Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Big Clubs Interested in QPR 9 year old player. 10:46 - Apr 9 with 13504 viewssilky

Not a telegraph reader and don't have the premium package to read the whole article but this is interesting none the less.

Hope he doesn't get eaten up into some top 4 academy and never fulfil his potential.

9 years old eh? Just leave the kid alone, got the whole of his school life in front of him first.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/04/08/can-clubs-like-qpr-develop-talent

Poll: Do you think this current QPR team has got what is takes to go up this year?

Big Clubs Interested in QPR 9 year old player. on 14:13 - Apr 10 with 2062 viewsNorthernr

Big Clubs Interested in QPR 9 year old player. on 14:10 - Apr 10 by simmo

Dele Alli a perfect example, the piece in the Guardian about him today as he is 21 tomorrow, hit the ground running at Spurs and not looked back, something that would have never been possible without the 80 odd games he played at MK or the decision by Spurs to loan him back for 6 months after buying him.

Players should have to have played a minimum 50 senior league games before a club in the premier league can offer for them, or something similar. This hoarding of talent by the likes of Chelscum especially, is shameful.

It would need work (clubs would be able to stop picking players at 49 apps, clubs would be able to hold teenagers registrations against their will) but a version of that should definitely be the rule. Clubs can only sign youth team graduates from other clubs once they've played 50 senior appearances.
Big Clubs Interested in QPR 9 year old player. on 14:24 - Apr 10 with 2047 viewssimmo

Big Clubs Interested in QPR 9 year old player. on 14:13 - Apr 10 by Northernr

It would need work (clubs would be able to stop picking players at 49 apps, clubs would be able to hold teenagers registrations against their will) but a version of that should definitely be the rule. Clubs can only sign youth team graduates from other clubs once they've played 50 senior appearances.

Well yeah, some kind of caveats need to be put in place to stop that, like 50+ pro games or 6 months after their 40th appearance for example (whichever comes first). At least clubs know that there is some development in these players and when it comes time to sell, a more accurate valuation can be placed on them as a ROI.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Big Clubs Interested in QPR 9 year old player. (n/t) on 14:51 - Apr 10 with 2030 viewssteph90

[Post edited 15 Apr 2017 12:35]
Big Clubs Interested in QPR 9 year old player. on 14:54 - Apr 10 with 2024 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Big Clubs Interested in QPR 9 year old player. (n/t) on 14:51 - Apr 10 by steph90

So is he fit for Bristol or not?
Big Clubs Interested in QPR 9 year old player. (n/t) on 14:59 - Apr 10 with 2015 viewssteph90

[Post edited 10 Apr 2017 15:16]
Big Clubs Interested in QPR 9 year old player. on 15:16 - Apr 10 with 1989 viewsnadera78

Big Clubs Interested in QPR 9 year old player. (n/t) on 14:51 - Apr 10 by steph90

I don't think anyone was singling you out personally, just saying there are some parents involved in football who fit the descriptions laid out earlier. I think everyone who plays / watches the game will recognise that.

Personally, as stated previously, I'd let my kid just play football and see where it leads but I recognise you'd be doing what you think is best for him, whatever you decide.
Big Clubs Interested in QPR 9 year old player. (n/t) on 15:21 - Apr 10 with 1987 viewssteph90

[Post edited 15 Apr 2017 12:37]
Big Clubs Interested in QPR 9 year old player. on 15:34 - Apr 10 with 1969 viewskensalriser

It's not nice to get slated in public by people who don't even know you, but don't take it to heart. Football fans love to slate anyone - even our own Les Ferdinand, a club legend and now doing a decent job as director of football gets his fair share.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2017 15:36]

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Login to get fewer ads

Big Clubs Interested in QPR 9 year old player. on 15:36 - Apr 10 with 1963 viewsnadera78

Big Clubs Interested in QPR 9 year old player. (n/t) on 15:21 - Apr 10 by steph90

Well, I don't think it's automatically true that a kid gets better by being at a Cat 1 Academy rather than a Cat 2. It's also about the coaches he has and, probably more importantly, how much he enjoys and values being there. Wether it's football, school or work, if you're happy somewhere then you're far more likely to learn and progress. Good luck to you and the boy, whatever you decide to do.

Another reason not to use facebook, I guess:)
Big Clubs Interested in QPR 9 year old player. on 15:38 - Apr 10 with 1959 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Big Clubs Interested in QPR 9 year old player. (n/t) on 15:21 - Apr 10 by steph90

I was kidding by the way, good luck to you and you son : )
Big Clubs Interested in QPR 9 year old player. on 15:42 - Apr 10 with 1950 viewsNorthernr

Not really, I'd want him to enjoy it, he's 9. If he gets better and makes it then great, but that shouldn't be the concern for a 9 year old.

Further down the line if he is a brilliant 15/16 yo then he'll be challenged and furthered much more by playing in a first team squad than continuing to knock around with all the other excellent young boys in a well equipped academy. Facilities etc would be second to first team opportunities in my thinking, no point being furthered or challenged if it's not going to lead anywhere - and City, United, Chelsea have no intention of ever picking any of them, they just don't want anybody else to have him.

