Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"Why Did Rangers Stop Wearing a Celtic Kit?" and Other Kit Conundrums 22:37 - Sep 9 with 3092 viewsHadders

Does anyone know about what prompted the switch to a plain white home top in 1953, then back to hoops in 1959 (assuming the site below is accurate)? Many of you were around then... I guess few were alive when Rangers wore a Celtic kit, but what prompted the original change from green to blue in 1926 would be interesting to know, too. Maybe there is something on the QPR Report achives - I don't often go on there these days, as it seems a lonely place, but they have so much fabulous stuff for the historically-minded. http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Queens_Park_Rangers/Queens_Park_Rangers.htm
[Post edited 10 Sep 2017 22:22]
"Why did Rangers Stop Wearing a Celtic Kit?" and Other Kit Conundrums on 22:42 - Sep 9 with 3059 viewsVancouverHoop

I read somewhere that the change from green to blue was prompted by our terrible record after joining the Football League. Why blue though?
"Why Did Rangers Stop Wearing a Celtic Kit?" and Other Kit Conundrums on 23:03 - Sep 9 with 3015 viewsShotKneesHoop

Because blue and white hoops is so much more classy than green and white Hoops. So classy that Reading tried to copy the R's but got branded as the Fake Fake Fake Hoops.

Green and White hoops looks daft on grass.

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

(No subject) on 23:24 - Sep 9 with 2978 viewsPunteR

I thought it had something to do with the Hammersmith coat of arms..?

[Post edited 10 Sep 2017 22:54]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

(No subject) on 00:45 - Sep 10 with 2889 viewsHadders

Weirdly, according to that same site (which is pretty impressive, if you think about the research involved), Reading also went white in the same year as us (1953), though they only stuck with it for a couple of years.

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Reading/Reading.htm
[Post edited 10 Sep 2017 0:47]
"Why Did Rangers Stop Wearing a Celtic Kit?" and Other Kit Conundrums on 01:12 - Sep 10 with 2864 viewsVancouverHoop

This is absolute guesswork but it's possible the move away from hoops in the 50s was because they were thought to look old-fashioned. They suggested an earlier era, like quarters and chevrons. The white with blue trim, and blue shorts was very European looking at the time. Especially the bright blue shorts. Every English League team wore white, black or navy shorts back then. It wasn't until Liverpool changed to red shorts in the early 60s that other clubs began to change, In its day it our white/blue kit would have seemed very cutting edge. Maybe too much so for some.
"Why Did Rangers Stop Wearing a Celtic Kit?" and Other Kit Conundrums on 08:45 - Sep 10 with 2700 viewskingo

I think I read somewhere that the white shirt was to do with the introduction of floodlights and the thinking was that they would be easier to pick out.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

"Why Did Rangers Stop Wearing a Celtic Kit?" and Other Kit Conundrums on 08:54 - Sep 10 with 2683 viewsconnell10

I think the reason we changed from green and white hoops to blue and white hoops was because we fell out of the league or something and when we came back we had to change the colour of our kit which was to blue and white. Just a random choice I think.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

"Why Did Rangers Stop Wearing a Celtic Kit?" and Other Kit Conundrums on 09:11 - Sep 10 with 2658 viewssmegma

I blame Evil Les.

Or Lee Hoos.

Nah, it was that Fecktart Finney Fella.
Login to get fewer ads

"Why Did Rangers Stop Wearing a Celtic Kit?" and Other Kit Conundrums on 09:23 - Sep 10 with 2637 viewsDorse

The biggest kit conundrum of recent years is who on earth saw Nike's design and said: 'Stop the search - this one is perfect'.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

"Why Did Rangers Stop Wearing a Celtic Kit?" and Other Kit Conundrums on 10:28 - Sep 10 with 2563 viewsenfieldargh

"Why Did Rangers Stop Wearing a Celtic Kit?" and Other Kit Conundrums on 09:11 - Sep 10 by smegma

I blame Evil Les.

Or Lee Hoos.

Nah, it was that Fecktart Finney Fella.

Yes, it was Finney, he wanted us to mirror his favourite Irish team, Glenfield Crusaders

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

(No subject) on 17:19 - Sep 10 with 2350 viewsBrianMcCarthy

We never wore a Celtic kit. They stole ours.

We started wearing green and white hoops eleven years before they did.

I have no time for either of the Glaswegian sectarian teams, but we should always retain the green and white hoops as a third kit in my dreamy world.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2017 18:53]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

"Why did Rangers Stop Wearing a Celtic Kit?" and Other Kit Conundrums on 18:27 - Sep 10 with 2300 viewsCiderwithRsie

"Why did Rangers Stop Wearing a Celtic Kit?" and Other Kit Conundrums on 22:42 - Sep 9 by VancouverHoop

I read somewhere that the change from green to blue was prompted by our terrible record after joining the Football League. Why blue though?

I'd always heard that green was considered unlucky, but since it took over 30 years to work that out the League thing would make sense as a prompt.

As to "why blue?" "Why not?" I guess. Got to be something fairly dark if it's against white; and blue is about the closest colour to green (which after all is yellow + blue, and yellow-on-white wouldn't work.)

