feb 9 with 2469 viewsKonk

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 17:27 - Feb 9 by 2Thomas2Bowles

As I've sort of said

Okay, compare traffic in a major Dutch city with any major, equally densely populated city in the UK (excluding London because you seem to think Amsterdam's Milton Keynes or something) and tell me which one has worse congestion, an unhealthier population, more pollution, longer commutes etc and my guess is it will be the British one. It's all about the bikes. Still, you seem to have a lot of good suggestions about how we tackle overcrowding on the roads, rails etc, how we tackle the obesity endemic and how we begin to address our horrendous air quality, so I bow to your vision of the future.

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 18:07 - Feb 9 with 2487 viewsPunteR

Bikes are completely impractical for most people most of the time.
In this day and age I don't really understand why people have to work in an office when all they do is sit at a computer. You can do that from home. That would cut down about 80% of commuters.
Im also sure we're capable of inventing cars that are environmentally friendly. Or drones that drop your kids into school.
Go to Richmond park on a bank holiday Sunday to get a taste of what a Lycra clad future world of cyclist only roads will be like.
Bedlam springs to mind. A completely lawless society. ;)

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 18:13 - Feb 9 with 2484 views2Thomas2Bowles

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 17:51 - Feb 9 by Konk

Okay, compare traffic in a major Dutch city with any major, equally densely populated city in the UK (excluding London because you seem to think Amsterdam's Milton Keynes or something) and tell me which one has worse congestion, an unhealthier population, more pollution, longer commutes etc and my guess is it will be the British one. It's all about the bikes. Still, you seem to have a lot of good suggestions about how we tackle overcrowding on the roads, rails etc, how we tackle the obesity endemic and how we begin to address our horrendous air quality, so I bow to your vision of the future.

You seem to think I care about other peoples heath issues, the self infected ones I don't!

But maybe they will live a bit longer if they don't ride a bike in C London

Nasty place of narrow streets of which I've pointed out and you have completely ignored.

Ban all cars and lorries then you can have your safe cycling streets and clog dancing in clean air and yet there will still be the fatbastards eating McD's and KFC or a nice fat kebab.. with lettuce

Have you noticed that when it''s a bit nippy like today, there are not so many on their bikes... Maybe there should just be bike lanes in the summer
[Post edited 9 Feb 2017 18:34]

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 19:06 - Feb 9 with 2448 viewskensalriser

You're just making yourself seem like a troll trying to make a complete imbecile of yourself. And succeeding. Turn it in ffs.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 19:45 - Feb 9 with 2430 views2Thomas2Bowles

Who the feck are you that I should care what you think.

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 22:23 - Feb 9 with 2362 viewsoldmeadoniansR

I cycle for quite selfish reasons;
1: It halves my travel time. I live in Hampton and when I worked in Hammersmith and Fulham it took me 40 minutes on a bike. Car at least an hour sometimes an hour and a half. Public transport over an hour and half and crowded and depressing.
2. As a family we can only afford one car. I commute every working day of the year (well as much as a teacher does) and while I sometimes envy my wife in the cosy car. Financialy it is not viable to have two cars.
3. I like beer and without my daily commute I would be a fat middle aged man rather than a slightly overweight middle aged man.
4. Mental health. It used to drive me mad sitting in traffic. Now I can define what time I get anywhere. I hate being late and a bike is the best guarantee.

To be clear I don't think cycling allows me to dominate the moral high ground but it does benefit me greatly.

P.S: Yes it was a bit nippy this morning on the bike but bike it was.
Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 22:59 - Feb 9 with 2326 viewsloftboy

I don't own a car as my ex wife has it,I ride a bike to work where I get into a 3.5 tonne van which I drive around in all day,does thet make me an oxymoron!!

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 23:09 - Feb 9 with 2317 views2Thomas2Bowles

Maybe I'm just lucky, I can walk to the City in 20 mins or on a bus in half that time, I can get to the west end in 20 mins on a bus, they are frequent and now with the one fare within the hour I can hop buses so it's cheap and more than anything safe

I see no point having bus lanes that bikes can travel in and then bike lanes

Look at this the A201 from the roundabout at Blackfriars

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.512011,-0.1042374,3a,75y,357.24h,68.78t/data=!

A bus lane replaced by a bike lane taking up half of that side of the road so when it's busy buses are slowed along with the rest of the traffic, it's madness.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2017 23:11]

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 23:15 - Feb 9 with 2308 viewsloftinoz

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 08:29 - Feb 9 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Oh and all the £MMMMM spent on cycle lanes but they pay no road tax

Which they don't use.
Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 23:31 - Feb 9 with 2279 viewsGloryHunter

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 22:59 - Feb 9 by loftboy

I don't own a car as my ex wife has it,I ride a bike to work where I get into a 3.5 tonne van which I drive around in all day,does thet make me an oxymoron!!

That makes you a hero, mate. Just don't knock me or Konk off our bikes!
Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 23:58 - Feb 9 with 2258 viewswombat

Charlie Austin involved in bike accident on 23:31 - Feb 9 by GloryHunter

That makes you a hero, mate. Just don't knock me or Konk off our bikes!

Hasn't been one of these for a while , no respect for a group of people who
Think they own the road , have no formal training to be on the road and use it at speed, don't have to make themselves visible to other road users (blacks so slimming don't you think ) esp at night
A group who think it's a great idea to wear headphones while using the roads , so making them selfs totally oblivious to other road users and dangers , a group who ride through red lights as it's easier than stopping.
How about this as a compromise all cyslsists to take a basic road skills test ?
Make them by law wear High vis clothing and helmets.if they don't they get fined
Pay something to use the roads , emergency services etc
How can somebody be allowed to use roads when many have never had any sort of formal training.

Poll: which is your favouite foot

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024