But fundamentally as a 9 yo it should be about enjoyment. Does he like it at QPR? Are his friends there? Is he happy? That's the important bit, not being furthered and challenged and whatever else the sleazes involved at these child hoarding Prem clubs put in their pitch.
Big Clubs Interested in QPR 9 year old player. on 15:52 - Apr 10 with 1927 viewsRangers67

Firstly let me say you are obviously trying to do the right thing for your son and you deserve a lot of credit for that. It must be a nightmare trying to negotiate the cesspool that is academy football and all the sharks that swim in it. So you have my best wishes for you and your son. What you are seeing on here is people expressing their frustration at the current system and not yourself personally ( hopefully). From what I understand of the academy set up at QPR, CR has a lot to answer for. It is a real shame for a club like Rangers to lose talented players at any age and especially if they are QPR fans. Best of luck and who knows maybe we will see him the hoops one day.
Big Clubs Interested in QPR 9 year old player. on 15:59 - Apr 10 with 1915 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Big Clubs Interested in QPR 9 year old player. on 15:52 - Apr 10 by Rangers67

Firstly let me say you are obviously trying to do the right thing for your son and you deserve a lot of credit for that. It must be a nightmare trying to negotiate the cesspool that is academy football and all the sharks that swim in it. So you have my best wishes for you and your son. What you are seeing on here is people expressing their frustration at the current system and not yourself personally ( hopefully). From what I understand of the academy set up at QPR, CR has a lot to answer for. It is a real shame for a club like Rangers to lose talented players at any age and especially if they are QPR fans. Best of luck and who knows maybe we will see him the hoops one day.

Sorry mate, when you say CR has a lot to answer for did you mean good or bad things?
Big Clubs Interested in QPR 9 year old player. on 16:04 - Apr 10 with 1901 viewspaulparker

Just my opinion but I don't think kids should be allowed to join clubs until they are at least 12 , at 9 the lad should just be enjoying the game playing for his Sunday club and school not worrying about who is cat A or whoever is the best coach with the best facilities

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Big Clubs Interested in QPR 9 year old player. on 16:21 - Apr 10 with 1877 viewsAntti_Heinola

Big Clubs Interested in QPR 9 year old player. on 16:04 - Apr 10 by paulparker

Just my opinion but I don't think kids should be allowed to join clubs until they are at least 12 , at 9 the lad should just be enjoying the game playing for his Sunday club and school not worrying about who is cat A or whoever is the best coach with the best facilities

Ding ding!
What's that I hear? Oh, it's the Antti-Paul bell of agreement! A beautiful sound, like that of a rare bird.

Bare bones.

Big Clubs Interested in QPR 9 year old player. on 16:44 - Apr 10 with 1853 viewsRangers67

Big Clubs Interested in QPR 9 year old player. on 15:59 - Apr 10 by BazzaInTheLoft

Sorry mate, when you say CR has a lot to answer for did you mean good or bad things?

I have to be careful what I say on this but I think there are some restrictions on how free the coaches are to expand the boys skills in certain areas. I am not saying all CR has done is wrong but .....when someone is really good then they should not be being held back.
Big Clubs Interested in QPR 9 year old player. on 16:47 - Apr 10 with 1847 viewspaulparker

Big Clubs Interested in QPR 9 year old player. on 16:21 - Apr 10 by Antti_Heinola

Ding ding!
What's that I hear? Oh, it's the Antti-Paul bell of agreement! A beautiful sound, like that of a rare bird.

im having what you just wrote framed Antti

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Big Clubs Interested in QPR 9 year old player. on 17:02 - Apr 10 with 1828 viewsNorthernr

Big Clubs Interested in QPR 9 year old player. on 16:44 - Apr 10 by Rangers67

I have to be careful what I say on this but I think there are some restrictions on how free the coaches are to expand the boys skills in certain areas. I am not saying all CR has done is wrong but .....when someone is really good then they should not be being held back.

I do love these whispers from the academy.

So Chris Ramsey, in a role where he's tasked with bringing through as many players as possible to play for the first team or be sold, is actively restricting the coaches from improving the skills of the players in their age groups?
Big Clubs Interested in QPR 9 year old player. on 17:45 - Apr 10 with 1790 viewsDejR_vu

My post wasn't directed at you. It was an observation based upon what I've seen numerous times.

I would question why your son will be challenged more at a Cat 1 club at this point in time:
- At his age QPR will be playing Cat 1 clubs;
- The Cat 1 clubs don't generally have the best players at that age because they are choosing their players at age 7 and 8 when they haven't developed at all. What they do have is massive turnover because they bring so many boys in to look at and then discard the majority;
- The Cat status only starts to show at about U14/U15 when they have hoovered up all the best players from other clubs;
- in the meantime he will have nicer facilities, probably more free kit, but the coaching will be about the same;
- Generally, if a boy is showing promise he will be played-up a year, maybe two, depending upon his physical development. That should be more than enough of a challenge for him;
- If he is exceptional the Cat 1 clubs will still be looking in five or six years' time;
- If you needed to be in a Cat 1 academy to be challenged Raheem Sterling would never have made it.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Big Clubs Interested in QPR 9 year old player. on 11:47 - Apr 11 with 1641 viewsbob566

i was watching Wilfred zaha last night and was thinking to myself that if ever there was a guy whose career didn't deliver its full potential.