Have to say I didn't know we gt there before Celtc, hat-tip to Brian McCarthy on that one. Does anyone know when Shamrock Rovers first adopted green and white hoops? Can't have been before us as they only seem to have been founded in 1902.
"Why Did Rangers Stop Wearing a Celtic Kit?" and Other Kit Conundrums on 18:47 - Sep 10 with 2275 viewsoldranger

We did not go from Hoops to White shirts in the 48/49 season we tried Arsenal type shirts but blue instead of red (You will have to take my word for the colours) I attach a photo of the squad for that year. Reg Allen still here. Sorry posting the photo too difficult for me.!!!!
"Why did Rangers Stop Wearing a Celtic Kit?" and Other Kit Conundrums on 19:11 - Sep 10 with 2241 viewsVancouverHoop

"Why did Rangers Stop Wearing a Celtic Kit?" and Other Kit Conundrums on 18:27 - Sep 10 by CiderwithRsie

I'd always heard that green was considered unlucky, but since it took over 30 years to work that out the League thing would make sense as a prompt.

As to "why blue?" "Why not?" I guess. Got to be something fairly dark if it's against white; and blue is about the closest colour to green (which after all is yellow + blue, and yellow-on-white wouldn't work.)

Have to say I didn't know we gt there before Celtc, hat-tip to Brian McCarthy on that one. Does anyone know when Shamrock Rovers first adopted green and white hoops? Can't have been before us as they only seem to have been founded in 1902.

Earliest record of Shamrock Rovers is 1899 according to Wiki. Still later than our hoops.

Blue probably wasn't arbitrary. However shades of blue are the most commonly used colour range for any purpose in Europe and North America so it would likely be favourite. The Hammersmith arms rationale is a good shout.
"Why Did Rangers Stop Wearing a Celtic Kit?" and Other Kit Conundrums on 20:01 - Sep 10 with 2182 viewskarl

Don't want to appear as one upmanship and mentioned this before but Hibs wore green and white hoops from 1876 for a short while. Interestingly Kilmarnock wore blue and white hoops from 1902 for 60 ish years
"Why Did Rangers Stop Wearing a Celtic Kit?" and Other Kit Conundrums on 20:48 - Sep 10 with 2145 viewsGloucs_R

"Why Did Rangers Stop Wearing a Celtic Kit?" and Other Kit Conundrums on 20:01 - Sep 10 by karl

Don't want to appear as one upmanship and mentioned this before but Hibs wore green and white hoops from 1876 for a short while. Interestingly Kilmarnock wore blue and white hoops from 1902 for 60 ish years

Sorry, who? Hibs? Kilmarnock? What are they in, evo stick south or something?

Poll: Are we staying up?

"Why Did Rangers Stop Wearing a Celtic Kit?" and Other Kit Conundrums on 22:23 - Sep 10 with 2089 viewskarl

"Why Did Rangers Stop Wearing a Celtic Kit?" and Other Kit Conundrums on 20:48 - Sep 10 by Gloucs_R

Sorry, who? Hibs? Kilmarnock? What are they in, evo stick south or something?

Skin like a rhino for it don't worry! We're obviously at the point where Rangers can claim to be the first to wear the green hoops in England and most famously the blue ones anywhere
"Why Did Rangers Stop Wearing a Celtic Kit?" and Other Kit Conundrums on 22:35 - Sep 10 with 2076 viewsbrad

we are blue and hoops and proud.... in 20001 and 2 ... when we were in serious trouble .. the green and white hoops came to loftus road to help us out with 2 sell out friendles in pre season...well done celtic!!!
"Why did Rangers Stop Wearing a Celtic Kit?" and Other Kit Conundrums on 09:57 - Sep 11 with 1930 viewseastside_r

"Why did Rangers Stop Wearing a Celtic Kit?" and Other Kit Conundrums on 18:27 - Sep 10 by CiderwithRsie

This I think.

I am sure it says in 'A Complete Record' that as we had to apply for re-election twice in three years in the 20s, it was thought we needed a change of luck. Green apparently being bad luck for some people. I suppose they wanted to keep the hoops so blue was a simple choice.

Correct that we wore the green and white version before Celtic (I have been to their museum.) But in the same way that everyone links the green and white hoops with Celtic, when they think blue and white hoops they think of us (not Reading.)
"Why Did Rangers Stop Wearing a Celtic Kit?" and Other Kit Conundrums on 10:42 - Sep 11 with 1899 viewssmegma

"Why Did Rangers Stop Wearing a Celtic Kit?" and Other Kit Conundrums on 22:35 - Sep 10 by brad

we are blue and hoops and proud.... in 20001 and 2 ... when we were in serious trouble .. the green and white hoops came to loftus road to help us out with 2 sell out friendles in pre season...well done celtic!!!

Which was down to Martin ONeill who said 'when Wycombe were non league, QPR would send a team down to us When we got into the league they continued to send a team. I've never forgotten that'.
"Why Did Rangers Stop Wearing a Celtic Kit?" and Other Kit Conundrums on 10:50 - Sep 11 with 1892 viewshopphoops

Allegedly green became exorbitantly expensive in the 1920s, and the problem was exacerbated by the requirement that goalies wear green. So lots of teams cut their losses and changed colour. This was still the case in the 70s when ever-canny Jim Gregory made Phil Parkes play in red in order to cut his outlay.

Of course I don't fall for such bowlarks - it was all down to the 1926 global rush on cadmium to feed the fake cocktails market, and the soaring cost of yellow that resulted. Hence the widespread shift from green to blue kits.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

"Why Did Rangers Stop Wearing a Celtic Kit?" and Other Kit Conundrums on 15:09 - Sep 11 with 1791 viewsBoston

Quite like the darker 'Plymouth' green.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024