It was great to see him playing well again last night albeit goons were dreadful. But what happened to that guys career. Touted as the next big thing. United hoover him up and here he is again five or whatever it is years later.

He's just an example of many and he's one of the lucky ones who was able to force his way back into regular first team premiership football.
Big Clubs Interested in QPR 9 year old player. on 12:39 - Apr 11 with 1612 viewsdaveB

Can see the problem that the kids parents face, a boy in my sons team is a big talent, he's just turned 8 and has been offered stuff by Chelsea, Fulham and Reading to sign for them but he'd have to give up his Sunday team with his mates. His parents have opted to stay at Wycombe's Development team so he can play with his friends for the next few years which is great but I can see the temptation.

Clubs will blind parents with this category 1 nonsense and about the level their kids will play and you'd have to be a very strong willed to say no and stop your kid playing for these teams but I'd love to see the numbers on how many kids from category 1 clubs backgrounds go on to become footballers compared to lower down. There is more than one way to make it in football and the likes of Dele Ali, Charlie Austin, Jamie Vardy even Raheem Sterling have shown you don't have to start at a big club to make it.

For me the answer should be to let the kid play with his mates where he is happy but i can see why parents get tempted and 9 times out of 10 whatever the choice it's because they want the best for their son rather than for money
Big Clubs Interested in QPR 9 year old player. on 13:30 - Apr 11 with 1564 viewsdavman

Big Clubs Interested in QPR 9 year old player. on 15:42 - Apr 10 by Northernr

Not really, I'd want him to enjoy it, he's 9. If he gets better and makes it then great, but that shouldn't be the concern for a 9 year old.

Further down the line if he is a brilliant 15/16 yo then he'll be challenged and furthered much more by playing in a first team squad than continuing to knock around with all the other excellent young boys in a well equipped academy. Facilities etc would be second to first team opportunities in my thinking, no point being furthered or challenged if it's not going to lead anywhere - and City, United, Chelsea have no intention of ever picking any of them, they just don't want anybody else to have him.

But fundamentally as a 9 yo it should be about enjoyment. Does he like it at QPR? Are his friends there? Is he happy? That's the important bit, not being furthered and challenged and whatever else the sleazes involved at these child hoarding Prem clubs put in their pitch.

This sums up my feelings on the subject - at 9 years old, it should be all about fun and enjoyment with a bit of coaching thrown in. However, that said, it must be really difficult for parents of children like this because they will have all kinds of people in their ear about what's best for their kid.

The money in football is sick. Without the money, this desparation for kids to 'make it' would be more palatable although it would still be there.

Good luck with whatever choice you make...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Big Clubs Interested in QPR 9 year old player. on 14:08 - Apr 11 with 1540 viewsheadhoops

Its ironic that even with all of these Cat 1 clubs, magnificent facilities, the best coaches using the latest coaching techniques, elite player programmes etc, etc our national team is still pants. We literally coach any individualism or flair out of our kids. Let them play and develop where they enjoy the experience, often with friends .

Gazza signed for Newcastle when he was 16.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Big Clubs Interested in QPR 9 year old player. on 14:30 - Apr 11 with 1520 viewsaston_hoop

The last England squad didn't have a single Chelsea, Arsenal or Manchester City youth player in it did it? Did have one QPR though! Better off at the superhoops!

But yeah completely agree with all those saying that as a 9 year old, football should be nothing more than having fun with your friends.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Big Clubs Interested in QPR 9 year old player. on 14:39 - Apr 11 with 1512 viewsAntti_Heinola

Big Clubs Interested in QPR 9 year old player. on 11:47 - Apr 11 by bob566

i was watching Wilfred zaha last night and was thinking to myself that if ever there was a guy whose career didn't deliver its full potential.

It was great to see him playing well again last night albeit goons were dreadful. But what happened to that guys career. Touted as the next big thing. United hoover him up and here he is again five or whatever it is years later.

He's just an example of many and he's one of the lucky ones who was able to force his way back into regular first team premiership football.

Get your point, but also disagree. Zaha is 24. His career is going along very nicely. Yes, United was the wrong move in retrospect, but it hasn't massively set him back I don't think. He's still really young, and he's playing regularly for a Prem team. And sometimes those moves can work. Liverpool took Redknapp at 16 or 17, kept him in the ressies for ages until he was ready, and he was a very good player for them. No one was shouting then about how he'd be better off playing every week for Bournemouth. It's different now of course, in many ways, but going to a bigger club, taking a step back to go forward, is not always a bad thing. Alli has done the same as Zaha, but it worked for him.
There is no 'right' way. there are many ways. Amen.

Bare bones.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024